A Great War

Is there anyway, that between the ACW and the Spainish-American War that there would be a world war between the nations. And if so, when would it be, who would be on who's sides, and were would be primarily fought.

Any of the Russo-Turkish Wars could have snowballed into a larger conflict. I think one of the best PODs would be Fashoda Crisis between Britain and France in 1898 (or so). Unfortunately, it does fall outside the limits you've placed. However, the lynchpin also to consider is the development of the alliance system in the late 1880s and early 1890s in order to achieve a 'Great War'.

That might work, those to blend into one another as the US supports the British claims while France begins aiding Spain. Eventually Germany jumps in on France and Russia jumps in on Germany.

Arch-Angel said:
That might work, those to blend into one another as the US supports the British claims while France begins aiding Spain. Eventually Germany jumps in on France and Russia jumps in on Germany.

so basically everyone goes insane and starts a bunch of wars for no reason?

Pretty much what happened OTL in WWI.

So we'd have Spain, France, Russia vs. US, Britain, Germany (with Austria likely, too). Seems a bit one-sided.

This could also lead to an earlier Russo-Japanese conflict, with Japan joining the US-Britain-Germany-Austria axis. Things could get even more interesting if the US, Britain, and Japan begin to argue over the Phillippines.

In any event, one factor in a larger war would probably be (in my opinion) direct US annexation of Cuba as well, as the sentiment would be that we'd spent so much blood for it, we rightfully deserve it.

They had reasons in 1914, even if they weren't terribly good ones,

For the French to start a war over Fashoda would be to start a war THEY KNEW they couldn't win, it's possible they'd nonetheless have been pushed into war had Kitchener simply massacred Marchland's force but that would have been rather uncharacteristic.

Why france would even have considered siding with Spain against the USA totally escapes me, as does teh causus belli for the Germans against France.

If you want a great war 1878 is much more promising; you'd have Russia, Britain and Austria-Hungary involved from the start, with some chance of Germany being drawn in.

I never said it was logical. I was just suggesting the two invidividual situations could snow ball and merge into one great conflict.