A Christian State formed during the Indian Partition?

As Jinnah and the Muslim League were granted the nation of Pakistan, could anything similar have been provided for the Christians? It's a really interesting scenario which popped up in my head a while ago, and I'm guessing this Christian nation would most likely be carved out of Northeast India, from the states of Nagaland, Mizoram, Manipur, Meghalaya and perhaps even Arunachal Pradesh. How could a Christian nationalist movement rise in the subcontinent prior to Indian Independence?

Wouldn't Kerala, way down south, be at the very least an equally plausible candidate?
Kerala does have the largest population of Christians in India, but they do not form a majority in any district of the state. On the contrary, most of the Northeastern states have a Christian majority. I'd say Goa is another likely candidate, especially since Portugal decided to keep it as a territory even after Indian independence just for the sake of protecting the Christian populace of the region.

Some major problems:

- Christian population is really small. Mihgt be large enough for creation of viable Christian nation but it hasn't such pressure towards India for helping creation of Christian state.
- Was there even any prominent Christian polirician who could had been able to achieve such thing?
- I doubt that India would allow that anyway.

You'd probably need an earlier POD that established a considerable Christian population in the Chittagong area, too, so that that could be included in your prospective north-eastern state to keep it from being land-locked: Converting Assam as well, so that it doesn't form a Hindu/Indian protrusion into that region, would be an additional help...
(Perhaps keep Assam as a princely state, rather than integrated into British India, and have it princes convert then encourage their subjects to do likewise?; Perhaps also have the Kingdom of Mrauk U, in the Arakan, survive & convert similarly and then be left with India when Burma was split off again in the late 1930s?) A new nation with those boundaries would be comparable in size to OTL East Bengal/Bangladesh... and if there was still an East Pakistan/Bangladesh ITTL then it might well lack not only the Chittagong Hill Tracts but also the [formerly part of Assam] Sylhet district as well.

EDIT: Maybe a dynastic marriage results in Assam & Mrauk U being held in personal union by a single line of monarchs, or maybe they retain separate kings who share power with one or more other local rulers (Manipur, most probably, and perhaps Tripura too) in either a rotating monarchy (c.f. OTL Malaysia) or a 'Ruling Council'? Being ruled by "Three Kings" (Assam, Mrauk U, and then the other two -- whose individual realms are smaller & poorer -- alternating?) does sound nicely Christian, after all... :biggrin:

Last edited:
Could create a Christian state in the Northeast - Assam, Nagaland, Meghalaya, Mizoram and Manipur -
with Goa an outpost of this country giving it sea access.

Yesustan sounds like a good name for it ha