Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, all, great discussions! Some of you are so close to upcoming events it's scary. I'm glad the potential butterlfies of this little Japan visit are flying through your imaginations.

Oh, and for the record I have no idea if Disney ripped off Kimba or not. The "evidence" is mostly circumstantial and often based on hearsay and interpretation. Disney's official bakcstory has The Lion King being inspired by an idea that Katzenbger had on a flight, eventually turned into "Hamlet with lions". Tezuka saw it as an "homage" rather than a rip-off. And yet I couldn't resist the chance to troll a bit. :evilsmile:

Thanks, all, great discussions! Some of you are so close to upcoming events it's scary. I'm glad the potential butterlfies of this little Japan visit are flying through your imaginations.

Oh, and for the record I have no idea if Disney ripped off Kimba or not. The "evidence" is mostly circumstantial and often based on hearsay and interpretation. Disney's official bakcstory has The Lion King being inspired by an idea that Katzenbger had on a flight, eventually turned into "Hamlet with lions". Tezuka saw it as an "homage" rather than a rip-off. And yet I couldn't resist the chance to troll a bit. :evilsmile:
I think they did copied scenes but i belive the idea was original, i give disney that credit but i think someone saw Kimba and use it as templated as looked cool

Truthfully there is very little true originality in art especially film. But there is also very little that is a blatant ripoff. Homage or parody, inspiration or imitation, what's the difference. Things can influence us on such a subconscious level. Who can really say. Not I. So, just carry on and keep creating things. Elaborate on your influences if you please. If not someone will dissect it and come up with their own ideas. And a cycle emerges.

Disney Unauthorized History V: Ron Miller CEO
Chapter 14: Times of Change, Times of Troubles
Excerpt from The King is Dead: The Walt Disney Company After Walt Disney, an Unauthorized History by Sue Donym and Arman N. Said

With the opening of Tokyo Disneyland accomplished in April of 1983, E. Cardon “Card” Walker stepped down as Chairman of the Board for Walt Disney Productions. It was a career that began in the mail room and progressed up through the ranks of Production (he was a “Walt man”) until, upon the death of Walt Disney, he became one member of the “troika” that succeeded Walt, alongside Roy O. Disney and Donn Tatum. Through sheer brute force of personality, he pushed Tatum aside after Roy O.’s death to become the undisputed leader of Disney. His reign was one of “what would Walt do?”, a static business model whose management style, animation style, production style, and operations style had hardly changed from the 1960s. The company he left behind was practically undifferentiable from the one he inherited.

And now Ron Miller, son-in-law of Walt Disney, would be his chosen heir, just as he was sure Walt had intended. In his own mind, Walker was a caretaker, not a successor. He’d seen Walt’s vision enacted, even the techno-futurist EPCOT, though not in exactly the form that Walt envisioned. Now it was time for Walt’s family to take back the reigns. Ron, alas, was not quite ready. The man was clever and had some bold ideas, but he was shy, self-effacing, and lacked the type of take-charge leadership generally expected in a CEO. The board was reluctant to hand the keys to the kingdom to Miller. He’d need help.

former-disney-ceo-ron-miller-walt-disneys-son-in-law-passes-away-at-85-2.png

Ron Miller c.1980 (image source “laughingplace.com”)

Walker tapped one of the board members, Ray Watson, the former head of the Irvine Company, to replace him as Chairman. Watson was a real estate mogul, which, Walker thought, made him perfect to take the increasingly parks-driven company forward. He convinced Watson to step up as interim Chairman, at least until Miller was “ready”. Walker, meanwhile, would remain on both the Board of Directors and the Executive Committee, ensuring “quality control” and safeguarding “Walt’s vision”.

102212_FS_RememberingRayWatson_3.jpg

Ray Watson c.1980 (image source “D23.com”)

Ray Watson, meanwhile, expected the job of Chairman to be relatively simple. He just had to act as a shepherd for Miller for the next couple of years and then hand off the reigns. What he received would be the most challenging and stressful years of his life.

First off, he soon discovered that there was no business plan. None. The Disney company had a thousand creative balls in the air at any given time, but had no cohesive strategy for when each would launch or how to fund them. Second, company overhead was shocking. Rather than simply hire producers, directors, or actors to perform a specific job as needed, the way most studios at the time did, Disney liked to put them under long term contract, an echo of the “Studio System” of old. This meant that the payroll was swollen with idle employees.

The studios, which Watson had hardly visited while serving on the board, were now revealed to be a place where business shut down at lunch. The only place where the offices weren’t empty by 1 PM seemed to be wherever Jim Henson was working, which was largely the animation department at the moment (The Black Cauldron was entering into full swing at this point). By contrast, wherever Henson was working was a hurricane of creative chaos, Henson the calm eye at the center of the storm[1].

Ron Miller, on the other hand, was a challenge for Watson. He was tall, good looking, friendly, and had some bold new ideas, but he utterly lacked the business understanding to see them properly executed. He was poor with numbers and he lacked the public speaking ability to inspire confidence in board members or investors. He was good with, and to, his employees for the most part, but was unsure of himself when difficult decisions had to be made[2]. Watson soon came to realize that he would need to become the de facto CEO, which gave him pause.

Watson knew nothing about running a production studio. His entire career was built on real estate development and sales. Watson soon realized that he would need to cultivate a working relationship with Jim Henson. Henson wasn’t exactly the ideal businessman (he, like Walt before him, put artistic achievement well ahead of profit) but he at least had a good business sense. He could read a spreadsheet and create (and follow) a budget. He surrounded himself with people like David Lazer and Al Gottesman who did understand the details of the business and legal aspects, and then actually listened to them. And on top of all of that, Henson “spoke creative”. He could communicate with artists, writers, costume designers, actors, directors, performers, engineers, set designers, and makeup artists on their own terms. He knew the difference between felt and velvet, the difference between “blend” and “blush”, and the difference between a wide-angle lens and a fish-eye. He knew terms like “dolly zoom”, “hemstitch”, “servomotor”, “cel”, “back-beat”, and even “foundation” in the contexts of both set construction and makeup application. It was a language as alien to Watson as Swahili.

Watson would get his chance to work with Henson on three new attraction projects: The Dark Crystal: A Journey through Thra (a dark water ride debuting at Tokyo Disney), as well as Journey into the Imagination and Future-Probe, two new track rides debuting at EPCOT. Their first order of business was coming up with a better name for this last attraction, which had unfortunate medical connotations. Eventually, the pavilion would gain the name Horizons. The ride inside, A Look to the Horizon, would become an extension of the classic Disney Carousel of Progress ride that debuted at the 1964 World’s Fair, only this time looking into the future as 1983 saw it. Journey into the Imagination would feature a whimsical, Verne & Wells inspired literal “flight of fantasy” with Professor Dreamfinder and his dragon Figment. Jim Henson’s son Brian and “Creature Shop” designer Faz Fazakas would play critical roles in making the motions of the audio-animatronic figures as fluid and realistic as possible for all three projects.

Watson found that he could work well with Henson, who was as modest and self-effacing as Miller, but also quietly confident. The biggest challenges were Henson’s unwillingness to face confrontation and his utter disinterest in the mundane day-to-day management of personnel. “Ray, I came [to Disney] so that someone else could deal with that stuff,” Henson once told him. Henson instead delegated personnel issues down the chain and relied heavily on Tom Wilhite, David Lazer, or Bernie Brillstein to manage the “people wrangling”.

But in all, Watson found Henson to be a valuable asset, his unwitting “man inside”. Not only did Henson work well with the creative aspects of both the “Studio Side” and “Attractions Side” of the company, but he was increasingly close to Ron Miller and could be used as an inside track to figuring out Miller’s hidden thoughts. The biggest risk of this approach would be potentially alienating Outdoor Entertainment President Dick Nunis and Studio Vice President Tom Wilhite, both of whom felt slighted by Henson’s sudden rise to prominence in the company. Wilhite in particular saw Henson’s direct involvement in the studio productions, particularly live action productions, as honing in on his turf. Henson for his part seemed to openly get along well with both men, utterly oblivious to their simmering jealousy. Watson would need to defuse that potential time bomb, and fast.

2681559484_e20d0ac5bc_b_thumb.jpg

The Hyperion Avenue Studio, 1931 (Image source “findingwalt.com”)

Ron Miller himself gave Watson the pathway to deal with Wilhite: Hyperion Pictures[3], named for the “2701 Hyperion Avenue” address of the old Disney Studios location in Hollywood. Ron Miller had been pushing the idea for Hyperion, a studio focused on adult-oriented pictures, for years. Walker had always quashed the plan. But Hyperion was the type of bold new ideas Disney needed, Watson felt, and it also offered a near-term political solution, given the current state of affairs. Working with Miller, Henson, and Wilhite, Watson oversaw the founding and trademark of Hyperion Pictures. He then had Miller surprise Wilhite at the Grand Opening that May by formally announcing that Tom Wilhite would become President of the new studio[4]. It came with a spot on the Executive Committee.

Wilhite, of course, was ecstatic. Henson, who knew the secret ahead of time, was genuinely happy for him and smiled and clapped loudly. In fact, when Watson had first approached Henson about the Hyperion idea and asked him point blank who he thought should head the new label, Henson said “Tom” without a moment’s hesitation. After this, Wilhite’s simmering sense of injustice largely fizzled out and he and Henson developed a good working relationship.

CCO Jim Henson, meanwhile, would assume the new title of President of Walt Disney Studios, controlling the Walt Disney Motion Pictures, Walt Disney Animation, and Walt Disney Music divisions, and would soon absorb Walt Disney Television when Alan Wagner left his position as President of The Disney Channel in 1984 to found his own network, Boardwalk Entertainment.

The larger question, however, was what to with Dick Nunis, whose ambition was on full display.

* * *​

Disney Launches New Studio for Grown-Ups
The Hollywood Reporter, May 3rd, 1983

Today Walt Disney Productions announced the official grand opening of Hyperion Pictures, a new production label that will focus on content aimed at adults rather than children. Former studio Vice President Thomas Wilhite, a long-time Disney veteran, was named President of the new studio, which will remain under the larger organization of Walt Disney Productions.

scaletowidth

Logo based upon this (Image source “thinglink.com”)

“I am indeed proud and happy to announce that my friend Tom Wilhite will be President of this new studio,” announced a camera-shy Ron Miller, company CEO. “Tom has been a visionary asset to my father’s company and, under his leadership, I am certain that Hyperion will fly high.”

Disney’s Chief Creative Officer and new President of Disney Studios Jim Henson later added, “Tom’s very bright and hard working. He and I have worked very well together over the past couple of years and I know that he’ll do a great job.”

Never_Cry_Wolf_Poster.jpg

Hyperion’s first picture will be the nature drama Never Cry Wolf[5], produced in partnership with Amarok Productions. It is projected for a fall 1983 release.

[1] This is the go-to metaphor for Jim Henson’s productions in every account I read. He let the creatives run wild around him, yet somehow kept everything together, focused(ish), and moving forward. The role of Kermit on The Muppet Show was more metatextual than you think.

[2] I base all of this off of contemporary accounts in Disney War, Storming the Magic Kingdom, and other sources.

[3] The example of the Fantasia Films label and the specific office politics of this timeline have driven the creation of the new adult-oriented studio earlier than in our timeline, which in our timeline only came nearly a year later, after a long series of studies, consultations, focus groups, and branding exercises. The name from our timeline, Touchstone Pictures, came out of one of these focus groups.

[4] Playing with irony here. In our timeline Wilhite was fired by Disney in 1984 with the management shakeup and went on to create Hyperion Pictures himself. Among the studio’s productions was an animated film of Brave Little Toaster, which John Lassiter always wanted to produce as a CG feature.

[5] The first and only “Disney Production” to feature nudity in our timeline.

Nice shake ups at Disney there. I can see a wave of lay-offs or ‘redeployments’ soon to deal with the idle employees. That won’t go down well. Nor will shifting to a more solid ‘corporate’ setup with budgets, business plans and the Like esp if ‘it’s not what Walt would do’.

How much distance is there between Disney and Hyperion? Is it obvious that Hyperion van and does make stuff ‘independent’ of Disney?
Did Hyperion pick up any Disney assets and staff or is it all new?
I take it Walker didn’t try and block Hyperion now he's not in charge, or was he simply outvoted now?
CCO Hensen has indeed picked up a large ‘empire’ in a short time. Hope it all goes well for him.

I can see a wave of lay-offs or ‘redeployments’ soon to deal with the idle employees.
I can see a number of them getting shunted over to Hyperion where they'll have things to do.
Unless I've misunderstood, I expect Hyperion and Disney to be semi-autonomous, with coordination at the Board level on what pictures get made in which studio (Hyperion being a subdivision under the Disney umbrella, after all) but the actual running of the studio being entirely in-house with all the responsibility that entails.

Jim's growing list of titles and responsibilities will be mitigated by the equally expanding list of staff he can delegate to.
“Ray, I came [to Disney] so that someone else could deal with that stuff,”...
I suspect becoming President of Disney Studios is exactly the ideal balance point of control, creative freedom, and responsibility Jim was hoping for (if perhaps larger in scale) when he joined Disney in the first place. It's going to be interesting to see what combination of OTL and new pictures get made through the 80's and 90's.

Nice shake ups at Disney there. I can see a wave of lay-offs or ‘redeployments’ soon to deal with the idle employees. That won’t go down well. Nor will shifting to a more solid ‘corporate’ setup with budgets, business plans and the Like esp if ‘it’s not what Walt would do’.

How much distance is there between Disney and Hyperion? Is it obvious that Hyperion van and does make stuff ‘independent’ of Disney?
Did Hyperion pick up any Disney assets and staff or is it all new?
I take it Walker didn’t try and block Hyperion now he's not in charge, or was he simply outvoted now?
CCO Hensen has indeed picked up a large ‘empire’ in a short time. Hope it all goes well for him.
I can see a number of them getting shunted over to Hyperion where they'll have things to do.
Unless I've misunderstood, I expect Hyperion and Disney to be semi-autonomous, with coordination at the Board level on what pictures get made in which studio (Hyperion being a subdivision under the Disney umbrella, after all) but the actual running of the studio being entirely in-house with all the responsibility that entails.

Jim's growing list of titles and responsibilities will be mitigated by the equally expanding list of staff he can delegate to.

I suspect becoming President of Disney Studios is exactly the ideal balance point of control, creative freedom, and responsibility Jim was hoping for (if perhaps larger in scale) when he joined Disney in the first place. It's going to be interesting to see what combination of OTL and new pictures get made through the 80's and 90's.

I think Graham answered your questions for you, OB! Yes, Hyperion and Disney have divided up some assets and management. Tom will still answer to Jim as CCO, but both report to Ron Miller.

@Geekhis Khan You've been spelling John Lasseter wrong this whole timeline

D'oh!! I'll fix that! :happyblush

Truthfully there is very little true originality in art especially film. But there is also very little that is a blatant ripoff. Homage or parody, inspiration or imitation, what's the difference. Things can influence us on such a subconscious level. Who can really say. Not I. So, just carry on and keep creating things. Elaborate on your influences if you please. If not someone will dissect it and come up with their own ideas. And a cycle emerges.

They say there are only 7 basic stories, right? There's a reason copyright law is such a tangled mess. What's the burden for proving plagarism vs. influence? Theft vs. homage? It's strange how some of the famous music lawsuits can go one way and another completely differently when I for one can see the similarities abd differences in both (e.g. George Harrison's My Sweet Lord can lose its case but Led Zepplin's Stairway to Heaven can win). Tezuka may have been able to make a case given the gross similarities in a lot of the scenes under US law, but Japanese law is far looser in this regards, so from Tezuki's standpoint getting "copied" is part of the game. Either way, Tezuka seemed like a pretty chill guy.

They say there are only 7 basic stories, right? There's a reason copyright law is such a tangled mess. What's the burden for proving plagarism vs. influence? Theft vs. homage? It's strange how some of the famous music lawsuits can go one way and another completely differently when I for one can see the similarities abd differences in both (e.g. George Harrison's My Sweet Lord can lose its case but Led Zepplin's Stairway to Heaven can win). Tezuka may have been able to make a case given the gross similarities in a lot of the scenes under US law, but Japanese law is far looser in this regards, so from Tezuki's standpoint getting "copied" is part of the game. Either way, Tezuka seemed like a pretty chill guy.
Yeah, I am definitely one of those "imitation is the highest form of flattery" thinkers. Honestly I feel copyright laws restrict creativity more than protecting intellectual property. Look at someone like Tarantino who has literally built an entire career off imitation and homage. On the music front we have several music genres built upon sampling older or obscure music. More often than not giving those sampled tracks a new life and audience. Again this is my own personal opinion and perception. I understand why we have and in some cases need intellectual property copyright laws. I just feel they stifle and undermine creative freedom more.

Btw, in my tirades I failed to mention how much I loved the Japan trip post. I am a huge Nipponophile!! I am so surprised no one has mentioned Hayao Miyazaki and Ghibli in reference to the implications of Jim's interest in Japanese animation. I really see Jim jumping onto dubbing Nausicaa as soon as possible. Building a partnership between the studios way ahead of OTL. Just imagine those two wonderful artists collaborating. A Ghibli animated Dark Crystal sequel/spinoff and a live action Henson puppeteered Totoro. God damn that tickles me in all kinds of places lol. Please take these ideas.

Last edited:
live action Henson puppeteered Totoro
Thoughtful contemplation of that actually working ensues.

I've just looked it up and by 1982 (as far as this TL's gotten) Miyazaki's only made Cagliostro and the various television series he's worked on. It's not going to be until 1984's Nausicaa that's going to get him noticed by anyone not already familiar with his work.
I think a reasonably earliest collaboration with Disney, even in this timeline, won't be until 1989 when Kiki's Delivery Service introduces the world to a film about very ordinary magic without an antagonist.

I could definitely see TTL's Disney bringing a screenplay co-produced by Ghibli to life, my preference is for something original written by Miyazaki and brought to life by Henson & Disney but if they could work out the publishing rights I'd love to see Disney try for an international cast in an adaptation of Castle of Cagliostro. Perhaps Henson Associates could do some animatronics works for the Ghibli Museum, even if the direct Ghibli/Disney connection isn't made TTL. All that said I think Miyazaki and Henson would get along brilliantly.

Thoughtful contemplation of that actually working ensues.

I've just looked it up and by 1982 (as far as this TL's gotten) Miyazaki's only made Cagliostro and the various television series he's worked on. It's not going to be until 1984's Nausicaa that's going to get him noticed by anyone not already familiar with his work.
I think a reasonably earliest collaboration with Disney, even in this timeline, won't be until 1989 when Kiki's Delivery Service introduces the world to a film about very ordinary magic without an antagonist.

I could definitely see TTL's Disney bringing a screenplay co-produced by Ghibli to life, my preference is for something original written by Miyazaki and brought to life by Henson & Disney but if they could work out the publishing rights I'd love to see Disney try for an international cast in an adaptation of Castle of Cagliostro. Perhaps Henson Associates could do some animatronics works for the Ghibli Museum, even if the direct Ghibli/Disney connection isn't made TTL. All that said I think Miyazaki and Henson would get along brilliantly.
I know, I am saying that Jim's increased interest in Japanese animation is most definitely going to bring Miyazaki's Nausicaa when it is released to his attention. I believe he would waste no time procuring distribution and dubbing rights for the West. And an immediate friendship/admiration would strike up between the two artists. Which IMO would lead to production partnerships that in turn could see some melding of OTL productions of the two. Like....
Lets not jump into sacriliging with live-action remakes, let alone of Ghibli.
I meant that it is not a remake. It would be an international production made in collaboration between Ghibli and Disney.

Figment-Mania!
Figment-Mania!
Excerpt from PM Magazine, broadcast April 19th, 1983

TITLE CARD: “PM Magazine”

PM Magazine theme music plays. Wipe to…

Exterior – EPCOT – Daytime
Susan Dahlin and Tom McNamara, hosts of PM Magazine[1], are on site at EPCOT Center in Walt Disney World, Florida. Wide shot of the park; Spaceship Earth, the geodesic sphere, is visible in the background. Cut to Susan and Tom in front of the new Imagination Pavilion building.

pm-magazine-5c2b1059-8aec-4272-a750-cdcd260a2af-resize-750.jpeg

(Image Source “alchetron.com”)

Tom
Move Over Mickey, because here comes Figment!

Susan
Yes, Tom, it’s the little purple dragon that has taken the world by storm!

Tom
No kidding, Susan! Figment and his handler Professor Dreamfinder are the hosts and mascots of EPCOT’s new ride, Journey into the Imagination, here at the brand-new Imagination Pavilion, as well as the hosts of the new Disney Channel afterschool series Dreamfinders!

Susan
And did you know, Tom, that Figment was created by Brian Henson[2], the son of Jim Henson, creator of the Muppets?​

Tom
Well, I do now! The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, does it, Susan?

Susan
No, it does not, Tom…and here he comes now!​

“Professor Dreamfinder” (Chuck McCann) approaches with Figment on his shoulder and “The Great Wizard Gellz” (Dave Goelz) walks up behind them, secretly controlling Figment.

Tom
Joining us now is Professor Dreamfinder, and his sidekick Figment.

Figment
(looks askance, cocks head) Sidekick?

Susan
Aww, he’s adorable! (Figment smiles and opens his mouth as Susan scratches his chin)

Figment
(hamming it up) I can’t help it, Susan Daahhhlin. Hey, do you date dragons[3]?​

All laugh.

Prof. Dreamfinder
Now now, Figment! Mind your manners! (pets Figment, who reacts with a smile and a laugh)

Tom
And behind you is the Great Wizard Gellz, yes?​

Gellz bows.

Prof. Dreamfinder
Why, yes my good friend and confidant! He helps us to create the magic within our imaginations! Please be sure not to disturb his meditations!

Susan
So, Professor, I hear that you created Figment from out of your own imagination!

Prof. Dreamfinder
Oh, yes! I just used my imagination and I thought… (sings), “two tiny wings, eyes big and yellow, horns of a steer, but a lovable fellow! From head to tail, he's royal purple pigment, and there, voilà! You've got a Figment!” And there he was!

Figment
That’s not how I remember things, Tom. (flaps wings with annoyance and shoots purple smoke from his nose, eliciting a quick laugh from Tom & Susan)

Susan
So, Professor, Figment, you’ve already become favorites with Disney fans[4]. Your Disney Channel show Dreamfinders is becoming an afterschool hit. Why do you think you’re so popular?

Prof. Dreamfinder
Why, I believe that it’s inherent in children of all ages to see and know the magic of using their imaginations! Why, the very idea connects all of us together as one! How can people not feel a part of it?​

Figment
All those fan letters aren’t addressed to you, pops!​

Tom & Susan laugh.

Tom
(stifling a laugh) So, tell us about the Journey into the Imagination ride.​

Figment
Sure thing, Tom! (starts moving head and arm in circles in conjunction with his descriptions) It goes ‘wooo’ and ‘woooaah’ and up with a ‘weee!!’ and…​

Prof. Dreamfinder
(interrupts, hand on Figment’s paw) Perhaps I should handle this, Figment!​

Figment
Alright, pops. I’ll just wait right here. Hey, anybody need a light[5]? (shoots a puff of purple smoke from his nostrils, flaps his wings, and laughs)

Prof. Dreamfinder

Yes, the, ah, Journey into the Imagination is a magical trip with Figment and me through the power of the human mind, exploring the magical things that you can do when you use your imagination! The places you can visit! The worlds you can envision! The things you can create, if only you trust in your imagination! Why, on this ride you can even see the birth of Figment!​

Figment
Wait, what?​

Prof. Dreamfinder
Our visitors can learn how, with the magic of their imaginations, they too can create fine art, incredible literature, and even science!​

Susan
That sounds like a lot of fun!​

Figment
(shrugs) It’s a living.​

Prof. Dreamfinder
Now now, Figment! Let’s be positive!​

Figment
What? I’m the one who has to do all the leaps and pirouettes! You just have to sit there and talk!​

Tom
(laughs) Professor, it looks like your imagination is getting the better of you!​

Prof. Dreamfinder
(points to Tom) Ah! (beat) Yes, we can all let our imaginations run away with us sometimes! (scratches Figment under the chin, who reacts to it) But keep feeding your imagination with new experiences and it will grow big, strong, and healthy, and make you a creative Dreamfinder too!​

Figment
Speaking of feeding, I’m starving. Where’s the grub, pops?

Tom
(laughing) Well, with that we’ll let you go! Thank you, Professor, Figment. (gestures to Gellz in the background) And thanks to the Great Wizard Gellz, of course!
Gellz smiles and bows.

Prof. Dreamfinder
And thank you Tom and Susan! And to all of your viewers at home, please come and visit us here at the Imagination Pavilion in fabulous EPCOT Center in Walt Disney World in sunny Florida!

Figment
Yea, come and see us! Especially me! (laughs and nods, bobs eyebrows, flaps wings)

Prof. Dreamfinder
Say “goodbye,” Figment.

Figment
(waves to camera) Goodbye, Figment!

Susan
(turns to camera) And thank you all for tuning in once again to PM Magazine, coming to you today from EPCOT Center in Walt Disney World! Next, we’ll visit Spaceship Earth and get a preview of the upcoming Horizons Pavilion, opening this fall!​

PM Magazine theme music plays. Cut to TITLE CARD and commercial.

[1] PM Magazine was the first of the “Magazine Shows” that were popular in the ‘70s and ‘80s. They were sort of a “Today Show”, but broadcast just before prime time. They were usually as light, fluffy, and sweet as cotton candy, and just as substantial. Magazine shows either had their journalists seated in front of screens or, as was the case with PM Magazine, occasionally travelling to locations for interviews. PM Magazine even had a custom van. Check out a preview of the show in all its early ‘80s glory here: https://alchetron.com/PM-Magazine

[2] In this timeline, this was a persistent misunderstanding that Brian worked very hard for years to dispel. While Brian was justifiably proud of his animatronic work in bringing the figure to life, he worked hard to give the credit for Figment’s creation to Tony Baxter and Steve Kirk. Tony and Steve were annoyed at first, but soon took it with a combination of resignation and as a good excuse to playfully poke fun at Brian, who was greatly embarrassed by the whole situation.

[3] Good old-fashioned family misogyny!

[4] As is often the case, Figment also gained a small but vociferous “hatedom”, particularly from hardcore fans of the classic Disney characters, like Mickey Mouse. It’s similar to what happened with Elmo on Sesame Street.

[5] The original draft said “Mind if I smoke?” Disney cut that line almost immediately.

Well. Aside from the Figment that both EPCOT and the public deserve, perhaps there's a deeper effect. Maybe success with the Figment means that more and more characters (originally) unique to the parks show up in rides and as walk-aronuds, and Classic Disney Shorts characters are slower to invade (parts of) the parks outside of Fantasylands and Toontowns. It will happen eventually, if for no other reason than that people retire and someone from Marketing who has no experience in either Production or Imagineering will inevitably enter a position of power. However, even then, we could see, say, background characters for certain properties invented for the ride version of a property, then get a small but prominent role in a sequel or television spinoff, or possibly get a movie all his/her own.

If this causes the premature development of the Disney Fairies/Pixie Hollow franchise, that could sink future plans for a future Disney park anywhere in the British Commonwealth (What with Peter Pan in perpetual copyright for the sake of the Osmond Street Children's Hospital, which in turn inspired the Sonny Bono Act, which is in Disney's vested interest not to butterfly), but as the only countries that could make it work would have been Australia and possibly Singapore that's little loss. This could otherwise bring dividends in the 00s if more than Pirates of The Carribean (who are hanging out more in the Indian Ocean nowadays), The Haunted Mansion, and The Country Bears are greenlit for production, and all of them besides Pirates get better scripts and production values. Who wants Figment to get his own movie, especially if it's a world hopping one? Who wants to see that purple dragon become a "special friend" for Sora or his analogue in this timeline?

Figment does sound like fun.

I wonder how many D&D campaigns had there Wizard and his wisecracking Dragon - or Fire Lizard for the Pern fans- after Figment's Disney debut?

Hummmm.... given the timing I wonder if Figment, or a dragon like him could turn up in the TSR/Marvel D&D cartoon?

Who wants Figment to get his own movie, especially if it's a world hopping one? Who wants to see that purple dragon become a "special friend" for Sora or his analogue in this timeline?
Dude Square not even exist yet...and KH was a lucky shot square used to share office with disney japan at the time

Status
Not open for further replies.