Just read through this timeline and I've really been enjoying it! I took a course about Latin American history last semester, so it's neat to learn even more about the political environment of this time period. The global butterflies are interesting as well, and this last update in particular with its massive Arab Union is going to have massive consequences. Looking forward to seeing where this goes next!

Damm the Arab Union comes to life and Nasser is eating grass trough the roots! Honestly, really interested in how you're making these developments!

Just read through this timeline and I've really been enjoying it! I took a course about Latin American history last semester, so it's neat to learn even more about the political environment of this time period. The global butterflies are interesting as well, and this last update in particular with its massive Arab Union is going to have massive consequences. Looking forward to seeing where this goes next!
Damm the Arab Union comes to life and Nasser is eating grass trough the roots! Honestly, really interested in how you're making these developments!
I'm glad you guys are enjoying it! I honestly really wanted to have Nasser leading the UAR instead, given it was his biggest dream, but after some researched I concluded that he was just too authoritarian for it to work in the long term. Not that Naguib isn't ITTL, but he keeps it to Egypt and doesn't try to impose it on the other republics.

The United Arab Republic
And here's a map of the UAR:

united arab republic.png

mial42

Gone Fishin'
Lebanon too. Ironically, the UAR is so clunky right now that a war is pretty unlikely at the moment.
An Israeli-Lebanese defensive alliance would be interesting (and extremely ironic considering that OTL Israel has supported secessionists and invaded Lebanon, while 97% of Lebanese have an unfavorable view of Jews).

An Israeli-Lebanese defensive alliance would be interesting (and extremely ironic considering that OTL Israel has supported secessionists and invaded Lebanon, while 97% of Lebanese have an unfavorable view of Jews).
An Iranian-Israeli alliance would be hilariously ironic too, but IIRC the Shah actually had good relations with them during his long tenure.

Last edited:
Wow, talk about big change. This actually has a pretty good chance of not leaving the Middle-East the dumpster fire it is in OTL, as much as the neighbours must all be panicking right now. Saudi Arabia is going to throw even more money at fucking over the entire region though.

Islamism will be a lot less attractive without the failure of Pan-Arabism.

Plus, the Saudis will have more urgent things to deal with.

Wikipedia said:
After the King and princes were dead, the plotters planned to announce the formation of the Republic of the Arabian Peninsula.
Now that would be cool. And if they joined the UAR, all the better! It’s going to be an absolute behemoth if this keeps happening.

I imagine the Six-Day War itself has been butterflied away, as all the Arab participants are now one big country and that changes a lot. That said, I do think that an Arab-Israeli war is coming sooner or later, and the outcome of that war will determine the fate of the United Arab Republic. The defeat in the Six-Day War OTL dealt a severe blow to pan-Arabism, a victory could make it much stronger.

I also wonder if Gaddafi will still take power in 1969 (or even earlier?), because if he still does I could very easily see him leading Libya into the UAR if it still exists by then.

I also wonder if Gaddafi will still take power in 1969 (or even earlier?), because if he still does I could very easily see him leading Libya into the UAR if it still exists by then.
Well, let's just say that the surviving monarchies will be very worried about republican coups taking place in their territories.