Status
Not open for further replies.
marketing budgets versus changes in viewership, though this latter aspect was exceedingly amorphous.
I'm reminded of the recent Freakanomics podcast episodes on the subject. Everyone knows marketing works, but nobody has any idea why.
Lucas and friend and fellow shareholder Steven Spielberg, meanwhile, were working with Jim and Lisa Henson to produce a collaborative animatronic project with the working title “The Natural History Project”, with scriptwriter William Stout on board to draft a screenplay.
Oooh. This post is full of tasty teasers and this one is pretty sweet indeed.
“There’s no magic formula for making art,” he insisted, surprising Wells with the intensity of his rejection.
And there's the foundation of TTL's Disney's success (and potential failure). You can't spreadsheet success in a creative field, and entertainment is an inherently creative field coupled to the dismal art of finance.
Frank Wells maintained that the hardest thing he ever had to do as President of Walt Disney Entertainment was asking Jim Henson to stop working so hard.
Some things never change, eh?

Fantastic post as usual, Khan, I like having these posts every so often when we get a pull back and broad-strokes overview of events and their relation to each other.

So, for all intents and purposes, Disney owns 40-50% of the overall company at the very least?

For that matter, does the same rule of ownership apply to United Artists and the other MGM subsidiaries?
Well, I guess that you can say they own about 30-40% of the old company assets from before Turner broke it all up and sold off the component parts, but MGM Studios is a Disney brand now. Other parts are still in the hands of Turner or ACC.

UA remained in the hands of Tracinda.

See the details in the A Lion to be Dismembered post from Dec. 17th.

Video games, meanwhile, were quickly returning to the Disney portfolio. Gunpei Yokoi and Shigeru Miyamoto of the Japanese Nintendo Corporation came visiting in early 1985 to announce plans to release a new US version of their Famicon console, now redubbed the Nintendo Entertainment System, or NES. Henson and Kinsey were amazed at the quality of the graphics. “With this system you can match or even exceed anything a cabinet [arcade game] can do!” said Henson, who was notoriously picky when it came to the quality of licensed products. A quick deal was struck: new Nintendo cartridges would be created for a new Dark Crystal game and a new Mickey and Donald game. The former would be a walkaround adventure game in the vein of The Legend of Zelda and the latter a scrolling adventure game in the vein of Super Mario Brothers with the big hook being that Player 1 (Mickey) and Player 2 (Donald) could play simultaneously rather than just take turns. The NES would be a smash hit and reinvigorate the foundering home video game industry. Both Disney games and others to follow would be a continuous source of revenue and spawn a long working relationship between Disney and Nintendo. Similar deals would be struck with a resurgent Atari as well when the 1400X system appeared, with players debating which port of the popular Dark Crystal game was the best.
We will definitely by seeing a different Console Wars for the third generation as I see it. Nintendo will likely pull in ahead in North America, but I could see the resurgent Atari taking a bite out of the lead with brand recognition and good enough games. Poor Sega probably got the short end of the stick with the Mark III/Master System, unless it can get a distributor that knows how to market the system (their partnership with Tonka OTL really harmed them.) One possibility is to have another company distribute and market the system, I wouldn't hold my breath on it, but I would snicker if Commodore tried to get in the console business while getting some Sega arcade ports for their home computers in the process.

I wonder how the European front will go. Sega dominated OTL, IIRC, but I imagine Branson will want to be king of the hill.

Both Disney games and others to follow would be a continuous source of revenue and spawn a long working relationship between Disney and Nintendo
I pray we get a good Super Mario Bros movie. Also, Miyamoto must be fucking THRILLED. Supposedly, he's a big admirer of Henson, such that he actually planned to go into puppeteering before fate steered him into game design. Nintendo World at Disney in this timeline? The sight of Mickey, Kermit, and Mario sharing a stage is...Hard to beat.
We will definitely by seeing a different Console Wars for the third generation as I see it. Nintendo will likely pull in ahead in North America, but I could see the resurgent Atari taking a bite out of the lead with brand recognition and good enough games. Poor Sega probably got the short end of the stick with the Mark III/Master System, unless it can get a distributor that knows how to market the system (their partnership with Tonka OTL really harmed them.) One possibility is to have another company distribute and market the system, I wouldn't hold my breath on it, but I would snicker if Commodore tried to get in the console business while getting some Sega arcade ports for their home computers in the process.

I wonder how the European front will go. Sega dominated OTL, IIRC, but I imagine Branson will want to be king of the hill.
Idea that I know you will find terrifying: Sega gets out of the console market as in, OTL, say, 2000, if not earlier if the Genesis fails...And Nintendo, flush with Disney cash, buys them out.

Last edited:
Well, I guess that you can say they own about 30-40% of the old company assets from before Turner broke it all up and sold off the component parts, but MGM Studios is a Disney brand now. Other parts are still in the hands of Turner or ACC.
Good to know, for all intents and purposes.

I read the chapter from December 17th, and it makes me wonder...

Could we see Cartoon Network appear sooner than 1992, and from Warner Bros., no less? Or is that a bit problematic of an idea? I mean, the least we could get is a crossover between Looney Tunes and Popeye if WB owns both animated franchises here and now.

Poor Sega probably got the short end of the stick with the Mark III/Master System
I think you're pretty accurate there, I expect TTL's Atari to do at least as well as Sega did OTL in the US with Branson pushing his stake in Atari to get the console marketed in Europe. I don't think the console wars will really heat up until the 16-bit era with the SNES, Genesis, (we still calling Atari's entry the 'Caracal'?), and 'we're here too!' Neo-Geo for the hardest of hard core.

Idea that I know you will find terrifying: Sega gets out of the console market as in, OTL, say, 2000, if not earlier if the Genesis fails...And Nintendo, flush with Disney cash, buys them out.
Having lived through it in OTL, I don't find it that terrifying. However, would there be any guarantees that Sonic the Hedgehog will even materialize ITTL? I only gravitated towards Sega because of my interest in the character and the Sega of TTL may become a different company altogether. I'm not even sure that Nintendo would even buy Sega out. Sega could very well leave the hardware market and join forces with Atari. The enemy of my enemy and all.

Another two companies we didn't take into account were Hudson Soft and NEC. The PC-Engine released in 1987 and nearly dethroned the Famicom in Japan (mind you, this was before the Super Famicom) so I hope they are taken into account as well.

Having lived through it in OTL, I don't find it that terrifying. However, would there be any guarantees that Sonic the Hedgehog will even materialize ITTL? I only gravitated towards Sega because of my interest in the character and the Sega of TTL may become a different company altogether. I'm not even sure that Nintendo would even buy Sega out. Sega could very well leave the hardware market and join forces with Atari. The enemy of my enemy and all.

Another two companies we didn't take into account were Hudson Soft and NEC. The PC-Engine released in 1987 and nearly dethroned the Famicom in Japan (mind you, this was before the Super Famicom) so I hope they are taken into account as well.
Let me be clear: Not "Sega leaves the console market and goes third-party", but "Sega goes second-party for Nintendo".

Let me be clear: Not "Sega leaves the console market and goes third-party", but "Sega goes second-party for Nintendo".
I would still say too soon to call right now as we are still in 1986. There is one thing I thought I should ask @Geekhis Khan for the sake of clarification: does Gulf+Western still sell Sega to CSK in 1984? I can imagine that butterflies would leave that sale alone given it's close to the PoD.

That said, I will repeat my thoughts on what the third generation of video games could look like.

Nintendo - Will be dominant in Japan and North America, but I suspect Atari's reentry into the market will most likely chip away at their dominance. Being an official Disney licensee will definitely help, though.

Atari - Will carve out its own share in the North American market at the expense of Nintendo because of brand recognition and if they can get a killer app like Super Mario Bros. to market. Similarly, they will be highly competitive in Europe due to Branson's influence. Something to consider--what if Atari manages to nab the console rights to Tetris? That could be a real game changer ITTL and cement their position in the market.

Similarly, will Nintendo of America be able to get away with forcing exclusivity with American developers? Methinks, Atari's presence could undermine that.

Sega - Alas poor Sega, while I imagine they can get a toe hold in the North American home console market, but I don't see it working out very well with a lack of a marketable mascot (sorry, Alex Kidd.) However, they are big players in the arcade business so even if they exit the console business, I don't see them going second-party for Nintendo any time soon.

NEC/Hudson Soft - The PC Engine will probably be a hit in the Land of the Rising Sun after its October 1987 release, but they will probably look at the crowded North American/European markets and say, "nope."

Considering that Sonic was inspired by Michael Jackson's Bad I can see a very similar character being thought up ITTL. Especially with how that album blew up in the wake of his death.

While we still have years before we have to worry about these I still want to post it while it's still fresh in my mind:
Also we could use Michael Jackson's death to save Brandon Lee.

The Sega Master System might actually do better in this environment with Atari weakening Nintendo’s hold on third party games and if they can avoid their partnership with Tonka thanks to butterflies from the POD. Poor marketing and a limited library thanks to Nintendo was a major reason why it’s launch was weak in the west. It could even be a potential Sony type entry because the Master System had stronger hardware than the NES. Alex Kidd though is destined to be a dud, it was too much like Mario and his gameplay not very interesting so Sonic is bound to appear in some form to combat Nintendo. So I wouldn’t count Sega out just yet.

Slashers II: Tommy or Jason?
Part 6: Sam Subverts Slasher Sequel Syndrome! (Cont’d)
Excerpt from Slash! A History of Horror Films, by Ima Fuller Bludengore

The success of Friday the 13th Part 5: Jason’s Legacy immediately spurred the greenlighting of a 6th part to follow on from the events of the prior film. However, the producers were in a bit of a quandary: while the crossover success had been spectacular, the core Friday the 13th fandom was divided over the “Tommy is the new Jason” angle. Some fans liked the new direction and the possibility that “Jason” could become a heritable position, while others were saying “we want the real Jason back”.

Complicating things further for producer Don Behrns, who had taken over from Tim Silver, was the fact that director Sam Raimi had no desire to direct another Friday the 13th and was instead entertaining multiple offers from multiple studios. Behrns brought in director Tom McLoughlin to take over, but also insisted that McLoughlin try to “quote” the cinematography and tone of the Raimi film. McLoughlin was somewhat nonplussed by this “interference”, but with only the Indy horror film One Dark Night under his belt he was in no position to argue.

Friday_the_13th_Part_VI_-_Jason_Lives_%281986%29_theatrical_poster.jpg

Not this, but it has reflections of it

McLoughlin liked Raimi’s take, but he also wanted to stand out on his own and resented being pressured. “Honestly, I would have been happy to follow in Sam’s footsteps, and yet getting forced to do so rankled me, so I became determined to make the picture my own as well.” McLoughlin wanted to bring in pieces of the old Universal Pictures monsters of old, making Tommy-as-Jason into a lumbering, nigh-unstoppable force. He penned a draft that saw Tommy escape from the Pinehurst asylum, dig up Jason’s corpse, and worship it as a god, taking demonic strength from it.

And then Behrns threw him another curveball just days before principal photography was to begin. After a tumultuous panel discussion at Fangoria's Weekend of Horrors where the divided fandom made their opinions known, he gave McLoughlin the incongruous request “could you find a way to bring back Jason without, you know, bringing back Jason?”

“It was an impossible task,” said McLoughlin, “two contradictory states existing at the same time, like Schrodinger’s Cat. And anyone up on their quantum physics knows that it’ll ‘collapse’ when observed.”

o0800045613194822012.png

What could possibly go wrong digging up the corpse of a killer on a dark and stormy night? (Image source “ameba.jp”)

So, McLoughlin hastily rewrote the script to have Tommy escape and dig up Jason’s body, but with the intent to destroy it in order to make the “nightmares and impulses” end. He digs up the corpse, smashes it, and burns it, but the voices still talk to him. Finally, impulsively, he takes the ashes, mixes them with water, and drinks them, certain in his manifest delusions that this will somehow destroy Jason once and for all. Instead, Tommy becomes Jason, transformed into a larger-than-life corpselike killing machine where the mask becomes the man. It’s thus ambiguous whether Tommy has become Jason, or Jason has become Tommy, or whether this is some demonic force that’s been possessing them both.

tumblr_n5hhtplqBJ1rp0vkjo2_500.gif

Jason, Tommy, or both? (Image source “wifflegif.com”)

Like its predecessor, Friday the 13th Part 6: In the Blood would lean heavily on the fourth wall. Jason/Tommy would return to the Pinehurst asylum and take revenge, egged on by the voice of his mother in what’s been called a salute to Psycho. Jason/Tommy under McLoughlin’s hand became a lumbering Killing Machine, a Frankenstein’s Monster or Mummy style unstoppable force. As Jason’s mother’s disembodied voice narrates (all the while nodding to the fourth wall; “your [demonic] audience is waiting!”), Jason/Tommy kills Pam, Reggie, and Dr. Letter in the Pinehurst asylum. From this point, Jason/Tommy returns to Camp Crystal Lake, now renamed Forest Green in an attempted rebranding, and goes on a killing spree, the naïve teens vacationing there blissfully unaware that they’re walking into a death trap.

The film stood out not only for the hybridization of Jason with Tommy, but for being the first Friday the 13th film to feature no nudity or post-coital slayings, with McLoughlin refusing to keep playing the old “death by sex” canard. It was also the first in the franchise to make things overtly supernatural in nature as opposed to the ambiguous and possibly purely psychological nature of things in the earlier installments. Religious themes were added, with “mother” speaking of Jason’s “infernal audience” suggesting hell and with Jason not killing a praying girl, suggesting divine protections. The cast was a mix of old and new. For the Pinehurst scenes, Melanie Kinnaman returned as Pam Roberts, Shavar Ross returned as Reggie Winter, and Michael Swan is introduced as the coldly clinical Dr. Jim Polk and Whitney Rydbeck is introduced as the Ratched-like Nurse Carver. Meanwhile at Crystal Lake/Forest Green, Kerry Noonan is introduced as head councilor and final girl Paula Mott, Jennifer Cooke as her best friend Megan Garris, and David Kagen as Sheriff Mike Garris, along with friends “Sissy” Baker (Renée Jones) and “Cort” Andrews (Tom Fridley)[1]. And once again Betsy Palmer appeared as and voiced the possibly-a-ghost, possibly-a-hallucination “mother” Pam Vorhees.

Friday the 13th Part 6: In the Blood debuted in the late summer of 1986 where it managed to bring in $26 million against its $3 million budget. Reviews were mostly middling to positive and your average moviegoer enjoyed it, but if Behrns was hoping to heal the rift in the fandom by his ambiguous “Jason, but also Tommy” approach, then he failed miserably, irritating the more passionate fans on both sides of the fandom divide by trying to placate both.

p13_6_nst_promo.jpg

Taking a stab at mending a divided fandom (Image source “nofilmschool.com”)

“You can’t have it both ways,” McLoughlin stated in a later interview. “but I was asked to try, and I think that I came up with a good way to do it.”

The short-term financial success of the film led immediately to the greenlighting of Part 7, of course. In the middle term, the increasingly divided “Real Jason” vs. “Tommy-Jason” fan factions would almost naturally begin to blur into the developing rift in the fandom over the “smart slasher” trend in general. In the long term, time has been kind to the film, which remains a fan favorite in the franchise thanks to McLoughlin’s direction and is generally liked by all but a few stubborn holdouts on the far extremes of the fan divide. McLoughlin’s Jason, with his glacier-like sense of inevitability and power, would become the character default going forward, as would the Raimi-inspired camera work and semi-self-awareness.

“You can’t have it both ways,” said McLoughlin, “But you can have a synthesis of the two if you do it right.”

[1] Another hokey-mask tip to @Unknown for help in casting.

About Sega the Master System doesn't have a chance. Third parties won't support it because it had failed hard in Japan by now so they won't get much support there. Atari probably has the North American and European developers due to it's name and owner. The more powerful hardware didn't help it otl and it won't here either. I think Sega will stick to the arcades and as a third party developer. Heck some of their games made it to the nes via third parties otl.

Brave man for trying to bring peace to a fandom McLoughlin, at least you where pre-internet...

Good luck whoever get 7, that’s a hard plot to follow. Demonic cloning perhaps?

Part 6: Sam Subverts Slasher Sequel Syndrome! (Cont’d)
Excerpt from Slash! A History of Horror Films, by Ima Fuller Bludengore

The success of Friday the 13th Part 5: Jason’s Legacy immediately spurred the greenlighting of a 6th part to follow on from the events of the prior film. However, the producers were in a bit of a quandary: while the crossover success had been spectacular, the core Friday the 13th fandom was divided over the “Tommy is the new Jason” angle. Some fans liked the new direction and the possibility that “Jason” could become a heritable position, while others were saying “we want the real Jason back”.

Complicating things further for producer Don Behrns, who had taken over from Tim Silver, was the fact that director Sam Raimi had no desire to direct another Friday the 13th and was instead entertaining multiple offers from multiple studios. Behrns brought in director Tom McLoughlin to take over, but also insisted that McLoughlin try to “quote” the cinematography and tone of the Raimi film. McLoughlin was somewhat nonplussed by this “interference”, but with only the Indy horror film One Dark Night under his belt he was in no position to argue.

Friday_the_13th_Part_VI_-_Jason_Lives_%281986%29_theatrical_poster.jpg

Not this, but it has reflections of it

McLoughlin liked Raimi’s take, but he also wanted to stand out on his own and resented being pressured. “Honestly, I would have been happy to follow in Sam’s footsteps, and yet getting forced to do so rankled me, so I became determined to make the picture my own as well.” McLoughlin wanted to bring in pieces of the old Universal Pictures monsters of old, making Tommy-as-Jason into a lumbering, nigh-unstoppable force. He penned a draft that saw Tommy escape from the Pinehurst asylum, dig up Jason’s corpse, and worship it as a god, taking demonic strength from it.

And then Behrns threw him another curveball just days before principal photography was to begin. After a tumultuous panel discussion at Fangoria's Weekend of Horrors where the divided fandom made their opinions known, he gave McLoughlin the incongruous request “could you find a way to bring back Jason without, you know, bringing back Jason?”

“It was an impossible task,” said McLoughlin, “two contradictory states existing at the same time, like Schrodinger’s Cat. And anyone up on their quantum physics knows that it’ll ‘collapse’ when observed.”

o0800045613194822012.png

What could possibly go wrong digging up the corpse of a killer on a dark and stormy night? (Image source “ameba.jp”)

So, McLoughlin hastily rewrote the script to have Tommy escape and dig up Jason’s body, but with the intent to destroy it in order to make the “nightmares and impulses” end. He digs up the corpse, smashes it, and burns it, but the voices still talk to him. Finally, impulsively, he takes the ashes, mixes them with water, and drinks them, certain in his manifest delusions that this will somehow destroy Jason once and for all. Instead, Tommy becomes Jason, transformed into a larger-than-life corpselike killing machine where the mask becomes the man. It’s thus ambiguous whether Tommy has become Jason, or Jason has become Tommy, or whether this is some demonic force that’s been possessing them both.

tumblr_n5hhtplqBJ1rp0vkjo2_500.gif

Jason, Tommy, or both? (Image source “wifflegif.com”)

Like its predecessor, Friday the 13th Part 6: In the Blood would lean heavily on the fourth wall. Jason/Tommy would return to the Pinehurst asylum and take revenge, egged on by the voice of his mother in what’s been called a salute to Psycho. Jason/Tommy under McLoughlin’s hand became a lumbering Killing Machine, a Frankenstein’s Monster or Mummy style unstoppable force. As Jason’s mother’s disembodied voice narrates (all the while nodding to the fourth wall; “your [demonic] audience is waiting!”), Jason/Tommy kills Pam, Reggie, and Dr. Letter in the Pinehurst asylum. From this point, Jason/Tommy returns to Camp Crystal Lake, now renamed Forest Green in an attempted rebranding, and goes on a killing spree, the naïve teens vacationing there blissfully unaware that they’re walking into a death trap.

The film stood out not only for the hybridization of Jason with Tommy, but for being the first Friday the 13th film to feature no nudity or post-coital slayings, with McLoughlin refusing to keep playing the old “death by sex” canard. It was also the first in the franchise to make things overtly supernatural in nature as opposed to the ambiguous and possibly purely psychological nature of things in the earlier installments. Religious themes were added, with “mother” speaking of Jason’s “infernal audience” suggesting hell and with Jason not killing a praying girl, suggesting divine protections. The cast was a mix of old and new. For the Pinehurst scenes, Melanie Kinnaman returned as Pam Roberts, Shavar Ross returned as Reggie Winter, and Michael Swan is introduced as the coldly clinical Dr. Jim Polk and Whitney Rydbeck is introduced as the Ratched-like Nurse Carver. Meanwhile at Crystal Lake/Forest Green, Kerry Noonan is introduced as head councilor and final girl Paula Mott, Jennifer Cooke as her best friend Megan Garris, and David Kagen as Sheriff Mike Garris, along with friends “Sissy” Baker (Renée Jones) and “Cort” Andrews (Tom Fridley)[1]. And once again Betsy Palmer appeared as and voiced the possibly-a-ghost, possibly-a-hallucination “mother” Pam Vorhees.

Friday the 13th Part 6: In the Blood debuted in the late summer of 1986 where it managed to bring in $26 million against its $3 million budget. Reviews were mostly middling to positive and your average moviegoer enjoyed it, but if Behrns was hoping to heal the rift in the fandom by his ambiguous “Jason, but also Tommy” approach, then he failed miserably, irritating the more passionate fans on both sides of the fandom divide by trying to placate both.

p13_6_nst_promo.jpg

Taking a stab at mending a divided fandom (Image source “nofilmschool.com”)

“You can’t have it both ways,” McLoughlin stated in a later interview. “but I was asked to try, and I think that I came up with a good way to do it.”

The short-term financial success of the film led immediately to the greenlighting of Part 7, of course. In the middle term, the increasingly divided “Real Jason” vs. “Tommy-Jason” fan factions would almost naturally begin to blur into the developing rift in the fandom over the “smart slasher” trend in general. In the long term, time has been kind to the film, which remains a fan favorite in the franchise thanks to McLoughlin’s direction and is generally liked by all but a few stubborn holdouts on the far extremes of the fan divide. McLoughlin’s Jason, with his glacier-like sense of inevitability and power, would become the character default going forward, as would the Raimi-inspired camera work and semi-self-awareness.

“You can’t have it both ways,” said McLoughlin, “But you can have a synthesis of the two if you do it right.”

[1] Another hokey-mask tip to @Unknown for help in casting.
That legit feels like an earlier version of Jason Goes to Hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.