A Brother’s Betrayal

This is my second attempt for my first timeline*. This is more or less an introduction and I hope it generates enough interest for me to continue. I will update it very irregular. If there are any comments about it, including gramatical errors please post them. As you see this timeline focusses on the Netherlands, but most certainly not only the Netherlands. I have also ideas what will happen with France, Germany, the UK, etc. I have a broad outline about what will happen up to the start of the 20th century, but a lot of things still can change if i see any interesting comments or ideas.
Anyway here it is.

*My first attempt about a surviving New Netherlands ended because I didn't have any good ideas about what would happen next.

A Brother’s Betrayal
The invasion of the British at Walcheren in 1809 had large consequences for the Kingdom of Holland. Napoleon was extremely angry at his brother, Louis Napoleon (or Lodewijk Napoleon in Dutch), even though Louis had done everything he could to remove the British from Zeeland. In december 1809 the emperor annexed Walcheren to France. At the start of 1810 the king of Holland was summoned to Paris for an audience with his brother. Napoleon made it clear to him that he wanted to annex all of the territories south of the Rhine; France would finally get the Rhine border it had wanted for centuries. If Louis wouldn’t get his act together, he would also annex the rest of the kingdom. Louis napoleon tried to convince his brother not to annex the southern part of his kingdom, but to no end. After this conference Louis returned disappointed his palace in Haarlem. He feared that the end of his kingdom was close and that his brother would annex as soon as possible. He saw only one way to keep it, all of it, and that was to make a deal with the enemy: Great Britain. He summoned Willem Bilderdijk, his teacher in the Dutch language and asked him if he knew any smugglers who traded with Great Britain. Bilderdijk, of course, denied any knowledge of smuggling, but he told the king that he might know someone, who might know of some smugglers. The king gave him a message those smugglers would have to deliver to the British. In it he offered his alliance to British in their struggle against Napoleon. For this alliance he asked to remain king of Holland after Napoleon was beaten and restoration of all former Dutch territories, including parts that have never been part of the Kingdom of Holland, like Maastricht and Zeelandish Flanders.

Susano

Banned
Surviving Kingdom of Holland? Ive topyed with the same idea, and Faeelin ha da TL based on that on the Old Board... of course, in my conception, Holland (enlarged after Napoleons defeat by the Rhineland) gets to unite Germany, and hence becomes part of a Germany much larger than IOTL :D

Surviving Kingdom of Holland? Ive topyed with the same idea, and Faeelin ha da TL based on that on the Old Board... of course, in my conception, Holland (enlarged after Napoleons defeat by the Rhineland) gets to unite Germany, and hence becomes part of a Germany much larger than IOTL :D
It probably wouldn´t surprise you if I say that i do not plan for the Netherlands to unite Germany, but I am not certain you would like my plans for Germany. But don´t worry, there will not be a large number of small states surviving in what is now Garmany.

The British reaction
In Britain the message of the king of Holland was received with a lot of amazement, but it was not unwelcome. The last year they had lost a major ally when Austria had made peace with napoleon, the war in the Iberian Peninsula was not going well and the British started to feel the results of the continental system. They could use another ally; certainly an ally so close to France. They decided to accept the offer of Louis Napoleon, even though they were wary about an alliance with the brother of the Corsican Ogre. In secret they sent an emissary to Holland to make the deal and to see how serious that deal was. In Holland the deal was made, Louis Napoleon would help the English in the war against his brother; he would remain king of Holland, he would receive all of the old Dutch territories, including Maastricht, Venlo and Zeelandish Flanders. The old Dutch colonies would be returned to the Netherlands, but only when the war against Napoleon was finished. In the meantime Dutch governors would be appointed, but they would not be able to do anything the British didn’t want them to do. During the war the British would remain in control of the Dutch colonies.

Im guessing that the Kingdom of Holland is subjugated by Napoleon at this point?
The kingdom of Holland was a French vassalstate Napoleon founded (after the former vassal state, the Batavian republic, didn't please him anymore). He made his brother Louis Napoleon king of it. He hoped he could easily influence his brother, but Louis Napoleon proved to be more sympathatic to his Dutch subjects then loyal to his brother. After the British attack at Walcheren Napoleon annexed the southern part of Holland (Brabant, Zeeland, parts of Gelderland) and so gaining the rhineborder. A couple of months later he annexed the rest of the kingdom.
At this point Napoleon has annexed the southern parts, but not yet the rest of Holland. The kingdom of holland is (in theory) still a vassal state of France, but this will change as soon as Napoleon finds out about the treaty between his brother and the British.

I can hear (and see the spit flying) Napoleon now (though he'd be saying it in French), "Betrayed by my own brother! That little [turd] has stabbed me in the back! We march tomorrow at first light to crush that Brit loving bas@#$d."

The British expeditionary force
In the spring of 1810 the British and the Dutch were ready. In secret Louis Napoleon had notified some trusted generals, ministers and majors. The Dutch army was sent under false pretences south towards Arnhem, near the new border with France. In Britain an expeditionary force of 50.000 had been prepared. In may the British navy made sure the North sea was clean of French ships and the British expeditionary force landed in Rotterdam. The plan was simple, cross Rhine and march towards Antwerp, to destroy the French navy which was anchored there. From there march south towards Brussels and into France. In the east the Dutch army would try to liberate first Nijmegen and move south towards Maastricht , Liege and Aachen. Hopefully the former allies of Prussia and Austria and maybe even Russia would see an opportunity and rise against France. There was also the hope that the German, Dutch and Flemish parts of France would revolt against their master.

In the beginning the plan worked well. The British crossed the Rhine and quickly reached the recently annexed Dutch city of Breda. From there they moved south towards Antwerp. Here they beat a small French army. The surprise was almost complete, but since Walcheren Antwerp was prepared for the British. After a long and hard battle Antwerp was captured, but the momentum of the attack was gone.

In the east the Dutch army moved to Nijmegen, here too they faced only little resistance. This changed quickly; the French quickly regrouped and while the Dutch army moved south from Nijmegen they were beaten near Venlo. The Dutch quickly retreated towards Nijmegen. The French pressed on and the Dutch army was forced to cross the Rhine again, back towards Arnhem. Here they managed to keep the French army from crossing the Rhine.
Meanwhile Napoleon had figured out what had happened. The various people who where present when he got the news, remembered that they had never seen him so angry. He quickly prepared the French counterattack. A large army was sent to Brussels, where the British marched to after Antwerp. A smaller army was sent to Nijmegen to beat the Dutch.

When the British neared Brussels, the French were already waiting. It was a hard and tough battle, but in the end the French were victorious. The British were forced to retreat. Near Arnhem the reinforced French crossed the Rhine. The Dutch were not able to keep the French south of the river. They moved west towards Utrecht. Meanwhile the British moved north, not able to defeat the French. Soon the British were back in Holland.

There was only one thing that could keep the French of overrunning all of Holland: The Dutch Water Line. The Dutch inundated a large part of country between the Zuiderzee and Zeeland in the south. The French armies were not able to cross it and stopped their advance. Behind the Water Line the Dutch and British regrouped. It was clear they had lost this battle. Neither the Prussians nor the Austrians had joined the British. Meanwhile the French swarmed the rest of the country. All of it was annexed to France and Napoleon vowed to do the same with the rest of it. A large French army glared across the water towards Holland ready to conquer it as soon as possible, but for now it was safe. The kingdom of Holland was free again, but it was a lot less than king Louis had hoped for.

Last edited:
It would be great if Antwerp stays under British control. That way, if Holland is totally subjugated Louis can always say that a part of northern Europe is still free. Who knows, for a little while he could rule from there! Probably a crap idea mind you.
Antwerp is not under Britsh control, it didn't lie behind the waterline as it was not part of the Netherlands (Napoleon did have ideas to expand the Dutch waterline to Antwerp BTW). As Antwerp wasn't part of the Netherlands Louis doesn't claim it.

A stalemate in Holland
During the second half of 1810 it became clear that the French were unable to cross the Water Line. At first a couple of attempts were made, but all were easily beaten by the combined British-Dutch forces. At the end of the summer napoleon had enough; he sent a large fleet to the Dutch coast in the hope to stop the supply from Great Britain. The British (completed with the small Dutch fleet) intercepted this fleet near Ostend. At Ostend the French fleet was almost completely destroyed. Together with the destroyed fleet at Antwerp, this was a very hard blow for napoleons navy, from which it was never able to recover. Meanwhile in Holland king Louis tried to convince his British allies to capture the islands of Zeeland. The British, remembering the disastrous campaign in Walcheren only a year ago, where the British army was defeated, not by Napoleon but by malaria, were not interested. So Louis decided to do it alone. It was a Pyrrhic victory, the island were captured, but at the cost of half of the Dutch army. In Holland preparations were made for the winter. Before the French revolution the Water Line had stopped the French troops too, until the waterline had been frozen in the winter and the French had just walked over it. Fortifications were built and the water in the Waterline was rushed, so it wouldn’t freeze as quickly.

Life for Wellington was made easier in the Iberian Peninsula. To neutralise the threat in Holland a large part of the armies in Spain were sent to Holland. This gave breathing room for Wellington and he started to go on the offensive again. Any attempts from the French to invade Portugal were beaten. In the autumn Wellington managed to lift the siege of Cadiz.

Meanwhile tensions between Russia and Napoleon started to rise. To combat the British Napoleon had annexed not only the rest of the Netherlands, but also large parts of Germany, including Oldenburg whose duke was a good friend of the Tsar. Also it became clear that Napoleon had no interest in keeping his side of the treaty of Tilsit. Influenced by his nobles, who suffered greatly under the restrictions of the continental system, he started to disregard it.

Not only had the tensions between Russia and France started to rise. The same was true about the relation between Great Britain and the USA. Great Britain tried to prevent trade between the USA and France. They often captured British sailors from American ships. The USA also wished to expand into the British territories in Canada.

Good update...anyhow? how does these developments affect the War of the Fifth coalition in other fronts? such as southern Germany and Spain? I think the massacre at Walgram has already taken place...but there's still Prussia, whose King opted for neutrality ITTL, but with Russia interfering with France, and so soon after 1807...

Maverick

I wouldn't call Wagram a massacre as although a very bloody battle it was also very close and with heavy losses on both sides. If the greater conflict in the Netherlands distracts French attention they might have an effect on that but unlikely to be significant.

Probably its too early for Prussia to try anything yet. Its only a couple of years since a shattering defeat and serious territorial losses. Also the 2nd half of that war saw Russia more narrowly defeated and then make the Treaty of Tilsit. This saw a period of good relations, at times virtually an alliance between Russia and France and I'm not sure that Prussia could have been totally sure about the safety of its eastern border.

Steve

... am I missing something entirely?

Yes. :p

It means keep the water moving fast.

When the French Army (including a Dutch rebel force) invaded in the winter of 1794-'95 they managed to cross the Dutch Water Line because it was frozen. It was an extremely cold winter.

I'm sure the Dutch wouldn't allow that to happen a second time.

Later the French hussars captured the Dutch fleet which was frozen in in the port of Den Helder.
The only time in history that a land force defeated a sea force.

Very embarrassing.

rushed? threw rushes in? would that slow freezing? am I missing something entirely?

Yes. :p

It means keep the water moving fast.

When the French Army (including a Dutch rebel force) invaded in the winter of 1794-'95 they managed to cross the Dutch Water Line because it was frozen. It was an extremely cold winter.

I'm sure the Dutch wouldn't allow that to happen a second time.

Later the French hussars captured the Dutch fleet which was frozen in in the port of Den Helder.
The only time in history that a land force defeated a sea force.

Very embarrassing.
That was what I meant. I wasn't sure how to put it, if anyone knows a better way, please tell me.