Status
Not open for further replies.
That seems like a busy couple of years there given this does not include TV either.

I am looking forward to reading what 1987/88 brings!

Oh the irony of Transformers being a Disney film after you wrote about Jim's disdain for it and its kin.

Any major changes to Hasbro's lineup, and by extension the Transformers franchise?

Did Steve Guttenberg star in Short Circut? His career is a little off course with him missing Cocoon. Anyway was Number 5 as adorable and badass as he was ITTL?

Oh the irony of Transformers being a Disney film after you wrote about Jim's disdain for it and its kin.

Any major changes to Hasbro's lineup, and by extension the Transformers franchise?
Yep. While the Transformers cartoon didn't bug Jim as much as, say, GI Joe since it was robots fighting (it mas more the merch-driven nature that seemed manipulative to him) he was appalled at the Movie, which if you haven't seen it is a bloodbath with dozens of characters dying. If it were up to him it would have been shelved, but Disney was contractually obligated to release all in-production titles when they bought Marvel.

Hasbro by this point is facing the same issue they did IOTL a this point where their audience is growing too old for the toys and the new kids are moving on to something else. Transformers the Movie and GI Joe the Movie were Hail Mary attempts at franchise reboots. Won't work ITTL either.

Considering Disney's plans to expand into video games, the name Gonzo and Goofy's Galactic Golf sounds custom-made for a fun minigolf game on the NES.
That's brilliant. So going to steal that.

Did Steve Guttenberg star in Short Circut? His career is a little off course with him missing Cocoon. Anyway was Number 5 as adorable and badass as he was ITTL?
Yes, still there. Still in Cocoon too.
I have seen that but there's no foot note saying role was butterflied away, the four actors mentioned are the four main senior characters in the film.
Exactly the case. I didn't bother to list all the cast.

I actually had to check if there was a golf game for the NES (there was). I was thinking of something like Kirby's Dream Course for SNES (1994/5), something I think would be brilliant as the base for a sequel to Galactic Golf.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if you didn't.
Already did. Expect mention of it soon.
I actually had to check if there was a golf game for the NES (there was). I was thinking of something like Kirby's Dream Course for SNES (1994/5), something I think would be brilliant as the base for a sequel to Galactic Golf.
I'm imagining NES Golf ('84) but with G&G as Players 1 & 2, and the holes are located on various celestial locations like asteroids and the surface of other planets, so it stands out because each hole has different gravity!

Already did. Expect mention of it soon.

I'm imagining NES Golf ('84) but with G&G as Players 1 & 2, and the holes are located on various celestial locations like asteroids and the surface of other planets, so it stands out because each hole has different gravity!
and sneakily it slips in actual facts, so it has a slight educational value too

Yep. While the Transformers cartoon didn't bug Jim as much as, say, GI Joe since it was robots fighting (it mas more the merch-driven nature that seemed manipulative to him) he was appalled at the Movie, which if you haven't seen it is a bloodbath with dozens of characters dying. If it were up to him it would have been shelved, but Disney was contractually obligated to release all in-production titles when they bought Marvel.

Well, I guess this means Disney shouldn't handle the North American distribution of Char's Counterattack, or any Sunrise franchise where Tomino is the decisive final voice in production, or Henson will blow his top! ;)

Hasbro by this point is facing the same issue they did IOTL a this point where their audience is growing too old for the toys and the new kids are moving on to something else. Transformers the Movie and GI Joe the Movie were Hail Mary attempts at franchise reboots. Won't work ITTL either.

I liked Transformers: The Movie. My problem was that the animation and (for the most part) writing of Season Three didn't match the standard that set. The Return of Optimus Prime also felt like a copout and character regression for Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime. And I say this from the lofty perch of my eleven year old self, not subsequent Nostalgia Filter. Disney (and Marvel/Sunbow) would have much better served by bringing over and dubbing the three Toei seasons, perhaps dubbing them over with new scripts, the Marvel Method TM.

As for Hasbro itself, the Pretender gimmick itself was rather lame, not to mention headscratching considering the scale, and Action Masters were a white flag. I would have gone Takara's route with an outer shell that was also a transformer, that evolved into the usual gimmick of the Brave Series in the Nineties.

But then, I was probably an outlier. I didn't stop collecting collecting and playing with toys until my junior year of high school.

Last edited:
I suspect The Transformers might end its run a little earlier in this timeline, assuming they don't get a lot of support from Disney. Alternately, this might result in a totally new series incarnation in the 90s as the talent involved with Disney's television productions takes control from the Sunbow crew.
I do hope Beast Wars still has an incarnation this timeline, if only so we can get David Kaye's magnificently hammy rendition of Megatron.

While we're at it, my mind just hatched a wonderful idea!

The Muppet Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.

Basically, take the wit and charm of movies like The Muppet Christmas Carol and Muppet Treasure Island, and give it to a parody of the classic Disney featurettes starring the silly old bear. Why would Kermit and the gang parody the Pooh featurettes that Walt began to make? Well, they already turned Mickey and his friends into Muppets in this timeline's version of Good Morning, Mickey!, Bean Bunny might be less hated by the Muppeteers this time around, and you can't forget about the good things that happened by remaking Song of the South.

So, with all due respect, why not do this?

and sneakily it slips in actual facts, so it has a slight educational value too
Yep!
Well, I guess this means Disney shouldn't handle the North American distribution of Char's Counterattack, or any Sunrise franchise where Tomino is the decisive final voice in production, or Henson will blow his top! ;)

I liked Transformers: The Movie. My problem was that the animation and (for the most part) writing of Season Three didn't match the standard that set. The Return of Optimus Prime also felt like a copout and character regression for Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime. And I say this from the lofty perch of my eleven year old self, not subsequent Nostalgia Filter. Disney (and Marvel/Sunbow) would have much better served by bringing over and dubbing the three Toei seasons, perhaps dubbing them over with new scripts, the Marvel Method TM.

As for Hasbro itself, the Pretender gimmick itself was rather lame, not to mention headscratching considering the scale, and Action Masters were a white flag. I would have gone Takara's route with an outer shell that was also a transformer, that evolved into the usual gimmick of the Brave Series in the Nineties.

But then, I was probably an outlier. I didn't stop collecting collecting and playing with toys until my junior year of high school.
They could still release Char, they just would make it up front that it's a PG film and not try to market it to kids. It's the "let's teach kids that war is faaan-tastic!" that's more the issue than the violence.

Oh, and I liked Transformers: The Movie as well. I saw it at age 12 and thought it was bloody awesome. "Holy shit, they killed Starscream! This is so grown up!" Remember, I was a GI Joe fan, so it's not like Jim attitude necessarily reflects mine.

I suspect The Transformers might end its run a little earlier in this timeline, assuming they don't get a lot of support from Disney. Alternately, this might result in a totally new series incarnation in the 90s as the talent involved with Disney's television productions takes control from the Sunbow crew.
I do hope Beast Wars still has an incarnation this timeline, if only so we can get David Kaye's magnificently hammy rendition of Megatron.
I haven't put much thought into Beast Wars yet.
While we're at it, my mind just hatched a wonderful idea!

The Muppet Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.

Basically, take the wit and charm of movies like The Muppet Christmas Carol and Muppet Treasure Island, and give it to a parody of the classic Disney featurettes starring the silly old bear. Why would Kermit and the gang parody the Pooh featurettes that Walt began to make? Well, they already turned Mickey and his friends into Muppets in this timeline's version of Good Morning, Mickey!, Bean Bunny might be less hated by the Muppeteers this time around, and you can't forget about the good things that happened by remaking Song of the South.

So, with all due respect, why not do this?
Well, Tales from Pooh Corner still exists ITTL, but with better animatronics. Unless you're thinking hand Muppet versions, which is a possibility.

Bean Bunny is butterflied into Benny Bunny ITTL, and never really joins the core Muppets cast, being the star of his own saccharine "girls' show" and toy line.

Well, Tales from Pooh Corner still exists ITTL, but with better animatronics. Unless you're thinking hand Muppet versions, which is a possibility.

Bean Bunny is butterflied into Benny Bunny ITTL, and never really joins the core Muppets cast, being the star of his own saccharine "girls' show" and toy line.
Oddly enough, I was wondering what the fate of Welcome to Pooh Corner was with Jim Henson on standby when The Disney Channel was first talked about in this timeline. However, when I pitched that idea, I was thinking more in line with having Fozzie as Pooh, Gonzo as Tigger, Kermit as Rabbit, etc. Hence why I used Muppet Christmas Carol and Muppet Treasure Island from our timeline as reference points.

Well, it was a treat when Big Bird made a cameo in The Muppet Movie in our timeline, and maybe even in this timeline as well, so maybe Benny Bunny can make some small cameos in Muppet projects as a background character with the occasional spoken line.

Status
Not open for further replies.