A Different Path Home

I'm just going to have some fun with this one. Thanks to vultan and Electric Monk for valuable feedback with the original idea, and of course to Brainbin for starting this whole recent pop culture TL craze.

They thought that she was going to quit, if not on the first day, then shortly afterwards. They were wrong. She'd been tempted to be sure, but Genevieve Bujold was an actress, and an actress does her job...or at least that was her way of thinking while they shot the first few episodes of Star Trek: Voyager. No matter the grueling schedule, the pages of dialogue she was required to memorize daily, or even the poor relationships that were developing with other cast members, she would do her job. She would learn her lines and hit her marks. Even when the producers called her in to their office and tried to make it clear that they had no use for her, she got her agent to play hardball with the network, and to hold threats of major legal action over the head of the network that could least afford uncertainty. The producers were told to keep her. Even when Berman threatened to walk, they called his bluff.

The problem was, even the most professional woman can only take so much. She'd been at the top of her game not too long ago, winning a Golden Globe for best actress and nominated for the same category at the Academy Awards. Now here she was, reduced to ridiculous lines of indecipherable technical nonsense. Phase inducers? Warp coils? Even that wouldn't have been so bad if she'd been given a real part to work with, but the mixture of horrible writing, poor characterization, and the enmity of her fellow castmembers proved to be too much. Disregarding the advice (and ignoring the efforts) of her agent, Ms. Bujold walked away from Voyager immediately after wrapping the episode "Time And Again".

The producers were stunned and angered by this turn of events, with Michael Piller going so far as to send an "I told you so" memo to the network. This may have been a mistake. Network executives have one major goal, which is to make money, and one major way to keep making money in the face of catastrophe, which is to shift the blame onto others. At a meeting with the various heads of Paramount, one thing was made clear to them: UPN and Paramount would not be taking the blame for losing the lead actress on their flagship program only three episodes into the season. Instead, Piller and Taylor would be falling on their swords over this, and would specifically be blamed for not creating a more reasonable work environment for Ms. Bujold.

The decision came down: Jeri Taylor would still maintain the title of Executive Producer, but her actual powers would be severely curtailed. As the creative input of staff writer Brannon Braga had been a major complaint of Ms. Bujold, it was determined that in order to forestall such complaints in the future, he would be let go from the show. Mr. Piller, already tiring of the increasing melodrama behind the scenes, decided to move on to greener pastures, though he still retained a creative consultant credit.

Taylor and Piller grudgingly accepted this state of affairs. Brannon Braga did not. Instead, he protested so strongly that it was rumored that Paramount Security nearly had to be called to throw him off of the lot. When he got home that night, he called his agent to get the best deal that he could possibly get in the event of being released from the show. Not wishing for an ugly spat played out in the pages of Variety and The Hollywood Reporter, Paramount offered him a multi-pilot development deal. This was acceptable to Mr. Braga, and he left the show with his head held high.

Ronald D. Moore found himself in a mess. While he didn't want to upset his friend Brannon Braga or Jeri Taylor, he found the entire storyline of the first season to lack any compelling narrative. However, the departure of the Captain opened up some intriguing possibilities, and gave him an excuse to scrap the episode "Phage" (or, as some were calling it, "Neelix's Lungs"). Instead, he gave a dignified goodbye to Captain Nicole Janeway in the episode "The Vessel Grim And Daring", opening with a memorial service in which the audience learned that the good captain had sacrificed herself for her crew on an alien planet. He also promoted First Officer Chakotay to the Captain's chair, and switched Tuvok from Security to Command to make him the First Officer. Finally, he inserted story seeds of discontent among a Starfleet crew suddenly finding themselves under the command of a Maquis Captain, and of Tuvok finding himself torn between feelings of duty to the chain of command and a mistrust of a Captain he'd previously attempted to bring to justice as a traitor to the United Federation of Planets.

This was going to be an interesting show, indeed....

So here's the rules: I am totally willing to listen to any feedback, any suggestions, any ideas. This isn't AWOLAWOT: I'm not putting that kind of pressure on myself right now, and I don't especially care to come up with everything. If you come up with an episode idea that seems to fit, I'll take it.

I do already have the season finale for the first season planned out (it's in the pinned Core Pop Culture Timeline thread), but while this isn't a Shared World, I do want to hear everyone else's ideas about where this could go. I just claim the power to say yea or nay to any of them.

EDIT: Further thanks to ColeMercury for pointing out some blatant flaws in the original post, ones that I've edited out.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard the bandwagon, stat! SPOILERS can we assume this timeline may also have the other idea you put in the pop culture thread?

Guess I'll have to add this to the Go-To thread.:D

Oh, wow. You actually did it! We've created a monster, I think, although I still say it's the powerful allure of writing about Star Trek.

Looking forward to the possibility of a better Voyager. I do wonder what SFDebris would wind up doing with his free time, though.

Thank you so much for the acknowledgement! Consider me subscribed!

Between his work on Deep Space 9 and his newfound responsibilities on Voyager, Ronald D. Moore was finding himself in over his head. In a bit of a panic, he started to reach out to other science fiction writers to provide an assist over at the former show so that he could turn his attention to salvaging the new one. He knew the value of name recognition in the science fiction community. The problem was that many of these names had come into conflict with Gene Roddenberry in the past, or at least had become disenchanted with the franchise as a whole due to poor storytelling and inconsistent characterization. He'd received praise from them for his work on Deep Space 9. But was it enough to bring them on board? He'd already put out feelers to David Gerrold about making some contributions to Deep Space 9, and there were talks about bringing back the Tribbles in some manner. It shouldn't be too hard to convince him to come on board in a more official capacity.

But not Harlan. A man of stratospheric talent, to be sure. But never Harlan.

Star Trek: Voyager Episode 4 "The Vessel Grim And Daring".

The episode opens at a memorial service that the audience discovers is for Captain Nicole Janeway. It's revealed that while on a mission to open contact with a civilization that possessed dilithium crystals, she and B'elanna Torres were ambushed by locals, and the Captain sacrificed herself for Torres. Or so it would seem...

Aboard ship, the EMH discovers that the energy signature on the Captain's wounds is from a Starfleet phaser. Suspicion immediately falls upon Torres, and by extension the rest of the former Maquis aboard ship...including newly-appointed Captain Chakotay. First Officer Tuvok uses his security training to begin an investigation, and immediately places Lt. Torres in custody pending the outcome. Chakotay feels that he has no choice but to go along with this decision, but promises Torres that he will find evidence to free her. This is overheard by Tom Paris, who believes that Chakotay means to fabricate evidence to free his comrade in arms.

After a series of misunderstandings and one near-mutiny, the EMH makes a startling find: The energy signature was from a Starfleet phaser, but one of a type that hasn't been used for approximately a century. This not only means that Torres is likely innocent, but also that they're not the only Starfleet vessel to have visited the Delta Quadrant.

The crew now has a secondary mission. While the first is to get home, the second is to find out which ship from so long ago ended up in the Delta Quadrant, and to attempt to discover what happened to her crew.

With the spirit of Captain Nicole Janeway as their guide, the crew of the U.S.S. Voyager sets a course to Earth.

Last edited:
BANDWAGONS! I'm so excited.

The producers were stunned and angered by this turn of events, with Berman going so far as to send an "I told you so" memo to the network. This may have been a mistake. Network executives have one major goal, which is to make money, and one major way to keep making money in the face of catastrophe, which is to shift the blame onto others. At a meeting with the various heads of Paramount, one thing was made clear to them: UPN and Paramount would not be taking the blame for losing the lead actress on their flagship program only three episodes into the season. Instead, Berman and Braga would be falling on their swords over this, and would specifically be blamed for not creating a more reasonable work environment for Ms. Bujold.

Oh, very nice. That is exactly how network executives think. I also couldn't think of it happening to two nicer guys.

Question: I had a similar shake-up in my Star Trek post (although there Paramount shoved the Captain out the door) and advantage was taken of it. Voyager never had the best ratings, but if UPN is smart they could totally play this entire thing to the general public. Star Trek TNG was the "safe" show and DS9 seemed to put some audiences off, I could easily see UPN going all out in a media blitz on this once the episodes begin to air.

The decision came down: Mr. Berman would still maintain the title of Executive Producer, but his actual powers would be severely curtailed.

A very nice way to do that indeed, incredibly Hollywood (yeah you're the titled guy in charge except not).

As Mr. Braga's creative input had been a major complaint of Ms. Bujold, it was determined that in order to forestall such complaints in the future, he and Mr. Berman would hand over the creative direction to Mr. Braga's good friend Ronald D. Moore, who was doing such a successful job over on Deep Space 9.

Ronald D. Moore found himself in a mess. While he didn't want to upset his friend Brannon Braga, he found the entire storyline of the first season to lack any compelling narrative. However, the departure of the Captain opened up some intriguing possibilities,

This was going to be an interesting show, indeed....

Oh yeah. Well my main suggestion would be to give the good actors space and start cutting the bad ones down and picking up new crew members.

Robert Picardo is not only the most interesting character as the Doctor but easily the best actor in the cast. He needs freedom of movement around the ship, stat (he didn't have that in the beginning).

Year of Hell is a massive stand-out, especially as it's the only part of Voyager that bothered to not magically fix Voyager every episode.

And Starfleet. Equinox was the only other Starfleet vessel with a major role that appeared on the show IIRC. It would be interesting to put together a BSG style mini-fleet. There's a ton of random stuff that happens in Star Trek, it'd be cool to stumble across a few more Starfleet/Klingon/Romulan/whoever vessels that wound up there and be forced to work together.

Sorry, I'm just posting as ideas come to me. That should slow down after a while.

Fan responses to the first three episodes of the new Star Trek series were mixed, though there was a general consensus that Bujold had done the entire franchise a favor by getting out. There was some hand-wringing among female fans that the poor performance of Bujold had cost fandom the chance to see a female captain take her rightful place among Kirk, Picard, and Sisko, but even they had to admit that she'd been woefully miscast in the role, and that she may have done even more damage if she'd stayed.

All of this changed with the broadcast of the fourth episode. Astoundingly well-structured and tightly paced for a "bottle episode" (an episode of a series that only uses existing sets), the general sentiment was that the show showed promise of being a worthy successor to its predecessors. The chemistry was still uneven and the characterizations were still a bit two-dimensional, but the show had gotten off to the most promising start of any series in the franchise since the original.

I suppose that I should mention that since this is happening so early in the run of the production, EVERYTHING in Voyager continuity is up in the air. We're going to see more story arcs, but they'll be very different, and so will the character development.

This was at least partially inspired by an argument that I'd gotten into over at another site where I was defending Harlan Ellison's original "City On The Edge Of Forever" script, and said that it would have made for some interesting character development for Kirk. The others couldn't wrap their heads around the idea of Kirk developing in any way except the way that he'd developed, so the whole conversation was fruitless.

BANDWAGONS! I'm so excited.

Oh, very nice. That is exactly how network executives think. I also couldn't think of it happening to two nicer guys.

Question: I had a similar shake-up in my Star Trek post (although there Paramount shoved the Captain out the door) and advantage was taken of it. Voyager never had the best ratings, but if UPN is smart they could totally play this entire thing to the general public. Star Trek TNG was the "safe" show and DS9 seemed to put some audiences off, I could easily see UPN going all out in a media blitz on this once the episodes begin to air.

I'm thinking of a "Best of both worlds" sort of thing (no, NOT the Borg one) where the show manages to combine the exploratory nature of the first two shows with the fantastic moral ambiguity of the third.

A very nice way to do that indeed, incredibly Hollywood (yeah you're the titled guy in charge except not).

It seems to happen at least once in every successful long-running series.

Oh yeah. Well my main suggestion would be to give the good actors space and start cutting the bad ones down and picking up new crew members.

That would be smart, but after the departure of Bujold, I think that they're going to try to keep a stable cast just for the sake of morale.

Robert Picardo is not only the most interesting character as the Doctor but easily the best actor in the cast. He needs freedom of movement around the ship, stat (he didn't have that in the beginning).

That's an excellent idea.
Year of Hell is a massive stand-out, especially as it's the only part of Voyager that bothered to not magically fix Voyager every episode.

They probably won't have a "Year of Hell", but I can see similar themes and consequences being explored.
And Starfleet. Equinox was the only other Starfleet vessel with a major role that appeared on the show IIRC.

Not anymore!

It would be interesting to put together a BSG style mini-fleet. There's a ton of random stuff that happens in Star Trek, it'd be cool to stumble across a few more Starfleet/Klingon/Romulan/whoever vessels that wound up there and be forced to work together.

Excellent food for thought, there. I especially like working in the other species. Just concerned about budgetary limitations.

Instead, Berman and Braga would be falling on their swords over this, and would specifically be blamed for not creating a more reasonable work environment for Ms. Bujold.

The decision came down: Mr. Berman would still maintain the title of Executive Producer, but his actual powers would be severely curtailed. As Mr. Braga's creative input had been a major complaint of Ms. Bujold, it was determined that in order to forestall such complaints in the future, he and Mr. Berman would hand over the creative direction to Mr. Braga's good friend Ronald D. Moore, who was doing such a successful job over on Deep Space 9.

Rick Berman grudgingly accepted this state of affairs. Brannon Braga did not. Instead, he protested so strongly that it was rumored that Paramount Security nearly had to be called to throw him off of the lot. When he got home that night, he called his agent to get the best deal that he could possibly get in the event of being released from the show. Not wishing for an ugly spat played out in the pages of Variety and The Hollywood Reporter, Paramount offered him a multi-pilot development deal. This was acceptable to Mr. Braga, and he left the show with his head held high.

Ronald D. Moore found himself in a mess. While he didn't want to upset his friend Brannon Braga, he found the entire storyline of the first season to lack any compelling narrative.
Major flaw right out of the gate: Brannon Braga was not in any position of authority in Voyager's first season. He was only one of the writing staff. Michael Piller and Jeri Taylor were the two showrunners.

Major flaw right out of the gate: Brannon Braga was not in any position of authority in Voyager's first season. He was only one of the writing staff. Michael Piller and Jeri Taylor were the two showrunners.

OK. One or both of them can replace Braga without any huge changes to the timeline as it's written.

Already edited and resolved, though you may not like how I worked it out. Since Piller was gone after the first season, I just took him out of the equation earlier, and made Taylor the Queen without any real power over her subjects.

Meanwhile, Across Time And Space....

Fox was in a bit of a conundrum.

Whereas they'd been considered the young upstarts on the network scene only a few years ago, the remarkable success of certain shows such as The Simpsons and Married...With Children had ratcheted up the pressure to continue coming up with bigger and better hits. Seeing the critical acclaim being bestowed upon the latest of the successful Star Trek shows (and the slowly but steadily increasing ratings at their new rival UPN), it was decided at the highest levels that more needed to be done to develop and produce a serious science fiction series of their own. As it turned out, they already had one in development: A program of remarkable popularity in the U.K. (and a cult classic in the United States) called Doctor Who. In fact, they were already in the process of getting together everything that they needed for the two-hour movie that they'd been working on.

Unfortunately, no creative concept that becomes the sudden object of network attention survives the experience intact, and the same held for the venerable Doctor Who franchise. Critically acclaimed British actor Paul McGann has been specifically picked to be the new Doctor. Now that the American financiers were paying more attention, though, they needed more control over casting. No longer was this being seen as a two-hour movie that might possibly attract enough viewers to be turned into a series. No, now it was being seen as a legitimate entry into the burgeoning science fiction market, and as such, Fox wanted a star who would be both familiar and appealing to American audiences. The BBC producers reluctantly acquiesced after being reassured that they would have the right to refuse anyone they deemed unsuitable for the part.

So...somebody familiar to American audiences. Of course they'd want someone relatively young as well, in order to bring in that vital demographic. Handsome, good actor, and yet someone in a place in his career who would be willing to take on a television role. Also, though, he would have to be acceptable to the people on the U.K. end.

There was one name that somebody came up with at the studio: A young and talented man, one who had somehow ended up in a series of mediocre movies after a remarkably promising start to his career. There were rumors of drug use, but that was true of any number of actors in Hollywood, and the pickings would be mighty slim if they were overly judgmental about such matters.

When the BBC first heard that Robert Downey, Jr. was considering the role, they were elated. Not only had he pulled off a convincing English accent in Chaplin...not only had he been nominated for an Academy Award for his performance...but he'd also won the BAFTA for it!

It was soon announced to the press that Mr. Downey had agreed to take on the role of the Eighth Doctor. The typical mixture of celebration and outrage appeared online almost immediately, and the sales of Doctor Who DVDs and tapes shot through the roof.

(P.S.: vultan, the answer to your spoiler question is "Yes".)

Please forgive the sluggishness of my reply, today has been quite the whirlwind for me on here...

Even when Berman threatened to walk, they called his bluff.
So, does this mean that he's gone? And if so, who is replacing him as creative head of Star Trek? Taylor isn't going to get the job on top of her already tenuous sinecure; and Piller - the obvious candidate - has been thrown under the bus and is now seeking greener pastures. The only other real option within the existing Star Trek hierarchy is DS9 showrunner Ira Steven Behr, who I very much doubt would want the job. Which means that Paramount is going to have to fill the position from without. And that might be a very good thing, if he's anything like, say, Harve Bennett...

That would be smart, but after the departure of Bujold, I think that they're going to try to keep a stable cast just for the sake of morale.
On the whole, I actually like the Voyager cast. Sure, most of them are only as good as the material they've been given, but that's very common among actors. Wang is the only real dud, I think. (Beltran is different: he only puts in as much effort as he feels the material deserves; ergo, better material, better performance, at least in theory). And I think Electric Monk neglected to mention Tim Russ, who I would call a solid second among the OTL cast behind Picardo (Mulgrew was good, too, however abysmal her character might have been).

I think they could rise to the challenge, is what I'm saying.

statichaos said:
Excellent food for thought, there. I especially like working in the other species. Just concerned about budgetary limitations.
I believe they alluded to this a few times on the OTL series, but of course, the magic reset button was always pressed and strict adherence to Federation principles was always maintained. Moore, I agree, would absolutely be attracted to an ad hoc Neo-Federation.

Please forgive the sluggishness of my reply, today has been quite the whirlwind for me on here...

So, does this mean that he's gone? And if so, who is replacing him as creative head of Star Trek? Taylor isn't going to get the job on top of her already tenuous sinecure; and Piller - the obvious candidate - has been thrown under the bus and is now seeking greener pastures. The only other real option within the existing Star Trek hierarchy is DS9 showrunner Ira Steven Behr, who I very much doubt would want the job. Which means that Paramount is going to have to fill the position from without. And that might be a very good thing, if he's anything like, say, Harve Bennett...

No, he's not gone. When they called his bluff, he stayed.

On the whole, I actually like the Voyager cast. Sure, most of them are only as good as the material they've been given, but that's very common among actors. Wang is the only real dud, I think. (Beltran is different: he only puts in as much effort as he feels the material deserves; ergo, better material, better performance, at least in theory). And I think Electric Monk neglected to mention Tim Russ, who I would call a solid second among the OTL cast behind Picardo (Mulgrew was good, too, however abysmal her character might have been).

I also thought that Mulgrew did a decent job with a thankless role. However, she's been butterflied away....

I think they could rise to the challenge, is what I'm saying.

I believe they alluded to this a few times on the OTL series, but of course, the magic reset button was always pressed and strict adherence to Federation principles was always maintained. Moore, I agree, would absolutely be attracted to an ad hoc Neo-Federation.

He would, and I can see battles with the network over this coming down the pipeline...

The Eighth Doctor (Derisively called "The Prettyboy Doctor" by "Classic" Who fans)

rdowneyjr.jpg

Last edited:
The energy signature was from a Starfleet phaser, but one of a type that hasn't been used for approximately a century. […] they're not the only Starfleet vessel to have visited the Delta Quadrant.

I love love this twist. 2371, 2271, Star Trek: The Motion Picture… ooh, can see we see a refit Constitution class?

When the BBC first heard that Robert Downey, Jr. was considering the role, they were elated. Not only had he pulled off a convincing English accent in Chaplin...not only had he been nominated for an Academy Award for his performance...but he'd also won the BAFTA for it!

God, I love Robert Downey Jr. so very much. Hopefully he doesn't have to wait quite as long as OTL until someone pays the bond for the ATL movie comparable to The Singing Detective.

You're right as well, it's the perfect time period for both the man and the show (regardless of what British "prettyboy" "Classic" Who fans will say :).

Tell me about it.

feelers to David Gerrold about making some contributions to Deep Space 9, and there were talks about bringing back the Tribbles in some manner. It shouldn't be too hard to convince him to come on board in a more official capacity.

Manny Coto springs to mind as a potential new face (I wish Odyssey 5 hadn't been cancelled). He could do some Star Trek instead of some The Outer Limits.

David Gerrold is obviously still into Star Trek (given his participation IOTL with Star Trek: New Voyages/Phase II), the main reason he left the first time around was Roddenberry, and all he's doing at the moment is writing books and the odd script for Twilight Zone and soon Babylon 5. I think it's quite possible he'd come back if he was courted well.

And I think Electric Monk neglected to mention Tim Russ, who I would call a solid second among the OTL cast behind Picardo.

I'd agree with on his ranking, and that he is quite good. I just skipped mentioning him because he's already second-in-command (and head of the Starfleet faction) he'll have plenty of work to sink his teeth into.

but of course, the magic reset button was always pressed and strict adherence to Federation principles was always maintained. Moore, I agree, would absolutely be attracted to an ad hoc Neo-Federation.

Principles vs. survival. The incredibly obvious and fantastic topic that they handwaved everytime. And yeah, Neo-Federation :).

I hope Voyager doesn't make DS9 look bright. I liked it better than DS9.
Will Neelix return to the Alpha Quadrant with the crew? (I was hoping he could meet Odo*, but with both of them being across the universe from each other...
Would RTD be asked to work on the new Doctor? (I prefer him to Moffat...)
Finally, we have left out the big issue- how will this affect the 2004 Illinois Senate Race?

*Bonus points if anyone gets the reference...

I hope Voyager doesn't make DS9 look bright. I liked it better than DS9.
Will Neelix return to the Alpha Quadrant with the crew? (I was hoping he could meet Odo*, but with both of them being across the universe from each other...
Would RTD be asked to work on the new Doctor? (I prefer him to Moffat...)
Finally, we have left out the big issue- how will this affect the 2004 Illinois Senate Race?

*Bonus points if anyone gets the reference...

Is this what you were looking for?

Both series will look very, very different as a result of these moves.

Same with The Doctor.

'Fraid I can't say much more than that....

Joss Whedon was furious.

The WB Network had given the green light for production on his series Buffy The Vampire Slayer. Now they were hemming and hawing. With the number of science fiction shows currently on the air or in pre-production, there was some "concern" among network executives that his show--based on his moderately popular but by no means blockbuster movie--would be lost among the other shows out there. Whedon had gone from office to office, had sent email after email, made call after call, and to no avail. No matter how he tried to frame this as a story about female empowerment, no matter how carefully he tried to explain the differences between horror, science fiction, and fantasy to the network, no matter the quality of the 25 minute sample pilot he'd shot, they didn't seem to care. Instead, the word of the day was "counterprogramming", and the WB had decided to go for a more "urban" audience.

Of course, it's a cliche in Hollywood that a single phone call can change a person's life in seconds, but it's one based in truth. So it was when a dejected Whedon walked out of the WB offices one fateful day. Someone had passed the original script for the "Buffy" movie to Doctor Who executive producer Philip J. Segal, and he'd been enchanted by the screenplay, much more than he had been by the overly broad and comic eventual film. It was a simple offer: Take a meeting. See what you have to bring to the table.

Having little else to do with his time, Joss took the meeting. Two hours later, he found himself sharing Executive Producer credits on what would prove to be the biggest gamble that Fox would take over the upcoming year. There was one issue: Daphne Ashbrook, the Eighth Doctor's new "companion", was not testing well with audiences. Whedon had one suggestion for a replacement:

Two days later, eighteen year old soap opera star Sarah Michelle Gellar showed up at the studio lot to read for the part of Clarissa Fellows, the adventurous and cocky companion to the Eighth Doctor. Whedon thought that she nailed it. While the others weren't so sure, they were eventually swayed by his arguments in her favor, and even the most skeptical among the production staff had to admit that her chemistry with Downey was remarkable.

The U.K. producers were feeling a bit shut out, concerned that they'd given up too much too fast. Wasn't one American in the TARDIS enough, even if he was putting on an English accent? However, the money was flowing in like they'd never seen before, so they chose to remain silent...for the moment.

The Doctor Who producers weren't the only ones going after Whedon. The up-and-coming writer/producer had been receiving positive word of mouth over at the Paramount lot, as well. This reached the ears of Ronald D. Moore, who was now desperate to find someone to take on writing tasks over at Deep Space 9 due to Voyager taking up so much of his time. Unfortunately, by the time that he got in contact with Whedon's agent, Joss had already committed over at Doctor Who. Whedon did send word of a colleague of his who was looking to break into television in a big way, though, and Moore agreed to meet with him at a local coffeehouse.

As it turned out, J.J. Abrams not only had ideas for the show, he had ones that would prove to be the second step in revitalizing the entire Star Trek franchise.