A Green And Pleasant Land

VVD0D95

Banned
That was a bit of a dumb luck strike for Alphonso; if luck in businness and games (war included) was inversly proportional to luck in love, as they said, I would be worried about who is or who would be Alphonso's children father.:) Poor Tyrconnel hehad won fair and square. Long Live the King of Ireland!
Lol

Chapter 84: Peace At Last

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 84: Peace At Last

February, 1303

Aonghas, Lord of Islay scratched the skin above his empty eye socket and looked at the man before him. King Alexander of Scotland was a tall man, with blonde hair, and a blonde beard, he looked like he could have come from the islands to the north of here. Aonghas knew that the terms he would be forced to agree to would no doubt humiliate him, but he had no energy left to fight. His brothers had died, as had their sons. He had lost an eye for all of this, and he did not know if it had been worthwhile.

As the silence continued, Aonghas knew he had to speak before he snapped. “I rebelled to protect the laws of the Isles and to ensure that the Crown did not forget that. I am no traitor.”

There was a smattering of laughter from the other side of the table. The King’s face remained impassive. “By its very nature, rebelling is treason.” John Comyn, Lord of Badenoch and the King’s closest advisor said.

“Not if you are rebelling against an overmighty hand.” Aonghas snapped back.

“An overmighty hand would have destroyed the isles the moment the rebellion began, His Majesty did not do that.” Comyn responded.

Aonghas was about to reply to point out the number of lives lost during this conflict, but before he could, the King spoke. “What is done, is done. Now we must put the realm back together.”

There was an authority to the King’s voice that Aonghas had noticed before, during the battles they had fought, it seemed the man commanded absolute respect. “Very well.”

“What terms are you willing to agree to?” The King asked. Aonghas was surprised by this, he had thought the King would impose the terms on him, not offer him a chance.

Aonghas knew exactly what he wanted. “A recognition of the ancient rights and privileges of the Isles as granted to us by King Alexander II, and the repealing of the laws and strictures imposed since Your Majesty’s coronation.”

“Your rights were never taken away. The strictures however can be removed.” The King said.

“And the laws? They are in violation of the charters that Your Majesty’s father and grandfather granted us.” Aonghas pointed out.

The King smiled. “Those charters have been updated.”

Aonghas wanted to snap with frustration, but he knew the man spoke truly. By agreeing to this meeting Aonghas had inadvertently weakened his own position. “Fine. The charters are updated, what else?”

“Your son and heir John, and your daughter must return with us to Stirling, where your son shall be fostered and your daughter shall serve as a lady in waiting to the Queen.” The King said.

Aonghas wanted to deny this request. He wanted to say that the King had gone too far, but a small voice in the back of his head whispered to him that there was opportunity to be had here. A chance for his daughter to become Queen if she met the King’s own heir at court. And so, he said. “Very well, I agree.”

The King clapped his hands and two pages brought forward two sheets of paper. “The treaty for us to sign and end this business once and for all.” The King said.

Aonghas looked at the man and sighed, he took a quill offered to him by one of the pages, dipped it into the ink pot and then signed the document. Once he was done the King signed the document and then smiled. “Now we move forward.”

Chapter 85: Brotherly Squabbles

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 85: Brotherly Squabbles

May, 1303

Charles took a sip of wine and fixed his brother, King Philippe, with a firm look. A look he hoped conveyed just how annoyed he was by his brother’s continued avoidance of him. Ever since the man had returned from Bordeaux, the King had busied himself with other activities, and had not even stopped to discuss anything with Charles. He was sick and tired of it. His brother eventually turned to look at him.

“Are you quite alright, Charles? You look as though you might burst.” The King said.

“I am not okay.” Charles replied. “I want to know why you have been avoiding me.”

The King laughed. “Avoiding you? Dearest brother, I have done nothing of the sort.”

“But you have.” Charles retorted. “You don’t include me in council meetings, you don’t talk to me at meal times, you don’t talk to me during the hunt. You are avoiding me. Why?”

“I am a King, brother. I cannot simply give up everything I am doing to reassure you against your insecurities. Something you’d know if you spent less time galivanting around and actually ruling the lands the Emperor has given you.” Philippe replied.

Charles could sense his brother was about to give him the real explanation, so he just had to push ever so slightly. “I came to help you deal with the English. You know that.”

“And you have remained here long past the date when the matter with the English was resolved. That is your own fault, not mine.” The King replied.

“So, I am free to leave?” Charles asked.

“Why would you not be free to leave? I have not ordered you to stay.” The King said.

Charles felt his patience disappear then. “Philippe, enough! Enough of this foolish game. If I have done something wrong, please just tell me!”

His brother’s face turned from a grin into a cold snarl. “You know exactly what you did. You negotiated a treaty with the English that has humiliated me, has humiliated our family and more importantly has humiliated France.”

Charles looked at his brother and asked. “What was I supposed to do? Simply let them keep you a prisoner? That would have humiliated France even more.”

“Rather that than agree to their demands.” Philippe replied.

“So, what do you want from me? An apology? I won’t apologise, brother, we both know I did the right thing.” Charles snapped.

“I want you to leave.” Philippe replied.

“Leave?” Charles exclaimed.

“Yes. I want you to leave and never come back.” Philippe said. “If you so much as step foot in France whilst I am alive, I will have you arrested for treason. You can keep your estates, but you can’t visit them again.”

Charles looked at his brother, trying to decide if he could protest this or not, eventually he decided it wasn’t worth the hassle and simply nodded. “Fine. I shall leave today.” With that he rose, bowed to his brother, straightened, then turned and walked out of the room, his heart hammering.

Phillip IV is one of my most unfavourite persons in history, together with Edward VII Tudor, and Charles I of Anjou; (Not hated, unfavourite, people I reckon as being able and sound, but I dislike on a personal and moral ground) but so is Edward I so I will happier to see Charles trash him once he will be emperor.

VVD0D95

Banned
Phillip IV is one of my most unfavourite persons in history, together with Edward VII Tudor, and Charles I of Anjou; (Not hated, unfavourite, people I reckon as being able and sound, but I dislike on a personal and moral ground) but so is Edward I so I will happier to see Charles trash him once he will be emperor.

You mean Edward VI right? And interesting why is that?

Chapter 86: Cairo

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 86: Cairo

August, 1303

“For seven years we have waged war against the Mamluk. For seven years, we have reduced every ounce of their resistance to dust. Today, we have only one object standing between us and our reconquest of home. Cairo.” Cyril said pointing to the towering city walls in the distance. The sun beat down on him and his men and he took a breath. “We all know what happens if we succeed, we all know what happens if we fail. We hold Alexandria, we hold Luxor and Aswan, we hold the cities that made our Kingdom great before they came. Now we must make the final leap and take this city.”

“A siege would take far too long.” Joseph pointed out. “Not only do we not have the right equipment for it, but I have heard that the Mamluk Sultan sent someone out to get aid from the Arab lands.”

“You did not think to stop him?” Cyrus, one of Cyril’s cousins asked.

“He snuck through the patrols.” Joseph replied defensively.

“How many men do you think that man could realistically bring back with him?” Cyril asked, determined to avoid another argument.

“I do not know. It would not be more than two hundred. The Arabs are not strong anymore. They are losing ground to the Mongols.” Joseph said.

“Then it is of no matter.” Cyril said dismissively. “You are right though, Joseph, we cannot lay siege to Cairo.” Despite the way their campaign had developed, they still didn’t have enough machinery to bring about a proper and successful siege. Instead they had depended on hit and run and the loyalty of the citizens within places like Alexandria.

“So, what are we going to do?” Joseph asked.

Cyril looked at Alexander then, who spoke. “We’ve got people on the inside who have found a way to bring small sections of our army into the city, from which we could then open the gates and allow the rest in.”

“How secure do you think this plan is?” Joseph asked.

“As secure as anything else we’ve tried.” Alexander said.

“I still think we should just try and sack Cairo. It is a Muslim city, not one that is anything of value to us.” Cyrus grumbled.

Cyril looked at his cousin and snapped. “If we had done that then we would be no better than the Muslims.” He still remembered the bodies they’d found in the villages on the way from Luxor. The bodies of women and children tied to trees with their entrails hanging out of them.

“So, who is to lead this attempt into the city, and when are we going in?” Cyrus asked.

Cyril looked at his cousin and then at his advisors and said. “I will lead it.”

“But Sire!” Alexander protested.

“I am the Pharaoh; I am not going to ask my men to do something that I am not willing to do myself. I shall lead the attempt myself. And will open the gates.” Cyril said. He looked at Alexander and asked. “You have told your sources what time we are going to make this attempt?”

“Yes, Sire. When the sun begins to dip.” Alexander replied.

“Good. We should all get some rest. We will need all the energy we have.” Cyril said, rising, and nodding to his men before walking back to his tent. Tonight, would be the most important night of his life.

This should be interesting if they manage to seize Egypt from the Mamluks. Perhaps they try and make an alliance with their co-religionists in Ethiopia next.

Chapter 87: A Lasting Peace

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 87: A Lasting Peace

December, 1303

“With Egypt having fallen to this Cyril, there is a room for opportunity here, Your Imperial Majesty.” Charles, King of the Romans and Count of Valois said.

Albert, Holy Roman Emperor looked at the man and said. “What sort of opportunity?”

“The chance to reclaim the Holy Land. The Muslims have been pushed out of Egypt and are now facing an enemy on both sides in what remains to them. We could use this to our advantage.” Charles said.

Albert took a deep breath and then replied. “What you say is true, Charles, but there remains one issue.”

“His Holiness.” Charles said simply.

“Exactly. His Holiness has shown no interest in remaining within the spiritual, and his constant meddling in temporal affairs has not only affected us, but also your brother, King Philippe. So, you will forgive me if I do not think it is likely such a thing could happen.” Albert said.

The King of the Romans was not dissuaded though. “I disagree, Sire. I think that with the fall of Egypt to Christian forces, His Holiness would be a foolish man to be dissuaded from the chance of a renewed presence within the Holy Land.”

“And how would you propose we sway him towards our goal?” Albert asked.

“Allow me to go to Rome, Sire. Allow me to speak with His Holiness, I am sure that I can convince him to see our point of view.” Charles replied.

Albert considered this. “Well, you were successful in getting the Badens and the Palatinate to avoid joining this league your brother was considering forming. And you have ensured Carinthia doesn’t try anything foolish.” Albert deliberately paused then, wanting to see how Valois would respond, as expected he spoke.

“Exactly, Sire. Which is why I think I should be able to convince His Holiness to the needs of this crusade.”

Albert looked at the man, Charles was someone he liked, he knew the man would be his successor, at the same time the ability the man had to charm others was somewhat concerning. Still, if Charles was in Rome, Albert would have the time to sort out affairs for his own children. With that decided he said. “Very well, you may go. We shall have a letter written for you to explain your purpose.”

Charles bowed. “Thank you, Sire. I will ensure His Holiness sees sense.”

It would be poetic if Joan were to accompany Charles back to the Holy Land, especially if they manage to retake Acre. This would also be a very good opportunity for Prince Edward to test his mettle, though I can imagine his parents wanting to get back into the saddle one more time. Do you suppose Scotland may want to send their own contingent too?