A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

VVD0D95

Banned
Not necessarily, taking a look at the post from the Spanish perspective "Chapter 279: A Spanish Lesson" , it mentions preparations for war in case both the Neapolitan King and Heir died of illness as that would leave the Duke of Parma in charge.

However reading this post here, although the King may not survive, based on these lines:

I did take this to imply that Ferdinand, the heir has recovered to an extent that he is not in danger anymore. Unless the 'they' being discussed was the King and his Godly side as monarchs use 'we' rather than 'I' to give orders. If the heir has recovered and stays alive, then for now war is averted unless someone does something rash.

Meanwhile, while there could be a war if Ferdinand drops dead, that he has survived might mean the Duke of Parma could die before him or that Ferdinand cold sire an heir. While it does not mean the prescience of war is entirely gone. It does mean there will not be a war in Naples right now.

Not too far off, though Naples and Spain's little dispute could be just one theatre in any war that does break out. Don't forget, Britannia and France are at loggerheads in the New World

Chapter 285: Marriage

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 285: Marriage

September, 1746

“It appears that the Prussian King has considered us worthy of a marriage proposal.” George said as he handed his wife the letter which had come from Berlin earlier that day.

Anne read through it and then said. “Took him long enough. I wonder what he wants though.”

“No doubt guarantees that we won’t try and use Hanover as a launching pad to invade Brandenburg should there be another war, and a reduction in tariffs for trade.” George said.

“Will you give them to him?” Anne asked.

George sighed. “I do not know. On the one hand Prussia’s army, could be useful in scaring the French, on the other hand Frederick is a shifty person who would likely change at the first gust of wind.”

Anne held up the letter and said. “True though he is promising us access to some very favourable parts of the market in Prussia in exchange for the marriage.”

“I know.” George said. “But I do not just want to give our daughter over for a part of the market.” He would like to think he was kinder than that.

“So, if not Prussia then who?” Anne asked. “You’ve already said you don’t want to marry Elisabeth to a lesser Princeling of the Empire.”

“I want someone worthy of her rank, is that too much to ask?” George replied.

“And the Crown Prince of Prussia is worthy of that!” Anne said in response.

George sighed. He knew that they could go around in circles discussing this and he could also tell that Anne was determined to see Elisabeth married to the Crown Prince. If there was one thing he’d learned from Voltaire it was to never argue with someone who was set on their path, you’d only cause yourself more grief. “Fine, I will respond in the affirmative.”

Anne rewarded him with a beaming smile. “Excellent.”

George laughed, then fell silent pondering other things. If the Prussian situation was resolved that would likely bring Frederick onto their side in the future when a war inevitably broke out with France. But, what would that mean for the colonies? He didn’t know. Things there were too complex and fluid for his liking.

“What’s wrong?” Anne asked.

He looked at her and saw her brows crinkled in concern. “We received word from the colonies a few days’ ago about French movement in Ohio Country.”

“And?” Anne asked. “Isn’t that French territory anyway?”

George shook his head. “They claim it, but so do the Indians. It’s complicated.”

“So, what are you going to do?” Anne asked.

“I do not know. Part of me wants to order the men in the colonies to march into the territory and claim it for the Kingdom, another part of me knows that would start a war, and thus wants to leave it be for now.” George replied.

“If you leave it be for now, then you’ll let tensions grow though, would you not?” Anne asked.

“Yes.” George agreed. “Which is a problem given some of the governors are so incompetent.” How he’d let that happen he didn’t know but ever since his cousin Clarendon had died, he’d just let things slide a little too much.

“So, I suppose you have two choices. Either do nothing and risk letting it boil into all out war later, or send a missive to the French King asking him to cease and desist.” Anne said.

George nodded in agreement. “It would be more sensible to write to the French King personally.” He knew that old goat would feel flattered.

“So, is that what you’re going to do?” Anne asked.

“Yes, but I am also going to be writing letters to the governors of the colonies.” George said.

“And tell them what?” Anne asked.

“Tell them to be prepared.” George said.

Perhaps a personal visit to the Colonies for the King to be seen and assess the state of the Governors?

Time to make some heads roll?

I would not say insecurity, I would say that it is more from George's leadership roles that he has to play in public life.

The thing about George is that he has four 'leadership' roles to play:

1: be a leader who is making decisions that will better his country
2: Leadership of his 'business/estate/job' - He has to protect the monarchy, make it seem useful and better to keep then get rid of (Much how someone who owned a business or estate would do in this time)
3: Head of the family - needs to keep the family together for support and mean that any enemies cannot attack them through it.
4: Be a father, lead his kids and try to give them happy lives.

Now, a normal person such as you or I does not have too worry too much about one and only some of us have to worry about two.

However George has to worry about all four of them and unlike most people, he is constantly in the spotlight as he is the one political constant until his death or abdication.

Furthermore some of them will clash, for example George as a father does not want to marry his daughter to Prussia, but to better his country, an alliance with Prussia makes a lot of sense. So these clash and then George has to make a decision on which is more important. Also George and Anne disagree, which is where role three comes in as potentially this could cause a rift between George and Anne or Anne and her daughter if their daughter is unhappy with a Prussian marriage. If that goes bad then that will effect the look of the Monarchy and call into question certain decision making.

If this was any other family then it would be fine as no one would care if it was the lower class and the upper class can afford to be picky and choosey if they wish. But not the monarchy. First and foremost they have a country to run.

Or perhaps I am reading too much into this, but that is the fun of these timelines.

VVD0D95

Banned
Perhaps a personal visit to the Colonies for the King to be seen and assess the state of the Governors?

Time to make some heads roll?
Very possible but then who would serve as regent whilst he’d away
I would not say insecurity, I would say that it is more from George's leadership roles that he has to play in public life.

2: Leadership of his 'business/estate/job' - He has to protect the monarchy, make it seem useful and better to keep then get rid of (Much how someone who owned a business or estate would do in this time)
3: Head of the family - needs to keep the family together for support and mean that any enemies cannot attack them through it.

Now, a normal person such as you or I does not have too worry too much about one and only some of us have to worry about two.

However George has to worry about all four of them and unlike most people, he is constantly in the spotlight as he is the one political constant until his death or abdication.

Furthermore some of them will clash, for example George as a father does not want to marry his daughter to Prussia, but to better his country, an alliance with Prussia makes a lot of sense. So these clash and then George has to make a decision on which is more important. Also George and Anne disagree, which is where role three comes in as potentially this could cause a rift between George and Anne or Anne and her daughter if their daughter is unhappy with a Prussian marriage. If that goes bad then that will effect the look of the Monarchy and call into question certain decision making.

If this was any other family then it would be fine as no one would care if it was the lower class and the upper class can afford to be picky and choosey if they wish. But not the monarchy. First and foremost they have a country to run.

Or perhaps I am reading too much into this, but that is the fun of these timelines.
Spot on

This all makes sense! :) I didn’t quite think on it so deeply. He just seemed more insecure in his chapter than most other characters in this TL.

So she wouldn’t accompany him?
Or his son nominally, with his brother on the council, if he has one? If Anne goes with him, that is? The heir is definitely not, just in case anything happens to him on the journey, I don't think. But it is possible Anne would stay behind, given the length and danger of the journey and the I assume relative youth of their heir...

VVD0D95

Banned
Or his son nominally, with his brother on the council, if he has one? If Anne goes with him, that is? The heir is definitely not, just in case anything happens to him on the journey, I don't think. But it is possible Anne would stay behind, given the length and danger of the journey and the I assume relative youth of their heir...
This is very true

“So, is that what you’re going to do?” Anne asked.​

“Yes, but I am also going to be writing letters to the governors of the colonies.” George said.

“And tell them what?” Anne asked.

“Tell them to be prepared.” George said.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

VVD0D95

Banned
Need some advice here, for the Polish royal family, Karl II has two sons and two daughters, and I'm searching for marriage options for them, any help would be most welcome.

Karl II's issue:

Karl III of Poland (b.1716)

Ludwika (b.1724)

Karolina (b.1727)

John (b.1729)

Cheers :)

Chapter 286: Poland

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 286: Poland

December, 1746

“It is a simple principle really.” Karl said. “We cannot allow the two families to gain ascendancy over one another and therefore we must allow them to alienate themselves.”

“Is that not a risky strategy to employ?” His son asked. “After all, if they figure out what is happening, might they not work together?”

Karl snorted. “The chances of the Czartoryski and the Potocki working together is vanishingly small. They both hate one another.”

“Why?” His son asked.

Karl looked at the young man before him and said simply. “They hold a competing claim to a small piece of land in the western part of the Kingdom and as such both believe they are the rightful owner of it.”

“And who actually is?” His son asked.

“Neither of them are. Therefore, the Crown has taken ownership of it, with the proviso that should circumstances change we shall consider giving the land to one of them.” Karl stated.

“So, essentially, we are using the land as a bargaining tool with them to help them weaken themselves?” His son said.

“Yes.” Karl said. “It is the simplest and most effective way of undermining two of the noble families that have the most power within the Kingdom.”

“To continue the plans that grandfather had to consolidate Royal Control.” His son added.

“Exactly.” Karl replied.

“But that won’t be enough will it? More will need to be done.” His son pointed out.

“Exactly.” Karl replied. “Which is why we have slowly been bringing the judiciary under our control and have implemented subtle changes to the press laws.”

“Will those hold?” His son asked. “I know that some of the papers are trying to find ways around the old laws.”

“They will hold.” Karl said confidently. “It is within the interests of the papers to abide by the new laws.” Otherwise their editors would be executed.

“And what of the Austrians?” His son asked. “I do not think they are going to be willing to allow us to expand our control over the Kingdom. Surely it is within their interests to support one or both of the nobles.”

“The Austrians are too busy dealing with the Empire and with the Ottomans to be concerned about us.” Karl said, knowing that as he said that his chancellor was sowing the seeds of chaos that would prompt the Ottomans and the Austrians to ride to war soon.

“And what of the Russians?” His son asked.

“Too busy fighting the Persians, they do not much care about what happens here. No, our main concern are the Swedes.” Karl said.

“And that’s where the alliance with Prussia and Denmark comes in?” His son asked.

“Exactly.” Karl replied. “The Prussians want Swedish Pomerania, and the Danes want to take control of the sea route between their two Kingdoms. As a triple alliance, we will cause more damage to them then we would alone.”

“And the Prussians will accept the necessary concessions?” His son asked.

“Yes.” Karl replied. “If they have any sense they will.”

Need some advice here, for the Polish royal family, Karl II has two sons and two daughters, and I'm searching for marriage options for them, any help would be most welcome.

Karl II's issue:

Karl III of Poland (b.1716)

Ludwika (b.1724)

Karolina (b.1727)

John (b.1729)

Cheers :)
Austria has anyone available of the right age?