1516 - Time of sorrows
Marie, Queen of Lorraine was crying desperately while King Charles was trying to confort her and at the same time to not let his own tears to fall, as he was equally sad: they were both still so young, only twenty and sixteen, but Marie‘s recent miscarriage of their second child had deeply wounded both of them. One of Marie’s English maids of honour, a blonde girl, who if he was not mistaken was the daughter of the English ambassador, had tried earlier to cheer them bringing the little Duke of Burgundy from his nursery, but without result as seeing their much beloved one year old son had cheered him but had not been enough for lessening his Marie‘s despair and Charles was truly suffering more for the state of his beloved and his inability to made her feel better than for their loss, and he had wanted and been happy for that second baby as Marie was. Still he hated to be unable to say or doing anything who would lessen Marie’s sufferance but in this last five terrible days anything he had said or done for trying to comfort his wife had only worsened the situation and he felt to have exhausted his options.

Margaret of Savoy had not expected to ever return to Mechelen, after leaving the city for retiring in her lands when Charles had married Marie and taken the government in his own hands, freeing her from any court duties, but she would have not cared more for Charles if he had truly been her own son, so she had departed for reaching him as soon she had heard of Marie’s miscarriage and as soon she arrived was grateful for having made the right choice as the young Queen clearly needed help for overcome her despair and Margaret knew far too well the state in which the poor Marie was right now.
Charles had never been so grateful to see his aunt and foster mother than in that moment and had left Marie to her care as soon Margaret asked them and still more when Marie had looked on the way of healing a day after Margaret’s arrival.

Last edited:
Awww poor Mary and Charles are devastated by their loss. They are at least both still young and have time to have plenty of other children.
Yes, specially poor Mary is devastated but luckily Margaret is here and will help her to recover. Charles is suffering in part for the loss of the baby but much more because he love Mary and can not bear to see her in that state (and he is also sixteen so has no idea of what he can do for her)

Wait, why is that her title? And surely she should be called Maria here?
If I remember correctly Lorraine was created as a crown for the couple before Charles inherits the HRE, and as for the name, well Marie could work just as well as Charles is more culturally Burgundian/French than German.
Exactly on both points. Charles is still too young for being elected King of the Romans but has already his own hereditary kingdom as Ferdinand of Aragon paid the Emperor for its creation (most of money came from Castile but everything was paid and that do not include only Charles‘ new crown). French is the main language at Burgundian court so Mary Tudor is now called Marie as Charles will likely call her in that way (and also for better differentiate her from her sister-in-law, Archduchess Mary as she now live in Vienna but they could be named in the same conversation by relatives, plus I have Mary Boleyn as one of Marie’s ladies-in-waiting)

Eh that is true. I wonder if they end up happier than Charles/Isabella IOTL (as they barely saw each other after marriage)
Charles and Isabella were perfectly happy together in OTL, but they will be also happy here with their ATL spouses- Plus here they would both marry much younger and would get to actually spend much more time with them as neither Charles or Ferdinand will need to make the same level of travels of OTL Charles.

Charles and Isabella were perfectly happy together in OTL, but they will be also happy here with their ATL spouses- Plus here they would both marry much younger and would get to actually spend much more time with them as neither Charles or Ferdinand will need to make the same level of travels of OTL Charles.
I did love Charles/Isabella IOTL but Charles/Mary is a fascinating idea and I love it too. Well, spending more time with each other can only benefit a couple.

Exactly on both points. Charles is still too young for being elected King of the Romans but has already his own hereditary kingdom as Ferdinand of Aragon paid the Emperor for its creation (most of money came from Castile but everything was paid and that do not include only Charles‘ new crown). French is the main language at Burgundian court so Mary Tudor is now called Marie as Charles will likely call her in that way (and also for better differentiate her from her sister-in-law, Archduchess Mary as she now live in Vienna but they could be named in the same conversation by relatives, plus I have Mary Boleyn as one of Marie’s ladies-in-waiting)
Mary Boleyn? Let's hope Charles doesn't do what two of his contemporary kings did IOTL...

Gota to feel for Charles and Marie.

Hopefully this pulls them close together.
Things were going far too well for them and I sort of hinted who things would change soon in their last chapter… Still they are young and in love so

Mary Boleyn? Let's hope Charles doesn't do what two of his contemporary kings did IOTL...
She was for sure mistress only of Henry. And Charles was a faithful husband in OTL… Plus Mary Boleyn is devoted to Queen Marie (and while she is NOT particularly happy to be in Burgundy, because her father is there and Anne had made quite an impression, she know who returning in England would be much worse as Anne is the favorite maid of honour of Queen Eleanor)

And Francis called her the "English mare" and an "infamous whore" and a "hackney" for no reason, I'm sure
We have no proof who Francis EVER said that of her. If you look at the primary sources they were strongly anti-Boleyn and reported many things NOT true together with that rumours

We have no proof who Francis EVER said that of her. If you look at the primary sources they were strongly anti-Boleyn and reported many things NOT true together with that rumours
I mean, the rumors PREDATE Anne's eventual infamy (I use this word to describe contemporary Catholic attitude towards her). No reason to smear this random family who didn't offend anyone powerful...yet

1516 - Family time
Philiberta de Medici, Duchess of Nemours and lady of Florence was cradling her little daughter, Lucrezia, only few weeks old, when her husband Giuliano entered in the room and his eyes immediately lit seeing little Lucrezia in her mother’s arm. Philiberta knew who she had been lucky as Giuliano had not be deluded for the fact who his first legitimate child was only a daughter and instead was never too tired for look and admire their baby. The young Duchess was unable to not smile when her husband arrived near her, giving her a quick kiss before taking little Lucrezia in his hands and started to babbling nonsense to his baby girl who was enjoying the attentions as always.
Giuliano was happy to have a so little wonderful daughter and as he had promised to accept any child who God would gift to him and Philiberta and also because Lorenzo, who had been rather crossed during the majority of Philiberta’s pregnancy, was not seeing the infant girl as a threat and had stopped to be suspicious and returned to his usual vices, leaving Giuliano to shelter his wife from the very bad habits of his nephew.