A Glorious Union or America: the New Sparta

While waiting for the next chapter I just wondered if this whole TL actually grows out of the battle of Williamsburg which I've been reading about recently. When I look at the list of key names in that battle they sound strangely familiar:

BG Joe Hooker
BG Phil Kearny
BG John J Peck
BG Winfield S. Hancock
Col. Regis de Trobriand

Capt. George A Custer

That's the only battle I seem to be able to place them all in. Also most of Kearny's staff that you list are getting started in this battle including Lt. Col (AAG) Chauncey McKeever and maybe even little Gus Schurmann as Kearny's drummer boy.

Anything in that?

While waiting for the next chapter I just wondered if this whole TL actually grows out of the battle of Williamsburg which I've been reading about recently. When I look at the list of key names in that battle they sound strangely familiar:

BG Joe Hooker
BG Phil Kearny
BG John J Peck
BG Winfield S. Hancock
Col. Regis de Trobriand

Capt. George A Custer

That's the only battle I seem to be able to place them all in. Also most of Kearny's staff that you list are getting started in this battle including Lt. Col (AAG) Chauncey McKeever and maybe even little Gus Schurmann as Kearny's drummer boy.

Anything in that?

It is just a co-incidence. I did not know before you drew my attention to it that John Peck had played an important role at Williamsburg. It is however significant in that it is the begins of Kearny's Circle or the Kearny Ring if you want to call it that - favourites like Hiram Berry, David Birney, Baldy Smith, W.T.H. Brooks, Pat Egan all served with or around Kearny at this time. Sickles only missed the battle because his rank had not been confirmed.

I am not sure Schurmann was with Kearny this early in the war but the rest of Kearny's staff was in place around various parts of III Corps.

Grant has command of the Department of the Cumberland at the moment. A reasonably cushy assignment. He is also the 4th most senior army general after Kearny, Halleck, and Reynolds.

Sherman, while of high rank (a Brigadier General), is still acting as Grant's chief of staff in the Cumberland. This is mainly as a result of his disability arising out of the loss of his arm.
Probably good to keep them together. They were at their best when such, imo.

1wd3ts.gif

Odd the glasses on Britannia. Is that referring to someone? Yes, awesome to see another post coming up.

edit.
When is the image from, sort of looks like a young female Churchill, Eeek.

Whaaaat?? In my line of work (or should I say former) "Big C" meant cancer. Don't forget that is how John Wayne referred to his disease.

Wasnt there a Corea ITTL?

It would appear that Corea/Korea is a participant in the upcoming Emperors' War (also involving China and Japan seemingly). You can read some brief hints about it here. There is a 'Third Punitive Expedition to Corea' c. 1903 by the USS Monongahela. Apparently it marks the end of the region as a united nation and it is split into three separate territories.

Austrian and Mexican troops also apparently seize an American colonial position in China: Tientsin/Tianjin during the Emperors' War.

Last edited: