Status
Not open for further replies.
Will Colette be just eye candy for boys, or will her as a mascot encourage some marketing to girls?

Going back to Cats for a moment, I thought of another bonus to doing the animated way we've been talking about.
They could show up in other shows. Groweltiger's design could work as an adventurer in Ducktales or Talespin, and Macavity as the criminal mastermind replacing Fat Cat in the Rescue Rangers. Or similar type shows if those exact ones don't happen.
The trouble with trying to get Cats characters into other roles is that Disney (to the best of my knowledge) wouldn't own the characters. Sure they could do the character designs for animation, but the characters themselves are property of the T.S. Eliot estate, the rights to all the music is Weber's, and the rights to the adaptation belonged to Spielberg who would essentially hire Disney to make a film he had trouble doing at his own studio. Unless part of the deal for making the picture was a transfer of ownership of some sort or 'rights to use' are sorted out [1], Cats is emphatically not part of Disney's stable of animated films. It really is an art piece.

Concerning Colette, I've finally got something worth sharing, I'll try and post before the weekend after I've cleaned up the lines into legibility. Rest assured there's nothing 'eye candy' about either design, although the 'tall' version is foxier (not sorry) than the 'short' version. Both versions have plenty of opportunity for snark and sass.
I've dressed up a Turkey for you
I see what you did there.

[1] I know nothing of copyright law other than through general osmosis, so take all of that with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Converting board games into video games is a time-honoured tradition! Since we've been talking Atari for a bit I fully support GW and Atari signing a licensing deal.
I wonder if an Atari version of Space Hulk can rival X-Com on the PC in this timeline?

Will Colette be just eye candy for boys, or will her as a mascot encourage some marketing to girls?

Going back to Cats for a moment, I thought of another bonus to doing the animated way we've been talking about.
They could show up in other shows. Groweltiger's design could work as an adventurer in Ducktales or Talespin, and Macavity as the criminal mastermind replacing Fat Cat in the Rescue Rangers. Or similar type shows if those exact ones don't happen.
I personally hope that Colette would have a personality outside of the results of her puberty.

So, essentially, if Cats gets made by Disney as an animated feature, certain characters may cross over into The Disney Afternoon? That is, for better or for worse, very interesting!
The trouble with trying to get Cats characters into other roles is that Disney (to the best of my knowledge) wouldn't own the characters. Sure they could do the character designs for animation, but the characters themselves are property of the T.S. Eliot estate, the rights to all the music is Weber's, and the rights to the adaptation belonged to Spielberg who would essentially hire Disney to make a film he had trouble doing at his own studio. Unless part of the deal for making the picture was a transfer of ownership of some sort or 'rights to use' are sorted out [1], Cats is emphatically not part of Disney's stable of animated films. It really is an art piece.

Concerning Colette, I've finally got something worth sharing, I'll try and post before the weekend after I've cleaned up the lines into legibility. Rest assured there's nothing 'eye candy' about either design, although the 'tall' version is foxier (not sorry) than the 'short' version. Both versions have plenty of opportunity for snark and sass.

I see what you did there.

[1] I know nothing of copyright law other than through general osmosis, so take all of that with a grain of salt.
Colette, according to the official Atari bio, is "an outgoing, athletic adveturer who likes sports, exercise, eating healthy, dancing, playing music, and going on advetures with her friends. She's smart, she's sassy, and she's ready to save the day." They'll use her and Bentley (who is quite active despite his body shape) to encurage an "active lifestyle" in their players as something to push back against the inevitable backlash from parents that their kids are playing oo many video games. There'll be no overt effort to sexualize her, but it seems ineviatble that the furry fandom will latch on to her as it were.

As to Cats, probably not going to appear as more than cameos for all the reasons GrahamB stated.
Any chance of making this happen ITTL:

Converting board games into video games is a time-honoured tradition! Since we've been talking Atari for a bit I fully support GW and Atari signing a licensing deal.
I wonder if an Atari version of Space Hulk can rival X-Com on the PC in this timeline?
Can be done. In fact, if anyone want to make lists and short descriptions of videogame releases?

$37m on a $2m budget? That’s serious bank!

Raining is going to be drowning in offers after this. Hope his next few movies do not suck so it’s not a ‘lighting in a bottle’ or indeed gets him stuck in horror land.

Are ‘smart-slashers’ like the phycological horrors we got OTL? The Blair Witches, or American Physio?
That's a bit better than OTL where F13p5 made $22 million and on par with Freddy III, but nothing super-incredible for a slasher.

A Smart Slasher is a bit of a psychological horror, or uses metatextual techniques and fourth wall breaks (the OTL F13p6 nearly counts), or shows self awareness, or otherwise asks viewers to not just leave their brain at the door. Blair Witch or American Psycho would have fit in as would Evil Dead II, the Scream series, Wes Craven's New Nightmare, Cabin in the Woods, or the original Psycho, fo that matter.

EDIT: a lot of the recent "social commentary horror" films like Get Out, Us, or "symbolic" horror like Bird Box or A Quiet Place would fit in too.

Raimi will certainly be heard from again.
That could be an interesting idea, had they had any female slashers yet?
There is the very first Friday, but apart from that, I don't know.

As others have mentioned the original Friday the 13th (Jason's mom), but there's never to my mind been a "Female slasher" in terms of a recurring character. Hmm....

I've actually had an idea for a slasher film where there's a whole team of slashers based on high school student archtypes, and maybe down the road ITTL it or something similar comes here.
Send me a PM if you want or keep the idea for yourself.

Did... you just butterfly away Jason Lives? The only good Friday movie?

For shame man. Losing the Alice Cooper soundtrack alone hurts.
Unknown said:
Well, this is a better Part 5 than OTL, so it balances out, IMO...

Well, you can't win 'em all. Butterflies fly both ways. You won't beleive the things I loved that I'll have to kill. That said, the factors and people that led to Jason Lives are still there, so stay tuned.

Last edited:
As others have mentioned the original Friday the 13th (Jason's mom), but there's never to my mind been a "Female slasher" in terms of a recurring character. Hmm....
The closest is Sleepaway Camp's Angela, who's transgender, but she went from being a sympathetic figure ala Carrie in the original to a 2 dimensional villain in the sequels.

The closest is Sleepaway Camp's Angela, who's transgender, but she went from being a sympathetic figure ala Carrie in the original to a 2 dimensional villain in the sequels.
Well, the apparent "default states" of transgender women in Hollywood prior to just the last decade or so have been 1) joke or 2) psycho. Making her at first sympathetic is I guess a step up. 😏

I wonder if Basic Instinct counts, or Fatal Attraction, although "jilted, murdering black widow type" was kind of its own genre there for a while.

Well, the apparent "default states" of transgender women in Hollywood prior to just the last decade or so have been 1) joke or 2) psycho. Making her at first sympathetic is I guess a step up. 😏

I wonder if Basic Instinct counts, or Fatal Attraction, although "jilted, murdering black widow type" was kind of its own genre there for a while.
Serial mom was fun to watch though

Is it just me, or is your vision of psychological horror completely different from mine? Cause when i think of psychological horror, i think of silent hill, let the right one in, Ringu and ju-on, not american psycho or blair witch or evil dead. Granted, a more accurate description of silent hill and let the right one in would be ambient/Chill/tragic horror.

Speaking of which, could the concept of silent hill have been invented by a filmmaker before akira yamaoka came up with it? Cause we had elements of what silent hill would be known for in many movies before, such as eraserhead and jacob's ladder, foe example, but we never truly had a real silent hill movie (the one we got OTL, while a valiant effort, wasn't even close.) With all the elements that makes it what it is. It would be cool if some avant-garde filmmaker thought of the concept after listening to brian eno's ambient albums or smoked lots of weed or some shit lol!

@Geekhis Khan I’ve been reading this story for a while and really enjoying/loving it so far. :closedeyesmile: I’m very curious what future butterflies might be in store in this story and what might be able to escape being butterflied away. I really, really hope The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast might be able to totally avoid being butterflied away in this story, even if other Disney Renaissance movies like Lion King are likely butterflied away. I think there’s still a way with how things stand for both to still exist.

One thing that has me intrigued is whether or not there might be a third WDW park in this timeline any time soon. Even if it did, I don’t think it’d be based on movies and movie making like Hollywood Studios in OTL (though it very well still could I suppose, especially since the concept originally evolved from a idea for a EPCOT movie/Hollywood pavilion that later evolved into MGM Stud). The lack of Hollywood/MGM Studios (due to no Eisner) will be interesting for the effect it’ll have on Universal Studios Florida. Not only will USF likely I think in this timeline open in the original planned date of 1989 (due to no Back to the Future ride), but it’s likely to be more of an actual working studio (basically what Hollywood/MGM Studios was when it first opened in OTL) with a more legitimate tram tour, and could also very well end up becoming a financial disaster overall (again due to the lack of the BTTF ride and possibly being more focused on being a legitimate working studio with a tram tour, which wouldn’t be as popular following the rise of the DVD).

Though speaking of theme parks, I’m also curious how EuroDisneyland will turn out in this timeline. I don’t think it’d open in Italy or Britain (the main reason it didn’t in our timeline was due to the lack of space), so it’d probably still be down to France or Spain, with France still being the more likely of the two. Personally, looking at the history, I think you can still have the park be a success ITTL even if Disney open it in the same location from OTL. Disney just have to A), not be condescending in their marketing toward France and not force American food in the parks, B) limit it to one hotel available at opening, C) Have Discoveryland, in particular Space Mountain, open with the rest of the park, and D) Don’t announce and start working on a second Euro theme park while the first just opened and is still struggling.

Last edited:
  1. Maybe the equivalent of Disney Hollywood/MGM Studios could be a version of the proposed Disney's America park that had been planned in Virginia. Namely a theme park based around American history. Which would avoid the issues the OTL project had of being too close to a Civil War battlefield. Or it could be a similar park to OTL where they build Disney's first major Muppet-themed land like they planned in OTL. With the Muppets having taken over a film studio in their efforts to get a fictional muppet movie made.
  2. I like the idea of Henson helping EuroDisney succeed simply by encouraging more respect for French culture in the design and construction of the theme park. Maybe they could negotiate for the theme park rights to Asterix. Include some French culture in the park. I could see a Beauty and the Beast ride being built and needing modifications when the movie is released. I still would love to see my Ghost Ship idea included somewhere, but not including it wouldn't sink my enjoyment of this thread.
Damn, do I love putting my imaginary Imagineer hat on to dream up these theme park ideas.

I almost forgot to add to the original post above, but if your interested @Geekhis Khan, I recently came across the original 1980’s plan for EuroDisneyland on the DisneyMaps subreddit. There is quite a number of interesting differences between the plans for the park then and what we eventually got OTL when it finally opened, with the exception of Frontierland, which seems to be virtually identical to what the final result ended up being OTL (Phantom Manor, Big Thunder Mountain in middle of lake).

BF836407-0FDD-4265-B27A-872E6F4D0482.jpeg

Last edited:
Or it could be a similar park to OTL where they build Disney's first major Muppet-themed land like they planned in OTL. With the Muppets having taken over a film studio in
This idea does have some merit:
I like the idea of Henson helping EuroDisney succeed simply by encouraging more respect for French culture in the design and construction of the theme park.
I think putting somewhere in southern France might also work, so that they have less competition from more established European theme parks.

This idea does have some merit:

I think putting somewhere in southern France might also work, so that they have less competition from more established European theme parks.
Don’t think a full on Muppetville park would work (nor do I think Disney would even do it), but I could see a Muppetland, like we have in Hollywood Studios today in OTL, in either a third park or Magic Kingdom.

As for Southern France, from what I understand based on the history behind EuroDisneyland, the original top contender for the park was in fact in Southern France near Toulon. The reason Disney didn’t go for it ultimately was because they found shallow bedrock underneath the site, and it would have been therefore been more costly and difficult to build there. One of the other final four potential sites, in Spain, was over a environmental site that was one of the last homes of a endangered species. Logically, it wouldn’t surprise me therefore if in ITTL, EuroDisneyland is built on the same site as in OTL.

Last edited:
Don’t think a full on Muppetville park would work (nor do I think Disney would even do it), but I could see a Muppetland, like we have in Hollywood Studios today in OTL, in either a third park or Magic Kingdom.

As for Southern France, from what I understand based on the history behind EuroDisneyland, the original top contender for the park was in fact in Southern France near Toulon. The reason Disney didn’t go for it ultimately was because they found shallow bedrock underneath the site, and it would have been therefore been more costly and difficult to build there. One of the other final four potential sites, in Spain, was over a environmental site that was one of the last homes of a endangered species. Logically, it wouldn’t surprise me therefore if in ITTL, EuroDisneyland is built on the same site as in OTL.
That's why I suggested having a Muppet-themed land in "Hollywood Studios". Plus I think that a wacky film studio invaded by the Muppets would be a fun idea to explore.

It'd be ironic if the difference between OTL failure and TTL's success would be Henson doing a better job marketing the park to the French.

That's why I suggested having a Muppet-themed land in "Hollywood Studios". Plus I think that a wacky film studio invaded by the Muppets would be a fun idea to explore.

It'd be ironic if the difference between OTL failure and TTL's success would be Henson doing a better job marketing the park to the French.
I’d hesitate to say it’d be the only thing, but it’d certainly be a huge factor. Like I said, I think also having Space Mountain/Discoveryland more complete when the park opens would also help, as Space Mountain arguably singlehandedly saved the park from bankruptcy in OTL, and it's very likely many of the other Discoveryland rides would have been quite popular with the French as well. Having less hotels would also help, as the park opened with too many hotels and many of them ended up being too empty and as a result just bleed Disney money.

The good news is that having less hotels would arguably mean there'd be more budget/time available to have Discoveryland/Space Mountain done by the park's opening, so really you just need to figure out a way to have Disney decide to limit themselves on the number of hotels when the park opens in order to get Discoveryland and Space Mountain by the parks opening. Well that and have the park be marketed better to the French, all of which is very possible ITTL.

Last edited:
I’d hesitate to say it’d be the only thing, but it’d certainly be a huge factor. Like I said, I think having Space Mountain/Discoveryland more complete when the park opens would also help, as the Space Mountain arguably singlehandedly saved the park from bankruptcy in OTL. Having less hotels would also help, as the park opened with too many hotels and many of them ended up being too empty and bleeding Disney money.
I agree that having a land that's a massive love letter to Jules Verne like Discoveryland in the park from the get-go would be a big factor in the park's success. And Disney building fewer hotels and allowing French businesses to pick up the slack in the initial years of the park's operation would be a shrewd financial decision.

All in all I completely agree with your assessment.

Status
Not open for further replies.