A Guide, Resource, and Repository of Could-have-been Ideologies for your Alternate History

Approximately 1 in 100 people are sociopaths, and while many of them end up in prison most sociopaths to my knowledge tend to either be apathetic and amoral manipulative leeches, ambitious yet ruthless high-functioning types, or generally bitter social rejects. I knew a diagnosed sociopath (technically conduct disorder, but that's almost always a prelude to a ASPD diagnosis) in high school, and he was very charming and likable even as he was talking about murdering his family.

That said, the main element of sociopathy is a complete lack of empathy, which is surprisingly common even among "normal" people. It's likely that everyone in this thread has met a sociopath.

I don't get that feeling.

Even at my angriest, I do eventually feel regret for my actions.

What makes someone's brain incapable of guilt?

I don't get that feeling.

Even at my angriest, I do eventually feel regret for my actions.

What makes someone's brain incapable of guilt?
It's usually just something you're born with, or you develop from a very young age. They're people who just can't feel empathy for other human beings. It's like...You know how when you see a movie where the hero guns down a thousand goons in gas masks, and you're cheering for the hero because he wants to save his kid but you don't care about if the goons had kids too?

Sociopaths treat other people as those goons. They understand what they're doing, they just don't care because the hero is them and their motivations are the only ones that seem important. This is distinct from narcissists, who crave praise and attention but can care about other people (even if they ultimately do so as an extension of their own desires). A narcissist might genuinely love his wife because she is part of this beautiful romance they're a part of and he believes that a man as great as him should have such a perfect wife as well to treasure, while a sociopath would simply keep her around because he enjoys her company or likes having someone around to cook and clean but leave her as soon as he saw someone he preferred more without a second thought.

Yes, since this is a thread for making ideologies I think this is fit.
No, no it isn't actually. It's a thread for actual ideologies that actually existed, not a thread for ideologies you made up which just happen to use a word which already refers to a form of bigotry that is still very present within our society.

I'm not going to lie, as someone who is disabled and has faced actual ableism - the kind that fits under its actual definition - I find this incredibly insulting, especially since you also literally refused to listen when someone pointed out that this was a thread for real ideologies.

I'm trying to be polite here, but I beg you to please actually read the thread and not just the title before replying.

No, no it isn't actually. It's a thread for actual ideologies that actually existed, not a thread for ideologies you made up which just happen to use a word which already refers to a form of bigotry that is still very present within our society.

I'm not going to lie, as someone who is disabled and has faced actual ableism - the kind that fits under its actual definition - I find this incredibly insulting, especially since you also literally refused to listen when someone pointed out that this was a thread for real ideologies.

I'm trying to be polite here, but I beg you to please actually read the thread and not just the title before replying.
Actually, I erased my posts here in this thread already here so there is no need to discuss.

This is originally meant to be a satyre.

We should not judge people with our limited perspectives that is my point here.

Last edited:
Approximately 1 in 100 people are sociopaths, and while many of them end up in prison most sociopaths to my knowledge tend to either be apathetic and amoral manipulative leeches, ambitious yet ruthless high-functioning types, or generally bitter social rejects. . .
. . . It's like...You know how when you see a movie where the hero guns down a thousand goons in gas masks, and you're cheering for the hero because he wants to save his kid but you don't care about if the goons had kids too?

Sociopaths treat other people as those goons. . .
On the other hand, do you want a medical professional who cringes when they try to put an IV in your arm? All they’re going to do is make the procedure worse.

Or more seriously, you know that in many cases of chemo for cancer, the chemo is designed to almost but not quite kill the patient, right? But if the doctor bends himself or herself into a pretzel, that is not going to help matters.

Instead it’s much more functional to have the attitude, yeah, the patient’s in pretty bad shape, but we still have a chance for remission.

—————————————

As far as ideology . . . beliefs about masculinity, courage, toughness, etc, are just not very developed and advanced. And although there are a lot of stories and parables almost, there are surprisingly few which can be drawn upon in real time to help with decisions.

For example, it’s almost 50-50 whether an act of “toughness” will be viewed as:

1) mean and bullying behavior, or​

2) something to be admired and looked up to.​

And sometimes the same spectator or person who hears about it will be unsure and debate it with themselves and/or view it both ways.

Last edited:
Unnamed Ideology of the Natural Law Party
1626976677888.png
Look, man, we're all one people. We can achieve anything with the right amount of transcendental meditation.

What is the Natural Law Party? Well, it was founded in 1992 by John Hagelin and lasted for a good 12 years. The NLP had a number of positions on various issues which we will dive into soon, but they are most known for their strong advocacy for transcendental meditation, a particular meditative technique. associated with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. The NLP believed that TM methods could align the unified field of all natural laws and that doing this would solve all of society's problems. To that end, Hagelin in his presidential bid had as his signature plank making TM mainstream. There were two main components of this: first by subsidizing 7,000 government-sponsored advanced meditators (dubbed Yogic Flyers) to focus their energy in ways that would boost GDP, lower stress levels and protect the nation from attack. Second the NLP would teach TM techniques in various public spaces-schools, the Armed Forces, prisons, and so on. Yes this seems pretty iffy in terms of First Amendment rights, why do you ask?

But the Natural Law Party is not just a meditation will solve all problems party, friends. They do have an actual platform on other issues-and it is...eclectic let's say. On one hand, there's a lot of very progressive perspectives in it. The NLP was very supportive of environmental protection and the party supported gay rights at a time where support for the LGBT community was a lot weaker. They also favored steps to make abortion less necessary rather than regulating the procedure itself. The party also opposed the electoral college and wanted to limit campaign expenditures. The party endorsed automatic voter registration and public funding of campaigns. On the other hand, there are some stances that are...less left-wing. The party supported a national referendum on capital punishment rather than explicitly opposing it. Additionally, the Natural Law Party favored replacing existing tax brackets with a flat tax. The Natural Law Party's stance on drugs was also quite hardline-Hagelin even supported putting George Schultz of the Reagan administration in the position of drug czar.

A good version of this party would probably focus more on their progressive bona fides than their weirder stances. The best-case for a Natural Law Party would be a somewhat eccentric progressive administration that successfully implements programs that deal with social programs with their transcendental meditation components either not taking place, being kind of in the background or being empirically valid (hey ASBs can do wonders!). A more dubious version of the Natural Law Party OTOH could involve the NLP letting the nation fall into ruin vowing their Yogic Flyers will protect the nation/stop the spread of disease/cure the eocnomy without doing anything else. Perhaps also some more left-ish conspiracy theories like anti-vaccination or hardcore anti-GMO theories also could permeate.

In addition to ideas about courage and toughness lacking multiple examples which help with actual decisions (rather than simply justifying a decision already made),

something as hugely important as jobs has amazingly contradictory beliefs. For example:

1) You have to make people work, and​

2) Work is one of the richest experiences of life.​

Wow.

. . . as someone who is disabled and has faced actual ableism . . .
I’m neurologically diverse and think of it as both a difference and a disability.

Although never officially diagnosed, I’m almost certainly ‘spectrum,’ meaning autism spectrum. I check all the boxes of sensory issues, meltdowns, stimming, etc, etc. It would be $5,000+ for the test, plus I have what I view as pretty healthy skepticism toward mental health professionals. For the common but serious life issues of depression and anxiety, I like to remind people that both psychiatrists and regular doctors like internists can write prescriptions. And that it’s the individual’s choice.

When I was in elementary school way back in the early 1970s, the autistic kids were considered to be those who were nonverbal.

Unnamed Ideology of the Natural Law Party
View attachment 668052
Look, man, we're all one people. We can achieve anything with the right amount of transcendental meditation.

What is the Natural Law Party? Well, it was founded in 1992 by John Hagelin and lasted for a good 12 years. The NLP had a number of positions on various issues which we will dive into soon, but they are most known for their strong advocacy for transcendental meditation, a particular meditative technique. associated with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. The NLP believed that TM methods could align the unified field of all natural laws and that doing this would solve all of society's problems. To that end, Hagelin in his presidential bid had as his signature plank making TM mainstream. There were two main components of this: first by subsidizing 7,000 government-sponsored advanced meditators (dubbed Yogic Flyers) to focus their energy in ways that would boost GDP, lower stress levels and protect the nation from attack. Second the NLP would teach TM techniques in various public spaces-schools, the Armed Forces, prisons, and so on. Yes this seems pretty iffy in terms of First Amendment rights, why do you ask?

But the Natural Law Party is not just a meditation will solve all problems party, friends. They do have an actual platform on other issues-and it is...eclectic let's say. On one hand, there's a lot of very progressive perspectives in it. The NLP was very supportive of environmental protection and the party supported gay rights at a time where support for the LGBT community was a lot weaker. They also favored steps to make abortion less necessary rather than regulating the procedure itself. The party also opposed the electoral college and wanted to limit campaign expenditures. The party endorsed automatic voter registration and public funding of campaigns. On the other hand, there are some stances that are...less left-wing. The party supported a national referendum on capital punishment rather than explicitly opposing it. Additionally, the Natural Law Party favored replacing existing tax brackets with a flat tax. The Natural Law Party's stance on drugs was also quite hardline-Hagelin even supported putting George Schultz of the Reagan administration in the position of drug czar.

A good version of this party would probably focus more on their progressive bona fides than their weirder stances. The best-case for a Natural Law Party would be a somewhat eccentric progressive administration that successfully implements programs that deal with social programs with their transcendental meditation components either not taking place, being kind of in the background or being empirically valid (hey ASBs can do wonders!). A more dubious version of the Natural Law Party OTOH could involve the NLP letting the nation fall into ruin vowing their Yogic Flyers will protect the nation/stop the spread of disease/cure the eocnomy without doing anything else. Perhaps also some more left-ish conspiracy theories like anti-vaccination or hardcore anti-GMO theories also could permeate.
david lynch for NLP candidate when?

Natural Law Party
I guess it would be important to mention, that several Natural Law Parties where founded in various nations. (Germany for example once had one as well)

Probably if they become governing party, their mother organization, the cult of "transcendental meditation" will basically gain control over a country.

I guess it is almost inevitable, that they will fund battalions of "Yogic Flyers", to solve almost every problem.
Also I guess they would probably make transcendental meditation a mandatory school subject.
Since transcendental meditation could "solve" many health issues, I wouldn't be surprised, if they would drastically reduce the healthcare system, or use it to channel money towards their mother organization.