A German (Nazi)/Japanese monarchy ?

MaxGerke01

Banned
So in the 1945 short story We Adolf I Laszlo Gaspar wrote a short story where the Nazis won at Stalingrad leading to Adolf Hitler declaring himself emperor of the world. The Nazis build an imperial palace for him in Berlin featuring architectural elements from the Eiffel Tower and the Statue of Liberty.But in regard to the question here in the course of the story Adolf Hitler enters into a dynastic marriage with the Japanese Imperial Princess in a effort to produce a Fascist heir to rule the world after Hitler.So the question is was this pure science fiction speculation from the time before there was full information about the Nazi and Japanese regimes or was such a union between any members of the 2 regimes ever actually considered? If it happened how could that have played out in an Axis victory scenario?

Last edited:
Totally ASB. It's a certainly unique concept, but one that has an incredibly long list of obstacles before it can happen.

Last edited:
Interesting, but would never happen IOTL..

A win at Stalingrad is a long shot that doesn’t really guarantee winning the war.

There’s almost no reason to believe Hitler would adopt the trappings of a hereditary monarch and declare himself an Emperor in the aristocratic tradition. Sure he was the leader of the Reich, which has connotations of empire, but it’s a bit more complicated than that and he thought of himself more as the physical manifestation of the Germanic völk and it’s avatar on Earth rather than of being of a noble blood individually. Besides, he was never really committed to a family for himself, Eva Braun testified that he essentially viewed his entire existence as being a sort of servant to the “Germanic race”, not really something that lends itself well to declaring oneself and your bloodline to hold an imperial title en perpetua.

A somewhat minor point when compared with the rest of the timeline you outline, but Hitler had his city of Germania (to replace Berlin) obsessively planned with Albert Speer and his ‘palace’ was not going to consciously incorporate French and American public symbols. Much less ones dedicated to liberal republicanism.

Ignoring the fact that Hitler already had a wife and was not really interested in a Hitlerian ‘family line’ and would probably never have children had he survived, there’s a huge number of issues between a Germano-Japanese Union. Firstly.. how would that function? Even if the Japanese and Germans could or would actually divide formerly Soviet Siberia in half and actually establish a land border (which I strongly doubt), it’s entirely implausible. Where would the capital be? How would German and Japanese administration even cooperate? The administration of the Kokutai was very different from the a government run on the Führerprinzip and bureaucratic anarchy, and geographic space makes it even further impossible. The Japanese would have to submit their Emperor under Hitler or Hitler would have to submit himself under their Emperor which is not going to happen. Nazi racial distinctions towards the Japanese were more of a thing of realpolitik than any really held belief about the inherent qualities of the Japanese (Nazi racial pseudoscience was malleable at times to political circumstances, like with the foreign Waffen-SS volunteers). Also, even if the implausible establishment of world spheres for the Germans and Japanese came to pass, they’d more likely be rivals than indifferent, let alone friends or especially unification.

Lastly, it sort of implies a ‘fascist solidarity’ that existed between the imperial regime in Tokyo and the Nazis, or even the Italians for that matter. While IIRC some ideas of ideological kinship existed between Italy and Germany, I don’t believe this really applied to the Japanese at all. The Japanese did not conceive of themselves as ideologically fascist, I think it’s more of a historiographical classification, and the idea that Shōwa statism constituted something that can even be properly called fascist in the European sense is somewhat controversial. There certainly was an overlap of ideas though, for instance the concept of shinkoku dovetailed nicely with the Nazi application of metaphysical essentialism of a nations qualities. With that being said, regardless of historiographical constructs pertaining to the three ‘Axis powers’, I think to a Nazi or Japanese official the differences were quite pronounced. So the idea that the Japanese and Germans would even agree to produce a ‘fascist heir to rule the world’ has a lot of problems with it aside from purely material.

So yeah, essentially entirely ASB for a number of reasons. I’m sure it’s a fun read though, I’ll go check it out!

Last edited:
This scenario is totally ASB. I doubt that even author believe to his story.

1. Hitler and nazids were fully anti-monarchists. Hitler never ever would declare himself as kaiser.
2. Even if Hitler would put his anti-monarchist view aside, no one wouldn't support him. No army, no monarchists, no nobility. He is going to face quick coup d'etat and probably is executed.
3. Declaring himself as emperor of the world is really ridicolous. Even if Soviet Union falls after Stalingrad, they are not going to win Wallies.
4. Berlin can't suppor tmuch of massive aschitecture due its soft soil. Whole WELTPHAUPTSTADT Germania was just crazy fantasy of Albert Speer.- Even his father, who was too architect, commented his son being crazy.
5. Not way that Hitler would be allowed marry someone non-Aryan even if Japan is ally. And German vitory at Stalingrad wouldn't help Japan much anyway.

Well they were declared Honorary Aryans to justify the alliance werent they ?

True, but not sure if it is enough for hard-line nazis like Himmler.

And problem is that Japan probably still loses to USA. This might affect to views of Japanese people on German eyes. Probabably on such case Hitler would marry Italian princess or then just decide go with moganatic path and mnarry Eva Braun.

So in the 1945 short story We Adolf I Laszlo Gaspar wrote a short story where the Nazis won at Stalingrad leading to Adolf Hitler declaring himself emperor of the world. The Nazis build an imperial palace for him in Berlin featuring architectural elements from the Eiffel Tower and the Statue of Liberty.But in regard to the question here in the course of the story Adolf Hitler enters into a dynastic marriage with the Japanese Imperial Princess in a effort to produce a Fascist heir to rule the world after Hitler.So the question is was this pure science fiction speculation from the time before there was full information about the Nazi and Japanese regimes or was such a union between any members of the 2 regimes ever actually considered? If it happened how could that have played out in an Axis victory scenario?
Would the child of such a union even be in line for the Imperial Throne?

MaxGerke01

Banned
Lastly, it sort of implies a ‘fascist solidarity’ that existed between the imperial regime in Tokyo and the Nazis, or even the Italians for that matter. While IIRC some ideas of ideological kinship existed between Italy and Germany, I don’t believe this really applied to the Japanese at all. The Japanese did not conceive of themselves as ideologically fascist, I think it’s more of a historiographical classification, and the idea that Shōwa statism constituted something that can even be properly called fascist in the European sense is somewhat controversial. There certainly was an overlap of ideas though, for instance the concept of shinkoku dovetailed nicely with the Nazi application of metaphysical essentialism of a nations qualities. With that being said, regardless of historiographical constructs pertaining to the three ‘Axis powers’, I think to a Nazi or Japanese official the differences were quite pronounced.
I think its understandable why someone from 1945 might see it that way as they had the very recent example of Germany and Italy declaring war on the US after Pearl Harbor. Also from their perspective some of what happened pre and post 1939 could be considered as somewhat coordinated between the 3 powers-no matter how badly most of it turned out especially in the case of Italy.

MaxGerke01

Banned
Well as unlikely as it is he would marry a Japanese woman I think if he had managed to win that might have changed his ideas about wanting children.Its hard to imagine Hitler thinking anyone other than someone with his bloodline could take over AND do as good a job as him once he was gone..