A Few Acres of Snow: A Map and Graphic Timeline

Introduction
A Few Acres of Snow
What if New France became a great power?

AFAoS banner.png
Hello all! Some of you may have followed my previous timeline Another America, and those of you who did may have noticed that it's been inactive for quite some time. The reason for that is that I changed and retconned it so many times that the thread was already an incoherent mess, so when I found myself wanting to change even *more* I thought that I might as well just start from scratch entirely - so consider this thread the official reboot of Another America! As you can see from the map below it's broadly similar albeit with some important differences, most notably that Canada and Louisiana are joined together into a mega-French-country in North America, which will be the closest thing this timeline has to a main character (at least as I have it planned now, who knows how it'll morph as it goes on).

There are several different PoDs starting from the 1600s, and the first big one is the Dutch fending off the English and retaining New Netherland, starting a general trend of English/British weakness relative to OTL - though in general I'll be favoring rule of cool over strict plausibility so expect this thread to be something of a butterfly graveyard full of historical figures that shouldn't strictly have been born in this timeline and the like. As for retcons, well, I certainly can't promise *none* of them, especially at this early stage when it'll be easier to change things without throwing everything else off, but I'll do my best to keep them to a minimum compared my last attempt.

Thanks for reading and bon appétit!
AFAoS banner.png

dfvaj49-f9c3bca9-0454-474c-ab4f-c0b061cbd07c.png

Last edited:
Given the number of native names in the table, I assume that Native Americans have a (slightly) better time of things ITTL?

Especially given how much more divided the continent is.

Huh, I honestly thought Canada would have more people.

And I now see the small Israel.

Yeah, I'm still considering bumping up Canada's population, I just also don't want to invent too many new people out of nowhere so I'll see where I can shuffle them around from - maybe California which is a bit too populated for my liking.

Given the number of native names in the table, I assume that Native Americans have a (slightly) better time of things ITTL?

Especially given how much more divided the continent is.

Yes, I don't have a specific PoD or reason for it (European-introduced diseases hitting them less severely, I guess?) but Native Americans have done slightly better ITTL with a higher population and more territory and autonomy, which will also be true in South America and Australia.

Yeah, I'm still considering bumping up Canada's population, I just also don't want to invent too many new people out of nowhere so I'll see where I can shuffle them around from - maybe California which is a bit too populated for my liking.
I mean, with such an early PoD, various events can happen or not happen that differ from OTL that increase the populations of nations like Canada.

Higher birth rate than OTL, more immigration, etc.