A Gentle Breeze - A Discussion

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: After 1900' started by ShockTrooper262, Dec 31, 2018.

1. ShockTrooper262 Well-Known Member

Yeah it is, though this one is slightly changed than OTLs.

I think that could be blamed on the wind though.

WaterproofPotatoes likes this.
  2. WaterproofPotatoes #TeamMahan

I see Percy Scott's work is also being taken much more seriously by the RN... that could have some sweeping effects. Firstly, with more and better directors and firing tables, the RN will be able to hit more, especially with the technology trickling down to cruisers sooner. With gunnery being better, the need to increase the rate of fire at all costs is greatly diminished, which makes bad handling practices less likely to be tolerated, let alone encouraged, which in turn, means fewer self-detonating battlecruisers.

ShockTrooper262 likes this.
  3. Threadmarks: Question.

ShockTrooper262 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about re-doing my ships lists in the morning from just numbers, to more of a Wiki style.

Short Example: instead of listing out QE: 6, I'd do more so: Queen Elizabeth, Construction Date, Commission Date, Fate: x and probably detail any TL changes like armament or speed/weight.

Longer Example:

USS New Mexico

Laid down: 14 August 1915

Commissioned: 20 March 1918

Armament: 8x 16/45 Mk I Gun

Displacement: 32,000 tons

Fate: Scraped 1946, 2x Guns Located at USN Naval Museum

Of course, that's the only spoiler you're gonna see about fates, until they of course are talked about

4. WaterproofPotatoes #TeamMahan

I like that! Maybe include L x W x D dimensions to give a sense of scale, as well as reflect changes over OTL as well.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  5. ShockTrooper262 Well-Known Member

Hm, you know what yeah I think that's what I'll do when I wake up sometime after 10' tomorrow.

6. Threadmarks: Royal Navy Capital Ships (1914-15)

This is the current of all Dreadnaught and Battlecruisers in the Royal Navy as of January 1915.

Ships on order post January and of the 'large light cruiser' category are omitted, as well as pre-dreadnaughts.

Those will be on a second list, and will be out asap.

List Of Capital Ships Royal Navy

7. WaterproofPotatoes #TeamMahan

That's a tasty looking list there!

No Revenge class I see- I'm very interested to see what gets built in their stead!

8. ShockTrooper262 Well-Known Member

Oops, that's my bad. They are being built, though with a few modifications.

9. Threadmarks: US Army Equipment 1915

upload_2019-6-8_21-8-42.png

In order from rifle to MGs:

M1914 Enfield, M1915 Air Enfield

M1903 Springfield, M1903 Air-Service Springfield

M1912 Lewis Gun, M1912A1 Lewis Gun, M1912A2 Aircraft Mounted Lewis Gun

Source: Darth Panda for the base models of the M1914 and Lewis Gun. The rest were modified by ShockTrooper262

10. Threadmarks: Queen Elizabeth Class as Designed

upload_2019-6-9_0-24-39.png

10x 15" Guns

12x 6" Guns

8x 12mm Vickers Mount*

Some unique gear omitted due to war time constraints, see Admiralty Report 192-12

11. Threadmarks: English Equipment December 1914-March 1915

upload_2019-6-9_18-58-1.png

From Rifles down:

Lee-Enfield Mk III

Pattern 1914 Enfield

M1914 Lewis Gun

.455 and .45 Webley Mk VI and V Revolvers

Aircraft Mounted Lewis-Vickers Machine Gun

Lewis-Vickers Light Weight Machine Gun

*Special and MMG/HMGs omitted from list

12. Threadmarks: USN 1914 List

The naval lists are going to be updated over the next few days, but as of now the USN of 1914 and Feb 1915 are up on the same sheet as the RN.

Again if anyone need the link: it's here

13. WaterproofPotatoes #TeamMahan

I see the USN has gotten into the battlecruiser game early TTL, rather than standardizing on a slow but hard-hitting and heavily protected battle line and relying on armoured cruisers for scouting.

Their naming convention (states) and hull symbol (BC rather than CC) also indicate, if I have it right, that they are expected to work closely with the battle fleet.

As for their construction, it looks like they're a hybrid between the priorities of British and Japanese battlecruisers (Speed > Firepower > Armour) and German battlecruisers (Speed > Armour > Firepower). They are much faster than the line BBs, but not quite as fast as contemporary British battlecruisers, and mount almost the same number of heavy guns. Based on the displacement, I'm guessing one less turret and slightly lower speed are traded for better but not battleship level armour?

14. ShockTrooper262 Well-Known Member

You are correct, though most of the battlecruisers are relatively new, and the doctrine hasn't really been tested.

Some of the USN want to use them as ACR leaders, and the officers who have been watching the RN work, want to use them in the battleline as hard hitting but not as armored battleships.

As of now 2 are patrolling the Pacific, as the Kongo's have perhaps scared some of the USN just a tiny bit. Though the Constitution Class are being designed, they may be redesigned as the USN figures out a role for them.