A Glorious Union or America: the New Sparta

A few questions regarding the United States ITTL:
1) How large is the army at the start of the Kearny Administration, compared to roughly the same time as IOTL?
2) What are the standard issue weapons of the army? Also, what of support weapons/artillery?
3) When will the Proclamation of Abandonment, the Confiscation Act and the Undesirable Aliens Act be repealed? While I'm on the subject, how badly have they been abused?

It's alive! Alive!! MUA-HA-HA-HA!!!!!

Seriously, though, really glad to see this back. I've lost count of how many times I've reread this story. (Rubs hands) Now, how do we think President Kearny is going to react to the Franco-Prussian War?

On an unrelated subject here is some ejit talking to the American Civil War Round Table UK on Phil Kearny at such a length he couldn't fit in Second Bull Run...

Brilliant lecture! I really enjoyed listening to that today - I look forward to the day I get to lecture on my own research for an hour and a half (though that is more likely to put people to sleep, I fear, than yours!)

As others have said; its amazing to see this back and I can't wait to see how the Kearny Administration develops and deals with the troubles of Reconstruction and the Post-War United States

Welcome back! Glad that this magnificent story lives on!
Secretary of the Navy - Austin Blair (Michigan)

Blair's actions had caught the attention of General Kearny and they had become regular correspondents. It was Bull Richardson, not always considered the most caring of men, who had drawn Kearny's attention to the impact of office on Blair's finances. Kearny resolved to award a man of like principle with a guaranteed government salary and duties that, at best, could be described as low on Kearny's list of priorities - the Navy. It was not to be the happiest of appointments...
At least he got a sinecure for his efforts, I guess... I just hope he's not the one left holding the bag should something like Virginius happen ttl

It lives! Hurrah and Jubilee!
I think that's a solid cabinet. Hopefully Seligman can help the United States avoid some of its OTL financial problems in the post war period.
Oh and I'm excited to see how some of the states developed based on the governors and senators they picked in those last couple updates. South Carolina and Mississippi going full black super majoirty is always nice but those alliances in Texas and Lousiana are very interesting. Honestly it would be cool if Texas gets more German immigrants as a result.
Now that's an idea! How to get more immigrants from the Germanies though...?
Always glad to see a post on this most excellent of a timeline. Shame the Navy is at the bottom but to be honest naval tech is going to be rapidly changing so much that at this time unless your are GB riding the wave is going to be costly, so a decade or so of just maintaining might not be bad.
The Navy is this President's blind spot. You'll have to wait for the Busted Flush Presidency...
Hmmm... seems good ol' Kearny definitely has his biases on what's meritocratic and not meritocratic in his grand gesture of forging a new American political order. and I'm not even talking about how heavily he's dipping into personal connections for solid subordinates to his executive will, or how much he's relying on like New York good society as a replacement metric in the absence of just doing Spoils patronage, all of that's not too abnormal as far as non-Spoils presidential and cabinet politics are concerned. But more just how his fundamental organizational philosophy seems to put little stock in much of any kind of networking with Congress and what could very well be much more meritocratic candidates, even with the more parliamentary kinds of networking that aren't just open graft. (It also seems that in all this there's not too much disruption in what classes of people are to be considered meritocratic civil servants, without any kind of populist seismic shift pulling up lots of self-made men or anything, just breaking open some political office out of the hands of the antebellum political class specifically).
Kearny has the mantra of the right man for the job and also views the cabinet like a combination of staff officer and military theatre commanding subordinates... Also including the President and VP there are 5 generals and 1 militia general and one judge-advocate general...
A few questions regarding the United States ITTL:
1) How large is the army at the start of the Kearny Administration, compared to roughly the same time as IOTL?
2) What are the standard issue weapons of the army? Also, what of support weapons/artillery?
3) When will the Proclamation of Abandonment, the Confiscation Act and the Undesirable Aliens Act be repealed? While I'm on the subject, how badly have they been abused?
1. Chapter 147 - Congress voted an establishment of 80,512 officers and enlisted men. This meant that the regular army would, on paper at least, expand to 44 regiments of infantry and 20 regiments of cavalry (later reduced in 1868 to 15).
2. Oh lord I'd have to think about that one...
3. Its not imminent...
It's alive! Alive!! MUA-HA-HA-HA!!!!!

Seriously, though, really glad to see this back. I've lost count of how many times I've reread this story. (Rubs hands) Now, how do we think President Kearny is going to react to the Franco-Prussian War?
Oh god now I have to remember what I'd planned and get the chronology to work.
Welcome Back! I had almost given up hope of seeing the details of everything foreshadowed
The biggest task is re-reading this and my notes to ensure I pick up on the foreshadowing I engaged in "checks notes" over 10 years ago...

Well I suppose that depends on how you have things play out in Europe but, perhaps the Kulturkampf in Germany gets even more heavy handed as to push some Catholic Germans to leave. The German Texans could also basically be advertising in Germany for potential immigrants to come to Texas.

The easiest way? Butterflies cause things to go wrong for Bismarck. He still beats France and unites Germany, but due to widespread popular unrest he is forced to crack down hard, driving people from Germany.

Or maybe he even gets assassinated. That almost happened OTL (albeit prior to the Brothers War). The resulting chaos and instability during such a stage, where our nation has just been united, would also increase immigration.

Oh actually, I wonder what Marx's hot take on Kearny would be, you just know there's gonna be some Discourse(tm) tying "fuck yeah ending slavery, destroying the planter class" and also "what the fuck this is just Bonapartism again, god damn it" together into one Marxist analysis.

Oh actually, I wonder what Marx's hot take on Kearny would be, you just know there's gonna be some Discourse(tm) tying "fuck yeah ending slavery, destroying the planter class" and also "what the fuck this is just Bonapartism again, god damn it" together into one Marxist analysis.
Marxists would hate Kearny. The person a revolutionary hates most is not the reactionary, it's the reformist, because the latter proposes a viable alternatvie and in doing so proves that the revolutionary's rhetorik is bunk.

I don't wanted to wade into personal business but how exactly DID this timeline come back? sounds like a hell of a story on its own

Marxists would hate Kearny. The person a revolutionary hates most is not the reactionary, it's the reformist, because the latter proposes a viable alternatvie and in doing so proves that the revolutionary's rhetorik is bunk.
I mean I'm not sure how applicable this is? President Kearny and the National Union are undeniably a product of this civil war as a second American revolution, just as much as the Radical Republicans are. It's just, to Marx, that they took a sudden swerve into recuperating the revolution into different Northern power structures empowered by militant nationalism, pulling the revolutionary wave back after just/'just' shattering the antebellum political consensus and the old way of sectional-balancing political machines built on graft and an exclusively white man's republic. If it wasn't for this dynamic of push-and-pull with the Radical Republicans during the war and in these still volatile post-war years, then the National Union would (and almost certainly will in the future) likely descend into less spicy established politics similar to the OTL anti-reconstruction coalitions of liberal republicans and northern and upper south Bourbon democrats that eventually rebuilt the new democratic party into the 20th century.

Last edited:
One thing I'm really curious about is the rise and fall of National Union. It's clear from the hints of the future that they'll dominate the center of American politics in the postwar period, but will also be the face of the excesses of this timeline's Gilded Age. While there seems to be a viewpoint that Kearney eventually betrays the Radical Republicans, it's not like Reconstruction is rolled back. I suppose a combination of letting states like North Carolina be havens for minimal Reconstruction combined with staunch Radicals be locked out of the Kearney circle could do it, but who knows. What I do know is that all this seems to let the Radicals solidify their control of the Republicans and lets the Democrats go through a long road of reform into something better than an alliance of Urban machines and and Southern redeemers.

Perhaps its a combination of a lot of the Radical Republicans breaking from "Kearnyism" for its eager direct partnership with European imperialism and eventually souring on such a large military apparatus perpetuating such imperialist actions, and also the National Union eventually abandoning some key domestic planks accepting a like 'minimal' revolution in American society, in order to push through and entrench said giant military machine?

EDIT: Like I could definitely see the National Union being a lot more heterodox and fair weather about economics, compared to the pretty focused republican message into the Gilded Age of protective tariffs and railroad land grants and etc... as broadly industrializing the economy and creating jobs as just inherently good, and being about to like run this into the ground until the split between industrial labor and industrial capital becomes undeniable and inescapable.

Last edited:
Dear God! I have re-read the TL at last and filled several pages with foreshadowing I had forgotten about. Not sure how quickly I might get back to chapters but we'll see...