A Green And Pleasant Land

Chapter 6: Alphonso, Prince of Wales

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 6: Alphonso, Prince of Wales

October, 1284

Alphonso felt stronger than he had done in a great many months. Ever since the illness had come and gone, he’d noticed a change in himself. No longer was he content to do some studying and then leave to play, he wanted to know everything he could about everything. His mother had remarked on it to him a few days’ ago when he’d complained about having to leave the sparring yard for preparation for this. He understood why his father was making him do this, that didn’t mean he enjoyed it.

The Archbishop of Canterbury cleared his throat and the entire church fell silent. That his father had ordered a church built at Caernarvon did not surprise him, his father wanted to make it quite clear that he was indeed the master of Wales. “Alphonso, Earl of Chester and heir to the throne of His Majesty King Edward, do you understand why you have come here?”

“I do.” Alphonso said simply.

“And do you know what needs to be done?” The Archbishop asked.

“I do.” Alphonso said. Otherwise I wouldn’t be here you, moron. He thought to himself and then quickly chided himself for thinking such a thing of a man of God.

The Archbishop nodded. “Then let us begin.” The man clapped his hands and the Holy Book was brought out as was the staff that had allegedly belonged to St David, the Patron Saint of Wales. Alphonso still did not know how his father had found the thing. The Archbishop held out the Holy Book and Alphonso put his right hand on it and held his left hand up. “Do you, Alphonso, Earl of Chester and heir to the throne swear before God that you shall do everything in your power to uphold the laws of this land, to protect the people of this land from harm and to act as a fair and just representative, so help you God?”

“I, Alphonso, Earl of Chester and heir to the throne, do hereby swear to protect these people, uphold the laws of this land and to be a fair and just representative for them, with every inch of my being and power. With God as my witness I swear.” Alphonso replied.

The Holy Book was removed and the staff of St David was brought forward. Alphonso grasped it in both hands. The Archbishop spoke once more. “Do you swear before the Saints of God that you will remember Wales throughout all your decisions, that you will reside within this place for as long as you are able, and that you shall not forget nor bring disfavour onto Wales?”

Alphonso had never understood this part of the oath, he was heir to the throne, he’d need to spend time in London, but his father had insisted on this being included, so he said. “I, Alphonso do hereby swear before the Saints of God that I shall reside and remember Wales nor bring disfavour upon so long as I shall live.”

Alphonso handed the staff back to the attendant. The Archbishop then took the holy water and sprayed some of the droplets on his head and shoulders and then dabbed his forehead with it. “With the power invested in me, from the Holy See and the Holy Father and the Holy God, I do hereby declare you Wales one true Prince. Arise, Alphonso, Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester.”

Alphonso rose slowly, bowed his head before the Archbishop and then turned and bowed to the assembled nobles. He knew what he needed to do next, he walked to where his father and mother were stood, he knelt before them and said. “Your Majesties, please accept my humble oath of allegiance and obeisance as Prince of Wales, I recognise your authority.”

His father spoke in a deep voice. “Your oath is recognised, arise, my Prince and our son.”

Alphonso rose, and then was embraced by his father and mother, to the cheers of those gathered in the church. They then walked out of the church as a family, where they were greeted by the nurse who held Alphonso’s younger brother Edward. When they were out of the church, Alphonso asked. “When do we leave for London?”

“On the morrow, and your bride shall be coming in a week after that.” His father answered.

Last edited:
Chapter 7: A Portuguese Woman In Scotland

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 7: A Portuguese Woman In Scotland

January, 1285

Sancha stretched, her stomach was huge now, perhaps three months away from giving birth, and she was both excited and terrified. Her husband had surprisingly not taken a mistress during her pregnancy, and that was something she had found both relieving and odd, she knew her father had taken mistresses when her mother had been heavy with child, but it seemed her husband was a different man.

He was different in another way as well, she knew a man like her brother, the great King Denis would’ve laughed at her for wanting to learn the language that her future subjects spoke, but not her husband, he listened to her request and taught her. Her Scots was improving almost daily, but her Gaelic left much to be desired. She tried speaking in Scots now, whilst it was just the two of them. “I heard that Lord Comyn had an argument with Lord Bruce the other day, do you know what it was about?” Lord Comyn’s wife was one of her ladies in waiting, she was a nice lady but a bit distant and someone Sancha struggled to understand because of how thick her accent was.

“Yes, it was to do with some position in my father’s court.” Alexander replied. Sancha did not know what her husband made of the Comyns and Bruces, he always seemed quite so disinterested when speaking about them, whereas he was full of life speaking about someone such as the Steward or Durward. That confused her given how powerful the two families were.

“What position?” She asked, sounding out the words slowly, they still felt so awkward to her.

“Something to with the household guard. Comyn believes that his man has the right to stand in the guard, whilst Bruce argues his man is better.” Alexander said. “My father solved the problem by appointing both men to positions.”

“Is that the right thing to do?” Sancha asked. “From what I have….” She pondered the right word to use, and then said. “From what I have seen neither will be happy unless they have beaten the other.” She had seen such a thing in Portugal where the Lord of Lusa and the Count of Barcelos competed heavily with one another for her brother’s favour.

“It is the only way to ensure that neither side has reason to turn against the King.” Alexander replied.

“I do not understand?” Sancha replied in French.

Alexander smiled and replied in kind. “Scotland is built on the ties of the lords and their oaths of fealty to the King. However, many of the lords who you see before you at court came to Scotland with my ancestor King David. In return for their lands and services, they offered him fealty, and for a time that worked, but then as always happens in this damned Kingdom, the lords got powerful. And though my father is not weak, he knows that he cannot destroy the nobles, not yet at least. Therefore, he gives them roles at court and buys them off. It is not an ideal thing to do, but it is the way to stay on top of things.”

“And in dealing with people like Comyn and Bruce whose rivalry threatens the Kingdom?” Sancha asked, she was not blind she had done her searches on these families after coming to the Kingdom. “Is it not better to stamp them down?”

“You see, my father would, but they both control important Earldoms in the Kingdom. Badenoch and Lochaber belong to Comyn and control the North Western portion of this Kingdom, whilst another branch controls Buchan ensuring stability in a region that once sided with our enemies. Bruce controls the South West, a region which once rebelled and sided with rivals to the throne. Therefore, we must keep them happy and appeased. Positions at court and in battle do wonders for that.” Alexander replied though he did not seem pleased.

Sancha mentioned this. “You do not like it?”

“Of course I don’t, I think it is ridiculous. We are not England, we do not have some document drafted by up themselves Barons, we are Scotland. Our King should not need to worry about upsetting lords and facing rebellion every time he needs to make an important decision. He should be able to make a decision and have the lords accept it.” Alexander said.

“Then perhaps we should find a way to undermine their power.” Sancha said.

“How?” Alexander asked.

“Well, the more children we have, the more brides and grooms we will need to find for them, the nobles of Scotland will surely not balk at a chance to marry into the family. We can then use our children’s marriages to establish a group of nobles around us who support our intentions who are tired of this impasse between Bruce and Comyn and strengthen royal authority that way.” Sancha suggested.

Her husband looked thoughtful, and in that moment Sancha felt a flaring of desire for him, but she pushed it down, she needed to work with him now, not make love to him. Eventually her husband said. “It might just work, but to whom would we marry our children to?”

“Well, doesn’t Lord Edward have a daughter?” Sancha suggested.

“He does, and having a son married to that daughter would mean we have a Prince in Galloway able to keep an eye on the Bruces.” Alexander said.

“And it does also mean that the Balliols would stick with us, because of such a marriage and the prestige it would bring, alongside the Comyns perhaps?” Sancha said in agreement.

“Perhaps, though we would need to do this carefully. Any hint of it being overt and the nobles will not be happy.” Alexander said.

“What of your friend, William?” Sancha asked. She found the Earl of Ross a complete contrast to her husband, where Alexander was quiet and thoughtful, William was loud, brash and bold.

“I think he would agree to this as well. He has a son on the way.” Alexander said.

“Another chance there then.” Sancha said.

Her husband surprised her then when he leaned in and kissed her full on the mouth. When he pulled away he blushed and said. “You are brilliant, you know.”

Last edited:
Chapter 8: My Kingdom For A Horse

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 8: My Kingdom For A Horse

April, 1285

It was damned hot in Bayonne. How anyone got any work done here, Peter did not know. Alas, he had agreed to this fight, and so he would not concede it just because he was already sweating in his armour. The terms were simple, the first man to surrender between himself and Charles of Anjou would give up their claim to Sicily. It had been suggested by Charles, and after someone had whispered in His Holiness’ ear that it was a good thing to go through with, it had been sanctioned. Bayonne in Gascony was chosen as the location with King Edward of England as the judge.

Peter rolled his shoulders. Looked at his men, there were one hundred of them and one hundred men with Anjou. It would be a bloody fight, but it would be worthwhile to finally end this damned war. Of course the French King was present as well. The man had been about to invade Aragon when the Pope had told him to stop. Peter mounted his horse and said a quick prayer. A Bishop came forward and spoke before them all in Latin. “To remind you both, the first person to surrender will renounce their claim to Sicily, this is what needs to happen. No deaths, no serious injuries, just surrender. Do you both agree.”

“Yes.” Peter said at once.

“Yes.” Anjou replied.

“Then begin.” The Bishop said clapping his hands and moving away.

Peter said another prayer, and then spurred his horse forward, his weapon of choice was a hammer, and it felt somewhat heavy in his hands as he moved. Some knight bearing the Capetian flower came forward to attack him and he swung his hammer hard. The man was knocked off his horse. Peter kept moving. Another man came and swung at him, Peter blocked the blow and fought off the man, using the weight of his hammer to push the man’s weapon out of his hands. He moved on. He risked a glance around the field. His men were doing better than Anjou’s, there were more of them up on their horses, but he could not see Anjou anywhere. Had the man fled?

He doubted it, but still that was slightly unnerving. Anjou was a dangerous fighter, he’d proven that over the past few years, and so his disappearance was something Peter would need to be careful of. He was brought back to the present when someone swung at him. A sword came and he just managed to block the blow on the edge of his hammer. He fought the man with intensity then. A swing, then a block, followed by another swing. Peter could feel his arms working overtime to keep everything balanced. He soon found a weak spot, just behind the man’s right hand, he swung hard, and saw the man’s hand dent and his sword drop.

Peter moved on. The crowd were roaring, he wondered briefly if there were more Frenchmen or Gascons in the crowd, and whether or not King Edward would meet the requirements of their marriage arrangement should he win. He hoped he would, otherwise this entire thing would just be completely embarrassing. He scanned the ground, looking for his enemy, and found him, galloping right toward him. Peter spurred his horse on to meet him, and their weapons met in a blaze of sparks. Peter grunted under the intensity of the fighting. They pulled away and then came back in a blaze.

Anjou pushed hard, and Peter had to call on every inch of his strength to keep the other man from beating him. They broke apart only to re-join seconds later. Peter this time had the advantage, he pushed hard and heard a crack as something in Anjou broke or dented. He was not sure but he was not going to stop. He kept pushing until Anjou stopped resisting. He expected to hear a call for surrender, but Anjou had leaned back and Peter had followed him, at the last moment he realised what was about to happen and he hurriedly tried to move back and out of the way but couldn’t, and so he got hit on the tip of his helmet.

The blow made his head shake slightly, but after a moment he managed to right himself. He struck back hard, his hammer hitting Anjou several times as the other man struggled to fight back. When Anjou did eventually fight back, Peter was rocked with several blows to the head and the chest. He knew he was going to feel this on the morrow, if he did indeed make it through to the morrow. Something inside him was aching and crying out for relief. But he would not surrender. He had come far too far to surrender now.

Anjou was on the attack once more, the man clearly sensed a chance. That was a good thing for Peter, for it meant that Anjou was worried and he would eventually make a mistake. Therefore, Peter allowed himself to take a few blows, here and there, they twisted through him and made his teeth rattle, but it would be worth it in the end. Especially now that he could see Anjou was tiring out. After the last swing missed him by a fraction, Peter decided now was the time to attack.

He leaned forward and swung, and he did not stop swinging. He hit Anjou’s right arm, he hit Anjou’s left arm, he hit Anjou on the head, he hit Anjou on the side and on the chest. He didn’t stop. Anjou was clearly too tired to stop the blows coming and seemed increasingly as if he was going to surrender. Peter knew he needed to knock the weapon out of Anjou’s hands if there was to be an end to this. And when he saw his opening he took it.

Anjou’s grip was slipping, Peter ducked and weaved and then swung as hard as he could at the man’s hands. One blow loosened the grip Anjou had over his weapon, another blow saw the weapon fall to the ground. Peter looked at Anjou and Anjou looked at him. Slowly, Anjou raised his hands up in the air and said. “I surrender.” Peter looked at him and Anjou moved to lift his helmet off his head, which he did with shaking fingers. “I surrender.” He said louder.

King Edward stood up and said. “We have our winner, by the grace of the Holy Father, I declare King Peter the King of Sicily.”

This will undoubtedly go down as one of the most fascinating events to have ever taken place in medieval history. The absolute height of chivalry.

I thought from earlier posts you were going to have a single combat between the two, but you had a lot more men involved. Inspired by the Battle of the Thirty (sometimes called the Combat of the Thirty) maybe?
Apparently that was considered one of the finest examples of chivalry ever displayed*.

* I tend to think that the
Tournament of St. Inglevert, which saw three French knights defeat all comers over a thirty-day period, is even more impressive, but that sort of challenge wouldn't have fit the requirements for this contest for Sicily.

VVD0D95

Banned
I thought from earlier posts you were going to have a single combat between the two, but you had a lot more men involved. Inspired by the Battle of the Thirty (sometimes called the Combat of the Thirty) maybe?
Apparently that was considered one of the finest examples of chivalry ever displayed*.

* I tend to think that the
Tournament of St. Inglevert, which saw three French knights defeat all comers over a thirty-day period, is even more impressive, but that sort of challenge wouldn't have fit the requirements for this contest for Sicily.

It was indeed, alongside the mention that initially Charles and Peter had hundred knights each with them preparing to fight, before the Pope called it off.

Chapter 9: France's Consternation

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 9: France’s Consternation

July, 1285

He was Philip, King of France, the third Philip to hold the most powerful crown in all of Christendom, and yet he still felt like a boy. He was not meant for this. His brother was supposed to have taken the throne, but instead he had. He only knew how to fight and how to fuck, he didn’t quite understand the bigger things that were thrown at him for being King. His son Louis had perhaps shown some intelligence, which had been snuffed out, but his remaining sons also showed intelligence, and he placed his hopes on them. Even if his heir and namesake increasingly frustrated him.

Philip cleared his throat. “With Aragon now in control of Sicily, what does this mean for us?”

Raoul Clermont, Constable of France and his main advisor on foreign affairs spoke. “Sire, what it means is that we have lost a valuable ally in Italy, and someone who could help us apply pressure on the Holy See. With Peter now ruling in Sicily, we must now accept that some of our influence will wane. King Charles will not hold the same power as he once did, even though he remains King of Naples.”

“And His Holiness has shown no willingness to reverse the removal of the Papal ban.” Philip’s son and heir Philip said. “Which has allowed England and Aragon to consummate their alliance with the marriage of King Edward’s daughter to that insipid fool Alfonso.”

Philip looked at his son and wondered where the sweet little boy he had once known had gone. “Very well. What can we do to ensure we do not lose out in this new arrangement?”

Raoul spoke then. “We can look to tie England closer to us as well. His Holiness did propose a marriage between Prince Charles, Count of Valois and King Edward’s daughter Joan. I believe such a marriage would be most welcome.”

“In return for what?” Philip the heir asked. “Gascony? King Edward will never give that up, his lords would revolt.”

“In return for peace between our two Kingdoms.” King Philip said looking at his son and willing him to be silent.

“Pah,” Philip the heir said. “Such a thing will never happen. Not until we have Gascony completely in our grasp.”

Philip sighed. “We cannot engage in war, but I shall not accept a lesser dowry for the girl. Something has to be given.”

At this his Lord Chancellor Pierre Chalon spoke. “Perhaps an offer of trading concessions, the removal of barriers? It would make things much easier for both Kingdoms. England’s exports into France cost them more than 2% of what they make. Remove the barriers and they will break even, and we shall achieve the same.”

Philip was not financially smart, but he understood what removing trade barriers could achieve. “Perhaps that would be something we could do.” He mused.

“The wine merchants will not like that.” His son pointed out. “They make a fortune from the protection offered by the barriers on English wine. Remove that and we shall be facing trouble.”

Philip sighed. “Yes, but there is nothing else that can be offered that would sate both our Kingdoms needs.”

His heir looked as though he’d grown a second head. “Then you will condemn our merchants to oblivion.”

“In the short term, My Prince.” Chalon said. “In the long term they would experience untold rewards and benefits from freer access.”

His heir snorted. “Perhaps, but people do not think in the long term. They will want answers today.”

Philip was growing tired of his heir’s constant downwards words. “Send a letter to King Edward offering this arrangement.”

“Yes Sire.” Chalon responded.

Before his son could protest, Philip rose, forcing his advisors to do the same. “That is all for today, thank you.” With that he moved away from the table and walked out of the room, he needed the welcoming embrace of his wife, and the relaxations that came with the summer.

House of Aragon family tree

VVD0D95

Banned
Eleanor of England family tree.jpg

VVD0D95

Banned
I do have a question for you all, with Aragon and France now at peace and the Papacy reluctantly happy with this arrangement, what are the chances of a crusade happening to prevent the fall of Acre?

I do have a question for you all, with Aragon and France now at peace and the Papacy reluctantly happy with this arrangement, what are the chances of a crusade happening to prevent the fall of Acre?
I don't think it would be very likely at this point. Despite there being peace, there is still tension among a lot of these kings and in OTL, the only one of them who was willing to commit to a crusade and who in the latter half of the 1280s was making tentative preparations was Edward, but he got sidetracked by Philip IV's OTL actions against Gascony, and once he was done there, the Scottish succession problem.

However, there is certainly a lot more stability right now, so if a new crusade were to be launched, this might be the best moment. King Philip of Navarre, (OTL's Philip IV of France and son of the current Philip) is the wild card however and he cannot be trusted, especially when he succeeds his father to the French throne.

If there were to be a crusade launched, it's likely being led by Edward and with the marriages you have already made in TTL, I could see him being accompanied by Prince Alexander of Scotland and Charles of Valois, who will be Edward's son-in-law.

VVD0D95

Banned
I don't think it would be very likely at this point. Despite there being peace, there is still tension among a lot of these kings and in OTL, the only one of them who was willing to commit to a crusade and who in the latter half of the 1280s was making tentative preparations was Edward, but he got sidetracked by Philip IV's OTL actions against Gascony, and once he was done there, the Scottish succession problem.

However, there is certainly a lot more stability right now, so if a new crusade were to be launched, this might be the best moment. King Philip of Navarre, (OTL's Philip IV of France and son of the current Philip) is the wild card however and he cannot be trusted, especially when he succeeds his father to the French throne.

If there were to be a crusade launched, it's likely being led by Edward and with the marriages you have already made in TTL, I could see him being accompanied by Prince Alexander of Scotland and Charles of Valois, who will be Edward's son-in-law.

Hmm alright true, do you think Phil III would join as well, given he seems to have been more a warrior than a diplomat?

Hmm alright true, do you think Phil III would join as well, given he seems to have been more a warrior than a diplomat?
Maybe, so long as it's his son Charles instead of Philip being named regent. Charles would be more likely to safeguard Edward's French possessions than Philip would, though considering that the last time Philip III went on crusade, his father and wife died to and from campaign.

As an alternative to a crusade to the Holy Land, where it would be difficult to to obtain the resources and manpower to embark on that, perhaps they could all resolve to finish business in the Iberian Peninsula and finally conquer Granada, where Aragonese and Castillian aid would be certain. They could even go and launch into North Africa.

VVD0D95

Banned
Maybe, so long as it's his son Charles instead of Philip being named regent. Charles would be more likely to safeguard Edward's French possessions than Philip would, though considering that the last time Philip III went on crusade, his father and wife died to and from campaign.

As an alternative to a crusade to the Holy Land, where it would be difficult to to obtain the resources and manpower to embark on that, perhaps they could all resolve to finish business in the Iberian Peninsula and finally conquer Granada, where Aragonese and Castillian aid would be certain. They could even go and launch into North Africa.

Oh I like that thought, I can see Edward being realistic and suggesting it and Peter and Sancho could then latch onto it as both had had ideas of a Reconquista in the past. And perhaps from there they could then turn to Egypt?

Oh I like that thought, I can see Edward being realistic and suggesting it and Peter and Sancho could then latch onto it as both had had ideas of a Reconquista in the past. And perhaps from there they could then turn to Egypt?
Egypt is probably still beyond their reach yet, but now that Peter has Sicily, it may be easier for them to campaign between Morocco and Tunisia. There will still be a lot of hinterland occupied by more fundamentalist Muslim leaders, but if they can take and control Morocco and Tunis, that would be a huge success. It would be the beginning of a long term strategy to take back the Western Mediterranean in its entirety for Christendom, and a good way to send some of the spare heirs some of the Mediterranean powers have to gain demesnes of their own, including someone like Charles of Valois.

VVD0D95

Banned
Egypt is probably still beyond their reach yet, but now that Peter has Sicily, it may be easier for them to campaign between Morocco and Tunisia. There will still be a lot of hinterland occupied by more fundamentalist Muslim leaders, but if they can take and control Morocco and Tunis, that would be a huge success. It would be the beginning of a long term strategy to take back the Western Mediterranean in its entirety for Christendom, and a good way to send some of the spare heirs some of the Mediterranean powers have to gain demesnes of their own, including someone like Charles of Valois.

Hmm interesting, all of Morocco and Tunisia or just the coasts do you think?