A different husband for Mary Queen of Scots?

VVD0D95

Banned
So, I'm doing some reading on James I of England, and came across something that I thought was quite interesting. When his mother, Mary Queen of Scots initially came to Scotland in 1560, she was welcomed with some mixed emotions, with many being suspicious of her. However, her tolerance and willingness to work with the Protestants endeared her to the nobles, as did the many backbreaking progresses she went on across the Kingdom.

Things only started to go south when she started chasing after Darnley, who most Scottish Nobles thought a fool, and a puppet of his grasping father, Lennox.

So, who could Mary marry that would ensure she doesn't lose the support of the Protestant Lords-the most important faction in Scotland-whilst also ensuring that her smarter impulses-for all that's said about her Mary could be quite smart, she was just very impulsive-remain the dominant part of her thought process?

I think Philip of Spain is probably out, given that Mary was the former Queen of France. But is there perhaps a Scottish noble, of the Protestant sort who could wed her?

@curlyhairedhippie @Kellan Sullivan @FalconHonour @Tyler96 @The Professor @Jonathan

VVD0D95

Banned
I do think it would be quite intriguing to see what happens if James Hamilton, the future 3rd Earl of Arran, marries Mary, and whether or not that would butterfly away his possible insanity etc. Or given how capable and supposedly handsome he was, James' brother John, the otl 1st Marquess of Hamilton.

So, I'm doing some reading on James I of England, and came across something that I thought was quite interesting. When his mother, Mary Queen of Scots initially came to Scotland in 1560, she was welcomed with some mixed emotions, with many being suspicious of her. However, her tolerance and willingness to work with the Protestants endeared her to the nobles, as did the many backbreaking progresses she went on across the Kingdom.

Things only started to go south when she started chasing after Darnley, who most Scottish Nobles thought a fool, and a puppet of his grasping father, Lennox.

So, who could Mary marry that would ensure she doesn't lose the support of the Protestant Lords-the most important faction in Scotland-whilst also ensuring that her smarter impulses-for all that's said about her Mary could be quite smart, she was just very impulsive-remain the dominant part of her thought process?

I think Philip of Spain is probably out, given that Mary was the former Queen of France. But is there perhaps a Scottish noble, of the Protestant sort who could wed her?

@curlyhairedhippie @Kellan Sullivan @FalconHonour @Tyler96 @The Professor @Jonathan
Perhaps she can marry Dudley.

Wasn't there talk of a Gordon match when Mary first got back? ISTR the Lords also wanted a Wittelsbach match for Mary but Mary refused it on grounds of the Lords had nrgotiated it rather than finding it religiously objectionable

VVD0D95

Banned
Wasn't there talk of a Gordon match when Mary first got back? ISTR the Lords also wanted a Wittelsbach match for Mary but Mary refused it on grounds of the Lords had nrgotiated it rather than finding it religiously objectionable

I think there was talk about a Gordon match yes, and a Wittelsbach marriage could be intriguing if somewhat out there for Scotland's interests aha

If Philip had been still free (read Mary’s former sister-in-law Elisabeth of France had married don Carlos as originally planned instead of his father) then he would be the most logical match for her (and both he and Mary would definitely go for it).

VVD0D95

Banned
If Philip had been still free (read Mary’s former sister-in-law Elisabeth of France had married don Carlos as originally planned instead of his father) then he would be the most logical match for her (and both he and Mary would definitely go for it).

Interesting, with all the consequences that would bring for England as well

VVD0D95

Banned
English (read Elizabeth’s) support had helped it a lot, butterfly that and you will see it re-Catholicise in some years

Scotland was pretty firmly Protestant at least in the midlands and the lowlands by the time Mary returned in 1560 no? At least that's the impression I get. The Highlands were pretty Catholic, and the borders were a bit hit and miss.

Scotland was pretty firmly Protestant at least in the midlands and the lowlands by the time Mary returned in 1560 no? At least that's the impression I get. The Highlands were pretty Catholic, and the borders were a bit hit and miss.
After more than two years of Elizabeth’s reign likely, but keep in mind who the Habsburg in their other lands were able to get the population back in the Catholic fold in little time so is likely who Mary’s son or at worst her grandson will inherit a Catholic kingdom

VVD0D95

Banned
After a year of Elizabeth’s reign likely, but keep in mind who the Habsburg in their other lands were able to get the population back in the Catholic fold in little time so is likely who Mary’s son or at worst her grandson will inherit a Catholic kingdom

This is true. Would Philip be sending Alba to Scotland then, to sort out that mess?