A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

It's always been realy awesome to me how this site is almost like a nursary/breeding ground for Historical fiction / alternate history writers.

Chapter 357: Russia Today

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 357: Russia Today

March, 1773

Peter, Duke of Courland watched as the gates to the city opened. He spurred his horse on once they were, and as he did so, he looked around. He saw people lining the streets, singing and shouting his name. He waved to them and they roared. It was an odd feeling this. His uncle Tsar Michael had died a few days’ ago, as Peter had been on the way to meet with him, and in that time there had been an attempted uprising by members of the army stationed within the capital, supposedly they had tried to stage a coup to put his cousin also named Peter on the throne, but that had failed.

The journey to the Palace was a long one, people came up to him and cheered, some sought his blessings and all stood and watched. There could be no confusing this for anything other than a welcoming party. He was flattered, and also curious about what would happen now. Once he took to the throne and was crowned, would this continue? He’d only been Duke of Courland for a few months as well, his father having died during a riding accident.

Uniting Russia and Courland was certainly going to cause some interesting changes to occur, of that he had no doubt. He looked to his right and saw his steward Gregory looking ahead. Gregory looked like a bear, he was huge, and muscled, and well, Peter wouldn’t be surprised if some Russian noble woman tried to seek his bed later tonight.

They turned a corner, and Peter gasped. The Imperial Palace was before them. It shone in the spring sun, glistening and sparkling for all to see. Peter wanted to gallop toward it, but managed to restrain himself. His horse moved slowly, regally, toward the palace, eventually getting there within good time. A servant came to take the reins of his horse, and once they were stable, he jumped down. He landed, straightened out his coat and then walked forward.

A man came forward then, he was balding but muscular. The man bowed. “Your Imperial Majesty.”

“You are Panin?” Peter asked, he had heard about his uncle’s chief minister, the man had also served Peter’s grandfather.

“I am, Your Imperial Majesty.” Panin said.

“Good, rise.” Peter commanded. He walked forwards, through the open doorway and into the Palace, he looked around and then asked. “What has happened to those who rebelled?”

“They have been arrested, their ring leaders are awaiting justice, Sire.” Panin commented.

“And our cousin?” Peter asked.

“He has remained in his estate, Sire. He has made no move to leave.” Panin said.

Peter continued walking, digesting in everything he saw. It was certainly impressive this place. A step up from Courland and the rather ramshackle state of the palaces there. His father and grandfather had both been rather frivolous as it was, and he didn’t want to take anything from here for there. “Very good.”

He heard footsteps then and turned to see a woman, perhaps no older than his brother step forward. She curtseyed. “Your Imperial Majesty.”

It took him a moment to place her, then it came to him. She was his aunt by marriage, the Dowager Tsarina. “Your Imperial Majesty.” Peter said, inclining his head and taking her hand and kissing it.

“I trust your journey was comfortable?” His aunt said.

“Yes, I am sorry for your loss, Madam, our uncle was a great man.” Peter said.

The woman nodded and then said. “Yes, thank you, Your Imperial Majesty.” A pause and then she said. “Come with me, there is something I wish to show you, Sire.”

Curious Peter followed the woman up a flight of stairs, then turned right as she did, then saw that they were walking out onto a balcony. He stepped onto it and gasped. There were so many people gathered outside the palace gates. They were all looking at them, shouting, calling, and singing.

“They are all here for you, Sire.” His aunt said.

Peter swallowed, he was not good with big moments, but he stepped forward, right to the edge so that they could see him more clearly, and raised his hand and waved. He heard a roar, and he thought he could distinctly hear them shout. “Long Live the Tsar!” As he heard more people take up that shout, something warm rushed over him. He liked that feeling.

Chapter 358: Grand Chance

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 358: Grand Chance

September, 1773

James took a breath; in a few moments, the governors would be entering the room to discuss what they had thought of everything they had seen. He hoped it would go well, he didn’t think he could stomach another year of back and forth. They’d been here for a few months now and had seen Parliament’s proceedings, they’d seen him at work with the council. He hoped they’d see the sense in what he had proposed.

The doors opened, and his equerry announced. “Their Excellencies The Governors Of The Colonies.” James straightened a little as the men walked in.

They all advanced into the room, stopping short of the throne, they bowed before him and then straightened.

James took a moment and then said. “Welcome, gentlemen. You have been here for a few months now; we wish to hear your thoughts on what you have seen.”

There was a pause and then William Franklin, Governor of New Jersey spoke. “It has been an exciting experience, Sire. Truly. To see how the motherland operates and how it keeps working has been fascinating. I now have a much firmer appreciation for everything.”

“Excellent, and has anything stood out to you?” James asked of the collection in general.

Franklin spoke once more. “Yes, it was quite surprising to me to see that Parliament rather than being the dominating body to which we have been led to believe it is, is in fact more suppliant to Your Majesty’s will.”

“I see.” James said, wondering how and why they had thought this to begin with.

“I think the arrangement that is present now is the right one.” William Bull, Colonial Governor of South Carolina said. “The system would not work otherwise.”

That intrigued James and so he found himself asking. “And why do you think so?”

Bull was frank in his response. “Because the world is not perfect, Parliament is filled with fighting factions who all want something. They would never get anything meaningful done if they had true power. Your Majesty has the interests of the state had heart and therefore works harder to get things done.”

There was a moment of silence as James allowed the compliment to wash over him. He did not sile, but he liked what the man had said. Then, the silence was broken by Norman Berkeley, the Governor of Virginia. “We have reached a decision, Sire.”

“Go on.” James said, his heart quickening.

“After much discussion and having observed what has happened here, we feel that it would be right to bow to Your Majesty’s will. On all points.” Berkeley said.

“On all points?” James asked, wanting to double check.

“Yes, Sire. We think that they are all reasonable.” Berkeley said.

“We are happy to hear that.” James said smiling. “You are entering into a new era now, one that is sure to be beneficial for us all.”

The men bowed their heads, and then someone said. “Long Live the King!” The call was echoed by others, James allowed himself to smile, happy that the issue had now been resolved.

End Note

VVD0D95

Banned
Well, there you have it. After two years and 266 thousand words, A Britain of Panthers and Lions comes to an end. It's been a hell of a journey, and I'd like to think I've learned alot about the period in which this is set.

I'd like to thank you all for reading this, for commenting and for making suggestions etc. Your feedback has meant the world.

I've greatly enjoyed writing this beauty, and feel I've definitely improved as time has gone on.

Thank you all.

And on a cheeky note, if you're interested in the Stuarts/the late 17th/early 18th Century please feel free to get yourself a copy of my book Chosen King, which is available on Amazon.

Cheers!

It feels so weird for this to be over, but it did end on a mostly happy note in the end :) I'm looking forward to your next Stuart TL with Mary, Queen of Scots (and English)!

Well, there you have it. After two years and 266 thousand words, A Britain of Panthers and Lions comes to an end. It's been a hell of a journey, and I'd like to think I've learned alot about the period in which this is set.

I'd like to thank you all for reading this, for commenting and for making suggestions etc. Your feedback has meant the world.

I've greatly enjoyed writing this beauty, and feel I've definitely improved as time has gone on.

Thank you all.

And on a cheeky note, if you're interested in the Stuarts/the late 17th/early 18th Century please feel free to get yourself a copy of my book Chosen King, which is available on Amazon.

Cheers!
As you say you are publishing novels, a little note on structure. Normally at the end you build up to something , resolve it and then the final chapter(s) are an epilogue ( unless its an going series and a cliffhanger is desired ). You seem to just pretty randomly stop without warning. OK if its just a timeline but not in novel. You also have a fair number of chapters were you start something, say the situation in India, and it is never resolved or seems to knock on effects elsewhere, makes the chapter pretty pointless filler and in a novel would not go down well.

VVD0D95

Banned
As you say you are publishing novels, a little note on structure. Normally at the end you build up to something , resolve it and then the final chapter(s) are an epilogue ( unless its an going series and a cliffhanger is desired ). You seem to just pretty randomly stop without warning. OK if its just a timeline but not in novel. You also have a fair number of chapters were you start something, say the situation in India, and it is never resolved or seems to knock on effects elsewhere, makes the chapter pretty pointless filler and in a novel would not go down well.
Oh am aware, something I actively addressed or tried to in chosen king :)

Well the last few chapters popped up quick.

I am glad that British America is sorted for now.

Sorry to read this is ending, I was looking forward to more and seeing how the Industrial Revolution kicked in and the AltVictorian era.

Good luck for the book.

VVD0D95

Banned
Well the last few chapters popped up quick.

I am glad that British America is sorted for now.

Sorry to read this is ending, I was looking forward to more and seeing how the Industrial Revolution kicked in and the AltVictorian era.

Good luck for the book.
Ahh but that’s what ones imagination is for ;)

It was a nice ride along.
I'm glad that I was able to contribute with ideas (and the whole Kettlers-on-Russian-Throne subplot/ATL Russian development; as well as some other ideas).

VVD0D95

Banned
It was a nice ride along.
I'm glad that I was able to contribute with ideas (and the whole Kettlers-on-Russian-Throne subplot/ATL Russian development; as well as some other ideas).

Thank you so much for your help, it was really appreciated :)