Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Disney dub of Sailor Moon could easily be the best of both worlds given the high quality of the dubbing cast and Disney keeping the overall show unchanged (including the LGBTQ relationships).
Kinda reminds me of Tokyopop's Sailor Moon novels, which had a similar, if more literal, application: combining elements of the DiC dub and Japanese original.

As for the dub overall, I saw a YouTube comment where the DiC dub had more personality but the Viz dub is more accurate to the original show. I think the Disney dub of Sailor Moon could easily be the best of both worlds given the high quality of the dubbing cast and Disney keeping the overall show unchanged (including the LGBTQ relationships).
So we get to keep the dub names like Serena and Darien yet also not have the implications of kissing cousins? Neat! Though it will McFly Zoycite, thought she was a great villainess... Good with the bad, I guess.

I'll have to look her up, thanks! *looks up* Ah, Rugrats, got it. I'll figure out what she's up to.
She may been associated with Rugrats (and Doug, and Ren & Stimpy, and Rocko), but that was strictly from Nick hiring her as an independent contractor and creative consultant, asking her to head out and look for animators that just had characters that had been put in their bottom drawer because all networks wanted were pre-sold characters, as Geraldine Laybourne would describe. With Warner retaining Nickelodeon (circumventing the sensitive topic of high-quality animation's high cost for the network by direct intervention by Warner), and the subsequent butterflying of Coffey's initial involvement with Nick, the whole topic on budget-building and working out commissions for pilots would theoretically not be needed for Nick at all.

Meanwhile, with a seemingly earlier shift towards animation that isn't strictly just based on pre-existing comic strips or for selling products, Coffey's own departure from MWS is also up in the air too, depending on whether they follow that shift too (which could allow her to take a role in pushing for original animation, though the circumstances would be different). And of course, even if she were to depart, the question is then whether she fully drops out of animation with the same reasoning as OTL (as I doubt the person that recommended her Nick OTL would do so TTL), ends up approaching a different company to handle original animation as a creative consultant and seek out creators (and without the same folks that are still at Nick TTL, would likely not result in the Nicktoons as we know them OTL), or ends up getting poached by a company and put to manage original animation. Whatever the case, it's quite possible Rugrats, Doug, and many other Nicktoons of the era are either just butterflied (Rugrats, for instance, given the circumstances; same with Rocko and Real Monsters, and to some degree Hey Arnold!, Angry Beavers and Wild Thornberrys) or appear later, whether as animation or not (Doug, for instance, was originally being pitched as a children's book, before Coffey saw its potential; SpongeBob, and maybe CatDog too?).

---

And in the process of writing this post, thoughts in my head emerged on Viacom...

Last edited:
I am not asking for huge success, I would like moderate success. In the 1990s it would be too hard to make a live action adaption unless you do suitimation and miniatures.”

What if they work with Gerry Anderson and use supermarionation for the Patlabors?
Oh god I just remembered something, Cop Rock...
I kinda like the concept of Cop Rock but I think it should have been a made for TV movie instead of a TV series.

So we get to keep the dub names like Serena and Darien yet also not have the implications of kissing cousins? Neat! Though it will McFly Zoycite, thought she was a great villainess... Good with the bad, I guess.
I think that's probably where a Disney Dub could go, but I'd like to see if Disney could maintain as much of the Japanese names as possible (like Usagi). It's likely but I don't think anyone ITTL or OTL will be furious over some Anglicized names as long as the dubbing is good and the main story is preserved.

Speaking of dubs, is there any chance that Disney could set up their own dubbing company, like in Orlando perchance? I can see them officially setting up shop after Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies where they dub animated films and TV series like the Ghibli films, Sailor Moon, and etc., like an early Funimation.

While Japanese media is probably a given for dubbing at Disney, there is one European TV series that will be both incredibly difficult to acquire yet extremely rewarding for the Disney Triumvirate:

I think Gerry Anderson works.
I can also see a supermarionation spin-off movie in the West based on Patlabor, perhaps through Hyperion Pictures for Walt Disney Entertainment. It'll be like G-Saviour, but actually good.

With Hikaru Should the commanding officer of the Excelsior the next question is who are the rest of the crew? The following list is from Memory Beta
Red - my choices

USS Excelsior personnel
First officer

Lieutenant Commander Meredith Cutler (2290)
Lieutenant Commander Janice Rand (early 2290) - It seem in the OTL canon she remains the Communications Officer

Commander Anik (2293)
Lieutenant Commander Dmitri Valtane (until 2293)
Commander Sencus (2294)
Rem Aikyn
Science officer
Lieutenant Commander Dmitri Valtane (until 2293)
Commander Sencus (2294)
Commander Xon - my own suggestion
Communications officer
Lieutenant Commander Janice Rand (from 2288)
Lieutenant Russel Roose (2294)
Chief engineer
Lieutenant Commander Martin Lukas (2280s, 2290)
Lieutenant Commander Lahra (2289)
Lieutenant Commander Tim Henry (2290)
Norquist Svenson (2294)
Chief medical officer
Doctor Judith Klass (2289)
Doctor Bernard Hans (2294)
Doctor Christine Chapel
Security chief
Lieutenant Commander Meredith Cutler (2289)
Commander Peter Gavin (2294)
Leonard James Akaar (2298)
Helm
Ensign Violet Bays (2294)
Lieutenant Heather Keith, helmsman (2289)
Lojur, helmsman (2290s)
Shandra Docksey
Transporter chief
Chief Petty Officer Darnell Renyck (2289)

Disney Shorts 1987-1988
Disney Shorts (1987-1988)

Muppet Babies: Princess Piggy
: An appearance by the Muppet Babies (Muppet versions) where Piggy, inspired by Cinderella, pretends to be a Princess and the rest of the gang play along, Kermit as her reluctant (and snarky) Prince Charming.

Waggle Rock: Red’s Rockin’ Review: The Waggle Rock gang share a rock & roll inspired miniature singalong. Even the Gozers and the Krogs end up singing along.

fraggle-rock.jpg

(Image source “Variety.com”)

Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves: An animated sequence from Musicana featuring anthropomorphic birds enacting the story of Ali Baba from the One Thousand and One Nights. The accompanying music is “Scheherazade” by Nicholai Rimsky-Korsakov, but given a Middle Eastern tonal makeover.

1619353178190.png

(Image source “disney.fandom.com”)

Dopey and the Timid Turtle: An animated sequence where Dopey the Dwarf from Snow White encounters a shy turtle and warmhearted comedy ensues.

Mickey & Kermit: Trapped in Computerland!: Muppet Kermit and Mickey, assisted by Dr. Honeydew and Beaker, use the Shrink Ray from Innerspace to explore the inside of a computer. The two, now animated, explore how a computer works, but get trapped and Beaker helps them escape in a literally shocking finale.

Tin Toy Troubles!: fully 3-D computer animated short by the Disney Digital Division where an old fashioned tin wind-up toy encounters a monstrous, slobbering baby[1].

tin-toy.jpg

(Image source “thefilmguystash.blogspot.com”)

Catfish Bend: The Big Flood: The animated adventures of the Catfish Bend gang, last seen in the Song of the South remake, where the Mississippi floods and adventure ensues.

The Vanishing Prairie II: Hope for the Prairie: Roy Disney produces this follow-on documentary to his 1954 The Vanishing Prairie, but this time explores the conservation efforts being done to restore and preserve sections of the Great Plains.

1180w-600h_042320_archives-spotlight-vanishing-prairie-780x440.jpg

(Image source “D23.com”)

Hand Jive: It’s The Muppets without the Muppets! Skilled Muppet Performers Dave Goelz, Kevin Klash, Fran Brill, Richard Hunt, Steve Witmer, and Karen Prell enact a comedy routine using only their bare hands![2]

eg1fm2b42ni21.jpg

(Image source “Reddit.com”)

Frankenweenie: Live action, black & white. A young genius is sad when his dog is hit by a car, so like a modern-day Frankenstein, he brings it back from the dead![3]

Bbi2mwAC8pqU8sXYlaAtdM7smezFP_mxkAhGsEIlovMA-py8BB47qaQd2B3IKjWieYANdblkWRem0a1ou1TYPU4JihJihoOaM0AHpxneuXTnBSncFG5vNXKYrg=w720-h405-rw

(Image source Google Play)

Tink in Fairyland: Tinkerbell returns to the Land of the Fairies and encounters old friends and old rivals alike. Can she set aside her pique long enough to make up?

Select Disney Property and Rights 1989

Intellectual Property Ownership:

Walt Disney original characters and films
The Muppets (save Kermit and the Sesame Street Muppets) including Waggle Rock and The Dark Crystal
MGM Film Library post-1986 (full), MGM Film Library up to 1986 (20%)
Ghostbusters
Back to the Future (shared with Amblin)
Fantasia Films and Hyperion library
Marvel properties
TSR properties
The Lone Ranger (rights acquired with Wrather purchase)

Production & Distribution Rights:

Winnie the Pooh characters (IP Stephen Slesinger, Inc.)
Mary Poppins (select film rights; IP P.L. Travers family)
Thomas the Tank Engine (US & Canada Rights with Britt Productions and Clearwater Productions; IP Rev. Awbry)
Studio Ghibli productions (US & Canada Distribution only)
Transformers, Jem, Inhumanoids, My Little Pony (IP Hasbro)
Bio-Force Five (IP Saban Productions)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (film and theme park rights only; IP Eastman & Laird)
Lassie (rights acquired with Wrather purchase)
Buck Rogers (production and distribution rights via Lorraine Williams)

[1] Basically this timeline’s Tin Toy from Pixar:

[2] Think Oobi.

[3] Same as our timeline, just later.

Last edited:
Nice shorts there, esp the Bison one- good Disney is highlighting the message. Hope they are contributing cash to the cause too. In fact is there a post to be Gand on Disney Corp’s charitable work @Geekhis Khan ?

“Dopey the Dwarf from Snow White encounters a shy turtle” - my Brian automatically read that as Ninja Turtle...

Hum.. does Tin Toy hint at Toy Story still happening?

Thanks for the owned and distribution breakdown there. Very useful.

As always, more please!

This crop of shorts has created quite a flurry of variety!

Holy carpals. Does this mean that Oobi is created at Disney by the famous Muppeteers?

Shouldn't Ghostbusters be under the list of fully-owned IPs?

I did not expect Lassie and the Lone Ranger to be at least partially owned by Disney.

With all this said and done, do you think we can have a package film where Kermit and the gang poke fun at all that Disney owns or shares the rights to? If it can work for their Star Wars episode, it can work for this movie.

Thank you for compiling all of the current intellectual properties that Disney owns. While it is very helpful for future ideas about films or theme park rides, there's a whole lot of surprises (like the TMNT rights and Lassie ITTL).

Ali Baba is a nice sneak peek into what's to come with Musicana, and I can't wait to see what other shorts will come with this sequel to Fantasia.

Dopey and the Timid Turtle sounds like a really wholesome short and a well-deserved one for such a lovable character in a Disney classic.

Mickey & Kermit: Trapped in Computerland!: Muppet Kermit and Mickey, assisted by Dr. Honeydew and (Beakerm) use the Shrink Ray from Innerspace to explore the inside of a computer. The two, now animated, explore how a computer works, but get trapped and Beaker helps them escape in a literally shocking finale.
Gotta have to detect that typo there.

Seeing Muppet Mickey in these shorts is such a treat, and the plot line just reminds me so much of the modern Mickey Mouse cartoons OTL that I can't help but love it, especially when it's under Henson's creative direction. Still, I wonder how much we'll get to see the exchange between mediums of puppetry and animation for all of these characters over time. It'll probably be a lot, which might bring some shenanigans between the Animation Studios and the Creatureworks over Walt and Jim's prized characters.

Tin Toy Troubles!: fully 3-D computer animated short by the Disney Digital Division where an old fashioned tin wind-up toy encounters a monstrous, slobbering baby[1].
27d.jpg

Toy Story is coming.....

While I think Toy Story is a beautiful movie, it seems that it did have a hellish development cycle (all the more surprising that it turned out to be a critically acclaimed success). I don't think that's the case ITTL but maybe we'll get to see some of the characters come to life in this movie like Woody and Buzz while keeping the buddy movie tone. At least we get to avoid the failed Toy Story pitch with unlikable and irredeemable Woody (Katzenberg really dropped the ball with that one....).

Vanishing Prairie seems to be a return to the old nature documentaries that Walt used to do back in the day. With that in mind, I wonder if there's enough room for additional documentaries about the sea, relating to topics like coral bleaching or plastic/trash's effect on the ocean ecosystem.

I won't be surprised if Hand Jive becomes a legitimate Muppet show ITTL for The Disney Channel. Maybe it'll be the Oobi of this timeline, but regardless I can see the appeal of doing a comedy show with the cheapest Muppets possible (seriously, you cannot go any lower than literal hands with googly eyes), showing everyone that it's the performers that contribute the most towards crafting a convincing character like Kermit.

Very nice to see Frankenweenie here ITTL, although we'll see if it will be expanded into a legitimate movie, whether animated or live-action.

Tinkerbell gets into some trouble in the land of the fairies, but could this actually spawn the Tinkerbell franchise like OTL?

Imagine bringing Patlabor 2 to some sort of TV arc?
It's possible that they could adapt it for TV, although I can see the OVAs and the TV series diverging a bit when it comes to the themes and character interactions, since they do have separate continuities.

Since the Entertainment Pavilion in a thing in the timeline, it's time that it got a logo for EPCOT:
EntertainmentPavilionLogo.png

Let me know what you think!

While I think Toy Story is a beautiful movie, it seems that it did have a hellish development cycle (all the more surprising that it turned out to be a critically acclaimed success). I don't think that's the case ITTL but maybe we'll get to see some of the characters come to life in this movie like Woody and Buzz while keeping the buddy movie tone. At least we get to avoid the failed Toy Story pitch with unlikable and irredeemable Woody (Katzenberg really dropped the ball with that one....).
I can only imagine what Toy Story and its production is going to be like minus a here ABC-bound Katzenberg and the Black Friday cut.

Last edited:
I can only imagine what Toy Story and its production is going to be like minus a here ABC-bound Katzenberg and the Black Friday cut.
Same, although it's very possible that Toy Story as we know it will be butterflied away since the story was essentially forged from that terrible development cycle. Plus Jim Henson is there, so who knows what he will add to the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.