A different end to the 12th century;

“The Angevin Empire survives and a Dutch Empire is founded.”

Part 1.1 The Angevin Empire 1189/1199

Richard was born at Beaumont Palace, Oxford, on 8th September, 1157, the third son of Henry II and his French wife, Eleanor of Aquitaine, the daughter of William IX, Duke of Aquitaine and ex wife of King Louis VII of France. Henry was Eleanor's second husband, she was eleven years his senior and their marriage proved to be a stormy one.

From the first, Richard was his mother's favourite son. After the birth of their youngest child, John, Richard's parents drifted into open enmity. King Henry made the beautiful Rosamund Clifford his mistress, it was said that he truly loved her, deeply wounding Richard's mother, Queen Eleanor. The neglected Queen returned to her native Aquitaine, there establishing her own court and taking Richard along with her, who was designated her heir.
In 1172, when he was fourteen years old, Richard was invested with his mother's inheritance of Aquitaine and Poitou at Limoges. He joined his discontented elder brother Henry in rebellion against their father, when Eleanor of Aquitaine attempted to join them in Paris, travelling dressed as a man, she was captured by one of her husband's patrols and was imprisoned for the remainder of Henry II's reign. The untimely death of the young Henry later made Richard heir to the entire Angevin Empire.
Richard was in open rebellion against Henry II when the latter died in 1189 but on succeeding to the throne on he acted generously to William Marshall and to all who had remained loyal to his father and honoured his last wishes. One of his first actions as king was to order the release of his much loved mother, Queen Eleanor, from the captivity she had endured for the last ten years.

His coronation as King of England took place in Westminster Abbey on the 23rd of September 1189. During the ceremony, a dove was seen to flying around the King's head in its erratic flight. Many in those suspicious days saw this as an good omen. Previously on July 20th 1189 he was coroneted Duke of Normandy. He also ruled as Duke of Aquitaine, Duke of Gascony, Lord of Ireland (Ire was partially ruled by England) Count of Anjou, Count of Maine, Count of Nantes, Count of Tours, Count of Poitou, Count of La Marche, Count of Auvergne, Count of Limoges, Count of Perigord, Overlord of Brittany and Overlord of Toulouse.

On 12 May 1190 Princess Berengaria, the daughter of King Sancho VI of Navarre, married Richard I of England and was crowned the same day by the Archbishop of Bordeaux and Bishops of Evreux and Bayonne. The coronation took place at first Richard was betrothed to Alys, daughter of the King Phillip II of France, but since she was his half-sister the Pope Innocent III did not grant permission for their marriage.

Richard's attention was captivated by the Crusade he had promised to lead. England seems to have been regarded as little more than a source of revenue. He is reported to have said "I would sell London itself if only I could find a rich enough buyer." Richard made out a will leaving his nephew, Arthur of Brittany as heir to the entire Angevin Empire. However due to his younger brother John’s rebellion in England at that time he was not able to lead the crusade. Therefore, by July 1190, the French led by King Phillip II set out on their momentous enterprise. (A different chapter)

Richard received disquieting news from England while he was visiting his French possessions with his wife in June 1190 in order to raise taxes for his Crusade, his younger brother John was plotting against him. He immediately left for England. An English Army upon his arrival at Dover was already assembled for the Crusade. Now had had the use it to crush his rebellion which he had started with help of bribed Barons and other nobles who did not joined the Crusader’s army.

It took Richard and his army the better of 1191 the crush his brother’s rebellion. At the last Battle at Nottingham Forest his brother John was captured and upon his return to London he died, probably poisoned. The rebelled Baron’s land was ceased to the Crown which in time put more English revenue in Richard’s coffers. After the crush of the rebellion only a few English Barons were left and Richard was now in full control of his English realm. He still wanted to join the Crusade but he heard rumours at his court of Phillip story’s that Richard was a coward who probably had forced his brother to rebel, so he would not be able to join the Crusade. This infuriated Richard so much the he send some agents to the Holy Land.

On 28 April 1192 King Phillip II of France was murdered at Tyre by two Hashshashin. Rumours circulated that Richard had had some involvement in Phillip’s murder.

When word arrived at Paris about Philip’s death the court was in turmoil. The was no heir, the Crown Prince Louis had just died on May 2nd after he severe fever.

Richard seized the opportunity to get a hold on the Frankish Crown since he believed he was the rightful heir with his mother Eleanor of Aquitaine as his biggest supported. Since there were no children of Philip II and the other “possible” pretenders were in the Holy Land. Already he had gathered an army of over 20,000 men, half of them mercenaries in Normandy under the presumption for joining the Crusade. While his army marched to Paris his Mother went to visit to the Pope, promising him that Richard would continue the intended Crusade after his Coronation at Rheims.

July 8th 1192 Richard and his army arrived at Paris. He was met by the Provost of Merchants of Paris, who informed him that he was invited by the citizens of Paris who wanted to pay homage to their new king. Queen Isabelle who had fled earlier to Hainaut.
With or without the Pope’s consent Richard and his Army set for Rheims after a week’s stay at Paris. Guillaume of Blois Cardinal of Rheims, a pretender to the French Crowm himself but after becoming a bishop of Charters in1165 had had relinquished his rights, anointed and coroneted Richard as King Richard I of France at the Rheims Cathedral on September 30th 1192. Only after he had received papal consent. Celstine III wanted Richard’s aid in gaining control in Sicily, which his mother had promised him he will do so. His Wife was not present at his coronation since she was pregnant of his first son.

His first son and heir was born a few days later on October 8th 1192. He was named Henry after his grandfather .

However not all his fiefs paid homage to him as King of France at his coronation, partly due that some of them where at the Holy Land and did not send there representatives. Thus Richard forfeited all their lands and titles for the exceptions of those who did attent or send their representatives. One of these lands was the Champagne.

Although he wanted to go to London to meet his son, he had to stay in France to take care of matters of state. He appointed a chancellor of all of France including his “Angevin” possessions. The Count of Toulouse did not accept him as King of France so he had to deal with him as well. After his coronation he partly disbanded his Army. He sacked his mercenaries. The remainder of his Army under the command of Baron Robert of Locksley was send in preparation for the invasion of Toulouse to the south of France. At Clermont the Army mad camp and held for winter. Richard Received Papel consent for the capture of Count Raymond VI since he was a supporter of the Cathars. A small sect considered heretical by the Pope.

The Battle of Toulouse commenced on May 6th 1193. It took many battles (Richard gained several victories over the French and he adopted the motto "Dieu et mon Droit" ("God and my Right") which is still used by Angevin monarchs today.) and a four month siege of Toulouse, but Richard finally conquered Toulouse on September 30th 1194. Many of the Cathars were killed during the battle, some converted an small group fled to Aragon.

After a year of being a king of France he finally was de facto King of France. And with the defeat of Raymond VI of Toulouse he also gained his possessions in the Holy Roman Empire, the County of Provence.
The army was disbanded after the Battle of Toulouse. Richard returned to London to meet his son. He still had to aid Pope Innocent III but first he had to attend to England’s affairs of State. Some Baron’s (the few ones left after the rebellion) thought that Richard could ruled England and France by himself. Richard unexpectedly agreed since he wanted to go on a Crusade. He appointed Robin Baron Locksley as “Vicar” of England and he was to rule England in his stead when Richard was not in England. He also gave Robin the Duchy of York, Kent and Essex. In order the secure him enough wealth, and to put put him on top of the English noble peerage, second to the king, to rule in his absence with a solid powerbase since there were still some grunted Barons left.

In the spring of 1195 Richard returned to Paris. He received word that Henry II former Count of Champagne, King of Jerusalem was on his journey back to France to claim his right for the French Crown. Richard persuaded Leopold Duke of Austria to capture him when he crosses his country. Richard paid him the sum 150,000 silver marks. (the first time in history the ransom was paid previous the capture).

July 8th 1196 another son was born. He was named William. He named him Duke of Champagne. To state his right as King of France.

In the spring of 1199, a horde of Roman treasure was discovered by a peasant ploughing a field by Chalus, near Limoges, which was delivered to his lord, Archard of Chalus. Richard, as overlord, claimed the find as his and when it was not forthcoming besieged Chalus with his mercenary captain, Mercadier. On the evening of 26th of March while Richard was walking around the castle directing the siege, an archer, using a frying pan as a shield, fired a crossbow bolt at him from the battlements, he ducked in time (OTL he got wounded and died later that evening) and the bolt embedded passed him by. When the Castle fell, the archer was brought before Richard, who, forgave him, stating "Live on, and by my bounty behold the light of day," he gave orders that he was to be set free and given a hundred shillings.

Ok, this is the first part of the first chapter. (and my first try at an Alternative timline)
I am very cutious the any response, but please keep in mind that this an alternative history board. Anything is possible.........
Below a map of Europe at the end of 1199. The borders of the Angevon Empire are in Black

europe_map_1199 R.jpg

Last edited:

Philip

Donor
Richard seized the opportunity to get a hold on the Frankish Crown since he believed he was the rightful heir with his mother Eleanor of Aquitaine as his biggest supported. Since there were no children of Philip II and the other “possible” pretenders were in the Holy Land. Already he had gathered an army of over 20,000 men, half of them mercenaries in Normandy under the presumption for joining the Crusade. While his army marched to Paris his Mother went to visit to the Pope, promising him that Richard would continue the intended Crusade after his Coronation at Rheims.

Seems to me that any contender who is in the Holy Land can make a strong case that Richard has violated the Peace of God. I don't see the pope being overly supportive of Richard.

Seems to me that any contender who is in the Holy Land can make a strong case that Richard has violated the Peace of God. I don't see the pope being overly supportive of Richard.

Philip you're right about Richard breaking his oath for the "Pax Die" with his hand in the dead of Philip II. However,Since the Pope was not aware that Richard had any part in the Murder of Phillip II and the bribe of the Duke of Austria, he did not violate the the Pax Die legally . His brother John violated the Peace of God as well and there Richard was in his right to take action. And as a pretender to the throne of France he had the right to claim it. Raymond of Toulouse he in this timeline did not join the Crusade for dubious reasons broke the peace of God as well. The Pope Celestine III also wanted Richard support for his plans in Italy. Continueing the plans of Pope Alexander III.

Last edited:
A few observations:

1)
The current Count of Flanders Baldwin was also Latin Emperor

The Latin Empire was only founded after the Sack of Constantinople, on 1204, during the Fourth Crusade, while the events described are still at the Third Crusade.

2)
He also gave Robin the Duchy of York, Kent and Essex.

England only began having duchies in 1337, and even if King Richard would create the title earlier in the English Peerage, I doubt he (or any other english king) would create it for anyone except a relative, most likely a son. After all, the first Duke in the history of english peerage was also the Prince of Wales!

A few observations:

1)

The Latin Empire was only founded after the Sack of Constantinople, on 1204, during the Fourth Crusade, while the events described are still at the Third Crusade.

2)

England only began having duchies in 1337, and even if King Richard would create the title earlier in the English Peerage, I doubt he (or any other english king) would create it for anyone except a relative, most likely a son. After all, the first Duke in the history of english peerage was also the Prince of Wales!

Many thanks for your observations,

1) The 3rd Crusade ITL happend diiferent than OTL, that's why Baldwin IS Latin Emperor.
2) Richard appointend Robin is a Duke in order the put on top peerage in England. And Wales will be a differnent story...

Many thanks for your observations,

1) The 3rd Crusade ITL happend diiferent than OTL, that's why Baldwin IS Latin Emperor.
2) Richard appointend Robin is a Duke in order the put on top peerage in England. And Wales will be a differnent story...

No problem, just trying to help.

1) How different has the 3rd Crusade gone?
2) The bit about the Prince of Wales (in the aforementioned case, The Black Prince himself) was more to reinforce the importance of been a Duke, what with Prince of Wales been the title of heir to the throne in OTL, not anything about Wales itself. As Wales was only conquered by Edward I, with a POD about Richard I, Wales is logically going to be a different story.
But why would Richard want to reinforce Robin's status so that simply appointing him Earl and Regent would not due?

1) How different has the 3rd Crusade gone?

Evidently differently enough that they sack Constantinople a decade ahead of schedule... Which doesn't really follow.

And am I the only person who noticed that this timeline involves Robin Hood?

On a more serious note, the Pope is going to be mad as hell at Richard. Taking advantage of the Peace of God and a rival's absence on crusade to invade, bribing a third party to arrest other crusaders returning home (for that matter, why didn't the french return as soon as Philip died?). Not the actions of a Christian king.

Back on the issue of Locksley, he isn't going to be made duke. The title won't even exist until the time of Edward III, IIRC, and even then would denote direct blood relations of the King for centuries. he may be given lands, although this raises the issue of who is losing lands for Locksley's benefit, how they react, and why Richard is concentrating so much power in one man's hands... More likely he is just named Chancellor or Regent or some such title, and governs in the king's stead.

Philip

Donor
Evidently differently enough that they sack Constantinople a decade ahead of schedule... Which doesn't really follow.

And on what pretext do they take Constantinople. At least with the Fourth, they could pretend it was to restore the deposed Isaac.

I also wonder how Celestine III will react to the Sack of Constantinople compared to Innocent III's reaction IOTL.

And am I the only person who noticed that this timeline involves Robin Hood?
I noticed and tried to ignore. I was hoping to see how the author planned on creating a Dutch identity with a POD in the 12th Century.

On a more serious note, the Pope is going to be mad as hell at Richard. Taking advantage of the Peace of God and a rival's absence on crusade to invade, bribing a third party to arrest other crusaders returning home (for that matter, why didn't the french return as soon as Philip died?). Not the actions of a Christian king.
Exactly my point. If the pope can't protect a king's lands while he is away, no future kings will consider taking up the cross (@Imperator Hollandica: How does the pope not know about the Peace of God? He instituted it.)

Last edited:
Wouldn't Richard have risked mass mutiny by using his crusading army to crush rebellions? Certainly many would feel that they were in the right to desert the king and make their own way to Judea.

And on what pretext do they take Constantinople. At least with the Fourth, they could pretend it was to restore the deposed Isaac.

And the fourth only went to Byzantium in the first place to appease the Venetians. Who are not involved in the third crusade. Barbarossa marched through europe and asia minor, so he might, i suppose, have had potential for involvement in the City. A german sack of Constantinople would be interesting. But the french fleet would never have come near the city, so how did they sack it?

I also wonder how Celestine III will react to the Sack of Constantinople compared to Innocent III's reaction IOTL.

A good question, and one that I feel I am unqualified to answer. initial reaction, i would think, would be a bit irritated at this excursion.

I noticed and tried to ignore. I was hoping to see how the author planned on creating a Dutch identity with a POD in the 12th Century.

That would be interesting, and I was also wondering how. maybe a surviving Angevin empire tries to expand into flanders; galvanizes the region into some sort of Proto-nationalism?

Exactly my point. If the pope can't protect a king's lands while he is away, no future kings will consider taking up the cross (@Imperator Hollandica: How does the pope not know about the Peace of God? He instituted it.)

Exactly. The pope may at times have more... realpolitick reasons to ignore the actions of temporal rulers, but letting people like Richard rampage around while their rivals are on crusades kills any chance that those lords will go on crusade at a later date. Richard has more or less lost any support from the Papacy that he might have.

And, Imperator Hollandica, the pope at the time is actually Celestine III, from 1191 on. Innocent III is not elevated until 1198.

Wouldn't Richard have risked mass mutiny by using his crusading army to crush rebellions? Certainly many would feel that they were in the right to desert the king and make their own way to Judea.

Depends on motivation. Anybody acting out of faith or deference to the Pope will be at the very least uncomfortable with this turn of events, and desertions, perhaps even a piecemeal crusade or two is possible. Those following their sovereign will do as he bids, although the idea of making war on their overlord may unsettle some. Crusaders going along for riches may be a bit annoyed not to head for the Levant, but as long as the money flows, they will follow.

Faeelin

Banned
I think Richard is doing too well, alas. First, wars are expensive. But if you compare the slog through Normany in OTL with what's going on here... well. The Albigensian Crusade illustrates how long and difficult a conquest might be.

Ok People thanks for your comments.

I have edited the story a bit. I wanted to merge the 3rd and 4th crusade in one. But that did not make the storry any plausiable. So no Latin Emperor in 1193!
I also mixed up the popes. It had to be Celestine III insted of Innocentus III.
Robin will remain a Duke. As King Richard has a right to apoint Dukes.Richard is more interested in France than England.

Also the matter with the Cathars is settled for the next deccenia.

The rise of the Dutch Empire will be the 2nd chapter. If it ever will come to that.

Please keep the comments comming...
Imperator Hollandica.

Last edited:
I'm always interested in TLs that remove Philippe :D
Some nitpicks not covered:

1) The Alys of the Vexin that Richard was betrothed to is not his half sister - she's the daughter of Alice of Champage - and went on to marry Count William of Ponthieu. Richard's halfsister Alice by his mother Eleanor and Louis married Theobald of Blois. Though it's quite understandable that why they get confused :D

2) Robin as Baron of Loxley didn't really exist! It's a later invention of the Robin Hood legend.

3) I'm surprised there was little opposition to Richard's claim to France.
Since Salic Law was not yet a bar to the French throne there would be other claimants with a better claim than Richard:

The sons of Eleanor & Louis's 1st daughter Marie - Henry II of Champagne (recently King of Jerusalem) and Theobald (future III of Champagne). Their sister's husband Baldwin of Flanders-Hainaut might also be able to claim in their absence/underageness.
The son of Eleanor & Louis's 2nd daughter Alice - Louis I Count of Blois.

Plus anyone who marries Philippe's sister Alix would have a claim, though no doubt she can be sent off to a nunnery or something.

A different 13th century;

“The Angevin Empire survives and a Dutch Empire is founded.”

Part 1.2 Holy Roman Empire 1190/1200

Holy Roman Empire:

Born in Nijmegen, Henry VI was the son of the emperor Frederick I, Holy Roman Emperor and Beatrix of Burgundy, and was crowned King of the Romans at Bamberg in June 1169, at the age of four. After having taken the reins of the Empire from his father, who had gone on the (3rd) Crusade, in 1189-1190 he suppressed a revolt by Henry the Lion former duke of Saxony and Bavaria a relative of Frederick.

Constance of Sicily was betrothed to Henry in 1184, and they were married on 27 January 1186. Constance was the sole legitimate heir of William II of Sicily and, after the latter's death in November 1189, Henry had the opportunity of adding the Sicilian crown to the imperial one, as his father had died crossing the Saleph River in Cilicia 10 June 1190.

In April 1191, in Rome, Henry and Constance were crowned Emperor and Empress by Pope Celestine III. The crown of Sicily, however, was harder to gain, as the barons of southern Italy had chosen a grandson of Roger II, Tancred, count of Lecce, as their king. Henry began his work besieging Naples, but he had to return to Germany (where Henry the Lion had revolted again) after his army had been heavily hit by an epidemic. Constance, who stayed behind in the palace at Salerno, was betrayed by the Salernitians, handed over to Tancred, and only released on the intervention of Celestine III, who in return recognized Tancred as King of Sicily.

Henry had a stroke of fortune when Richard I of England, asked him to buy the County of the Province, currently held by the Count of Toulouse and in therefore recognizing him as King of France. Henry managed to exact from Richard an amount of 100,000 silver marks, a huge sum for that age. Also William of Holland offered him a large sum of money for transferring the bishopric of Utrecht as an Temporal County to him. And with this money, he could raise a powerful army to conquer southern Italy.

With Henry VI accepting Richard as King of France and him being busy with his army in Italy, Richard had gained a powerful ally.
Henry VI was granted free passage in Northern Italy, signing with the Italian communes a treaty in January 1194.
The following April he also reached a settlement with Henry the Lion. In February Tancred died, leaving as heir a young boy, William III. Henry VI met little resistance and entered Palermo, capital city of the Kingdom of Sicily, on 20 November 1194, and was crowned on 25 December. He is also said to have had the young William blinded and castrated, while many Sicilian nobles were burned alive. Some, how ever, like the Siculo-Greek Eugene of Palermo, transitioned into the new Hohenstaufen government with ease.

In 1197 the tyrannical power of the foreign King in Italy spurred a revolt, especially in southern Sicily, where Arabs were the majority of the population, which his German soldiers suppressed mercilessly. In the same year Henry prepared for a Crusade, but, on 28 September, he suffered of malaria, he survived but was to weak to go on a crusade. Henry VI died January 5 1200 in Messina.

The Rise of the Dutch Empire

The next chapter is about the rise of the Dutch Empire.

The first part of the story is in line with OTL, but I had to mention it due to future reference and in founding the story.

I hope you will enjoy it.

I love to read your comments.

A Dutch Empire is founded.”

Part 2 The Low Countries Europe 938/1200

The rise of a Dutch Empire

Holland

The rising status of the House of Holland was shown when in 938, Dirk II married at the age of 8 with Hildegard of Flanders, daughter of Arnulf I, Count of Flanders. The count of Holland was in this period more of a military commander who had to resist Viking raids, and subject to the authority of the Bishopric of Utrecht.

In 985, King Otto III, at the request of his mother Theophanu, granted the ownership of a number lands to count Dirk II. These lands had already been given in loan. This was the area between the rivers Lier and IJssel) - a Gau (Shire) called Maasland (Meuse land)-, Villa Sunnimeri, the area between the rivers Medemelaka and Chinnelosara gemerchi - Kinnheim - and Texla, another Gau.
In 993, count Arnulf of Gent (Gand) was killed in a battle near Winkel in an attempt to quell the rebellious Frisians.

At that time the regions of West-Friesland and Kennemerland were still connected. Arnulf's son, count Dirk III of Holland was too young to rule, so his mother Lutgardis of Luxemburg acted as regent. In 1005 Dirk was old enough to take over the rulership himself, but he still made thankful use of the good connections that his mother had made. According to Thietmar of Merseburg a reconciliation with the Frisians was arranged with help from his uncle in-law, king Henry II, who travelled with an army from Utrecht to quell the Frisian revolt.

As a result of a promise he had made during the Frisian rebellion, Dirk III went on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem. When he returned, the northern side of his county had become unsafe, so he travelled south and started loaning lands around present day Vlaardingen in order to cultivate it. He also built a castle at Silva Meriwido, the future Vlaardingen. From this castle he forced merchants that travelled per ship from Tiel to England to pay toll.

The Merchants complained at the Diet of Nijmegen in 1018, where it was decided to act against Dirk III. An army led by Godfrey II Duke of Lower Lorraine, consisting of a fleet with soldiers from the Bishopric of Utrecht, Cologne and Liege, was surprisingly defeated by Dirk III in the Battle of Vlaardingen.
So as not to weaken the protection the county of Holland offered against the Viking raids, king Henry II decided to let the matter rest, though he did strengthen the position of the Bishop of Utrecht, the nominal feudal lord of the counts of Holland. Nonetheless Dirk managed to expand his territory to the east at the cost of the Bishopric of Utrecht.

After the death of Heny II in 1024, Dirk III supported the candidature of Conrad II in an attempt to reconcile with the imperial authorities, so as to keep the lands he had acquired, or expand them even further.
Emperor Conrad II died during a stay in Utrecht in 1039 during the rule of Bishop Bernold, after which his organs were interred in the Dom Church of Utrecht. His son and successor, Henry III, granted numerous favors to the bishopric of Utrecht. In this way, the Oversticht was assigned to the bishopric in 1040.
Though the count of Holland had been reconciled with the emperor, Henry III still decided to punish the count. In 1046 the emperor forced Dirk IV to relinquish the lands he had conquered. However, the emperor was not able to maintain himself in the area and was forced to retreat, after which Dirk IV started to raid and plunder the bishoprics of Utrecht and Liege. Moreover, Dirk signed treaties with Godfrey the Bearded, duke of Lower Lorraine, as well as the counts of Flanders and Hainaut. The Emperor responded with a second punitive expedition in which Vlaardingen and the castle at Rijnsburg were taken from Dirk IV. The castle was completely destroyed. However, the emperor suffered heavy losses during his retreat, upon which Dirk's allies openly revolted against the emperor.

In 1049 Dirk IV was lured into a trap and killed by the bishops of Metz, Liege and Utrecht. Dirk died young, unmarried and childless. He was succeeded by his brother Floris I.

Floris I managed to expand his territory with a small area within the Rijnland Gau, an area called Holtland ("Woodland"), or Holland. It is most likely that this name soon became synonymous with Floris' whole territory. In 1061 a war broke out, in which it is not clear whether it was against Brabant, Utrecht or Liege. During this war Floris was ambushed and killed. His son Dirk V was still a minor, so his mother Gertrude of Saxony became regent. Gertrude remarried in 1063 with Robert I, who also acted as regent for Dirk V.

In 1064, Emperor Henry IV donated lands belonging to the county of Holland, 'west of the Vlie and around the banks of the Rhine' (the Gau of Westflinge), to William, Bishop of Utrecht, on who's support the Emperor could count. Dirk V was only allowed to keep the Gau of Masaland. Through battles in 1071 and 1072, William of Utrecht, with support from Duke Godfrey IV of Lower Lorraine, managed to gain actual control over the lands in questions. After both William and Godfrey died in 1076, Robert I and his stepson Dirk V besieged IJsselmonde and managed to capture the new bishop Conrad of Swabia, who was forced to return the lands to Dirk V's control. The bishop purchased his liberty by surrendering all claim to the disputed lands.Dirk V was succeeded by Floris II upon his death in 1091.

Floris II, Count of Holland (reigned 1091—March 2, 1121), was the first from the native dynasty of Holland to be called Count of Holland. After ending the conflict with the Bishop of Utrecht In 1101 he was endowed with the title of Count of Holland by the bishop of Utrecht, after acquiring Rhineland (Leiden and surroundings) ('comes de Hollant', up until that time the counts' dominion had been officially referred to as Frisia).

Around 1108, Floris II married Petronila, the daughter of Thierry II, the Duke of Lower Lorraine.

Dirk VI of Holland (ca. 1114 – 5 August 1157) was Count of Holland between 1121 and 1157. When his father died in 1122, Dirk was only 7 years old and his mother, Petronilla, governed the county as regent. In 1123 she supported the uprising of her half-brother, Lothair of Süpplingenburg, Duke of Saxony against Emperor Henry V. After Lothair had been elected king of Germany himself in 1125 he returned Leiden and Rijnland to Holland, which had both been awarded to the Bishop of Utrecht in 1064 (Later on during Dirk's reign the wooden fortifications at Leiden would be replaced by a stone castle). Because Petronilla saw little ability or ambition in Dirk as he grew up, she stalled letting go of the regency when he reached adulthood (fifteen years old).

(So far the story was in line with OTL, from now on the history differs a lot)

Floris III of Holland (1141 – August 1, 1200), Count of Holland from 1157 to 1200. He was a son of Dirk VI and Sophie of Luxemburg, heiress of Bentheim.
On September 28, 1162 he married Ada, sister of king William I of Scotland, also known as William the Lion. The county of Holland adopted from him the rampant lion in the coat of arms and the name of William.

Floris III was a loyal vassal to Frederick I Barbarossa. He accompanied the emperor on two expeditions to Italy in 1158 and 1176-1178. Frederick thanked him by making Floris part of the imperial nobility.

The emperor gave Floris the toll right of Geervliet, the most important toll station in Holland at that time. This was actually the legalisation of an existing situation, because the counts of Holland had charged tolls illegally since the start of the 11th century. He also received the Counties Oostergo, Westergo and Zeewolde (OTL the Dutch province of Friesland.) The past two centuries the Counts of Holland and the Bishops of Utrecht. The Frisians never accepted any of the parties as their Lord. But this time Floris with aid of his army gained control of these counties. 1169 a treaty with the local leaders was drawn up in which they accepted Floris as their Lord but the kept their nominal independence as long as they paid the annually monetary tribute.

War broke out between Flanders and Holland. Count Philip of Flanders wanted to have Zeeland. At the Battle of Brugge (Bruges) Floris captured Philip and he forced him to accept Dutch over lordship of Zeeland as ransom in 1167.

Many farmers came to Holland to turn the swamps into agricultural lands. Dikes and dams were build and the border between Holland and the bishopric of Utrecht had to be determined. There was a dispute between Floris and the bishop of Utrecht about a new dam in the Rhine at Zwammerdam in 1165, which had to be settled by emperor Frederick. The brother of Floris, Baldwin became bishop of Utrecht in 1178. Frederick also settled the matter of Zeeland. It was awarded to the House of Holland.

In 1186 his youngest son William (September 1 1163 – August 3 1221) married Marguerite of Brabant, only daughter to Godfrey III Duke of Brabant & Lower Lorraine.

(Duchy of Brabant
The Duchy of Brabant was formally erected in 1183/1184. The title "Duke of Brabant" was created by the German Emperor Frederick Barbarossa in favor of Henry I, son of Godfrey III of Leuven (Louvain) Godfrey III of Leuven (who was Duke of Lower Lorraine at that time). The Duchy of Brabant was a feudal elevation of the since 1085/1086 existing title of Landgraviate of Brabant. This was an Imperial fief which was assigned to Count Henry III of Leuven shortly after the death of the preceding Count of Brabant, Count Palatine Herman II of Lorraine († September 20, 1085). In 1190, after the death of Godfrey III, Henry I also became Duke of Lower Lorraine. This title was now practically without territorial authority, but was borne by the later Dukes of Brabant as an honorific title.)

In 1170 a great flood caused immense devastation in the north and helped to form the Zuider Zee.

In 1189 Floris accompanied Frederick Barbarossa upon the third Crusade, of which he was a distinguished leader. Godfrey III Duke of Brabant & Lower Lorraine joined the crusade as well. However he died crossing the Saleph River in Cilicia 10 June 1190 as did the Emperor. As he crossed the river just behind the Emperor he got hit by the Emperor’s horse.:D

Since he only had one daughter who’s married to William of Holland. She became the next Duchess as her husband claimed the title of Duke of Brabant and Lower Lorraine.

On August 3rd 1191 the couple were inaugurated, as was the custom in Brabant, as Duke and Duchess of Brabant. Only after promising the local nobility that local customs would be adhered to. Since Brabant was one of the few counties which a allowed to cities to rule themselves without direct rule of the Prince.

At this time the House of Holland ruled the northern part of low countries with the exception of the Duchy of Guelders. Something they will deal with soon.
Upon Floris III his return of his Crusade and Pilgrimage to the Holy Land in September 1195 he started to make plans to incorporate Utrecht , Frisia and Brabant into a single country.

Of course there was some opposition of the local nobility. He therefore awarded them lordships (heerlijkheden in Dutch) all around his lands. Especially in the Oversticht which lordship was largely ruled by local clergy. He also set up an central court in an castle he ordered to be built on grounds recently purchased. The Castle and recent established town was called The Counts Hague or simply The Hague. The Caste was finished early 1200.

In his Court he set up a Council, the General States, all the nobility and two citizen of each town were invited to join this Council and advise the Count/Duke in matters of state. This helped the Count/Duke to levy taxes much easier than before. And the coffers filled with revenue for his future battle plans.
New roads were constructed to link all the in portend cities of the realm. At the end of the 11th century commerce was thriving than ever before. Brabant was already thriving due to its commerce with Flanders and being a link between the German hinterlands of Flanders its commerce.

Upon Floris III his dead of old age on August 1, 1200 he was one of the richest men of Europe only second to Richard I of England.
His son William took control of Holland and held is inauguration at his new castle at The Hague in the “Ridderzaal” on August 28 1200 he was inaugurated as Count of Holland, Zeeland , Utrecht and Frisia.

The map below show the Low Countries at 1200.
The lands in red are ruled by the House of Holland.
The light-green Lands are ruled by the House of Flanders.

De nederkanden 1200.gif

Renovatio Imperii Romanorum !

Emperor Richard I

With the death of Emperor Henry VI died, there was no clear successor. Although the prince of Germany had met in 1196 an 1198 no king was chosen. Otto of Brunswick and Henry VI’s son Frederick were the favorites, but neither had the support of the majority despite the Pope’s support for Otto.

Richard the most powerful King at that time seized once again the opportunity. His dream of a great Empire under the House of Anjou-Plantagenet could come through.

He persuaded Otto to withdraw from the election by promising him that upon his election to return him his duchy of Saxony and have him elevated as King of Saxony.

Richard received support from Floris III of Holland as well, as a duke of (lower) Lorraine Floris had a vote as well. Floris was his biggest supporter since he had set his mind of his son becoming a King. But his biggest supporter became Pope Innocent III. The Pope wanted to limited the power of the Hohenstaufen dynasty and furthermore to undo the threat of uniting Italy with Germany. Already Innocent III was the guardian of Henry VI’s son and thereby ruling of Sicily.

The “elector” dukes of Bavaria and Franconia were promised more sovereign rights, mostly regarding taxation. Richard was rich enough. His lands provided him with sufficient funds and when he'd become King of Italy he would have enough to pay for another Crusade, which he still longed for. The only opponent left was Philip of Swabia who was in favour of himself if not his younger nephew and son of Henry VI.

In April 1200 the German princes met in Frankfurt and persuaded by Papal authority chose Richard as the King. Richard took control of Aachen (Aix la Chapelle) the place of coronation, and was crowned by Adolf, Archbishop of Cologne, on July 14, 1200. The coronation was done with the imperial Regalia, which the Pope had send to Aachen from Palermo.

Richard now newly crowned King of the Romans was eager in being crowned Emperor. Within a month his party reached the Burgundian city of Arles where at the cathedral of Monza he was crowned King of Burgundy. In September he was received by the people of Milan and The Iron Crown of Lombardy was conferred in the Church of St. Ambrose at Milan.

And finally late November 1200 Richard with his court reached the gates of Rome.

The ceremony was set for Christmas Day 1200.

Before the coronation proper Richard and his wife Berengaria went in procession first to the Church of St. Mary in Turri, where he took an oath to protect the Roman Church and was formally received as a canon of the church by its canons. The imperial party then proceded to the basilica of St. Peters. Richard was met at the silver door of St. Peter's, where the first coronation prayer was recited over him by the Bishop of Albano. He then entered the church, where the Bishop of Porto said a second prayer. The Litany of the Saints where then sung while Richard and Berengaria lay prostrate before the altar of St. Peter. Richard was then anointed by the Bishop of Ostia on his right arm and between his shoulders with oil of the catechumens before the altar of St. Maurice, patron saint of the empire with the formula, "God, the Son of God,..." Following this, he proceeded to the high altar, where the pope Innocentius III handed him a sword which he first flourished, then sheathed. The pope next delivered the sceptre to the Emperor, then placed first a mitre and then the crown upon his head. The Empress was similarly greeted at the silver door by a bishop, anointed on her breast and then received the mitre and was crowned by the pope. The ceremony was concluded with a Coronation Mass. After the Gradual, the Laudes regiae were chanted. At the Offertory the Emperor served the pope in the manner of a subdeacon, handing him the chalice and the water crust.

On December 25, 1200 Richard I ruled an Empire larger than Charlemagne 400 years ago.:)

Next chapter will be about the 4th crusade:mad:, the 4th Lateran Council:D, the new Pope :cool:and his reforms in Germany….:confused:

Below the Map of Europe on 25-12-1200.
The colour light brown representing the Empire of Richard.
England, France and the holy roman empire.

Red is the Byzantine Empire.

Europe  25 12 1200.png

Last edited: