Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Barney the dinosaur still a thing ITTL?
Maybe Jim Henson proves one does not need to be overly simplistic when edutaining preschoolers and kindergarteners.
I could see the original Backyard Gang tapes being the same, with more complex storytelling as time goes on.

I kinda have these ideas where Barney is an aspiring sorcerer and extended exposure to his magic causes the backyard gang to gain magic as time goes on.

Last edited:
with more complex storytelling as time goes on.
SOMEONE AGREES!

Maybe Trey Parker (yes, that Trey Parker) directs Barney's Great Adventure ITTL (he was considered at one point to IOTL, if I recall) and rather than a boring, padded out slogfest, it's an affectionate parody of 80s and 90s family adventure movies in the same way Princess Bride parodied fairy tales and fantasy.

Considering MICKEY is intended younger kid to learn how to use computers and computer language I doubt it'll officially support Elite.
Ah, true natively, but I bet they get hacked and are soon running all sorts of stuff.

In the 90’s someone will make a MICKEY run Doom for the lolz.

SOMEONE AGREES!

Maybe Trey Parker (yes, that Trey Parker) directs Barney's Great Adventure ITTL (he was considered at one point to IOTL, if I recall) and rather than a boring, padded out slogfest, it's an affectionate parody of 80s and 90s family adventure movies in the same way Princess Bride parodied fairy tales and fantasy.
Hmm...Maybe we show Barney training under a great Wizard and using a duckie Umbrella as a Magical Spear-Wand thingie in combat after Tray and his buddy Matt Stone watch some Highlander.

Henson: I won’t just get your kids addicted to TV, but the Internet as well!
I know your joking, but knowing him he'd probably make it so that Disney take steps to avoid both of those.

I honestly do find it hilarious teenage nature will make what would be M-Rated games be played on Mickey. Or even worse: Non-Disney stuff!
Maybe Jim Henson proves one does not need to be overly simplistic when edutaining preschoolers and kindergarteners. This might also butterfly away the Teletubbies too.
Maybe not Teletubees, but I'm all for Barney out!
Apparently execs misunderstood Spirit of Christmas, and he turned it down. Though the idea of him and Matt Stone making a genuinely family-friendly work would be interesting.

Though the idea of him and Matt Stone making a genuinely family-friendly work would be interesting.
Maybe he doesn't turn it down ITTL, but (after revealing Spirit of Christmas*isn't* for kids) explains to the execs that he usually doesn't "do" family-friendly stuff. He and Matt would be on board purely for the hell of it; because this is something they've never done before. Could be fun.

Maybe he doesn't turn it down ITTL, but (after revealing Spirit of Christmas*isn't* for kids) explains to the execs that he usually doesn't "do" family-friendly stuff. He and Matt would be on board purely for the hell of it; because this is something they've never done before. Could be fun.
although it might boomerang lol.... hey doing this feel good stuff actually feels good, lets do more of it

although it might boomerang lol.... hey doing this feel good stuff actually feels good, lets do more of it
I can picture them being masters of career mood whiplash, produce something wholesome and profound with thought and time put into it one moment and a season of South Park produced on a one-week-per-episode basis the next.

I can picture them being masters of career mood whiplash, produce something wholesome and profound with thought and time put into it one moment and a season of South Park produced on a one-week-per-episode basis the next.
In that same vein, I can imagine their take on Barney being his usual happy go lucky self one moment, then making a surprisingly dry and acerbic quip (in that same happy-go-lucky tone) the next

Hopefully NOT. We do not need him to torment everyone of this TL.
For strictly personal reasons, I kind of hope Barney is still a thing TTL as my life would be very different and maybe not as happy if the big purple dinosaur wasn't as big and as detested as he was OTL.

marathag

Banned
good idea

i still use a compaq keyboard, 22 years of use, and print on keys not worn one bit, and still works like a charm.
(very heavy keyboard also)
I still have one of these on one of my secondary PCs at home
1617578138878.png

soft touch on those keys, but not mushy.
That replaced one of the IBM AT clicky keyboards

Some very interesting changes to the computer timeline there. MICKEY especially- which seems similar to the BBC Micro we had in the UK, just slightly less programmable.

Wonder if Elite plays on the MICKEY?

I don't think there would be an official port, but there would almost have to be several study-hall efforts. Remember, Lode Runner, Karateka, and The Last Ninja originally began as after-hours efforts in high school and college Apple II computer labs. The MICKEY has better specs than, say, a IIgs, other than max pixel resolution, and trades blows with the 256/640 and CoCo 3/4 for less money and a surprisingly large peripheral and expansion card ecosystem.

And for the record, I imagined the mouse ears on the monitor to house independent stereo-capable speakers. Between DOC and the Phillips SAA1099s, that's quite a formidable sound system potentially at students' fingers. Between this, Mayhem, which doubles as an interactive sound tutorial starring Dr. Teeth and company, and any number of potential sound card startups (and MICKEY's overall hardware and port architecture is very well documented) and it wouldn't be inconceivable for an entire generation of chiptune musicians and sound engineers to have cut their teeth on MICKEY.

I basically designed the Late Eighties computer lab computer I would have wanted to have used back then as a Junior High and High School student, assuming the constraints of the technology and economics of the day to make it semi-realistic.

the colourful keyboard reminded me of this:
640px-Enterprise128_01_%28edited%29.jpg

Replace the joystick with eight arrow keys and a Home in the center, add a number pad, color the turquoise keys white, the gray elements black, and replace the keycaps with Commodore 64-shaped keys with lock lights in the leftmost column of keys, and it wouldn't be too far off.

a OS called GOOF (graphical object oriented filesystem) ;)

Well, we can call the Kernal and OS Sensu-strictu MAGIC, and the GUI GOOF. Keeps the connection to the name of the Graphics Chip intact.

Last edited:
And for the record, I imagined the mouse ears on the monitor to house independent stereo-capable speakers. Between DOC and the Phillips SAA1099s, that's quite a formidable sound system potentially at students' fingers. Between this, Mayhem, which doubles as an interactive sound tutorial starring Dr. Teeth and company, and any number of potential sound card startups (and MICKEY's overall hardware and port architecture is very well documented) and it wouldn't be inconceivable for an entire generation of chiptune musicians and sound engineers to have cut their teeth on MICKEY.
I second that!

I also want a dedicated post on RATZ/Hackeys and how Disney responds to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.