A Guide, Resource, and Repository of Could-have-been Ideologies for your Alternate History

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by PachPachis, Feb 20, 2017.

1. PachPachis hates deconstructionists

A side project I’ve been thinking up, this will be a repository of brief descriptions of ideologies that did exist historically but never really got a big attempt at implementation, unlike the giants of our world like Communism or Democracy. I will also include my personal advice as to how to use these ideologies as villains, good guys from a collectivist perspective, good guys from an individualist perspective, or neutral sideshows.

If you follow or happen to know about any of these and I got something wrong, please do tell me! Furthermore, feel free to add your own entries if you’re just dying to tell the world about the work of an obscure Assyrian philosopher.

Here’s a couple to start:

2. Threadmarks: Technocracy and Physiocracy

PachPachis hates deconstructionists

Technocracy

-3.png
    Yin and Yang? Chrome Pepsi? You decide!

What it is: A system of government where an industrialized nation, known as a technate, is governed by a hierarchical meritocracy where a combination of accomplishment and which traits are needed for the job earn an individual appointment or promotion, rather than elections. This would theoretically remove the emotions and irrationality of the voting base from decisions, leaving bureaucrats, scientists, and engineers who would govern free to make decisions logically.

Portions of the American Technocratic movement claimed it was only possible in industrialized nations, as underdeveloped regions would not be able to support such a rigid government. Interestingly, American technocrats freely admitted they thought technocracy was not a perfect fit for the whole world, at least until it was all industrialized, anyway. They said technocracy could therefore coexist with at least some other ideologies in foreign countries.

Technocracy was sometimes associated with eugenics, but this does not form a core of the philosophy. In fact, some segments of the movement vehemently opposed it as uncivilized and irrational.

As villains:

The meritocracy only seems to promote incompetents or outright psychopaths. The fairness of the system is a joke as nepotism rules the day. Cold, nihilistic and outright malevolent decrees come from the highest levels as the people suffer, unable to hold their own leadership accountable. The technate sweeps through unindustrialized countries, destroying their forests with factories and installing puppet dictators. The uncivilized races do not yet deserve technocracy, nor even the right to breed, after all.

As collectivist good guys:
    The meritocracy works somewhere on a scale from just enough to well. Nepotism is uncommon, and appointees are generally decent at worst. The technate runs a command economy with good labor rights because all managers are former workers due to the exclusively bottom-up nature of promotion. The technate agrees with communists on a lot of economics, but argues over the issue of “hierarchy: To Be Abolished vs. Most Vital Crux of Society?” Capitalism’s market economy is decried as irrational. Fascism is hated as a violent, barbaric, irrational system for idiots and quacks peddling that cheap lie of eugenics.

As individualist good guys:
    The meritocracy works somewhere on a scale from just enough to well. Nepotism is uncommon, and appointees are generally decent at worst. Most industry is privatized, but all corporations are run as mini-technocracies with a fair deal of government oversight. The technate cares not whether the worker answers to a private or public technocrat, after all, only that technocrats run things. The technate is not violently expansionistic and its theory allows for coexistence with other capitalist nations, as technocracy cannot work for everyone unless they choose it. Communism’s end goal of world revolution is considered an existential threat. Fascism is hated as a violent, barbaric, irrational system for idiots and quacks peddling that cheap lie of eugenics.

As neutrals: Not only is technocracy not just for everyone, it’s barely for anyone. The leadership says the technate can only survive exactly where it is located, and the rest of the world is not their concern. Eugenics are practiced against the infirm and mentally ill, but fascism is considered a bridge too far. Communism and capitalist democracy are much too irrational, of course.

Physiocracy

Pierre_Samuel_du_Pont_de_Nemours.jpg
    This Guy is the closest they have to a symbol because he's one of them

The Physiocrats, who called themselves simply The Economists, were a school of 1700s French theorists who broke from the dominant economic theory of mercantilism to argue for the distinctly modern economical perspective that material wealth comes from the value of an entity’s labor.

In particular, they argued that farmers were the most important part of society, responsible for the wealth of nations, and that “land development” products should be priced as the most valuable. They saw the aristocracy and industrial working class as “unproductive appendages” to agrarian labor. They viewed industrial labor as merely “rent” to pay off the debt all city-dwellers owed to the farmers that really owned the land.

In effect, they were a bit marxist in their criticisms of aristocracy, but instead of equalizing everyone, wanted to make farmers the new aristocracy, except these guys would have earned it.
    They were definitely products of their time, when most industry was agrarian, and how they would deal with the industrial revolution provides for interesting possibilities…

As villains:
    The theory, not equipped to handle the industrial revolution, has devolved into a maze of lies and hypocrisy. It’s clear to anyone that the work a city laborer does making munitions, tools, buildings and cars is just as important as the corn farmer who grows fat off of his work, but say that aloud and be disappeared by the all-powerful farmers’ unions. The farmers stay on top, precariously, by a sizable military force with a chokehold on the flow of food, the last useful thing the rural areas produce a lot of. Cities will often rise up in communist, capitalist or anarchist revolts, but those not crushed underfoot are simply starved out.

As collectivist good guys:
    As the industrial revolution showed city folk were not inherently less valuable, the physiocrats had to get creative with their solution, read some Romanticist literature and decided to move anyone who could out of the cities. Today, most people not on farms are concentrated in communes or townships, which are effectively small strips of heavy industrial equipment located close by to the resources they need. The reduced cities are generally only useful as ports and for government usage. With the reclassification of all people to “farmer-class”, everyone is equal under the law.

As individualist good guys:
    Aside from some bumps by the artificial price inflation of food, the Physiocratic country(s) is ticking along quite nicely. As the industrial revolution equalized the value of labor, “Farmer” started to sound like “worker”, and with the aristocracy long since overthrown, “worker” sounded like “literally everyone”.

Farmers’ unions are a cross between corporations and workers’ parties, with comprised of the employees of a certain number productive facilities, and represented in the government. Private property may be owned personally, but unions are managed democratically. A union may never seize private property unilaterally, and vice versa.

As neutrals:
    The Physiocrats reacted to the industrial revolution by ignoring as much of it as they could. Technologies that might equalize the value of labor were not allowed. The Physiocracy is rural, agrarian, and generally uninteresting except as a shizio-tech tourist attraction, though dissatisfaction with the stagnant government is mounting.

3. Threadmarks: Strasserism/National Bolshevism Preview - help

Preview: Next up - I continue to eat from the trashcan of ideology

Strasserism

220px-Black_Front_flag.svg.png
    Be afraid. Be very afraid.

What it is:
    A militantly anti-capitalist, quasi-Marxist variant of Nazism that called for left-wing nationalism, abandoning of Fürerprinzip for racially-segregated Workers' Democracies, the abandoning of monomaniacally genocidal policies and somewhat less ardent opposition to Jews on purely anti-capitalist grounds (because apparently Jews just horde up all the wealth or something).
    Strasserists believe no "true" race deserves extinction, but that aryans are the best and that all must be kept hygienically separate.

With minimal tweaking to account for modern geopolitical contexts, this can also be used to fit the more recent lolwhut third-positionist ideology of National Bolshevism:

180px-National_Bolshevik_Party.svg.png

God is dead and we have killed Him

4. Vuru Banned

Ah yes, the good ol' "jews magically eat all the mone"

When will people understand it's just minority mentality at work so they all help each other out constantly? It's similar to Armenians and other historically scattered or minority peoples

I mean seriously if everyone started copying them the world would be a better place

NAF, danteheadman, Bomster and 10 others like this.
  5. Concavenator Well-Known Member

I'm very interested in how you would make national bolsheviks individualist good guys...

6. PachPachis hates deconstructionists

Just copy/paste what I'm planning for the Strasserists, where the leftist and rightist wings are at each others throats, and the government based on compromise between them ends up being quite centrist.

7. tuxer I am not a Grammar Nazi, I am a Alt-Writer

Very interesting concept.

What other ideologies do you have in mind?

8. PachPachis hates deconstructionists

After Strasserism I'll do some of the more obscure variants of anarchism. After that, I haven't decided yet.

The Undead Martyr and tuxer like this.
  9. ElectricSheepNo54 Buttigieg 2020

Panarchism, Distributism, and Falangism are some interesting obscure ideologies. Adhocracy and Project Cybersyn are also interesting.

10. PachPachis hates deconstructionists

Adhocracy I have down, and thanks for reminding me of Synco and Panarchy. Falangism might be interesting but I don't know if it's "different" enough from Standard Reactionary Dictatorship.

Crying, Tangle, tuxer and 1 other person like this.
  11. ElectricSheepNo54 Buttigieg 2020

I suppose the "national syndicalism" in Falangism is quite interesting, but I guess as a whole you're right that is not much different from a Standard Reactionary Dictatorship. Anyways, I'm looking forward to future updates! Goodness knows how you're going to present Project Cybersyn as individualist good guys, though.

12. PachPachis hates deconstructionists

If I can pull off Strasserism, then I'll be able to do anything!

13. asnys Do Not Fear the Future

Good idea - I collect weird ideologies, so I'll be taking notes. :)

I did a ton of research on Technocracy, Inc. a while back for a TL project that never came to fruition (in part, because I needed them to be good, or at least not-awful, guys, and I concluded they never could be). I'd be happy to help anyone interested them with resources.

There were a number of different strands of Technocracy, but the best-known is Howard Scott's Technocracy, Inc. I think you're kind of underestimating how awful they were - they basically saw Brave New World as a utopia, not a dystopia. They were overtly totalitarian, in the original sense of the word: every aspect of human life was to be "scientifically" regulated. They also had a real boner for "energy economics", which basically meant backing the dollar with coal and oil - Hubbard, of Hubbard's Peak, was a technocrat at one point. They wanted to unite the North American continent into a single government - that was a very big part of their program. And, on at least one occasion, Howard Scott advocated genocide to make that happen.

In a lot of ways, they remind me of Lyndon LaRouche forty years early, except LaRouche is a lot smarter and cannier than Scott was. There's still a few fragments of the original organization lingering in odd corners of the net.

14. PachPachis hates deconstructionists

Yeah, they were pretty creepy, and I tried to make that apparent through their villainous portrayal. Obviously the good guy portrayals have made alterations, but revisionism for any ideology is hardly new. ;)

15. asnys Do Not Fear the Future

Incidentally, have you heard of "Christian Technocracy"? I think it can best be described as regular technocracy, plus the most dystopian parody of Christian theocratic fundamentalism you can imagine, plus Nazi-esque anti-Semitism. As far as I can tell, it consisted of precisely one guy.

16. PachPachis hates deconstructionists

I have not. If I can find his ramblings, I might revisit my technocracy chapter, if I can't, it doesn't sound like a big loss. :p

TimTurner and Crying like this.
  17. Threadmarks: Strasserism/National Bolshevism - why

-10.png
    Hey, do you guys rememeber how the Soviets rejected a sword being part of their emblem for looking too aggressive and brutal? No? Okay.

What it is:
    A militantly anti-capitalist, quasi-Marxist variant of Nazism that called for left-wing nationalism, abandoning of Fürerprinzip (fascist dictatorships at every level!) for racially-segregated Workers' Democracies, the abandoning of monomaniacally genocidal policies and somewhat less ardent opposition to Jews on purely anti-capitalist grounds (because apparently Jews just hoard up all the wealth or something).
    Strasserists believe no "true" race deserves extinction, but that aryans are the best and that all must be kept hygienically separate.

As villains:
    Literal CommuNazis. The Strasserist Reich combines the genocidal insanity of the Nazis with the command-economy incompetence of Stalinist Russia. Saying the word “horseshoe” in a non-literal context is a capital crime.
    The state certainly isn’t doing its dismal economy any favors by looting itself to provide for the “superior” aryans, though even then, the aryan living standard is low. Jews are discriminated against even more than the non-white races, who already live like blacks in Apartheid South Africa. Jews can’t have any positions of authority, assemble in public, construct or operate synagogues, or even open bank accounts for fear of them hoarding their nonexistent wealth somehow. Thought the Party points out this is still better than what the bourgeoisie Nazis has planned for them, for some reason this does little to comfort the Jews.
    Though no “purebred” races are exterminated, not even Jews, mixed-race people are hunted and murdered ruthlessly for violating the “hygienic” separation of the races. Albino blacks have to carry around special ID to prove they just have a condition and aren’t mulattos, though they still get lynched often.

(Note: when I use them as “good guys” I mean in the context that the Red Skull is a good guy when he fights a villain who wants to destroy all life. I wouldn’t use these entirely revisionist variants as good guys unless your villains are somehow a whole lot worse.)

As Collectivist “““good guys”””: The regime tries to enforce a doctrine of ‘seperate but equal.’ This is an abject failure, of course, but they are legitimately trying. While race-mixing is illegal, it is punished by fining the parents rather than killing the child. The economy and politics are run as an industrial democracy, and while ‘aryan’ unions are given constitutional advantages, non-white groups’ votes do count for something. A small something.

As individualist “““good guys”””: The Party long ago split into bickering left-wing and right-wing factions, and what laws do end up getting past are centrist compromises. Not the best system of government, but it could be worse.

As neutrals: The Party long ago split into bickering left-wing and right-wing factions, political violence is endemic, race riots regular, and the government is too disorganized to maintain a coherent foreign policy. Not fun.

With minimal tweaking to account for modern geopolitical contexts, this can also be used to fit the more recent lolwhut third-positionist ideology of National Bolshevism:

-11.png

Go, pennies! Help the puny children who need you!

18. FancyHat Well-Known Member

This might be a bit late, but Project Cybersyn isn't an ideology in and of itself; it's really more of a tool for systems like communism and technocracy (complete state control of economy and industry).

19. PachPachis hates deconstructionists

I know, but it's wacky and obscure so I'm still doing it.

20. asnys Do Not Fear the Future

A few suggestions, just in case you haven't seen them before: Yellowism; Anarcho-Primitivism; Anarcho-Fascism; Anti-Japaneseism and Anti-Deutsch; Posadism; Social Therapy; Mladorossi; Esoteric Fascism/Julius Evola; Italian Futurism; and Religion of Humanity/God-Building.