A Giant Sucking Sound: a President Perot TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
The metaphorical 800-pound gorilla in the room now is Pat Buchanan. What does he do?

Also, 1996 election prediction: no candidate receives a majority in the electoral college. The Freedom and Republican Parties, who are more-or-less in coalition, make a deal: the House will confirm Ross Perot back as President, but the Senate has to pick the Republican VP candidate as Vice President. Wackiness ensues.

Also, it'll be hilarious to hear the Freedom Party primary debates in 1999/2000. Ron Paul, Cynthia McKinney, John McCain and John Hagelin on the same stage?:D

¡ hi ! ¡ NICE PHOTOS !:cool:.

Yep, as for myself i can acept as a freedom party´s animal a green beaver, but i liked to see as freedom´s pet a green fox because how to say, are stolen all the chicken (votes) from the amreican´s farm;):D;).

Peace:).

Falkenburg

Monthly Donor
Surprised no one suggested the American Eagle as 'Spirit Animal' for the Freedom Party.

Rising above party divisions, clear-eyed, a deadly predator and soon to be endangered. :p

Falkenburg

The Property of a Lady (1994) is the seventeenth entry in the James Bond spy movies, and the third and last to star Timothy Dalton as the title character. The film was directed by Martin Campbell and is the first film made after the dissolution of the Soviet Union and the end of the Cold War, which provided a background for the plot, which was inspired by Ian Fleming’s short story The Property of A Lady, which had elements already used in the movie Octopussy.

The Property of a Lady was released after a five-year hiatus caused by legal disputes, with many rewritings of the initial script and almost leading actor Timothy Dalton to resign from the James Bond series. It is also the first movie to star Maggie Smith as M, Bond’s superior, becoming the first woman to play the part.

In this movie, James Bond travels to the reunified Germany along with BND agent Maria Freudenstein (Cameron Diaz), in order to infiltrate former KGB Director General Anatoly Oumourov (Anthony Hopkins) nuclear weapons trafficking ring, which has spread throughout Eastern Europe, even within the Western secret services, and is preparing to lead a coup in Russia.
The film has generated mixed reviews but barely managed to pay off its production cost.
-Quickypedia entry on The Property of a Lady (movie)

FORMER PRESIDENT PIERRE BUYOYA TAKES OVER IN BURUNDI IN A BLOODLESS COUP
-Washington Post, November, 25 1994

Buyoya.jpg

LUIS DONALDO COLOSIO INAUGURATED AS MEXICAN PRESIDENT
-New York Times, December, 1 1994

« We have now received news from our correspondant in Moscow : President Boris Yelstin has surprised the entire world by ordering the Russian army to move in the Chechen Republic, located in Northern Caucasus and that has been war-torn since its unilateral declaration of independance in 1991. This decision occurs after massive bombings in Chenchenya and after the Russian Ministry of Defence and Chechen leader Dzhokhar Dudayev had declared five days ago that the use of force was to be avoided. The Minister of Defence, Anatoly Kulikov, has declared that the goal of the army was « to establish constitutional order in Chechnya and to preserve the territorial integrity of Russia », and that the war would be easily winnable… »
-CNN, December, 11 1994

RUMOURS OF EXACTIONS IN BURUNDI AGAINST HUTUS
-Le Soir, December, 13 1994

« The rumours concerning President Buyoya in Burundi are nonsense. I have spoken with Mr. Buyoya soon after his installation as President, and he doesn’t wish to worsen the situation in Burundi as in Rwanda ; he was the architect of the transition from a Tutsi-held state apparatus to the Burundian Hutus, who form the majority of the population there. Of course, he has many things to do, as the Hutu soldiers fled en masse to Burundi and Uganda and troubled the country there, but I hope he will remain a just man. »
-Lt. Gen. Wesley Clark, US commander for Operation Righteous Strike, in a press conference at Nairobi, Kenya, December, 15 1994

OCHETTO RESIGNS AFTER VOTE OF NON-CONFIDENCE ; GIULIANO AMATO TO REPLACE HIM
-Corriere Della Sera, December, 16 1994

COLOSIO REVERSES SALINAS’ POLICIES AND DEVALUATES PESO ; CITES HYPERINFLATION, MASSIVE DIFFICULTIES AFTER NAFTA FAILURE
-Financial Times, December, 19 1994

Colosio.jpg

« President Colosio’s claims that it’s the non-ratification of the North American Free Trade Agreement that caused the Mexican economy to collapse and to fall out of investors is nonsense. First, the newly-inaugurated President is criticizing the American people for his decision to elect his colleague, President Perot. Second, he should rather keep on with his campaign promises of reform and blame instead the corrupt policies of his predecessor, Mr. Salinas. But I won’t dare to criticize another country’s internal policy. »
-Secretary of Commerce Warren Rudman (F-NH) on the Tonight Show with David Letterman, December, 22 1994

« We are interrupting this program as we have just received a report from our correspondant in Paris, France, where it is confirmed that a plane has just felt on the Eiffel Tower, at the level of the second floor, causing the tower to collapse under the high temperature on the heavy crowd, heavy as it is always on this period of Christmas vacation. I repeat, a plane has crashed on the Eiffel Tower in Paris, and the number of victims is yet to be determined. It is already established that the plane had been hijacked in Algiers by members of the Armed Islamic Group of Algeria… »
-CBS News, December, 26 1994

EiffelTower.jpg

MORE THAN 1.100 DEAD REPORTED AT EIFFEL TOWER ATTACK ; PRESIDENT FRANCOIS MITTERRAND CONDEMNS THE ATTACK AND CALLS ALGERIAN GOVERNMENT TO RESPOND
-New York Times, December 27 1994

PRESIDENT PEROT VISITS PARIS GROUND ZERO WITH PRIME MINISTER BALLADUR, PLEDGES TO SUPPORT FRANCE AT HIS BEST
-CNN, December, 28 1994

« It’s not my point to criticize the French government in the wake of this horrible tragedy, but this is revealing something terrible : Mr. Balladur is unfit to lead this country. Even at Christmas, when the lives of hundreds of people were at stake, he failed to give the right orders to stop these hijackers, when they considered to stop at Marseille. He didn’t take any action against Algeria either. I wonder to the French people : can we trust this man ? »
-Former French Prime Minister and RPR presidential candidate Jacques Chirac on TF1, December, 29 1994

« All my thoughts are far from enjoying the success of the Freedom Party in the polls, but are rather sad, as they go to France and its people. Hundreds of innocents, including American citizens, died in this terrible tragedy and reminded us that this world is far from being a peaceful one. What happened in December, 26 reminds us that, outside the United States, outside Somalia and Rwanda, there is still pending problems, as the civil war in Algeria, trigerred by fanatics who finally decided to attack the French people. I have spoken with President Miterrand and Prime Minister Balladur, and both don’t want to reteliate against Algeria, not wanting to spark violence in election times. They are wise to do so, and I respect their decision. »
-President Perot’s New Year Eve Address from the Oval Office, December, 31 1994

The Monument to the Victims of the December, 26 Attacks has been unveiled today, on the tenth anniversary of the attacks, by French President Lionel Jospin, at the other side of the Champ-de-Mars, exactly on the far opposite from the rebuilt Eiffel Tower. The monument has been realized by Jean-Michel Wilmotte and consists of a bronze sculpture representing the iconic picture of the Eiffel Tower split from the half and almost molten by kerosene, vowed to honor the memory of the 1157 victims of the December, 26 attack.

President Jospin was accompanied by his predecessors Valéry Giscard d’Estaing and Jacques Chirac, former Prime Ministers Edouard Balladur, Alain Juppé as well as current Prime Minister Dominique Strauss-Kahn. Among the foreign dignitaries were present British Prime Minister Michael Howard, Quebec President Louise Fréchette, German Chancellor Edmund Stoiber, Italian Prime Minister Gianfranco Fini, former US President Ross Perot and current US Vice President Bob Graham. The celebration was also the occasion to speak of the recent Eurocorps’ military interventions in Algeria, Serbia and Albania…
-New York Times, December, 26 2004

Last edited:
So...As a foreign AltHister, I have decided to strike my own country with a 9/11-like terrorist attack... But at least, France is back. For the best or the worse. Plenty of hints are to be read in the last note.

vultan - Buchanan is ready to raise hell in the next Republican convention. The candidates will appear throughout the year 1995, watch out. As of the next Freedom Party primaries, I already have some crazy plans...

nerdknight01 - Hmmmm, interesting!

Falkenburg - Taking an eagle as symbol is sooooooooo Yankee.

Could anybody in my readers make me a bumper sticker or a badge-like picture representing the logo of the Freedom Party, with a badger on it? A nice one, please. On the flavor of the Republican and Democrat symbols.

You couldn't have released the Dec. 26 attack a day later, eh?
Intervening in Algeria during the civil war won't be pretty.
« President Colosio’s claims that it’s the non-ratification of the North American Free Trade Agreement that caused the Mexican economy to collapse and to fall out of investors is nonsense. First, the newly-inaugurated President is criticizing the American people for his decision to elect his colleague, President Perot. Second, he should rather keep on with his campaign promises of reform and blame instead the corrupt policies of his predecessor, Mr. Salinas. But I won’t dare to criticize another country’s internal policy. »
-Secretary of Commerce Warren Rudman (F-NH) on the Tonight Show with David Letterman, December, 22 1994
Heh. At least Colosio is alive... And an independent Quebec! That's what got me into this site in the first place!
Keep it up!

Last edited:
While generally a good update, I have to question how 2300 people could die crashing a plane into the Eifel Tower? There are never anywhere near that many people in the structure...

Also regarding your PM, I'm sorry but I don't know how long it takes to get a PhD in psychology...

While generally a good update, I have to question how 2300 people could die crashing a plane into the Eifel Tower? There are never anywhere near that many people in the structure...

Also regarding your PM, I'm sorry but I don't know how long it takes to get a PhD in psychology...
There are a lot of tourists under the tower. I don't know how many, though.

Maybe the airplane run don't end with the tower but after destroy it some parts continue to the city causing additional damage, fire etc.etc.

Reduced the death toll from 2500 to 1100. The equation is pretty simple, actually: we already have a hundred-odd people aboard the plane, maybe a hundred or two already climbing the tower, and eight hundred or so people waiting for climbing. Not only in average periods, as a Parisian people who just loves to walk around the Champ de Mars, the crowd spreads to each leg of the tower, but during Christmas' vacations, it would just turn insane. The Eiffel Tower is located in a very large place, with the Champ de Mars lawns at the north, and the next buildings being quite far from the place.

A plane thrown to the tower would result at a mass hysteria first, putting null and void the evacuation process. Hitting the tower in the middle, it would immediately collapse, with the kerosene melting the steel, and all people under the tower would be trapped. It would be a major disaster.

As of the date, it was on December, 26 that the airplane landed on Marseille, after intensive negotiations between the governments from France and Algeria to have the plane land on French soil so the French special forces could intervene, and luring the hijackers into believing that they could refuel the plane there. Their plans was really to have the tanks full so they could make maximum damage when they blew up their plane; and France was the GIA's target, against the special relationship between France and Algeria. The POD here is that the plane was already refueled in Algiers and that instead to go to Marseille, the hijackers keep bluffing so they can have an authorization to takeoff. Balladur refuses in election times to have the plane shot down, and it gets worse.

The Eiffel Tower was said to be the hijackers' final target. The Montparnasse Tower has an infamous name in Paris, as "Paris' phallic symbol", and it's mostly a building of offices and a commercial center. An attack on the Eiffel Tower would be as spectacular as the 9/11 attacks and cause terrible outrage throughout the world.

The results on the 1995 presidential election would be interesting. Jospin still doesn't have a chance: succeeding Mitterrand after two terms is impossible, he always have had the reputation of a poor campaigner and most of the pollsters then believed in a Chirac-Balladur standoff. Balladur, already disgraced by his poor campaigning, would be accused not to have done anything to prevent the tragedy, while Chirac would use the breakthrough; if something Gaullist remains in Chirac, it's his internationalist foreign policy, added to his political beast status. He's not a hawk, but he has to, he would dare to become one.

Yes, as a convinced partisan of Europe, the European Union will be quite developed ITTL. ;)

BRAZILIAN, ARGENTINIAN STOCK MARKETS STRICKEN BY TEQUILA EFFECT, MEXICAN CRISIS MAKE LATIN AMERICAN ECONOMY COLLAPSE
-Financial Times, January, 2 1995

Perot21.jpg

The President’s main focus at the beginning of the 1995, besides the inauguration of the new Congress, was the creation of the WTO ; even if he was against free trade and for a more protectionist economy, he used to say Secretary of Commerce Rudman and Secretary of the Treasury Rohatyn that it was a necessary evil and another way to cooperate with the Third World.

I was with Ed Rollins drafting his State of the Union speech then Hill Harper, who was then a new staffer who had just entered my office, asked to the President :

-Do you plan to speak of a plan of relief to the Mexican economy ?

Ed Rollins rolled his eyes and sighed : knowing President Perot, he already knew that he could say nothing ; in fact, he haven’t said a thing for eighteen months, since he succeeded Tom Luce who could have a bit of influence of the President. On my part, I tried to make a sign to Harper, telling him not to infuriate the President. The latter looked Harper straight at the eyes, and said with a neutral voice :

-What is your name, young man ?
-Francis Harper, Sir. But you can call me Hill.
-How did you came here, Hill ? Here in the White House ?
-Well, after my studies, I wanted to help the Freedom Party, Sir, and I obtained a job of staffer in the White House.
-What studies have you done, and where ?
-Harvard Law School, Sir.
-So you didn’t studied international or trade relations, do you ?

Harper said nothing, waiting for the President’s reaction.

-How dare you tell me what I have to deal with ?
-« Well… » Harper was fearing for his job, I could say it. Ed Rollins said nothing at this point. « I was always told that the stability of Mexico was crucial to the United States, as his best ally in Latin America but also his immediate neighbour. If the Mexican economy collapse, the United States should be ready to everything to prevent it, shouldn’t they ? »

President Perot nodded, and stood up. Without looking at any moment at Harper, he began to walk around the Oval Office.

-Well, young man, it seems that you are still too idealistic to actually serve at this position, but you are here to learn, aren’t you ? Let’s take a look at what is occurring in Mexico. First : Mexico is our best neighbour, but it’s also the first place much of the hard drugs come from, the ones that corrupt our youth. When I was inaugurated, I came to Mexico and offered Salinas a fortune if he came into open conflict with the narco-traffickers. He told me to fuck off, and I know his successor is too much focused on political reforms to think to that matter. Second, this Colosio guy’s first declaration is to put the blame on the NAFTA dismantlement ! Did I said that it was his predecessor’s fault ? I ran the election on the issue of free trade, and now I have this Chicano criticizing me. And third, Colosio is the last scion of a so-called single-party democracy that has held Mexico for 74 years. If his term doesn’t go so well, and if it can help things to change, when we will help the cause of democracy. Fourth, if things go terribly awry in Mexico, we will still have our assets on oil there, and our boys ready to intervene. Fifth, it’s precisely because I already spent my money on Somalia and Rwanda, respectively because Bush wanted to and because I needed to, and that I am speaking with the Republicans to have my reforms passed, now I will not send US income to a corrupt country.

He finally sat down and said with a big laugh :

-And as a Texan, if he we get a 52nd state in Mexico, I wouldn’t be upset, to the contrary.

He then dismissed everybody in the room. Harper said nothing, he was too happy not to have been fired on the spot. The President asked me to stay, he sat to the Resolute Desk with his files and said privately to me :

-Tell the black guy to come more and more to the reunions. He’s idealistic, but he’s tough, he’s smart and he has the guts to speak loud before me. He must be the only one in this damned staff to do so. I like it. This dude will go far.
-From The President’s Son-in-Law : Memoirs from Washington, by former White House Counsel Clay Mulford

« President Perot was such a great President but yes, he had a terrible temper. It was not easy to deal with him, but I was not the only staffer who could claim good working relations with him. »
-Former Vice President of the United States Hill Harper (F-IA), interviewed on CNN, September, 8 2011

« You see, I was the Drug Czar for the late President Bush and I know that if President Perot appointed me to Mexico, it was because of the drugs problem. So, I’m sitting on this problem at any time.

-But do you think President Colosio will take on the narco-traffickers on the near future ?

-Frankly, I think not. First, he has his hands tied by his own party, and he has the internal reforms and the economic crisis to deal with, and there are rumours of popular uprising in the south. So the drugs problem is not his current main task. Second… Well, I’m disagreeing there with President Perot, but a war on drugs would be a disaster for Mexico. The Mexican drug-traffickers aren’t producers, but actually control the road to the United States and make everything to stand on it. They have enough manpower and money to counter all the official attempts, by deadly force or by corruption. A Mexican war on drugs would turn the country into another Colombia. »
-Former Governor of Florida and current US Ambassador to Mexico Bob Martinez at Politics with Chris Matthews, January, 13 1995

7.2 EARTHQUAKE HITS KOBE, JAPAN ; CITY DESTROYED
-Los Angeles Times, January, 17 1995

« I have been in politics for more than thirty years, and I have never seen such a level of incompetence in the Perot administration or the current Democratic Party. Why does the Dems keep losing each presidential election ? I will tell you why : because they refuse to deal with the real issues, the social ones, and because they have turned away from their faith and pride. (applause) The politicos always said that I would never run than on a single issue, the pro-life one. But I’m running for President of the United States, and this, I will do on all this issues. And I’m gonna win. »
-Fmr. Gov. Robert P. Casey, Sr. (D-PA), at a meeting in Philadelphia, PA, January, 21 1995

RobertCasey-150.jpg

« Now, speaking of the current crisis in Mexico : let it be clear, it’s not the task of the US Treasury to relieve the Mexican economy. I… (shouts and boos from the Democratic bench) Let me finish ! I think we already have our own problems at home and that President Luis Donaldo Colosio, whom I had on the phone yesterday, prefers to take matters on his own hands. Plus, we should force this country to ponder on his current state of affairs, on his democracy. And I can already tell you that I will veto, without any negotiation, any proposal of relief package to Mexico. (A Representative, later identified as Luis Gutierrez (D-IL-4) : « You crook ! ») WHAT ?! (boos and shouts from the Freedomite bench) WHO SAID THAT ?! »
- President Ross Perot’s Second State of the Union Address, January, 24 1995

SEC. TREAS. ROHATYN GOES TO MEXICO CITY
-Financial Times, January, 31 1995

« You know that they say : if it doesn’t work on the first time, when try it again, but do it straight. That’s why I can announce you that I’m running for President of the United States in 1996. (applause from the audience)

-What do you have against the Perot administration ?

-Many things. But mostly its completely erratic foreign policies. Refusing to help Mexico, but playing the peacekeepers in Africa ? Urging the French to retaliate against Algeria while they don’t want to ? Pressuring Russia to disarm their nuclear programme while they have other problems to deal with ? Me, I’m someone coherent, and it’s not President Perot’s case.

-And will you stop to be a gaffe machine for a while ? (laughs from the audience)

-Well, I promise not to steal a foreign Leader of the Opposition’s biography this time. I will take Jean Chrétien’s instead : he, at least, has won an election. (laughs from the audience) »
-Sen. Joe Biden (D-DE), on The Tonight Show with David Letterman, February, 5 1995

Biden.jpg

COLOSIO ANNOUNCES NEW PESO DEVALUATION
-La Prensa, February, 11 1995

« I defeated the current Vice-President fourteen years ago, I have served on the same positions he had, and not only he has betrayed his own party, but he’s supporting a policy that is bringing the US budget and our political system to his knees. Now I’m taking the arms again against Jerry Brown. But not to become Vice President, but for the rank just above. And I will win and restore the pride of the American people. »​
-Gov. Pete Wilson (R-CA) at a campaign meeting in New York City, NY, February, 12 1995

Wilson.jpg

« 1996 was already important to me as I was leaving the Executive Mansion in Indianapolis, but now it will be as twice as important to me. This country needs a true change, with a new face, a younger leadership that could understand the current issues and deal with them, but also find out what our economy needs, instead of voodoo economics for on and on. That’s why I’m running for President of these great United States of America ! »​
-Gov. Evan Bayh (D-IN), at a campaign rally in Indianapolis, IN, Feburary, 12 1995

Bayh.jpg

« Not only I will be leaving Senate next year, but I’m also planning to make a run for President of the United States. The major problem of the Democratic Party these last dozen years was that they presented pacifist candidates, while the world we live in is far from being a peaceful place, where no one has to defend itself. I will be the Democratic candidate with teeth, and I will be the best qualified candidate to the White House. »​
-Sen. Sam Nunn (D-GA), interviewed by Times Magazine, Feburary, 22 1995

Nunn.jpg

« Many people elected Ross Perot on the economy issue two years ago, but not only he didn’t have a majority, but he just blew up the case, remaining stubborn on the Balanced Budget Amendment, crashing the free trade agreement this country needed and spending the budget instead for the Internet, for Rwanda or all these sort of things. Do you call that a good economist ? Oh, that, and the fact President Perot doesn’t have a clue on social issues. Or he goes against NAFTA, or he blows up the Second Amendment. I’m a Texan too, President Perot, and I’m from Dallas like you. But I’m the one who understands better the current issues, and I’m the one who is fit to serve in the Oval Office ! »​
-Sen. Phil Gramm (R-TX) at a meeting in Houston, TX, Feburary, 24 1995

Gramm.jpg

« Pemex always was, and still remains, the symbol of our independance, our national pride and our destiny, but in the current state of affairs, we cannot continue to have such a burden on our economy, even if oil remains one of our best assets here in Mexico. I have consulted with Secretary of Finance Ernesto Zedillo Ponce de Leon so he could put in place the necessary process to privatise Pemex… »​
-President Luis Donaldo Colosio’s televised address to the Mexican nation, February, 27 1995

« And then I wondered : why not me ? »​
-Fmr. Gov. and Fmr. Secretary of Education Lamar Alexander (R-TN), on Meet the Press, Feburary, 28 1995

Alexander.jpg

NEO-ZAPATISTA REBELS PEACEFULLY TAKE OVER MAJOR TOWNS IN CHIAPAS ; ASK FOR AGRARIAN REFORM AND EQUALITY FOR INDIAN PEASENTS​
-Washington Post, March, 1 1995

IN SPITE OF ZAPATISTA UPRISING, WORLDWIDE OIL COMPAGNIES RUSH ON PEMEX SHARES​
-Financial Times, March, 3 1995

Dallas, TX. Former Secretary of Defense and Halliburton CEO Richard Bruce « Dick » Cheney died last Friday of a heart attack in his home at Dallas, at 59, after a long story of heart problems.

Cheney began his political career as staffer in the Nixon administration, eventually rising to Chief of Staff under Ford, succeeding to Donald Rumsfeld. He then represented Wyoming’s At-Large District in the House of Representatives from 1979 to 1989, rising to the position of Minority Whip before being tipped to become Bush’s Secretary of Defense, in which he served during the whole administration, serving during events such as the First Gulf War or the dissolution of the Soviet Bloc.

Although he was for some time mentioned as a probable candidate for the 1996 Republican nomination, he turned instead to private sector, eventually becoming CEO of Halliburton ; his most prominent achievement was his massive buying of shares from the Mexican oil company Pemex, which was just in the privatization process. To this day, Halliburton remains the main controller of Mexican oil.

The Bush family, such as George W. Bush or Republican presidential candidate, Gov. Jeb Bush of Florida, have expressed their condoleances towards the Cheney family.​
-Newsweek, November, 20 2000

Presidential candidates as of March, 1995:

Freedom:
Incumbent Ross Perot (TX)

Democrats:

Fmr. Gov. Robert P. Casey (PA)
Sen. Joe Biden (DE)
Gov. Evan Bayh (IN)
Sen. Sam Nunn (GA)

Republicans:
Gov. Pete Wilson (CA)
Sen. Phil Gramm (TX)
Fmr. Gov. and former Secretary of Education Lamar Alexander (TN)

Why isn't Governor Richards running? Seems as if she can get by another two years dealing with the conservative Texas State Legislature, she deserves to be the first female to candidate to try to have a legitimate shot at winning the nomination.

If Perot were to receive a primary challenge, I know who it would be by...Dick Lamm.
The guy tried to run OTL on the Reform Party in 1996, but Perot rather dickishly pulled the rug from under him.

BTW, what's Ed Zschau doing?

UN WITHDRAWAL FROM SOMALIA ENDS ; SECRETARY GENERAL BOUTROS-GHALI HAILS AN « HUMANITARIAN VICTORY »​
-New York Times, March, 5 1995

« Ross Perot pretended three years ago that he was the true face of change. And what has changed now ? I tell you : nothing ! People are poorer and poorer while the businessmen from which Perot comes from get richer and richer ! President Perot took an African American war hero, General Powell, to become his Secretary of Defense and not be accused of racism ; and now, he’s pushing for a new form of colonialism in Africa. This has to change : this is why I’m running for the third time for President of the United States ! »​
-Shadow Senator for the District of Columbia, Rev. Jesse Jackson (D-IL), in a NAACP rally in Atlanta, GA, March, 8 1995
PerotJackson.jpg

:)p)

« President Perot has lost the people’s support and as been unwise in many things. I supported him in his efforts of bipartisanship at first, but he wants now to wreck the American political system. This country needs a new leader : not only I will be running once again for being the Senator from Massachusetts, but I will also run for the top office ! »​
-Sen. John Kerry (D-MA), speaking at Larry King Live, March, 14 1995

Kerry.jpg

« You know, John, there were folks who said that I had more luck in Perot’s so-called third party, as it would give me enough room to speak out my views, and as Perot was anti-establishment. But there is no one who is closer to the establishment than the businessman Perot, who has made more to spend our money and commit our troops abroad on unneeded fights than all the Democratic presidents since Woodrow Wilson ! Plus, Perot has something that drives him closer to the establishment : he’s as incompetent as them. In fact, what I would do in a stillborn party filled by communists and opportunists ?

-So, who should be fit to serve ?

-Me. Because I’m running for President of these Great United States of America, and I will win this time and bring back our true valors to the White House !​
-Pat Buchanan (R-VA) on the McLaughlin Group, March, 19 1995

buchanan.jpg

EXPLOSION REPORTED IN TOKYO SUBWAY​
-CNN Breaking News, March, 20 1995

TOKYO SUBWAY INCIDENT REPORTED TO BE A GAS ATTACK​
-CNN Breaking News, March, 20 1995

Sarin.jpg

« The terrorist attack perpetrated in several lines of the Tokyo Metro was carried using sarin gas, which has been recognized as a chemical weapon of mass destruction by the 1993 Chemical Weapons Convention. A dozen people died in the attacks, and more than a thousand were wounded. All sources indicate that the Aum Shinrikyo movement, a religious cult, is to be blamed for the attacks. Although the Japanese police conducted many perquisitions on the cult’s headquarters, revealing an impressive and deadly arsenal, its leader, Shoko Asahara, is still on the loose and threatening to make more and more victims to bring on Doomsday. All American residents in Japan should now be very careful and avoid crowded and public areas… »​
-Press conference from US Ambassador to Japan Richard Holbrooke, March, 21 1995

« *sigh* Yes, Mr. President, I’m sure. This Japanese cult has no relation with Saddam. »​
-Overheard phone conversation to the Oval Office from CIA Director James Clapper

« While it was barely beginning to be embroiled in the military quagmire that the First Chechen War was, the Russian Army was hit by another scandal, this time coming from Japan. The Japanese police searches that followed the Tokyo sarin gas attacks, conducted at the Aum Shirinkyo headquarters, proved that the cult had an extensive military arsenal, ranging from assault rifles to explosives, and even helicopters and biological warfare agents. And most of that material was of Russian origin.

The inquiry was pretty easy : the lack of confidence in the Russian army triggered by the 1993 coup attempt pretty matched with the time Shoko Asahara, the cult leader, expressed concerns over his capacity to defend himself from the Japanese government and to accelerate the process leading to the doomsday he predicted. The Aum cult was heavily recruiting in Eastern Russia, helping establishment of contacts ; as of buying military material, the cult had plenty of money, and rogue Russian generals were always complaining from the low pay they received from Moscow.

At the Aum Shirinkyo headquarters, many Russian army cannisters were found, used primarily for chemical warfare, coming from the secret Soviet stocks, ranging from Ebola to Anthrax. The cannisters were empty, making the police believe that the cult members were on the loose and dangerous, and many infected prisoners were found in their cells at the headquarters, visibly subjects to medical experimentations. Even the material the cult used for producing drugs was of Russian origin.

Russian military police arrested dozens of corrupt officers, garrisonned in Siberia, who admitted to have sold military supplies to Japanese individuals ; but the Ministry of Defense had to issue an apology to the Japanese government when it was confirmed that strong levels of radioactivity had been detected in the Aum Shirinkyo offices, proving they had bought a nuclear weapon…​
-From Democratic Hiatus : Russia under Yelstin, by Former Ambassador Condoleezza Rice, Ph.D., Professor of Political Science at Stanford University

JAPANESE CULT LEADER VOWS « TO BRING EARLY THE END OF TIMES » IN WRITTEN MANIFESTO​
-Los Angeles Times, March, 23 1995

ShokoAsahara.jpg

« If Mr. Perot managed to be elected President and to get such approval for his new party, it’s because many Americans were dissatisfied by both parties : first the ineffectiveness of the Democratic Party, but above all the constant right turn taken by the Republican Party for these last twenty years. We are maybe the party of Reagan, but we are also the party of Lincoln, of Teddy Roosevelt and of Rockefeller. It’s to avoid for this particular wing to fall into oblivion and to give it a true standard-bearer that I will become candidate to the Republican nomination, and hopefully candidate to the United States presidency. »​
-Fmr. Gov. John R. McKernan, Jr. (R-ME), at a campaign rally at Portland, ME, March, 25 1995

mckernan.gif

TOKYO POST OFFICE WORKER INFECTED BY ANTHRAX-FILLED LETTER ADRESSED TO NHK OFFICES​
-Asahi Shimbun, March, 27 1995

WILSON-BUCHANAN NECK-TO-NECK FOR GOP NOMINATION LEADING SPOT ; NO FRONTRUNNER EMERGES FROM THE DEMS ; PEROT’S APPROVAL RATING REMAINS STEADY​
-Washington Post, March, 29 1995

DOZENS OF INDIVIDUALS FROM POLITICS, ENTERTAINMENT, TELEVISION OR PRESS TARGETED BY AUM ANTHRAX CAMPAIGN ; TERROR REIGNS IN JAPAN​
-New York Times, April, 1 1995

« I can confirm that one of my staffers has been victim of an anthrax letter that was adressed to me. I address my deepest apologies to his family in the United States and his friends both in America and in Japan, and I can assure you that Mr. Thomas Kerner has received extensive care after being taken in charge by Japanese hospitals. »​
-Press conference from US Ambassador to Japan Richard Holbrooke, April, 1 1995

PROTECTIONIST PACKAGE PASSES SENATE WITH BIPARTISAN SUPPORT ; TAXES LOWERED ON US PRODUCTS, RAISED ON IMPORTS, RUDMAN : « BUY AMERICAN ! »​
-Washington Post, April, 3 1995

The anthrax terror campaign waged by the Aum Shirinkyo cult claims a fourth victim, this time a prominent MP, former Minister of Health and Welfare, former Minister of Post and Telecommunications, who had opened his mail by himself on the first day of the letter attacks. Representing Kanagawa’s 11th District since 1994 for the LDP, and before that the 2nd District from 1972 to 1994, Junichiro Koizumi came a prominent political family and was promised to higher positions in the near future. We at the redaction address our deepest condoleances to his family.​
-Asahi Shimbun, April, 8 1995

Status
Not open for further replies.