A Divided Shores - The Two Nations of North America

l1ZsMnm.png

NOTE: This is the first map that I made using the QGIS application which I took short time to convert into SVG when I edited it with colors, labels, and names. A twin colossus nation in North America is comprised of the United States and the Confederated States, two countries that had diverged apart since the PoD in 1861.
What about the Las Vegas in OTL New Mexico?

I noticed that South Africa still keep apartheid alive in 2023. Is it currently a dictatorship?
One question is good, @Lemonfish:
South Africa or the South African Republic/Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek is a country located in Southern Africa that still existed as the union of Transvaal, Oranje/Vrystaat, bits of the eastern part of Cape, and Natalia which have formed even after the British Colony of Cape has expressed strong opposition to its formation, citing the fears that Boers, in particular, could reassert their dominance after the Second Anglo-Boer War and their memories of the war that prevented the unification of newly formed Union of South Africa with the Cape of Good Hope.

Sadly, the country is located next to the pro-AFN and nearly developed country of Cape and is still under a dictatorship, albeit with OTL Belarus style of sham democracy where they still hold elections but their political parties have been sidelined or squeezed out through the usage of punishment, intimidation, cheating, and imprisonment. The draconian and controversial system of Apartheid, institutional and systemic racial discrimination to segregate Blacks/Bantus from Whites, mainly both Anglo and Afrikaaners society, and it still exists today even in the age of the internet, social media, and digital technologies which could try to bring down the system but with the South African Republic is more adept and savvy to carry out harsh crackdowns on protesters by shutting down the internet like what OTL Iran and Myanmar have done to stifle the word or evidence from getting out into the international media outlets. They are still sanctioned by the United Kingdom, France, Japan, the United States, and of course, the Sovereign Union for ongoing human rights abuses and harsh treatment of non-whites even in townships. They are still supported by Ottoman Turkey, Yugoslavia, and Legionary China.
What are celebrities like Jennifer Lawrence, Ariana Grande and Taylor Swift doing ITTL?
  • Jennifer Lawrence: is a Confederate journalist, politician, and activist, whose parents have been the victims of Walker's brutal dictatorship. She and other children of the victims of abuse have founded the Parents for the Victims of the Regime, a non-profit organization with the task of finding the parents who have disappeared during Walker's regime.
  • Ariana Grande: is a Confederate singer, songwriter, and actress. Currently, she's planning to release her album named Fearless and Powerful this year.
  • Taylor Swift: currently, an American singer-songwriter. Her discography spans multiple genres, and her songwriting - often inspired by personal life - has received critical praise and wide media coverage and she's still one of the best-selling musicians of all time. Her plans to release the album in this TTL are likely to be in mid or late 2023.

A Divided Shores
CMtrTOF.png
Since the old thread is considered to be deprecated or no longer in use after four years that we're building on a worldbuilding project where we took over a year to build the world of where the Confederate States won the civil war/independence through joint Anglo-French peace mediation and survival of competent commanders and generals brought the conflict with the United States to an inconclusive standstill but the peace effort has made the Confederates, in general, achieved the means of fighting the independence or state's rights but note, I don't even condone or endorse or praise the Confederacy which is historically being viewed as a defender of the draconian institution that prevented non-whites from achieving full rights.

To be honest, I've been reading too much @CosmicAsh's Our Fair Country and These Fair Shores, @Planita13's A Shining Valley, @Onerom's Nobody Expects, @LeinadB93's Hail Britannia, @KaiserEmu's Of Droughts and Flooding Rains, and @Lewie's Good King George; and since there are three worldbuilding projects that I have been abandoned, I have to restart the beloved TTDN from a scratch and creating my own TL in mixed styles of realism. In the last few weeks or couple of months, I've been brainstorming and thinking about the trajectory since I made the point of divergence where generals such as Stonewall Jackson and Albert Sidney Johnston have both likewise survived which prevented the Confederacy Army from nothing more than a joke or a paper tiger after reckless defeats when each battle had ended in Union's favor that led to the end of the Confederate States. In fact, in my own TL, the survival of both competent generals has led to the survival of the Confederate States and inconclusive battles had splintered the Union's army units led to joint Anglo-French meditative efforts to push on pressuring the United States to recognize the independence of Confederacy, and its place in an altered world setting. I was inspired by @TastySpam's Dixieland: The Country of Tomorrow and @PGSBHurricane's Champions of Dixie.

The primary PoD of a restarted TTDN or A Divided Shores is the Confederate general named Stonewall Jackson has survived the encampment when in OTL, he was shot in the back as the Confederate Cavalry unit mistakenly shot him and Albert Sidney Johnston missed the incoming bullet from behind and the competent generals who were being placed on the inconclusive Battle of Glendale when they find a tricky strategy to tackle with the volley of Union units. The survival of both Stonewall and Sidney Johnston is that these two competent generals could lead the battle when they used an unknown strategy to attack the pursuing Union infantry, artillery, and cavalry units from the exposed flank and their plan was to splice the rear and to secure the passage route that led to escape routes for the Union army have been completely blocked, cutting off any avenues for escaping Union army units. The famed general named George McClellan who was the notable commander has not available and the appointment of an incompetent general had brought the Union's army performance to a lackluster move which led to the leaderless Army of the Potomac split or complete collapse when another round of defeats which had led to the Army of Virginia to further scuttle and was therefore unable to coordinate to mount a counterattack on incoming Confederate forces. The dismal and terrible performance of the leaderless Army of the Potomac and the disastrous retreat of the Army of Virginia has led the countries like the United Kingdom and France to push forward with the peace talks and ramp up economic pressure together with the Royal Navy's threats to initiate blockade of the Union-led ports.

Every comment, appreciation, question, suggestion, etc. is very welcome, and although the main "big events" and the general flow of the world are already mostly planned, there's plenty of room to include new content to flesh out this TL, so if you want to propose anything go ahead. And to begin with, I hereby present the world map as of the 1st of January, 2023.
Zarp1VD.png

8bvaV43.png

I would also appreciate requests on which parts of the world would you like to know more about, so I can focus on them in the next sets of updates. Hope you like it and therefore this TL will be open to questions, suggestions, ideas, or outright contributions.
Damn those Balkan borders are in some ways a lot better than IOTL, near ideal though there's no perfect Balkans. The lack of some kind of Bosniak state is a bit sad.

How does Bosniak identity look ITTL? I'm guessing Croatian policy is to call them "Muslim Croats" but how much do they accept this? Does Serbia hold Sarajevo here? I know it was Serb majority for a long time and it looks like it might on the map. Does Serbia have designs on other parts of Bosnia or on Krajina? Speaking of Krajina, what happened with Croatian Serbs ITTL, the ones in the former Habsburg military frontier?

Also, what's that little state in southern Serbia? I'm guessing some kind of Torlakia? Fascinating idea, does it claim other areas speaking Torlakian dialects? Does it identify as Bulgarian or have its own identity? Is it politically aligned with Bulgaria?

How does Hungary treat its ITTL more numerous Slavic and Romanian minorities?

Edit: Also how does Serbia treat is Albanian population?

Second edit: Just saw the freedom index, so that doesn't bode well for the answer to Edit 1.

Last edited:

Deleted member 82792

What's Hailee Steinfeld doing?

Were Star Trek or Star Wars ever made?

What's Hawaii like?

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn those Balkan borders are in some ways a lot better than IOTL, near ideal though there's no perfect Balkans. The lack of some kind of Bosniak state is a bit sad.

How does Bosniak identity look ITTL? I'm guessing Croatian policy is to call them "Muslim Croats" but how much do they accept this? Does Serbia hold Sarajevo here? I know it was Serb majority for a long time and it looks like it might on the map. Does Serbia have designs on other parts of Bosnia or on Krajina? Speaking of Krajina, what happened with Croatian Serbs ITTL, the ones in the former Habsburg military frontier?

Also, what's that little state in southern Serbia? I'm guessing some kind of Torlakia? Fascinating idea, does it claim other areas speaking Torlakian dialects? Does it identify as Bulgarian or have its own identity? Is it politically aligned with Bulgaria?

How does Hungary treat its ITTL more numerous Slavic and Romanian minorities?

Edit: Also how does Serbia treat is Albanian population?

Second edit: Just saw the freedom index, so that doesn't bode well for the answer to Edit 1.
Keep in mind that Croatia was part of the Union of Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes but they are attempting to include Bulgaria, but the Italians have managed to undermine the growth of the alternate Yugoslavia by putting pro-Italian fascists and ultraconservative politicians in power when the Second Weltkrieg broke out as a way to answer to Rome's needs. Then, Yugoslavia was formed from the Potsdam Accords of 1923 as the Kaiserreich began to take steps to resolve the bloody Austro-Hungarian collapse as Berlin would put Czechoslovakia and Hungary as partners before the world war when the militarist Germany seeks attempts to prevent the Mikoyan or Trotskyist Soviet Union and democratic France as well as the United Kingdom from challenging their power before its initial collapse into civil war.

Bosniaks have enjoyed autonomy as longas they are part of the so-called 'Muslim Croats'. Sarajevo is part of Croatia as part of Bosnian Autonomous Region when Yugoslavia faces violent collapse in the late 1980s to the rest of 1990s. For Yugoslavia, which constitutes Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo, and bits of Bosnia and Herzegovina is sadly, still a nonfunctioning democracy despite their governmental structure is enshrined in the 1998 Constitution and yet the country is resembled absolutely like OTL Belarus and TTL South African Republic, barring NATO/AFN intervention.

A 'buffer' state known as Torlakia was formed by Bulgaria to prevent incursion attempts by the Yugoslavian forces. Still, as of today, there were countless rhetorical fights and regular tensions between Bulgaria and Yugoslavia over the unresolved issue of Vardaria, not North Macedonia sovereignty.

Hungary does treat minorities well, although they were forced to vote ethnic parties that are vaguely cooperative or supportive of the government. Ethnic tensions does still exist in the TTL.

For Kosovo, it remains one of the most pressing and controversial issues regarding the sovereignty as Albanians in the TTL were still facing problematic levels of discrimination despite they already have an autonomous republic within the country.
How did India stay united?
There's an alternate WW1/First Weltkrieg and with bloody Second Weltkrieg which brought Kaiserreich into a (Spanish or Chinese-styled civil war), the British Empire has realized that their control of the subcontinent or the British Raj was soon deeming unfeasible, without further sacrificing or costing massive expenditure in the treasury and their lives. The British has planned to prevent another strings of unrest from spiralling out of control by holding talks with the Indian National Congress, which paved way for Indian independence under their terms outlined in the Government of India Act of 1934, which envisions for the multireligious and secular India. The British were properly able to ensure protections for religious minorities such as Muslims and Sikhs, despite protests and loud demands by All-India Muslim League or those who challenge the unified and secular plan.

British Raj has transformed into the Dominion of India, a secular and multicultural constitutional dominion within the British Empire. In 1958, due to the threat of Soviet communist influence and pressure from the United States and Japan, the Indian status referendum was pushed by the Westminster where the voters have decided to vote for the Indian Independence and Patriation Act of 1957 in efforts to complete the process of India's political and legislative independence from the United Kingdom. The majority of them are overwhelmingly voted in favor of ratifying their act that effectively ended centuries of the British rule, alongside with the proclamation of the Empire of India with a native Badishah.
What's Hawaii like?
Hawaii is an independent country located in the Northeast Pacific, they still have the monarchy where the ruler has a limited power with only a ceremonial role. They are part of the Commonwealth and the AFN, given the prime strategic location for both AFN naval vessels stationed in the island. The country has enjoyed a high standards of living due to its main sectors of the industry that dominated the economy: real estate and tourism, healthcare, and retail trade as well as its ideal location for commercial and cargo spaceplanes.

How did David Cameron end up in Capeland and also how is life in Capeland like?
David Cameron was among the numerous British, German, Eastern European, Irish, and Italian immigrants who made their way to Capeland when he was born in 1966 in Cape Town. He became a council member in Cape Town. He worked there at the Conservative Progressive Party offices including his role as a special advisor, before becoming a member of the MP in 2003. He was elected in 2013 as a leader of the Conservative Progressive Party, where he tried to make his bid for prime ministership ended up failing when he was defeated until he has finally elected in 2015 when he defeated a Labour PM of native African origin.

Life in Capeland has resembled a mixture of OTL UAE, Australia, and Chile, even to the extent that Capeland does include Namibia, a colony with a significant German settler population that has led to cases of some German-descendant or speaking people being elected to the Senate and Volksraad/House of Assembly/Volksrat. I know someone who can help me to name some OTL German politicians who served as government holders in Capeland. Since Capeland isn't part of TTL's South Africa, they are likely to be freer and more diverse as OTL Singapore and other countries with racial diversity since the period of the British colonial rule, barring apartheid/herrenvolk institutions that systematically segregate or discriminate non-white.
What is the Barbarella International Foundation? Does Jane Fonda head it?
Barbarella International is an international think-tank and non-governmental organization that advocated and campaigned to advance the interests of egalitarianism, social democracy, democratic freedoms, and progressivism. It was named after the French science fiction comic book, which was adapted into a movie and then into an organization that is thought to be originally an organization to advance women and LGBTQ+ rights, but over time, it became an international NGO that conducts research and advocacy on human/civil rights, equality, and democratic freedoms. The organization has pressured or lobbied policymakers, governments, companies, and individual human rights abusers to respect the principles, of accountability, and denounce their actions.

Annually, they released a title named 'International Situation of the World' report, which assesses each country's degree of political freedoms, civil liberties, press freedoms, censorship levels, and the state of democracy index. International Situation of the Press and the Internet, through the Foundation for the AlliedNet/GlobaNet, is dedicated to monitoring censorship, stability, intimidation, and violence against journalists, internet freedoms, and public access to information, as well as other signature reports. Also, they have equality/inequality index to monitor the gender gap and promoting egalitarianism.

David Cameron was among the numerous British, German, Eastern European, Irish, and Italian immigrants who made their way to Capeland when he was born in 1966 in Cape Town. He became a council member in Cape Town. He worked there at the Conservative Progressive Party offices including his role as a special advisor, before becoming a member of the MP in 2003. He was elected in 2013 as a leader of the Conservative Progressive Party, where he tried to make his bid for prime ministership ended up failing when he was defeated until he has finally elected in 2015 when he defeated a Labour PM of native African origin.

Life in Capeland has resembled a mixture of OTL UAE, Australia, and Chile, even to the extent that Capeland does include Namibia, a colony with a significant German settler population that has led to cases of some German-descendant or speaking people being elected to the Senate and Volksraad/House of Assembly/Volksrat. I know someone who can help me to name some OTL German politicians who served as government holders in Capeland. Since Capeland isn't part of TTL's South Africa, they are likely to be freer and more diverse as OTL Singapore and other countries with racial diversity since the period of the British colonial rule, barring apartheid/herrenvolk institutions that systematically segregate or discriminate non-white.

Barbarella International is an international think-tank and non-governmental organization that advocated and campaigned to advance the interests of egalitarianism, social democracy, democratic freedoms, and progressivism. It was named after the French science fiction comic book, which was adapted into a movie and then into an organization that is thought to be originally an organization to advance women and LGBTQ+ rights, but over time, it became an international NGO that conducts research and advocacy on human/civil rights, equality, and democratic freedoms. The organization has pressured or lobbied policymakers, governments, companies, and individual human rights abusers to respect the principles, of accountability, and denounce their actions.

Annually, they released a title named 'International Situation of the World' report, which assesses each country's degree of political freedoms, civil liberties, press freedoms, censorship levels, and the state of democracy index. International Situation of the Press and the Internet, through the Foundation for the AlliedNet/GlobaNet, is dedicated to monitoring censorship, stability, intimidation, and violence against journalists, internet freedoms, and public access to information, as well as other signature reports. Also, they have equality/inequality index to monitor the gender gap and promoting egalitarianism.
Maybe the Barbarella International report can be content for a future post. Personally things like that really help flesh out the character of a society.

Another follow up question about Capeland, Since Capeland is not part of the TTL’s South Africa, was Capeland originally part of the TTL’s South Africa before splitting off into two different countries and is Capeland a British dominion or a republic.

This is an interesting scenario, the only nit-pick I have is the title.

It ignores the fact that your map has 3 countries in North America [4 if Alaska is Independent]

Another follow up question about Capeland, Since Capeland is not part of the TTL’s South Africa, was Capeland originally part of the TTL’s South Africa before splitting off into two different countries and is Capeland a British dominion or a republic.
Capeland was originally part of the British Empire as the Colony of the Cape and they have a qualified franchise of all races. This is my test I will do a rework to add tweaks and bits of pieces or change/retconning anything found on my map for this TL. Maybe, I should keep the Boer republics of Oranje Vrystaat and the South African Republic/Transvaal as an independent state.
This is an interesting scenario, the only nit-pick I have is the title.

It ignores the fact that your map has 3 countries in North America [4 if Alaska is Independent]
Sorry for the late replies, I made a crafty and graphical atlas map of the United States and the Confederated States using the template from the one I made on QGIS.

If I add more content, someone can create this on the TvTropes page, related to my own and other works that they made.

What happen in 1944 that caused the United States to change its constitution? How did Tucker Carlson become the leader of a anti capitalism party?

Last edited: