A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

Aha aye, let's just say some of George's decisions in the future are going to make people used to James' calm decision making, go, 'wtf?'
Well, to be frankly, Tinmouth is far from only (quasi)-Royal in the cabinet. Admiralty is still controlled by Gloucester/St.Albans tandem as far as I remember.

VVD0D95

Banned
There is a number of countries preparing for unevitable "changing of the guard" - France, Russia, pick whatever you like.

This is very true, and of course there are tensions in America.

Well, to be frankly, Tinmouth is far from only (quasi)-Royal in the cabinet. Admiralty is still controlled by Gloucester/St.Albans tandem as far as I remember.

It is indeed

I am not American History buff, but I do wonder why London was able to ignore the growing problems in the Colonies- sure some of it is the people in charge not reporting to the Court, but at the same time other Aristos, and politicians must have been getting news, papers, pamphlets etc back outlining the growing issues. Why did it take until a Rebellion broke out?

It must be possible to see off the American rebellion before it happens. Maybe it 'costs' the Empire in India, but I think that was the secondary prize compared to the whole North American continent.

VVD0D95

Banned
I am not American History buff, but I do wonder why London was able to ignore the growing problems in the Colonies- sure some of it is the people in charge not reporting to the Court, but at the same time other Aristos, and politicians must have been getting news, papers, pamphlets etc back outlining the growing issues. Why did it take until a Rebellion broke out?

It must be possible to see off the American rebellion before it happens. Maybe it 'costs' the Empire in India, but I think that was the secondary prize compared to the whole North American continent.

You mean in otl?

VVD0D95

Banned
And other branches of extended Royal family are also likely to be represented prominently at least in Lords.

Oh agreed, Cambridge, York, Cumberland are all in the Lords as is Gloucester. Then there's Berwick, Tinmouth, St Albans, Grafton, Richmond, Sussex etc

Chapter 267: Louis D'Or

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 267: Louis D’Or

August, 1741

“Sire, I have assessed the taxation collected in the last five financial years and have concluded that we will need to change our priorities for the next financial year.” Philibert Orry, the Controller General of Finances said.

“Where would you recommend we change our focus to?” Louis asked.

“We have been focusing on the domestic industries and have seen growth, but we are still short of completely out competing the British in terms of financial might.” Orry responded. “Therefore, I would recommend we concentrate on the nobility.”

“That will require a give and take.” Louis said. “We cannot just immediately demand that they pay more in taxation, they will want something in return.” He suspected he knew what they would want, they would want more power in government, maybe even a bit of decentralisation and he was not willing to go through with that.

“I believe we can find a solution without having to compromise, Sire.” Orry said.

“Go on.” Louis commanded.

“Right now the merchant classes are growing in strength, the peace over the past few years has seen trade grow within the colonies. Furthermore, the native industries continue to prosper, and we are seeing some benefit from our relationship with the Emperor of India. Consequently, if we were to meet with the merchants and promise more royal patronage in return for their support against any attempted noble disturbances, I think that would be of benefit. Money talks after all.” Orry replied.

Louis mulled the proposal over. “So, you are suggesting we pit the two classes against one another. The nobles have far more financial offerings to give, but the merchants are the ones hefting the burden right now. Promise them the support of the crown against any overbearing noble, and they will turn against said nobles?” He thought that would be a delish sense of irony, especially if it undermined his cousin Orleans. “How much would you propose we raise the taxation by?”

“I would recommend starting on a five percent tax on the nobility.” Orry said.

Louis considered it and then said. “Very well, we agree. Start it out with a small group and let us see what happens from there.”

Orry nodded and made a note, Louis then turned to his foreign minister and said. “You stated you had had word from the ambassador in London.”

“I do, Sire.” Chaillou replied. “The new King has had his coronation and has held elections. He has appointed a new ministry which is a mixture of old hands and new blood. He has followed through on his father’s desire for reform of their Parliament and has also sent through a force under the command of one Brigadier Cobham to the new world.”

Louis nodded, he did not understand the British and their obsession with Parliament. Surely it would be better to abolish the thing, not reform it. And then there was this whole business with the New World. “Our men are making preparations are they not?”

“They are, Sire. They know to expect an attack at any moment.” Chaillou replied.

“Good.” Louis said. “We must see whether this new King follows the path of peace as his father did or whether he will look for war where there is none.” On that note, he turned to his naval minister and asked. “What progress has been made on the development of the new ships?” He had found it humiliating how the Kingdom of Britannia had so easily bypassed the French channel fleet, and the seas fleet was nothing to be proud of either. He desperately wanted to take the naval advantage back.

Maurepas replied then. “We have got ten ships built under the new design, Sire. They are faster and able to carry enough guns to match the current ships used by the British. We will need an extra four months to develop another forty ships.”

Whilst that was not ideal, it was certainly better than he had originally hoped for, and therefore he said. “Very well, you shall have the funds needed at your disposal.”

“Thank you, Sire.” Maurepas said.

Louis nodded, and then added. “We are at peace now, but there will come a time when war might well seem likely. The current Duke of Calabria has no children and looks highly unlikely to ever have them. His brother is currently Duke of Parma, should he ascend to the throne of Naples, one can expect the Austrians to demand something if they do not go to war. Therefore, we must be prepared for it. We want the army and the navy regularly training and alert.”

“Sire.” Came the response.

Last edited: