A Few Acres of Snow: A Map and Graphic Timeline

View attachment 747996
(Abbreviations same as in above infoboxes)

A few questions here (great work BTW)

One is Les Rocheuses being an internal territory. Their population is clearly too small to be a state, but everything else out there seems to be a Autonomous region of some kind. Is there a reason for this? White majority? Unable to decide who gets it?

Two is the question of Pacific Access. You mention acquiring Manitoba was this towards an unfufilled goal going from sea to sea? Was there a west coast state open enough for Canada to engage freely there.

Third is also related to water and trade. Locks connecting the Great lakes were largely finished by the 1850s IOTL, with 1848 being the year the Illinois and Michigan Canal connected the Mississippi Basin and the Lakes. However the Saint Lawrence Seaway, which connected the Atlantic and the Lakes didn't come about until 1954. Given the unity not ITTL, and the greater incentives for connectivity between the Atlantic and New Orleans do you think a unified canal plan would occur?

Finally, the Capital of Lafayette. Can't help but notice it was founded just after the founding of the Republic. Was this an attempt to break with the royal association of the old capital (which I presume was either Quebec or Montreal)? Also you imply an attempted Louisiana secession around this time, was moving the capital to a more central location a strategy to deal with an independently minded hinterland?

A few questions here (great work BTW)

One is Les Rocheuses being an internal territory. Their population is clearly too small to be a state, but everything else out there seems to be a Autonomous region of some kind. Is there a reason for this? White majority? Unable to decide who gets it?
Yes, it's a territory instead of an autonomous region because it isn't tribal land and has a white majority (the autonomous region borders are based on the tribes' various treaties with the US and that corner of Montana just happens to have not been assigned to any one tribe).

Two is the question of Pacific Access. You mention acquiring Manitoba was this towards an unfufilled goal going from sea to sea? Was there a west coast state open enough for Canada to engage freely there.
I haven't fully worked out the Manitoba situation yet but yes I think part of the motivation would have been a failed push to reach the Pacific, the other being liberating the French-speaking Metis from British rule (Louis Riel etc). I guess that west coast state would be California, I'll need to put more thought into their historical relationship but I do have in mind that until relatively recently there would have been a lot of "everyone else vs the British Empire" mentality.

Third is also related to water and trade. Locks connecting the Great lakes were largely finished by the 1850s IOTL, with 1848 being the year the Illinois and Michigan Canal connected the Mississippi Basin and the Lakes. However the Saint Lawrence Seaway, which connected the Atlantic and the Lakes didn't come about until 1954. Given the unity not ITTL, and the greater incentives for connectivity between the Atlantic and New Orleans do you think a unified canal plan would occur?
I can only assume so but I honestly don't know much about this.

Finally, the Capital of Lafayette. Can't help but notice it was founded just after the founding of the Republic. Was this an attempt to break with the royal association of the old capital (which I presume was either Quebec or Montreal)? Also you imply an attempted Louisiana secession around this time, was moving the capital to a more central location a strategy to deal with an independently minded hinterland?
Yes, a big reason for moving the capital was putting it in a more central location closer to the more rebellious and less developed provinces. And also I think to a city not as prone to revolutionary mobs building barricades. (The previous capital was Quebec, though I've also considered that it might move to Montreal or maybe Detroit in the interim)

Yes, a big reason for moving the capital was putting it in a more central location closer to the more rebellious and less developed provinces. And also I think to a city not as prone to revolutionary mobs building barricades. (The previous capital was Quebec, though I've also considered that it might move to Montreal or maybe Detroit in the interim)
Is Louisiana nationalism a thing at all in the present?

Is Louisiana nationalism a thing at all in the present?
Yes though it's fairly fringe, I guess akin to Texas nationalism OTL, they aren't about to win any referendums any time soon. There's also Louisiana Creole nationalism, though the main focus is gaining autonomous status equivalent to indigenous nations rather than outright independence.

I still have to work out the combatants in some regions like the Balkans, the Middle East, and South Asia (turns out world wars are complicated), and details are sure to change once I actually do the writeup, but for now here's a preview:

2GW preview.png

Oh jeez how did you even find that haha, yes that's my wiki though everything on it should be considered a WIP draft and non-canon until posted here.
I wrote a future history thing based on Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri and I had the alternate independent Zimbabwean state be called “Mthwakazi-Mutapa” and by chance both of those names are on your list as separatist movements.

Oh jeez how did you even find that haha, yes that's my wiki though everything on it should be considered a WIP draft and non-canon until posted here.
The question is what has become of the Muscogee Creek living outside of Florida? After all, they were a "civilized" tribe.

Last edited:
Hi, great TL. A question: What are the nuclear powers of TTL world?
At a minimum there's Canada, Britain, Germany, Russia, China, Japan, and probably Hindustan, as the "official" nuclear powers; there'll also be a few more unofficial nuclear powers but I haven't decided what they should be yet.

A Few Acres of Snow
What if New France became a great power?

View attachment 740465
Hello all! Some of you may have followed my previous timeline Another America, and those of you who did may have noticed that it's been inactive for quite some time. The reason for that is that I changed and retconned it so many times that the thread was already an incoherent mess, so when I found myself wanting to change even *more* I thought that I might as well just start from scratch entirely - so consider this thread the official reboot of Another America! As you can see from the map below it's broadly similar albeit with some important differences, most notably that Canada and Louisiana are joined together into a mega-French-country in North America, which will be the closest thing this timeline has to a main character (at least as I have it planned now, who knows how it'll morph as it goes on).

There are several different PoDs starting from the 1600s, and the first big one is the Dutch fending off the English and retaining New Netherland, starting a general trend of English/British weakness relative to OTL - though in general I'll be favoring rule of cool over strict plausibility so expect this thread to be something of a butterfly graveyard full of historical figures that shouldn't strictly have been born in this timeline and the like. As for retcons, well, I certainly can't promise *none* of them, especially at this early stage when it'll be easier to change things without throwing everything else off, but I'll do my best to keep them to a minimum compared my last attempt.

Thanks for reading and bon appétit!

df555t0-f7a18c28-d999-4a98-b54f-574cbc734b10.png
Is that Brandenburg in between Poland and what it looks like TTL's equivalent of Germany?