Status
Not open for further replies.
If we are looking for an alternate Batman director?

Alex Proyas.

Hell, just to make things really wild, cast Brandon Lee as Bruce Wayne/Batman.
I did a cursory google search and agree with this sentiment, but it depends on when the Great Khan plans to release Batman ITTL. Proyas had only released his first feature-length film in 1988.

I hope this last longer ITTL, I never even know it existed and I think I have been a big fan even at 5.
I'm quietly hoping that the success of The Spirit would prompt CBS to renew Superman for another season or two. I even have a few voice actors on my personal wish list like Townsend Coleman (AKA Michelangelo from TMNT and the Tick) as Superman and Tress MacNeille as Lois Lane. Perhaps Dan Gilvezan as Jimmy Olsen, Chris Latta as Perry White and, of course, Corey Burton as Brainiac. Don't have a Lex Luthor in mind yet though Michael Bell voiced him in the OTL R-S series.

Of course, Frank Welker will voice Krypto the Superdog (I kid, Crisis wiped him from continuity for 15 years. :()

@Geekhis Khan, did have a voice actor in mind for Denny Colt/The Spirit?

20dd0165e567a8a38fc69b98c593fb39.jpg

4lKMOUl.jpg

Buyouts, Mergers, and Heroes (oh my!)
Turner Bags a Griffin
Wall Street Journal, May 1st, 1986

220px-Mge84.JPG

(Image source “closinglogos.com”)

Atlanta – Last week Turner-CBS acquired Merv Griffin Enterprises for $250m in a cash & stock buy[1]. The acquisition brings with it several lucrative properties including The Merv Griffin Show, Wheel of Fortune, and Jeopardy, along with other game shows and programming. With this acquisition Turner is expected to move the popular shows out of syndication and exclusively on to his CBS network. The acquisition marks the latest round of expansion for the aggressive Turner who has, since his hostile takeover of CBS in 1985, become a leading mogul of television on both network and cable.

* * *​

National Amusements acquires Viacom
Wall Street Journal, May 9th, 1986

GettyImages-470445884.jpg

(Image source “businesswire.com”)

Boston – National Amusements Chairman Sumner Redstone announced the acquisition of a controlling interest in the Viacom media company. The deal brings with it several broadcast television stations and cable stations to include the Showtime premium channel[2]. The move marks a broad expansion of the Boston based company, which owns numerous movie theaters and other entertainment ventures.

* * *​

BAM! POW! Marvel sold to Disney
Wall Street Journal, May 14th, 1986

haZxm8cAZphSn4HMMKt7q2cg8oevwRE2DIOeQhQJ8gAXrigSZTJ-17NhNkAZ85enoycy60U6FSx78ssFk1UkSmPKZR_sY0usWg
arvel_prod.jpg

(image sources “community.cbr.com” and “bcdb.com”)

New York – Yesterday Walt Disney Entertainment and Cadence Industries announced that Disney will be purchasing the Marvel Entertainment Group for $46 million, one of many small deals being made as part of the breakup of Cadence[3]. The acquisition includes Marvel Publishing, primarily a maker of comic books including the Disney Comics lines, and Marvel Productions, a small television and animation production company. It also brings with it IP for their portfolio of characters and animated projects popular superhero lines such as Spiderman and The Incredible Hulk as well as well as production contracts for many of the Hasbro line up in partnership with Sunbow Entertainment (GI Joe, Transformers, Jem, etc.).

Marvel will remain a functionally independent subsidiary within the larger Disney Studios division. Marvel Chairman Stan Lee will retain his position as Chairman of the Marvel subsidiary and become an Associate Director for the overarching Walt Disney Entertainment board. Star Publishing Vice President and Chief Editor Jim Shooter will become President and CEO of Marvel Entertainment, passing on Editor in Chief duties to Tom De Falco, while Marvel Productions President and CEO Margaret Loesch will leave behind the Marvel brand to become Vice President of Production for Children’s TV Programming under Disney Studios. All three will report to Disney Studios Chairman and President Jim Henson, and will join the Disney Studios board of directors[4].

The acquisition brings with it the opportunity for future Disney productions featuring Marvel characters in addition to the existing relationship in the comics world[5]. Marvel Chairman Stan Lee told WSJ “This is a good thing. We’ve had an excellent working relationship with Disney already through Star. We now get the chance to work together on television or even movies too!” Recently promoted Marvel Publishing President[6] Jim Shooter echoed the sentiments: “It’s always great to work with Jim [Henson] and Frank [Wells]. I’ve learned a lot from both of them.” Disney CCO Jim Henson said, “this gives [Disney] the opportunity to expand into new realms of the imagination and offer fans some positive role models and life’s lessons. The Marvel superhero lines have all the action of a war cartoon, but without the inherent aggression[7].”

Some in the industry are questioning the wisdom and timing of the purchase, however. The acquisition comes as profit margins for TV animation continue to shrink and comics struggle to expand their audience. Target audiences for the Sunbow lines in particular, the studio’s most popular, are reaching adolescence without new younger audience taking their place, and the costs associated with Asian-made animation continue to increase due to rising wages and the increasing strength of the Yen vs. the dollar[8]. Furthermore, the recent flop of Supergirl bodes poorly for superhero-based films with some suggesting that audiences are losing interest in the genre[9]. Others, however, cite the growing market share for comic books with adults and the explosion of individual lines following the loosening of restrictions by the Comics Code Authority and see opportunity for some of the more mature Marvel titles and storylines to be leveraged as replacement series for the audience. Whatever the business case, the fans, including many in the WSJ staff remain hopeful that exciting things are to come.

* * *​

Superman Flies to Warner
Wall Street Journal, May 19th, 1986

Screen_Shot_2020-07-22_at_3.00.21_AM.png

(Image source "rogerebert.com")

Los Angeles – Warner Brothers and Alexander and Ilya Salkind announced the sale of the Superman film rights to Warner, repatriating the superhero franchise with the rest of the DC Comics universe, which is a subsidiary of Warner. The Salkinds produced the three recent blockbuster Superman films as well as the flop Supergirl. The purchase puts an end to production on Superman IV, which Warner executives made clear that they would not be producing. The sale also leaves the future of the Superman film franchise in doubt, as Warner has shown little progress in moving the proposed Batman film out of Production Hell. WSJ analysists cite the recent purchase of Marvel Entertainment by Walt Disney Studios as a possible motive for the buy, positioning Warner to compete against any Disney films based upon the rival comics brand with the flagship Caped Crusader in their corner.

* * *​

Dungeons, Dragons, and…Donald Duck?
Wall Street Journal, June 14th, 1986

Tsr_logo_lines.png

Burbank – After acquiring Marvel Publishing last month, The Walt Disney Entertainment Company has acquired Tactical Studies Rules, Inc., or TSR, through its Marvel subsidiary in a merging of stock. TSR is best known for its Dungeons & Dragons line of games, game products, and animated TV series along with other games and gaming paraphernalia. Through a deal negotiated by Gary Gygax, Jim Shooter, and Ron Miller, TSR joint owners Kevin and Brian Blume and Gary Gygax have all agreed to exchange their controlling interest in TSR in exchange for a monetarily equivalent amount of newly issued Marvel stock plus Disney’s assumption of $1.5 million in debt from the financially strained games publishing company, the fiscal hardship a product of alleged financial mismanagement by the Blume brothers. Kevin and Brian Blume will retire from the company while Gary Gygax and his sister Lorraine Williams will take positions on the Marvel board of directors, where Gygax will manage the creative efforts of the TSR label while Williams will handle the financial interests[10].

The acquisition brings with it the profitable Dungeons & Dragons line and subsidiary trademarks, including the popular Dragonlance series of books and games, along with the gaming rights to numerous popular franchises including Indiana Jones and Conan. Williams has also agreed to license her family’s rights to the Buck Rogers franchise to Marvel and Disney. “I’m very pleased to team up with TSR,” said Disney CCO Jim Henson. “While I’ve never played D&D myself, I’m very impressed with its ability to teach practical mathematics and to stimulate the imagination.” The move was viewed positively by Wall Street, who saw a 1.4% increase in the value of outstanding Marvel stock.

* * *​

Excerpt from Disney Magazine, July, 1986

Are you Ready for the X-Men?

xmen1.jpg

(Image source "wearescifibloggers.com")

Professor Xavier and his “Mutants” are coming to your house! Yes, the uncanny “X-Men”, powerful but oppressed superheroes, will be starring in their own new Marvel Productions TV series as they battle the machinations of the extremist “Brotherhood of Mutants” while simultaneously trying to protect and serve the average citizens who despise and fear them. X-Men offers adventurous children or teens the chance to follow the X-Men on their exciting missions while learning and growing with the important lessons of tolerance, understanding, and working together despite differences in opinion or attitude. Coming this fall to the PFN afterschool lineup, the X-Men are the show you won’t want to miss!

Adventures into the Imagination with Mickey!

per195726.jpg

(Image source "cbarks.dk")

Did you ever want to be Mickey? Or Donald? Or Kermit? Well, now you can, and the only limit is your imagination, with Mickeyquest, a new roleplaying game for the young or young at heart created by the clever folks at TSR! You can play as one of the many premade characters, like the gallant Sir Mickey or glamorous Princess Piggy, or create your own custom Disney character using simple, step-by-step character generation rules. Mickeyquest will teach young kids the principles of math, probability, and imagination while allowing them to live out fantastic adventures in limitless worlds of their own creation. Available now at The Disney Store and other fine retailers!

* * *​

Finally, a Star Wars RPG!
Dragon Magazine, November, 1986

Star_Wars_Role-Playing_Game_1987.jpg

Not this, I’m afraid…

Rejoice, gamers and geeks, for we finally have a tabletop roleplaying game based upon the Star Wars galaxy! After years of having to settle for blatant rip-off game lines, Lucasfilm has finally approved the creation of a true Star Wars RPG. TSR Games, now a subsidiary of Marvel Entertainment (and therefore Disney), has announced a licensing deal with Lucasfilm for the beloved science fiction franchise, expanding upon their existing partnership, which spawned the Indiana Jones RPG. Players can now jump into the Star Wars galaxy, playing an X-Wing pilot, a smuggler, a Wookie, a Jedi, or even a princess, with rules for melee combat, space combat at the fighter or capital ship scale, and using the Force. Ready in time for Christmas of ’86, its sure to be a best seller. The Star Wars Role Playing Game joins the venerable Dungeons & Dragons (Basic and Advanced), Indiana Jones, Marvel Heroes, Conan, and Ghostbusters RPGs, among others[11]. And to fans of Star Frontiers – and yes, we know you are out there – you will be relieved to learn that TSR plans to maintain the characters, races, and worlds of Star Frontiers as a “neighboring galaxy” to the Galaxy Far, Far Away.

* * *​

“Marvel and TSR together under one roof? I’m excited. And all signs point to Mickey and Donald giving Stan and Gary the creative space they need to work. The truth is that TSR was on the verge of bankruptcy. I might have bought them myself if I could. Am I worried about the competition? Not really. There’s an advantage to being the plucky outsider, after all.” – Steve Jackson, 1986

“How soon before the inevitable Mickey Mouse appearance at Xavier’s School?” – from a snarky Letter to the Editor, Marvel Magazine, 1986

Dungeons and Dragons has entered into the House of Walt, did you hear that, brothers and sisters? This nefarious gateway to gambling and Satan is now being peddled alongside Mickey Mouse and Cinderella. For shame, Disney, for shame!” – Rev. Jerry Falwell, 1986

[1] In our timeline Griffin was bought by Columbia Pictures, then part of Coca-Cola, for $250 million, one of dozens of such “small” acquisitions they made at this time. Here, losing Ghostbusters to Disney in 1984 means that Columbia is about $300 million poorer at this point (Box Office + VHS + merch) than in our timeline. As huge as $300 million sounds to us, to Coca-Cola in 1986 this is simply “spending cash” (the “New Coke” fiasco was far costlier), so losing Ghostbusters isn’t the game-changing butterfly one might think it would be. Generally speaking, it takes a monumental bomb to truly damage a studio. A $15-20 million flop isn’t an issue even in the ‘80s. It’s when a $40-50 million film like Ishtar or Heaven’s Gate flops that it can drag a studio to hell with it.

[2] Notably does not include MTV and Nickelodeon, which were retained by Warner in this timeline. Viacom was acquired by Redstone in our timeline at about the same time.

[3] Purchased by New World Entertainment in our timeline, who in turn sold it to MacAndrews and Forbes Holdings in 1987. Disney in this timeline has made about $700 million in net profits from Jan 1984 to May 1986 (see earlier 5-Year Financial Data). Compare this to our timeline’s just over $500 million in net profits from Jan 1984-Dec 1986, where Eisner needed a few years to rebuild the failing studios (most profits came from the parks). Here, the profits from Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, and other successful Disney films from this timeline add to that “base”. This has allowed Disney to pay down the roughly $500 million in debt (plus interest) incurred in the hostile takeover attempt with a hundred and fifty million in cash to spare, making a $46 million acquisition well within reach. Oh, and Hat Tip to @Ogrebear for bringing the Marvel buy from our timeline to my attention.

[4] Recall that Disney Studios is one “finger” in the “Mickey Glove” that is the Walt Disney Entertainment Company.

[5] Recall that Marvel’s Star Comics label handles all of Disney’s domestic comics.

[6] Promoted for his great work in turning around the Marvel line as well as launching the Star line and integrating the Gold Key and Harvey teams. Stan Lee was happy to stay as Chairman and be the “face” of the company while Shooter handles the day-to-day operations. As a part of Disney Lee will continue to be the “face” of the brand, mainly through interviews, appearances, and gratuitous cameos, while Shooter will be the main driver of operations. Loesch will become a major producer for Disney.

[7] Henson likes in particular how Peter Parker can solve things through his wits rather than through just blowing things up. He loves the mature themes and important lessons about tolerance and “great responsibility” as well. He will complete whatever contractually obligated projects remain with Sunbow (e.g. the Transformers and GI Joe movies) but will not continue further with them.

[8] By 1986/7 there’d been a major “lock out” in these franchises for new audiences as the old audience (e.g. me) moved on to more “teenage” concerns, but the story and toy lines had grown far too big and complex for new audiences to become invested. Toy sales plummeted while costs increased. By 1988 Japanese wages averaged 70% of US wages and there had been a 40% increase in the value of the Yen vs. the dollar between ’85 and ’88 [Source]. In our timeline Disney had predicted this latter aspect and bought up a bunch of Yen ahead of time, but in this timeline a majority of Disney animation production never left the US and other methods (e.g. CG framing and backgrounds and reuse of stock poses) were used to reduce costs. Other studios in our timeline and this one moved to Taiwanese or Korean studios with less experience, resulting in falling quality.

[9] I don’t see anything that’s likely to save Supergirl shy of a major shakeup in management. The Salkinds really were running the franchise into the ground by that point through constant micromanagement of directors and an inability to get their heads out of the long-dead Silver Age. Let’s say that Christopher Reeves makes a cameo in this timeline. Still not enough to save it.

[10] In our timeline Gygax, outraged by the mismanagement and debt, pressured the board to drive out the Blume brothers, who in turn sold their stock to Williams, whom Gygax had brought on board earlier. Gygax tried to block the sale, but failed, and effectively rage-quit TSR, selling his stock to Williams. Williams managed to get TSR’s finances in order, but reportedly felt superior to gamers and gained a bad reputation with the employees and fandom alike, leading to small acts of rebellion. In this timeline, the sale of Marvel to Disney combined with Marvel’s existing two-way licensing relationship with TSR offered a more elegant solution to the impasse. Eventually in the early 1990s in this timeline, Williams, due to a combination of conflict with the Marvel/TSR employees and personal ambition, will transfer to the Disney finance department where she will become the Vice President for Finance in Disney Publishing division.

[11] Alas, poor West End Games! Not only did Ghostbusters go to TSR, but so has Star Wars! I hated to butterfly good ol’ “Star Wars D6”, but that’s the way the little bastards flew. Now that Lucas is a part owner of Disney and Disney owns TSR, it’s pretty much the inevitable outcome. At least we’ll always have Paranoia. And you are happy with this, aren’t you, citizen?

Man, Spider-Man, Casper and Dungeons & Dragons ALL now under the House of Mouse?! I'm game! On the other hand, Universal is gonna be displeased as that Howard the Duck film they distributed (and probably co-produced) with Marvel/Lucas/Proto-Bakshi-Kricfalusi A.K.A Bat-Shit ITTL is now a part of Disney...

A thought: considering Jim's interest in anime, and the likely possibility that The Lion King might not exist ITTL due to Katzenberg not being at Disney, perhaps something involving Kimba the White Lion could happen (and it'd make a nice allohistorical allusion to the infamous Kimba-TLK debacle; watch YMS' video on it, it deconstructs and refutes pretty much every point of the argument that TLK "ripped off" Kimba).

The purchase puts an end to production on Superman IV, which Warner executives made clear that they would not be producing.
Well that's for the better or worse. At least Superman trilogy can end as an actually trilogy, and at least on an average note at that.
At least we’ll always have Paranoia. And you are happy with this, aren’t you, citizen?
I'm not. I never even heard of Paranoia until now and had to look it up.
Dungeons and Dragons has entered into the House of Walt, did you hear that, brothers and sisters? This nefarious gateway to gambling and Satan is now being peddled alongside Mickey Mouse and Cinderella. For shame, Disney, for shame!” – Rev. Jerry Falwell, 1986
No, Jerry and all the moral panickers: corporate greed is the gateway to gambling and Satan!
Besides, Dungeons and Dragons is not gambling at all; its a board game, just like Chess and Monopoly. You'd think parents would gladly accept kids playing it over kids being glued to the TV, but nope!

"[2] Notably does not include MTV and Nickelodeon, which were retained by Warner in this timeline. Viacom was acquired by Redstone in our timeline at about the same time."
So this could be ATL's Cartoon Network?

Last edited:
Man, Spider-Man, Casper and Dungeons & Dragons ALL now under the House of Mouse?! I'm game!
You took the words straight out of my mouth!

Speaking of all that has happened in today's update, are we going to have an earlier Toon Disney Channel in our timeline, what with all the new animated content?

"[2] Notably does not include MTV and Nickelodeon, which were retained by Warner in this timeline. Viacom was acquired by Redstone in our timeline at about the same time."
So this could be ATL's Cartoon Network?
Sounds possible, but at the same time, Nickelodeon could ATL also become a repository for live-action children's television, especially given how one of its biggest hits early on was the Canadian show You Can't Do That on Television, thus cornering the market once Cartoon Network becomes a thing.

Last edited:
Sounds possible, but at the same time, Nickelodeon could ATL also become a repository for live-action children's television, especially given how one of its biggest hits early on was the Canadian show You Can't Do That on Television, thus cornering the market once Cartoon Network becomes a thing.
Perhaps the CN Real programs become Nickelodeon favorites instead, while The Ren and Stimpy Show is made at Cartoon Network. The former change would give these shows more unironic respect, while the latter change would be a dream for John K., considering his influences and the early years of The Flintstones. That, and the likes of Boo Boo Runs Wild from our timeline.

As for Doug and Rugrats, methinks Disney grabbing both of them for their own network from the start would be a sight to behold, much like the very idea that D&D would be owned by the same company that makes money thanks to a mouse and is run by a frog. I'm sorry, but I'm still wrapping my head around that.

And you are happy with this, aren’t you, citizen?
Very much so, Friend Computer!

Looks like Steve Jackson is doing okay--now I'm kind of interested in whether he gets raided as IOTL or whether butterflies intervene (though someone inappropriate is going to get hit by the feds, just like every time there's some new form of crime that older people/groups don't really understand but know needs to be fought)

marathag

Banned
Very much so, Friend Computer!

Looks like Steve Jackson is doing okay--now I'm kind of interested in whether he gets raided as IOTL or whether butterflies intervene (though someone inappropriate is going to get hit by the feds, just like every time there's some new form of crime that older people/groups don't really understand but know needs to be fought)
Fnord.

As for Doug and Rugrats, methinks Disney grabbing both of them for their own network from the start would be a sight to behold, much like the very idea that D&D would be owned by the same company that makes money thanks to a mouse and is run by a frog. I'm sorry, but I'm still wrapping my head around that.
Hah, everyone knows the pig is in charge of the frog lol

Perhaps the CN Real programs become Nickelodeon favorites instead, while The Ren and Stimpy Show is made at Cartoon Network. The former change would give these shows more unironic respect, while the latter change would be a dream for John K., considering his influences and the early years of The Flintstones. That, and the likes of Boo Boo Runs Wild from our timeline.
It'd be far more likely that CN Real is just butterflied as a whole TTL, given the circumstances that prompted its creation, same with other similar live-action projects like Re-Animated and Out of Jimmy's Head. I could even imagine Stuart Snyder not even getting close to becoming President and Chief Operating Officer of Animation, Young Adults, and Kids Media at Turner Broadcasting TTL (perhaps seen only as a distant option due to his position as General Manager and Senior Vice President of GameTap, if it is a thing ATL).

However, at the same time, Turner and Warner still aren't owned by the same company, right? If Turner and Warner remain separate entities, that gives justification enough for Nickelodeon to go its own path as it did OTL.

Last edited:
It'd be far more likely that CN Real is just butterflied as a whole TTL, given the circumstances that prompted its creation, same with other similar live-action projects like Re-Animated and Out of Jimmy's Head. I could even imagine Stuart Snyder not even getting close to becoming President and Chief Operating Officer of Animation, Young Adults, and Kids Media at Turner Broadcasting TTL (perhaps seen only as a distant option due to his position as General Manager and Senior Vice President of GameTap, if it is a thing ATL).

However, at the same time, Turner and Warner still aren't owned by the same company, right? If Turner and Warner remain separate entities, that gives justification enough for Nickelodeon to go its own path as it did OTL.
Turner and warner staying separate could also have saved WCW...that, and not signing hogan, hall and nash as well as pushing the young talents such as Austin, Pillman and the Cruiserweights.

Disney CCO Jim Henson said, “this gives [Disney] the opportunity to expand into new realms of the imagination and offer fans some positive role models and life’s lessons. The Marvel superhero lines have all the action of a war cartoon, but without the inherent aggression[7].”
I find certain amount of irony in this quote considering that the Punisher rose to prominence at around this time.

D&D owned by DISNEY? Whoa. Hopefully, they can avoid the 90s, which, for TSR, was basically like that one bit where Sideshow Bob steps on rakes. Plus, since tabletop games are pretty much the only field of human media that Disney OTL is not a major player in, i'm fascinating to see what results.

D&D owned by DISNEY? Whoa. Hopefully, they can avoid the 90s, which, for TSR, was basically like that one bit where Sideshow Bob steps on rakes. Plus, since tabletop games are pretty much the only field of human media that Disney OTL is not a major player in, i'm fascinating to see what results.
With Gygax still at TSR as the creative force maybe. Plus they will still have Frank Mentzer if that helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.