A Greater Britain, Mk2

Just a question. Since Stalin lived a year longer, does that mean he was able to perform his purges he was planning to do?

So, is this 'it', or will there be anything more added? Have you got anything else planned?

Just sayin' like.

So, is this 'it', or will there be anything more added? Have you got anything else planned?

I guess now it's our turn to expand this timeline in "The Tales". ;)

However some official lists or summary timelines might be in order. Like the list of countries that are members of the European Union.

Just sayin' like.

I guess now it's our turn to expand this timeline in "The Tales". ;)

However some official lists or summary timelines might be in order. Like the list of countries that are members of the European Union.

This isn't quite it, as I'm hoping to do a collaborative thing fleshing out the world of the TL at some point- problem is that I'm so busy at work at the moment that I don't really have time to do anything else!

Originally posted by EdT
This isn't quite it, as I'm hoping to do a collaborative thing fleshing out the world of the TL at some point- problem is that I'm so busy at work at the moment that I don't really have time to do anything else!

I understand totally you, real life is too much...errr,,.. real..;)

Only a nitpicking: Unless the constitution was rewritten, Franco couldn't be elected President of the Republic since the 1931 constitution specifically barred members of the military from running to the presidential office. Maybe he resigned his commission?

Maybe he resigned his commission?

Hate to tell this, but I was reading the 1931 constitution while researching for my own timeline (wink, wink), and the article on the President bluntly states that no member of the military, either in active or having retired less than 10 years ago is eligible for the office of President.

The good news is that, the 1931 Constitution being inspired in the Weimar constitution, the office of President holds little actual power, so Franco could become, if not Prime Minister, at least Minister of War. :)

Hate to tell this, but I was reading the 1931 constitution while researching for my own timeline (wink, wink), and the article on the President bluntly states that no member of the military, either in active or having retired less than 10 years ago is eligible for the office of President.

The good news is that, the 1931 Constitution being inspired in the Weimar constitution, the office of President holds little actual power, so Franco could become, if not Prime Minister, at least Minister of War. :)

Oh bugger, that's a pain. Hm, more likely that Franco remains Minister for war and Ramón gets installed as President then, or something similar. Another revision for the next edition there I think! :D

By the way, if you liked 'A Greater Britain' then you may be interested in going over here to see a sneak preview of my new TL...

Some minor questions asked as an excuse to bump this thread ;):
1. What's the status of Cyprus ITTL? Still British, or maybe independent or Greek?
2. We know Goebbels survived the downfall of Hitler. What happened to him later? Still the head of “Information Ministry”, media tycoon or no-one important? How is denazification doing when compared to OTL?
3. Whats the status of Italian colonian empire in 1976? Waiting to be dismantled or maybe slowly bevoming integral part of the Italy?

maverick

Banned
Odd to see this one at the front page again...but since it it...I have a few questions of my own:

What happened to Iran and Iraq without the pro-Allied coups of 1941 that deposed the Shah of Iran (replacing him with his son, Reza Pahlevi) and the one that involved that British occupation of Iraq?

Some minor questions asked as an excuse to bump this thread ;):
1. What's the status of Cyprus ITTL? Still British, or maybe independent or Greek?
2. We know Goebbels survived the downfall of Hitler. What happened to him later? Still the head of “Information Ministry”, media tycoon or no-one important? How is denazification doing when compared to OTL?
3. Whats the status of Italian colonian empire in 1976? Waiting to be dismantled or maybe slowly bevoming integral part of the Italy?

1. Cyprus is an Independent Republic with a small British military presence guaranteeing that neither Turkey or Greece intervenes on the island. relationships between the Greek and Turkish communities have deterioriated as of late, and are rather strained...

2. Joseph Goebbels was killed in the 'Hindenburg Disaster' of 1949, when the famous airship burst into flames at Tempelhof Airport just before embarking on a goodwill voyage to Britain. De-nazification never occured ITTL, although many of the more extreme elements fled to South America and Bharatavarsha. The Kessler regime theoretically welcomes these exiles with open arms, but in fact deals harshly with 'alte kampfers' who are too open in their adoration for Hitler over the new Fuhrer.

3. Italy's colonial Empire is still going, strongly in Libya and rather less so in Somalia. The Italians aren't going anywhere soon however. I have a 90% written quick story set in Libya actually- shall try and finish it when I want a break from FaBR.

Odd to see this one at the front page again...but since it it...I have a few questions of my own:

What happened to Iran and Iraq without the pro-Allied coups of 1941 that deposed the Shah of Iran (replacing him with his son, Reza Pahlevi) and the one that involved that British occupation of Iraq?

Reza Shah was deposed by the British in 1952 after he unwisely tried to nationalise the oil industry and crawl under the Soviet umbrella in the process; Mohammed Mossadegh was installed in his place, and after the Shah's son attempted a coup two years later, the Republic of Iran was born. As of 1976 Iran is a stable, propserous secular state, although one that is locked in a permanent stand-off with the Ihyaaist (*B'aathist/Nasserite, more or less) Arab Republics of Syria and Iraq.

1. Cyprus is an Independent Republic with a small British military presence guaranteeing that neither Turkey or Greece intervenes on the island. relationships between the Greek and Turkish communities have deterioriated as of late, and are rather strained...
Independence, that's a rather unexpected convergence with OTL. Is this independent Cyprus part of British Commonwealth? Did the British decided to leave Cyprus as a result of scaling-down their Empire or were they forced out? Why would Britain oppose Cyprus "enonis" with Greece ITTL? Are British-Greek diplomatic relations particulary bad? Or maybe there is some important OTL-like reason I missed?

4. I've been wondering about military cooperation between EU nations, as this was only mentioned in your ebook. Is there an European Army and how strong is it in relation to national armed forces? Is there an unified command system? Is it permament or conditional (like - in case of war with Nazi Germany or Soviet Union). In the ebook there was this small passage about foreign military bases. What do you mean by that? Is, let's say, Austrian division permamently based near SU border in Romania, or a Polish division in Libya? Are there multinational divisions?

5. Have given any thought on how this world would look like in 2000? If so, share your vision with us. ;)

btw, did David and Thelma have any kids? If they did, I can see some pressure along the line for a repeal/modification of the morganatic settlement...

Independence, that's a rather unexpected convergence with OTL. Is this independent Cyprus part of British Commonwealth? Did the British decided to leave Cyprus as a result of scaling-down their Empire or were they forced out? Why would Britain oppose Cyprus "enonis" with Greece ITTL? Are British-Greek diplomatic relations particulary bad? Or maybe there is some important OTL-like reason I missed?

My main reason for suggesting independence was that I hesistate to speculate what sort of Greek regime there would be ITTL, and that would be the determining factor as to how Cyprus ends up. It's not a part of the world I've really got many thoughts on at all ITTL really.

4. I've been wondering about military cooperation between EU nations, as this was only mentioned in your ebook. Is there an European Army and how strong is it in relation to national armed forces? Is there an unified command system? Is it permament or conditional (like - in case of war with Nazi Germany or Soviet Union). In the ebook there was this small passage about foreign military bases. What do you mean by that? Is, let's say, Austrian division permamently based near SU border in Romania, or a Polish division in Libya? Are there multinational divisions?

I saw it as being largely conditional on war with a large degree of joint training, probably the harmonisation of ammunition and equipment types and so on. There would probably be some troops based on foreign soil, but only where it might be happening anyway- Italian forces in Albania and Croatia for example. Overall, it'd probably end up being closer to NATO then to the proposed European Defence Community.

5. Have given any thought on how this world would look like in 2000? If so, share your vision with us. ;)

I deliberately haven't planned anything out beyond 1976- everything has to stop somewhere, after all. Tbh with the sort of German regime I had in mind ('helter skelter'), a nuclear war is probably the most likely possibility; and that's no fun...

btw, did David and Thelma have any kids? If they did, I can see some pressure along the line for a repeal/modification of the morganatic settlement...

To be honest, I really hadn't got that far! I suspect that Princess Elizabeth will be in the public eye enough (and will be well respected enough) for it to be very difficult for the King to ensure his own children succeed. I suspect it wholly depends on any children that the Royal couple have, and how embarassing or not they are.

I deliberately haven't planned anything out beyond 1976- everything has to stop somewhere, after all. Tbh with the sort of German regime I had in mind ('helter skelter'), a nuclear war is probably the most likely possibility; and that's no fun...
Well we know that there were historical works written after 1976, so that suggests that the world was spared. ;)
BTW, in my adaptation of "Greater Britain" Fourth Reich is on it's way to become an large-scale OTL North Korea. An isolated state, that requires supplies from other countries to survive, but one that can threaten you with nuclear bombs on orbit.

I repost a map from Map Thread IV showing my interpretation of Poland ITTL. (With a larger version here to see). :
MapaMala.png

1. Stockholm Treaty was covered in the timeline itself, through here you can see the exact details of the new East Prussia borders. Specifically Poland gets Olsztyn/Allenstein and Kwidzyn/Marienwerder, but Elbląg/Elbing and Malbork/Marienburg stay in Germany.
2. In the timeline there is a mention that Poland and Czechoslovakia reached an agreement regarding Zaolzie. What kind of agreement was that, EdT? Did Poland gave up their claims for Zaolzie and was compensated somehow? Or maybe Czechoslovakia decided to return this whole territory to Poland, for a price? Maybe it was divided along some arbitrary lines? Or there was some kind of plebiscite organized? (On my map Poland has about 2/5 of Zaolzie territory back within it's borders, but that's by no means final)
3. Dealing with the border changes after the Baltic War was also quite challenging. I revised my earlier ideas and decided to give Soviets a larger slice of Poland. I mean even with Poles preparing for this invasion from the 20s, Soviet army being plagued by incompetence (no Winter War or WWII experience to draw upon) and EU intervention - numbers tell there is just no way for Soviets not to take huge swathes of Eastern Poland. Only later at the negotiations table, Stalin, faced with a war against whole EU might decide to give up some of his conquest. The new Volhynian/Podolian borders I've choosen are based on the Styr river and south-eastern General Goverment borders - that way Poland get's to keep most of the land populated mainly by Poles and no post-WWII scale population relocations are necessery.

4. I take it TTL communist revolution in China was more violent than OTL? Can we assume the Communist took Hong Kong and Macau? Also when and why was Thibet incorporated into the Chinese state?
5. I'd also like to ask about Manchuria? Is it still a Japanese puppet state, or maybe a Chinese or Russian satellite, or (that would be most interesting) some sort of "finlandised" state?

Last edited:

recidivist

I'd like to read this work, but via the link provided it doesn't download into Acrobat and I'm finding the text far too small for my ancient eyes. Is there a way of downloading the file or is it set up that way for obvious reasons?

It's fine with me. It does take a while to download, though, as it's 6.5 MB. So if you're on a slow connection it might take a fair bit.

Thande

Donor
I'd like to read this work, but via the link provided it doesn't download into Acrobat and I'm finding the text far too small for my ancient eyes. Is there a way of downloading the file or is it set up that way for obvious reasons?

If you have a mouse with a wheel, try holding down CTRL and rolling it to magnify the text size.

recidivist

My thanks for the suggestions on viewing the document - problem now solved thanks to its author!