A Glorious Union or America: the New Sparta

Chapter One Hundred and Fifty Nine The Long Road Home
Chapter One Hundred and Fifty Nine

The Long Road Home

From “An Account of the Recent Campaign in Abyssinia” by Captain J.F. Goodfellow
Macmillan & Co 1870

"Chaos reigned in the Abyssinian camp when the full extent of the defeat became clear. No chief seemed left alive to take command. The body of the Emperor, broken by allied artillery, but identified by Mr Saalmuller, one of the European prisoners, was treated reverently by the American forces who first came upon it. The message from the advancing allies was clear – “His Majesty, Emperor Theodore has fought nobly and bravely fallen in his cause. It is my desire there be no more blood spilled. If therefore the people of this country bring all the Europeans [sic] now in their hands and deliver them safely this day to the British camp I guarantee honourable treatment to the Abyssinian people and most particularly to the Emperor’s family” (General Napier’s declaration).

C617B1.jpg

British newspapers wrongly credited the discovery of Theodore's body to their own troops

Aside from the artisans liberated by the Americans from Theodore’s armed camp, where they had been forced to assist with his artillery, the remaining Europeans were delivered into the British camp alongside Theodore’s queen, Tirrowark and his son, Alumayou. The Queen and the Prince were taken into our care with the intention of travelling to England. No doubt the Queen feared for her young son’s life as her dead husband’s rivals would now vie for the throne…

The fortress of Magdala was in the territory of the Muslim Oromo tribes. Two rival Oromo queens, Mostiat and Werkiat, who had both allied themselves with the allies claimed dominion over the captured fortress as their reward. The strong opinion of the allies was that Magdala should be handed over the Christian Wagshum Gobazee. This would allow Gobazee to stem the Oromos’ advance and perhaps save some 30,000 refugees from Theodore’s camp. Gobazee, keen to seize Theodore’s cannons, responded positively and, having given undertakings for the safety of the refugees, took possession much to the anger of the Oromo queens…"

From “America in Abyssinia – a reassessment” by Dr. Luther K. Price
Buffalo 1991

"The column began to retrace its steps to the coast. While, to the eyes of the British and Americans themselves, the force was an imposing spectacle, with its flags and bands playing, the troops were soon to learn they had earned little gratitude in Abyssinia. They were simply seen as another warlike tribe on the march…

Indeed to many of the native Abyssinians it looked as if the Anglo-American troops were marching away as though defeated at Magdala. As such attacks on the column, though rare on the march inland, increased. This was exacerbated in the early stages of the march as the Oromo queens, in the full fury of their wroth, gave licence to their subjects to revenge themselves on their ungrateful former allies…"

From “An Account of the Recent Campaign in Abyssinia” by Captain J.F. Goodfellow
Macmillan & Co 1870

"At the time of the battle before Magdala every station along the supply route was being pressed by the natives. Frankly the whole border population, whether Mahommedan or Christian, could not resist the sight and temptation of property. Several bodies of armed men hung upon the line between Senafe and Adigerat, and more than one convoy was molested. The detachment at Goona-goona had to turn out to repel an attack by an armed party. The increase of such molestations was of increasing concern to the Commander in Chief…"

From "Son of the Morning Star" by George A. Custer
Harper and Bros. 1885

"The column was shielded by the combined cavalry brigade which performed this arduous and tiring duty gallantly. No straggler from the column was safe and occasionally larger parties would be the subject of determined attack...

On the first stage of the journey it was the savage Oromo serving their twin Witch-Queens; further on it was then the brutal Gallas once again. Although we had occasion to engage in larger actions, such as the repulse of an Oromo attack in force on the Water Party, where I had the privilege to lead troopers of the 1st and 13th in a mounted action which repelled the attack without significant loss, such actions were rare. We were instead often subject to harassing fire from musketoons, bows, spears and simple rocks hurled from concealed positions. Driving off such attacks proved a tiring and unsatisfying exercise for the troops…"

Buffalo 1991

"It is difficult to underestimate the strain placed on the officers and men of the cavalry of both nations and the success they achieved in protecting the main body of the column from harassment. The tragedy at Senafe can be put down to a failure of communication between the staff of both the British and American commands, as well as a break down in the cavalry’s chain of command…"

From "Son of the Morning Star" by George A. Custer
Harper and Bros. 1885

"Near Senafe, where both our nations had formed significant camps of supply, Major Merritt, commanding the troops protecting our own supplies, reported to me that a large body of armed Abyssinians was moving on the camp. I immediately gave orders that Colonel Towers and General Hancock be informed and further that my intention to form the cavalry under my command and move upon the tribesmen forthwith be communicated….

Major Merritt commanded two companies on my left and Captain Gambell two on my right. My force was entirely made up of American troops. The Abyssinians numbered perhaps 5,000 men while my own command on that morning mustered no more than 220 mounted troopers…

The vedettes firing over their heads did not dissuade the advancing horde and, in the absence of further orders, I resolved to protect our supplies by immediately charging the enemy force…"

b5d2b601bb83db8ca9e20e55672c4536.jpg

Buffalo 1991

"Custer’s Charge or the Battle of Senafe created a legend that it has taken a century to unravel. The successful charge of white, black and red Americans against seemingly huge odds was celebrated in America as a pivotal unifying event. Though it took weeks for the news to reach American shores reports, overall wildly inaccurate, dominated the papers for weeks. As a solely American victory it seemed to dwarf the victory at Magdala in the American public’s imagination. Sword and revolver in the melee would be the staple of seven major theatrical film releases. It served Custer’s fame for a generation…

Napier had sought to reward Ras Kassai for his services with a formidable quantity of supplies, muskets, rifles, cannons and ammunition. These were exclusively British supplies and ordinance and so the Americans were not informed in any great detail about the transaction. Neither were the tribesmen sent by Kassai informed of the difference between British and American supplies. Was Custer then right to defend the US supply encampment? Hancock thought so, referring to the tribesmen as “an undisciplined horde bent on looting the property of the United States Government”. Privately he wrote “the British government may tolerate General Napier’s largesse. They can certainly afford it. Our government expects me to account for every biscuit and every horse blanket. I have no regrets about the chastisement those savages received at Custer’s hands”…

The British, keen to avoid their own embarrassment, were quick to blame Ras Kassai. “Having whetted their appetite with legitimately obtained goods, greed drove them to attempt to wholesale looting and thievery from the next camp which they came upon”…

The full background of the engagement at Senafe would remain largely hidden until the early 20th century…

Oblivious to the shambles behind the misunderstanding the press was universal in its praise. The Abyssinian campaign finally had an American hero: a golden-haired cavalier from Michigan. It helped that this hero was beloved by his commanding general, Phil Kearny, and already the implement of American vengeance: the slayer of John Wilkes Booth…

The smashing of his unprepared men and the resulting loss of prestige and support were the first nails in Ras Kassai’s coffin. Within two years he would be dead, and his troops scattered at the hands of Wagshum Gobazee – Emperor Giyorgis – George of Abyssinia…"

On the return to Zula the captives released from Theodore’s power, who belonged to other nationalities, were finally released over to the foreign officers who awaited them there. The plunder taken at Magdala was sold at auction, and the proceeds of sale distributed among the troops as prized money (an undertaking shared with the Americans much to the concern of some elements of Congress). Indeed General Hancock’s staff secured one of Theodore’s two crowns for presentation to the United States Government in some form of compensation for the expenses of the expedition. Though it was a highly ornate and, according to Hancock, “rather barbaric” headgear it was only silver-gilt with coloured glass decorations. The British had secured the primary golden Emperor’s crown…

Macmillan & Co 1870

"Perhaps General Napier should have the last word:

Soldiers and Sailors of the Army of Abyssinia! The Queen of England, the President of America and our two great peoples entrusted you a very arduous and difficult expedition – to release our countrymen from a long and painful captivity, and to vindicate the honour of our countries, which had been outraged by Theodore, Emperor of Abyssinia.

I congratulate you, with all my heart, on the noble way in which you have fulfilled the commands laid upon us…

Our complete and rapid success is due – firstly, to the mercy of God, whose Hand, I feel assured, has been over us in a just cause; secondly, to the high spirit with which you have been inspired!

Soldiers have forgotten the prejudices of race and creed to keep pace with one another in this endeavour…

Though the remembrance of your privations will pass away quickly; your gallant exploits will live in history on three continents. I shall remain to watch over your safety to the moment of your re-embarkation, and shall, to the end of my life, remember with pride that I have commanded you.
” (Extract from General Sir Robert Napier's Final General Order of the Campaign).

And so, we come to the end of the Abyssinia Campaign. Though it has succeeded in its objectives, it is something of an inglorious ending indeed. Destabilizing the country behind them as they go, and lots of really bad relations with the locals...

I'm glad to see Custer has maintained his usual tactical subtlety :biggrin:

Can't wait to see 1868 rounded off and the outcome of the 1868 election! Great work TKI!

Great to see this back!

I have trouble seeing a British general from India coming out with this in the 1860s though.

Hmmmm....well he actually wrote " Indian soldiers have forgotten the prejudices of race and creed to keep pace with their European comrades".

Having white, black, and red non-Europeans tagging along has allowed me to trick General Napier into sounding more broad minded that he might actually be.

Binge-read this story last fall and now I'm thrilled to follow it in real time.

How do you see the foreign relations between the United States and the United Kingdom evolving? IOTL, relations between the US and UK remained relatively chilly up until the Great Rapprochement around the time of the Spanish-American War. The Anglophone powers moving closer together earlier could have significant consequences for the world.

Chapter One Hundred and Sixty A New Beginning Part I
Chapter One Hundred and Sixty

A New Beginning
Part I

From “The Radicals 1860-1872” by Hugh W. McGrath
New England Press 2001

“Privately Senator Wade made it clear that when he looked at his potential rivals for the Republican nomination, Chase, Hamlin, Holt or Butler he had no doubt that he could beat them all. For Wade there was only one fear – that the party would turn to a war hero and there was one hero above all, Philip Kearny Jr, who could, with a single word, crush his chances of the presidency…”

From “Philip Kearny – The Myth and The Man” by Dr. P. Capaldi
University of Illinois Press 2003

“As both an emissary for himself and on behalf of others, it was Dan Sickles who approached his friend about his political ambitions. Writing to Kearny while he was away in Europe, Sickles asked whether, if offered, Kearny would accept the Republican nomination for President.

The Republican Party of Wade and his cabal is still a sectional party and I will not stand as a candidate for one part of our country against another…” replied Kearny. Sickles next letter was “pure Dan” (Kearny).

Would you view an offer of the Democratic nomination any more favorably?” Kearny’s answer remained the same…

The question remains whether Kearny intended or expected Sickles to disseminate this information as widely as he did. The fact remains that in short order Sickles had informed his intimates in both parties and breathed life into a multitude of presidential hopefuls…”

From “The Rivals – Lincoln and his Cabinet” by Amelia Doggett
Grosvenor 2008

“Months before the scheduled Republican convention in Chicago the names of the likely contenders were on every lip: Benjamin Wade, Salmon P. Chase, Joseph Holt, Benjamin Butler, David Davis and Hannibal Hamlin. First Phil Kearny and then John F. Reynolds had rejected any approach from party operatives who were less than impressed by the likely candidates. Joseph Hooker flirted with the idea of candidacy but he was also being tempted with office in Massachusetts…

Wade represents the wrath of God on earth; Spoons Butler all seven deadly sins; Hamlin killers who abhor killing; Holt the lovers of dull competency; Chase represents anyone who’ll let him; and Davis those too cowardly to choose another…” was William Seward’s scathing view…”

220px-Benjamin_F_Wade_-_Brady-Handy.jpg
220px-Mathew_Brady%2C_Portrait_of_Secretary_of_the_Treasury_Salmon_P._Chase%2C_officer_of_the_United_States_government_%281860%E2%80%931865%2C_full_version%29.jpg
220px-Joseph_Holt.jpg
220px-Benjamin_Franklin_Butler_Brady-Handy.jpg
220px-DDavis.jpg
220px-Hannibal_Hamlin%2C_photo_portrait_seated%2C_c1860-65-retouched-crop.jpg

Senator Benjamin Wade of Ohio, Former Secretary of the Treasury Salmon P. Chase of Ohio, Vice President Joseph Holt of Kentucky, Congressman Benjamin Butler of Massachusetts, Chief Justice David Davis of Illinois, and Former Vice President Hannibal Hamlin of Maine

From “Chasing the White House – Salmon P. Chase and his Campaign to be President” by Albert Niven
Grosvenor 2001

“It was agonizing for Chase. The Democratic convention was to be held in Tammany Hall, New York well before the Republican convention. It was obvious that the Republicans were infinitely better placed to win the election but the Democrats were so desperate for a viable candidate that they would consider a willing former Republican. Their desperation was matched only by Chase’s own to be President. Chase’s great fear however was that, with his fellow Ohioan Benjamin Wade in the race, he could not guarantee the support of his own state. He had many willing supporters as the result of his former patronage as Secretary of Treasury but he knew that support was ephemeral. It would harden if he could show the support of the Ohio delegation but it would vanish like mist if Wade gained momentum…

Chase was not above swapping horses in mid-stream if the Democrats would offer him the nomination but he wanted to fight for the Republican nomination first. The timing of the Democrat’s Convention denied him that opportunity and no amount of scheming on his part could have it delayed. Thus, did Chase finally commit to a Republican candidacy and he approached the one Ohioan whose support might provide critical, General Jacob Dolson Cox, Director of the Bureau of Collectors…”

From “A True Deputy – The Vice Presidency of Joseph Holt” by Justice McClintock
Grosvenor 2004

“Those who thought Reconstruction perfected in its current form feared the consequences of a Wade presidency and did not see much attraction in the alternatives. “Ben Wade will drive every white southerner with a pistol or a musket to become a bushwhacker and Butler will have us at war with England in a week. We need a sound man more in the mould of Lincoln…” (Governor James Wadsworth of New York)…

It was felt that Holt, as Lincoln’s Vice President, could command the loyalty of the newly enfranchised black voters of the South; as a Kentuckian the border states; and as a man who had served under Buchanan and Lincoln he could encourage the less radical elements of the party…

Although initially reluctant a meeting with Governor Bull Nelson and Senator Rousseau of Kentucky in which they pledged the support of his home delegation convinced Holt that it was his duty to allow his name to go forward…”

From “Tammany Ablaze – Democratic Politics from 1864-1900” by Otis R. Mayhew
Buffalo 2003

“The Democrats were desperate to avoid the chaos of the Columbus Convention of 1864, though it had been some time prior since a Democratic convention had not resulted in chaos, and yet once again there was no clear candidate…

The Democrats were keen to leave their ‘Copperhead’ label behind and thus looked first for a unifying war hero. Kearny’s refusal was mere proforma as few Democrats dreamed that miracle would come to pass but they did seek out other politician-generals who might take up the baton...

The most obvious candidate in blue was General Winfield Scott Hancock who was known to have voiced opposition to the scope of Reconstruction and his gentle hand in North Carolina had left a lasting impression. His absence in the depths of Abyssinia and the uncertain outcome of that campaign meant they dare not risk his nomination. It was a matter of question in any event if such a committed soldier would accept a nomination while on active service…

Lew Wallace’s name was circulated and it was obvious he was interested but even he doubted he could muster the support to win outright in an early Convention ballot and instead looked to his native Indiana for advancement…

In the absence of a committed Democrat in uniform the old names from the 1864 Convention bubbled back to the surface: Horatio Seymour, Lazarus Powell, George Pendleton, Thomas A. Hendricks and even Andrew Johnson. Added to these were favorite sons such as James E. English of Connecticut and Joel Parker of New Jersey…

That is not to say many actively sought the nomination. Most senior Democrats understood that their nominee would be a sacrificial lamb in the name of keeping the party alive on the national level…

Horatio Seymour quashed any suggestion he might accept the nomination to run again. One humiliation was enough. Having already turned down nomination once in 1864 and been selected anyway he announced his intentions clearly “If nominated again I will announce my intentions to vote the Republican straight ticket for the rest of my days”…

Fernando Wood’s view was that the party needed someone who thought they deserved to win; believed they had even the faintest chance of winning; who would not humiliate the Party in running; but whom the party could afford to see humiliated by the result. Wood’s conclusion was clear – George Hunt Pendleton of Ohio. A committed Democrat who, however much he had been a Copperhead, was pragmatic enough now to moderate his tone against all but the worst excesses of Reconstruction; who had a big enough name in the country; and who, Wood understood, was unlikely to win re-election to Congress from his Ohio district in any event. What is more Pendleton’s name had risen to the top twice during the endless balloting of the 64 Convention…

With the Ohio, New York and New Jersey delegations leading the way it only took four ballots to propel Pendleton to the nomination. One anonymous wit in the Democratic Party was quoted in the New York Tribune as saying “if he wins Pendleton is fool enough to do no harm and if he loses he’s fool enough to be no loss”…

The real controversy started on the nomination for the vice-president. Having put a former Copperhead at the top of the ticket many thought it necessary to lure back the War Democrats with a more moderate name at the bottom of the ticket. The old men of the Democratic party in their smoke filled backrooms decided upon Governor James E. English of Connecticut. English had actually voted with the Republicans more often that not while part of the 38th Congress on all the key legislation, opposing only the Confiscation Act…

It took six rather stormy ballots to force through English with both Wood and Joel Parker having to disavow their home states delegations' attempts to have them nominated instead of English. Neither of them intended to play second fiddle to Pendleton on a losing ticket…

Pendleton was furious when he found out his running mate was English. They had not spoken since the stormy scenes in the 38th Congress when English had led a handful of Democrats to join the War Democrats and Republicans in passing key legislation. Indeed, it was well that the candidates adhered to the convention that they should not actively travel and campaign for no evidence has been found that the two men either spoke or corresponded directly at any time between the end of the 38th Congress and the death of James English in 1889…”

220px-GeorgeHPendleton.png
200px-JEEnglish.jpg

George Hunt Pendleton of Ohio and James Edward English of Connecticut

From “The Rivals – Lincoln and his Cabinet” by Amelia Doggett
Grosvenor 2008

“In the run up to the Republican convention in Chicago Republican backed newspapers began their campaigns in support of their anointed candidates. Men like Wade, Chase and particularly Butler and their adherents would stoop far to smear their opponents with accusations of every species of corruption, moral turpitude and, in Butler’s case, every sin listed in the bible and some entirely of his own invention…

President Lincoln wrote many letters to the potential candidates, their supporters and newspaper editors asking them to conduct a respectful campaign. “Never before have I engaged in so much spitting into the wind…and just like Canute my feet are getting wet.” With the exception of Joseph Holt, Lincoln did not have a high opinion of any of his potential successors…”

From “The 100 Greatest Movie Quotes of All Time” by George Gregory and Amy Li
Morrison Bros. 2011

With One Hand Behind My Back 1949 – Marlborough Pictures

Marcus Graves as Robert Todd Lincoln: “It can't end this way. It mustn't. Father isn’t time you picked the successor you want? The successor the country needs?

walter-huston-abraham-lincoln-1930.jpg

James J. Bierce as President Lincoln in "With One Hand Behind My Back"

From “The Radicals 1860-1872” by Hugh W. McGrath
New England Press 2001

“The National Union Party’s convention at the Academy of Music in Philadelphia was supposed to mark the end of the party. It was supposed to be adjourned with a pledge to endorse the candidate chosen at the Republican Party Convention in 10 days’ time. A 25 year old delegate from the District of Columbia would ensure it was anything but…”

Binge-read this story last fall and now I'm thrilled to follow it in real time.

How do you see the foreign relations between the United States and the United Kingdom evolving? IOTL, relations between the US and UK remained relatively chilly up until the Great Rapprochement around the time of the Spanish-American War. The Anglophone powers moving closer together earlier could have significant consequences for the world.

There will certainly be closer movement and we will see more of that over the course of the next presidency...

Another update close in time to the previous. Hooray!!!

As a Kentuckian and a graduate of the same college as Holt, I am rooting for him!!! Bolt for Holt!!

I'll say one thing for Pendleton - at least he seems to find his situation amusing. He's the only one smiling in his photo. Is it illegal to smile in 1860s photographs? The Republicans are universally miserable!

I'll say one thing for Pendleton - at least he seems to find his situation amusing. He's the only one smiling in his photo. Is it illegal to smile in 1860s photographs? The Republicans are universally miserable!
It's partly a technological limit, the cameras of the day required long exposure times to take each photo so it's often difficult for someone to hold a smile without moving a muscle for that long. Another "issue" is that in the 1800's photography was generally seen as akin to portraiture and smiling in portraits was not the typical fashion, especially for official, formal portraits such as these.

One point, if David Davis is an actual candidate as opposed to just being mentioned. Lincoln might look favorably on David Davis' candidacy as IIRC from his background as Judge in Illinois riding the circuit with Lincoln.

Ahhhh cliffhangers. I'm very surprised that Kearny refused the Republican nomination. He seemed to me understanding of the political realities of the post-bellum United States and the necessity of a guiding hand. I'm furthermore very surprised that the Republicans aren't turning to more ex-generals. Traditionally, American voters have always supported war heroes.

What are the platforms of the various parties going to be, particularly with regards outside of black rights? Obviously the Republicans will be supporting broader civil rights and economic opportunities for freedmen, but the Democrats really aren't going to be able to advocate "states rights" or denounce "Negro supremacy" in TTL's post-Civil War Reconstruction.

Absolutely thrilled to see this being updated regularly. As a question of personal interest, how do you see the US Navy developing? In the USN's historiography, there is close to no work done on the twenty-year period following the Civil War. Despite that the Navy maintained a presence in foreign ports such as Canton, Marseilles, and Rio de Janiero and worked with foreign navies like the RN and the French. The USS Miantonomoh made a state visit to the UK in 1866 and intimidated quite a few politicians and naval officers. So I'm wondering how the US Navy would evolve with a greater level of funding and attention enabling it to keep up with the naval arms races that were going on over in Europe.

V/r

Awesome update TKI! This is a twist to the 1868 election I didn't see coming! Very much looking forward to where you're going with this! Though poor foolish Pendleton, having to mount the gallows for the Democratic Party one more time!