A Green And Pleasant Land

VVD0D95

Banned
Hey, one thing I just thought of right now.... what's happening in Castile? There is a lot of upheaval that happened in the 1280s and 1290s following the death of Alfonso X, what with Sancho IV seizing the throne from Alfonso de la Cerda, the oldest son of old King Alfonso's oldest son Fernando. And by 1291, Infante Enrique of Castile would have been released from imprisonment in southern Italy. He was one of Eleanor's half brothers who had rebelled some time ago and with whom she remained in contact with and had petitioned for his release to Charles I of Naples.

There are potential shenanigans abound for Castile, as Infante Enrique, the de la Cerda brothers, and Infante Juan of Castile (another son of Alfonso X) were all looking at possibly gaining the throne for themselves with the likelihood of a child king coming to the throne.

Castile will definitely be featuring soon.

As @John7755 يوحنا has pointed out elsewhere, most Christians under Islamic rule were not armed. In the case of Egypt the military class is the Mamluks, a class of mostly-Caucasian (the mountainous area) slaves trained as soldiers and then freed after a set period of service. Additionally by this time there probably aren't enough Copts to make a coherent state. Even a crusader kingdom in Egypt is very unlikely since the Mamluks had defeated the Mongols and made themselves the utter masters of Syria as well as Egypt. The only advantage it has is that western European feudal retinues are themselves a warrior class.

VVD0D95

Banned
As @John7755 يوحنا has pointed out elsewhere, most Christians under Islamic rule were not armed. In the case of Egypt the military class is the Mamluks, a class of mostly-Caucasian (the mountainous area) slaves trained as soldiers and then freed after a set period of service. Additionally by this time there probably aren't enough Copts to make a coherent state. Even a crusader kingdom in Egypt is very unlikely since the Mamluks had defeated the Mongols and made themselves the utter masters of Syria as well as Egypt. The only advantage it has is that western European feudal retinues are themselves a warrior class.
Hmm alright :)

Chapter 34: A Papal Scheme

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 34: A Papal Scheme

April, 1293

Celestine wiped his brow. It was damnably hot in Calabria, and with King Charles unlikely to give orders for him to return to Rome, Celestine felt as though he was trapped. He wiped at his brow, and looked at his advisor, Louis, a man who had come from Toulouse to serve him when he had been much younger and who he now suspected was a spy for the Angevin King.

“What news?” He asked.

Louis took out a big roll of paper and spoke. “In Hungary the fighting continues. His Majesty King Charles holds northern Hungary alongside the eastern areas. However, Croatia and Southern Hungary remain under the control of the usurper Bela, Duke of Slavonia.”

“And what of this man’s support?” Celestine asked, Bela of Hungary was a distant relation to the last King who had been assassinated, and had suddenly declared himself ruler of the most Holy Kingdom. Celestine’s predecessor had been clear, to allow Bela to succeed would damn Hungary and lose the church its power there. Celestine continued the war, reluctantly.

“He retains the support of the powerful Ákos, Rátót and Csák families despite the threat of excommunication against them all. He also maintains support of plenty of Croat and Cuman nobles.” Louis said.

“And what of King Charles?” Celestine asked, thinking he was already regretting this notion.

“Ivan Koszegi remains his staunchest ally and thus continues to influence proceedings in the western part of the Kingdom.” Louis responded.

Celestine sighed. “I do not understand why they continue to support someone who isn’t in line to the throne directly. Indeed, Queen Mary is the direct heir.” He didn’t understand these Hungarians and their strange ways. He barely understood the politics of Rome.

“Your Holiness, they are all ambitious and greedy. They do not understand basic mannerisms.” Louis said.

“It is that bad?” Celestine gasped horrified. He had thought such things were common knowledge, if they weren’t then perhaps more needed to be done.

“Your Holiness is right to be horrified. Hungary must be won by King Charles, otherwise the Cumans will take complete control.” Louis said.

Celestine looked at Louis and asked. “What do you suggest?”

“Write to King Charles, advise him that the best way to win over more support is to do what Bela is unwilling to do. Marry his son and heir to a local lady and ensure she has enough support amongst the nobility to not be challenge.” Louis said.

“You think that will be enough?” Celestine asked.

“Yes, I think so. Charles was invited to take the throne by many of the men who now support Bela, if he has local support through that marriage they will not stand against him.” Louis said.

“Very well.” Celestine said. “I shall ensure that that letter is written.” He paused and then picked up another paper. “What about this letter from the Prince Electors?”

“Your Holiness, my advise would be to support the Count of Valois in the election. Adolf of Nassau is someone who seeks only his own advancement.” Louis said.

“He is married with connections to England is he not?” Celestine asked.

“He is, Your Holiness.” Louis said.

“Then Charles, Count of Valois it shall be.” Celestine said simply.

Louis picked up another piece of paper and said. “There is one more thing that must be decided,. Your Holiness.”

“What is that?” Celestine asked, he despised all this politicking and preferred prayer and contemplation.

“The issue of Castile. King Sancho remains in illegal union with that mistress of his. He denies his nephew Alfonso de la Cerda the right to sit on the throne, and he ignores calls for the purging of Muslims from the south.” Louis said.

“I need not ponder this.” Celestine said. “This Papacy shall not support Sancho.”

“Very well, Sire.” Louis said. “What do you wish for me to instruct the Papal legate there to do?”

“Withdraw.” Celestine said. “Tell him to go to Aragon and declare a crusade against Sancho.”

Whoa, dropping the C-Bomb on Castile? San Fernando must be turning in his grave for Castile to have fallen to these lows. Well, this is a massive spanner in the works, to say the least.

VVD0D95

Banned
Whoa, dropping the C-Bomb on Castile? San Fernando must be turning in his grave for Castile to have fallen to these lows. Well, this is a massive spanner in the works, to say the least.

Oh aye, it's going to be a big one. Celestine's just been played

As Sancho was already betrothed
Ah ok; this was to a rich Catalan heiress (Guillerma Moncada), who he had been betrothed to as an infant, right? This still seems - even by medieval standards - pretty legalistic reasons to go against a king like that; if the Pope wanted, he could offer dispensation for both breaking the engagement and the marriage, in exchange for something or other.

Is this more to do with the fact that Sancho had technically usurped the throne from his nephews?

VVD0D95

Banned
Ah ok; this was to a rich Catalan heiress (Guillerma Moncada), who he had been betrothed to as an infant, right? This still seems - even by medieval standards - pretty legalistic reasons to go against a king like that; if the Pope wanted, he could offer dispensation for both breaking the engagement and the marriage, in exchange for something or other.

Is this more to do with the fact that Sancho had technically usurped the throne from his nephews?
Little bit of both, let’s nust say Louis, Celestine advisor has his own reasons

Chapter 35: Bela of Hungary

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 35: Bela of Hungary

August, 1293

Bela read the report from his scouts and scowled. The damned Italian was causing all sorts of issues and refusing to actually bend or go away. Bela had defeated every attempt of the man to try and take lands which he controlled, and still he came. Furthermore, the Pope supported him. Something Bela could not understand, given that Hungary had never allowed a woman let alone her descendants to sit the throne. Still he supposed if he won this war, he could sort out the mess his cousin had left.

The door opened and his cousin Andrew walked in. The man bowed before taking a seat. “You wished to see me, Sire?” Andrew asked.

“I did.” Bela responded. “Here read this.” He handed the report over to the man and watched him as he read.

Andrew’s face flickered between emotions, eventually settling in disgust. “Still Martel insists on raiding and pillaging and those fools continue to support him. I do not know what they see in him.”

“A chance for advancement no doubt.” Bela said. “Perhaps I was wrong not to promote Koszegi to the role of finance minister.”

Andrew snorted. “If you had done that then the Kingdom would be in even more dire straits. No, you made the right choice giving Ákos the position.”

Bela smiled. “Seems you and he are two of the only people who share that view. Still, we’ve got to sort this mess out. Martel must be dealt with and quickly, otherwise Hungary will remain in a state of perpetual infighting and that is not something we can afford.”

“Why? Do you think the Emperor will try something again?” Andrew asked, no doubt referring to when Emperor Albert of Germany had tried invading Hungary on some proxy claim. Bela had defeated his army and had chased him all the way back to Vienna.

“Not that. But if this chaos continues the power of the crown to do anything will be greatly weakened. I do not want to be a mere figurehead for different factions.” Bela replied.

“Then what do you suggest?” Andrew asked. “Risking a final battle is too risky. Either you could die or be captured. In which case Martel will execute you and come for Her Majesty the Queen.”

Bela nodded. “I know.” He didn’t want to say anything now, but he felt something akin to fear and relief, fear because Fenenna was with child and if he died in battle then that child was in danger as was his wife. Relief because she was with child and he might have a son soon.

“So, then that leaves the question still remaining. What are you going to do?” Andrew asked.

Bela thought on this and then said. “I will call together a meeting of my allies, and then send them out raiding into Martel territories. He has shown himself to be filled with energy and an inability to think beforehand. I shall lure him into the trap and then capture him. once he’s been captured, I will negotiate from a position of strength with the rebellious barons.”

“And the papacy?” Andrew asked.

“Them I shall deal with later. First secure Hungary.” Bela said.

Chapter 36: King Of The Romans

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 36: King of The Romans

September, 1293

After almost a year of hankering and negotiation, the day had finally come. An election was to be held for the post of King of the Romans and thus the next Emperor. Charles had had to use all of his powers of persuasion and some money lent to him by both his father and father by marriage to convince Emperor Albert to agree to support him. His Holiness Pope Celestine had left Naples to come to Regensburg for the vote as well. There was another competitor, Adolph, Count of Nassau a cold and harsh man who reminded Charles of Philippe.

The King of Bohemia as Arch Cupbearer and chief elector spoke. “My lords, we are gathered here today to end the stalemate that has been in place since the time of King Rudolph II’s death, and now we have two candidates. Charles, Count of Valois and Prince of France and Adolph, Count of Nassau. Each candidate shall say why they believe they are the right person for this role and then the voting shall begin.”

Charles went first. “My lords, I am a man who knows all of you. I have met with you, have wined and dined with you. You know me. I am not from the Empire, but I am someone who cares deeply for it. I am someone who wishes to end the turmoil that seems to have become a feature of the Empire. I wish to restore it to greatness. I bring with me an heir, a spare and daughters. I bring with me an alliance with France and with England. In short I bring a lot.”

Charles sat down, Adolph, Count of Nassau spoke then. “My honourable friend there is a boy. He might think he is a man, but he is a boy. And a boy is not what we need. We need someone who is prepared to fight, who knows how to fight and how to put in the hard work to ensure the Empire is reformed and brought to greatness. I know all of you and you know me. And we all know the threats we face. I am the man to deal with them.”

Adolph sat down, Charles found himself wondering whether he should be insulted or delighted by how Adolph had described him. The King of Bohemia got up then and said. “If anyone wishes to say anything else?” The man looked at the Pope and asked. “Your Holiness?”

“You may proceed.” The Pope said.

The King nodded. “Thank you, Your Holiness. Now for voting, please write the name of the candidate you support and place it into this box here.” The man gestured to a silver box on a table. “I shall begin.” The King took a piece of paper from a squire and wrote down a name, folded the paper and placed it in the box and sat down. The man didn’t look at anyone.

The Count of Palatine and Duke of Bavaria got up then and wrote a name down and placed it in the box. He looked at Charles as he did so, which made Charles think the man had voted for him. the Count was a terrifying man, he had killed his nephews, all three of them in a battle outside Landshut a few years ago and taken the spoils without a seeming drop of grief.

The Margrave of Brandenburg was next. He walked to the box, dropped his paper in and walked back. Then it was Saxony, and then came the spiritual electors. They did this all in complete silence and Charles found himself on a nerve’s edge, waiting and wondering. Eventually, His Holiness got up and moved to the box.

He took out a piece of paper and said. “Adolph, Count of Nassau.”

Charles kept his expression blank. There were six more papers to go.

“Adolph, Count of Nassau.”

Charles took a sip of wine, perhaps he should’ve bribed Saxony and Brandenburg with more money and promises of trade.

“Charles, Count of Valois.”

Charles didn’t respond, or tried not to. He was still in this.

Charles took another sip of wine, but could feel his hands shaking, he was close, so close.

“Adolph, Count of Nassau.”

Charles took another sip, or rather a gulp of wine. His chest was fluttering.

Another pause, he looked at where the other man was sitting, Adolph looked cold.

It took him a moment but then he put the cup down, got up and smiled and then bowed when the Pope came to him. “Thank you, You Holiness.” He accepted the blessings and then turned to the room at large. “Thank you, for this honour.”