Status
Not open for further replies.
Tim Burton to direct? Eldritch Supernatural elements? I'm starting to regret bringing up the subject in the first place...

Maybe Disney should pick up The Wombles to complement Thomas the Tank Engine after all.

It wouldn't be the first time IR or those around them have had to take on monsters of some kind. Martian Rock Snakes, Giant Alligators, whatever these Kaiju things are meant to be.

98a461e5-44e9-41b6-b6af-6416a83467f1.jpg

Does anyone know of a timeline in which a dominant British media company buys up lots of beloved American shows, changes the guts of them to suit British tastes (and ruins what made them special to Americans) then inflicts them back on the US? Because after what has been discussed over these last few pages that is something I would really enjoy reading.

Probably involves some major changes in politics and economics to make it happen, but surely someone has done something like that?

Colour of Magic I think would work best as a four-part miniseries since it's basically four Novelettes in a single cover. Perhaps add in The Light Fantastic and make it a 6-parter. Sky 1's attempt wasn't bad, though they truncated it a lot and dropped quite of bit of the Early Installment Weirdness like Rincewind ending up on that airplane, IIRC. Too weird even for the Brits? As an engineer part of me is sad that Sir Terry dropped the original Rincewind shtick that he was a natural-born engineer/scientist but stuck in a magic-based world, sort of an ironic take on the "magical thinking fantasy nerd in an industrial society" trope.

Yea, Wyrd Sisters could work as a Fantasia Films type production and Guards Guards once the Dragon effects are sufficient. You might just get away with making Moving Pictures as a Zucker-Abrams-Zucker type farce or Brooks satire given all the overt and visual parody elements from Classic films. Maybe. If handled right.
OK, Mel Brooks is allowed to adapt Moving Pictures (and Soul Music). ZAZ would do a very good Old Hollywood parody but I don't think it would be Moving Pictures by the time they released it.

I think the Early Installment Weirdness for Rincewind needed to go if they were going to make an extended Discworld series, which I think was the hope. But Rincewind the born engineer is definitely a sad loss, and something a miniseries based just on those two books could keep; I'm not sure even a Henson-led Disney would fancy writing a hero who is a total coward pretty much from start to finish.

I Know Kung Fu
Kung Fu: The New Generation (1987-1991)
From The TV Obsessive, by Hanmii Dahri-Mote, a regular column in TV Guide and other publications

Take a classic TV western, bring back its main character and original actor, bump it up a generation, and add to the mix the son of the man who many believe should have starred in the original, and what do you get?

Something old, something new, something borrowed, something Bruce!

The original Kung Fu TV series (ABC 1972-1975), which I discussed in an article last year, was originally conceived by actor and martial artist Bruce Lee, for whom the lead role was originally intended. It instead starred Caucasian actor David Carradine, who many believe did a great job even if he “Whitewashed” what would have been a groundbreaking lead role for an Asian actor. Perhaps Carradine and casting director Lynn Stalmaster had this controversy in mind when they approached Bruce’s son Brandon Lee for the sequel series. And while Lee was hesitant to take on a martial arts role, hoping to branch out as an actor in his own right and not just as “Bruce’s son”, he appreciated the symmetry and justice of him taking the part.

And with that, Kung Fu: The Movie was born[1], a made-for-TV film and pilot for a new series. ABC studio executive Michael Eisner had little interest in relaunching a long-cancelled series, however, as TV westerns were long since passe. CBS CEO Ted Turner, on the other hand, eagerly jumped on the series, which appealed to his nostalgic love of Old Americana. CBS would play both the film and, at the insistence of Turner, who overruled his studio heads[2], launched the new series Kung Fu: The New Generation. Interestingly, the series was originally called The Next Generation before it was changed to avoid comparison to the new Star Trek series debuting that same year on PFN.

MV5BMjA0OTg2NDQxNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzMwMDgyMQ@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
MV5BMWVjYTI3OGQtMTFiYi00ODEzLWE1MjctOTg4NGJmNTBmZDlhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg2NTM0Mjc@._V1_.jpg

(Image source “IMDB.com”)

Kung Fu: The Movie saw original series hero Kwai Chang Caine (Carradine) battle an evil opium smuggling ring, only to do battle with a mysterious young man (Lee), who turns out to be his estranged son Lee Jun Caine. They mend their estrangement and fight to free the town from the opium ring. The series then takes over from the end of the film and sees Kwai Chang now the master and mentor and Lee Jun as the “grasshopper”, with Carradine even playing the iconic flute from the original series.

It’s also noteworthy that Carradine gladly passed the torch to Lee, who took the lead role while Carradine played the supporting mentor character and literal father figure. This was not only a pragmatic change (Carradine’s age was limiting his ability to perform some of the martial arts and his professional pride prevented the heavy use of body doubles) but was also a purposeful statement that this was a new series for a new generation that reflected changing societal values with respect to race and representation.

19kehr_600.jpg

(Image source New York Times)

Kung Fu: The New Generation plays as a mix of nostalgic reminiscence for the original series and a modern update for a new generation of viewers. The mix of western action and martial arts athleticism managed to grab a modest but serviceable (and profitably young) fandom, keeping the series alive through four seasons, though the last two seasons would move to TNT on cable. It also found a large Asian audience, particularly in Hong Kong and the emerging Shanghai market. Cameos from other famous martial artists throughout its run, including Chuck Norris, Bolo Yeung, Jean Claude Van Damme, and Jackie Chan, added to the fun.

Since the series was now set a generation later than the original, the setting was thus now the early 20th century, so themes of change and modernity vs. tradition and industry vs. nature were a natural. Starting in 1990 the series began to increasingly address environmental and conservationist themes and the existing themes of race and culture that were subtly addressed in the first two seasons were now overtly explored. Many suggest that Turner’s recent marriage to Jane Fonda and his resulting political evolution played a part in the change, but others suggest that star Brandon Lee insisted on the changes.

Whatever the case, KF:TNG is a delightful mix of the old and the new both in the literal sense and the metatextual sense. Brandon Lee takes the role seriously and manages to capture the fun borderline camp of the original while also paying respectful honor to his father’s Hong Kong film legacy. Unlike the largely silent Carradine, Lee makes no attempts to suppress his vocal kiais, bringing a taste of the Hong Kong films to the role. As such, the film and series manage to capture a nostalgia for fans of both the original ‘70s series and the Hong Kong martial arts films of the era.

KF:TNG has long since achieved a cult status. It lives on in syndication and home video alike. In the 1990s Carradine and Lee would reunite for a made-for-TV follow-up film (and failed series pilot) Kung Fu: The Legend Continues. There is talk of spinning up a “Third Generation” series set in the Depression era with a Film Noir feel, though with the tragic passing of one of the two “Caines” there’s some speculation that this will never happen.

Either way, whether you’re a fan of westerns, martial arts, nostalgia, or all of the above, Kung Fu: The New Generation is a fun way to spend some quality couch surfing time. It’s fun, family friendly, and willing to address big questions in an approachable and non-preachy way.

[1] Qing Guanmao tip to @nick_crenshaw82 for alerting me to this!

[2] CBS aired the movie in our timeline but the numbers didn’t justify continuing with the series. Here Turner is a fan and actively worked to promote it.

Very nice look at something I had never heard of. Kung Fu: The New Generation sounds like silly easy watching, just with a message -though it seems less blatant about them than other shows?

Feels like a show ITV in the UK would air. I’d probably have watched it after A-Team.

Very nice look at something I had never heard of. Kung Fu: The New Generation sounds like silly easy watching, just with a message -though it seems less blatant about them than other shows?

Feels like a show ITV in the UK would air. I’d probably have watched it after A-Team.
Used to watch the Legend Continues when it was on TNT back in the 90s. It was a good show.

Which means that one of them is still alive (as of that post); hopefully, it's Brandon Lee, as his death is avoidable, IMO...

Everyone's getting hype for Doctor Who news and I'm just sitting here, thinking of another British classic suitable for adaptation or reincarnation on Disney Channel's lineup.
Or, even better...

A Thunderbirds movie would be a much better gateway into sci-fi for Tim Burton than POTA. It would probably have to be an Origin movie though. Live-action? Maybe as long as it still uses models and such, maybe combine that with Tim's signature stop motion techniques. I'm sure Gerry Anderson would find him fascinating.
All of these Supermarionation proposals are actually pretty hype, to be honest. This is exactly what Henson and the Creatureworks would be interested in and try to adapt if there ever was a chance for the Disney Channel.

As for Doctor Who, I'm still on the camp that Disney and the BBC should let the series go dormant like in OTL, since I might not like what would happen if the series was saved from its cancellation, that 90s movie nonwithstanding. The revival is just simply too good to avert ITTL.

I think it's going to depend on the reception of Sam Raimi's Batman whether Disney would be interested in pulling out a Marvel property like The Punisher, which is one of the darker characters in their lineup.
Actually, I was going to have Henson start playing the British Supermarionation shows on the Disney Channel given his love for puppetry. I forgot to slip it in. Or maybe it got lost in a save error? I'll try to find a non-awkward way to address it.

Does anyone know of a timeline in which a dominant British media company buys up lots of beloved American shows, changes the guts of them to suit British tastes (and ruins what made them special to Americans) then inflicts them back on the US? Because after what has been discussed over these last few pages that is something I would really enjoy reading.

Probably involves some major changes in politics and economics to make it happen, but surely someone has done something like that?
I actually love this idea. Why not make that timeline this timeline? Probably not "lots", but there's certainly no reason why, say, Holmes-a-Court couldn't revamp a few classic US series for ITV. Perhaps adapt some of Turner's IP and then syndicate it on TBS?

Any ideas? It'd likely need to be something small and niche (not Star Wars or Trek) but still beloved due to the economic reasons. Flash Gordon or Battlestar Galactica as a Blitz narrative? Gunsmoke or Little House on the Prairie relocated to colonial Africa in the 1880s (ideally without overly romanticizing it)? The Andy Griffith Show set in the Midlands?

Any ideas? It'd likely need to be something small and niche (not Star Wars or Trek) but still beloved due to the economic reasons. Flash Gordon or Battlestar Galactica as a Blitz narrative? Gunsmoke or Little House on the Prairie relocated to colonial Africa in the 1880s (ideally without overly romanticizing it)? The Andy Griffith Show set in the Midlands?
If I may suggest some out there suggestions, could we see BBC tackle the universe of Happy Days, minus the animated adaptations, and place them in various British areas? Those shows are less popular than Star Wars and Star Trek, yet would still make headlines, changing the location to fit the localization would change a grand majority of the charm, AND you could even plop them onto the PFN if or when the British versions get to air in the U.S.! In all honesty, this would fit the mold you set out quite well.

I think you could translate Little House on the Prairie to the Australian Outback extremely well.
Taxi might also work, being a comedy about working folks, but with the interesting insertion of 'The Knowledge' unique to London's famous black cab drivers.
With the British love of law dramas and comedies, I would actually be surprised if there wasn't an English version of Night Court OTL, so I would count it as a must-have addition to this timeline if it doesn't already exist.

If I may suggest some out there suggestions, could we see BBC tackle the universe of Happy Days, minus the animated adaptations, and place them in various British areas? Those shows are less popular than Star Wars and Star Trek, yet would still make headlines, changing the location to fit the localization would change a grand majority of the charm, AND you could even plop them onto the PFN if or when the British versions get to air in the U.S.! In all honesty, this would fit the mold you set out quite well.

How about a British adaption of the Twilight Zone and while this isn't really a remake of an American Property, how about a live-action Dennis the Menace series, based around the beano character?

I think you could translate Little House on the Prairie to the Australian Outback extremely well.
Taxi might also work, being a comedy about working folks, but with the interesting insertion of 'The Knowledge' unique to London's famous black cab drivers.
With the British love of law dramas and comedies, I would actually be surprised if there wasn't an English version of Night Court OTL, so I would count it as a must-have addition to this timeline if it doesn't already exist.
something with a country magistrate?

I'd love to see Battlestar Galactica be adapted for British audiences. Maybe instead of killer robot Cylons, the British would take inspiration from Blake's 7 and implement a totalitarian government as the primary antagonist as the main characters are trying to flee towards a new Earth as their home, carrying a McGuffin that both parties need.

could we see BBC tackle the universe of Happy Days
Not sure when you'd set a British Happy Days, the 50s weren't the 'happy time' it was the Americas so I would advise against a direct swap. You could do it in the 20s or 30s before the Depression hits.
how about a live-action Dennis the Menace series, based around the beano character.
I'm not sure you could sanitize The Beano's Dennis to where he'd be fit to be broadcast on UK television. Going from memory but I think there was a fight scene every two pages?

How about... a western series.... but inthe Colonial east, set in the Ohio/Pennsylvania region, the wild west of its time.
Or... The Beverly Hillbillies... but with some northern county-men from Yorkshire/Cumbria/Scotland moving to London (that already a thing?)

Not sure when you'd set a British Happy Days, the 50s weren't the 'happy time' it was the Americas so I would advise against a direct swap. You could do it in the 20s or 30s before the Depression hits.

I'm not sure you could sanitize The Beano's Dennis to where he'd be fit to be broadcast on UK television. Going from memory but I think there was a fight scene every two pages?

Trust me. It's the late 80s now. The era of The Young Ones, Blackadder, Eastenders, Spitting Image at its height, anarchy, edge, violent alt-comedy, you name it. We could have easily slipped a Dennis the Menace show onto the air without sanitizing it. At least on ITV.

I had a great idea to pitch to Geekhis Khan but on looking into it I was shocked to discover that not only was Mr Merlin not a Disney production it also happened well before this TLs point of departure, now I feel old and sad. :confused:

If the Brits did a version of Happy Days I could see if being on Channel 4 and set in the 30’s just before the war.

Or Taxi done by BBC set in Liverpool.

Having said that we have plenty of shows without having to reset American ones imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.