A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

VVD0D95

Banned
ya Mughal were effectively puppet of Maratha in OTL 1755to 1811, this can happen, and its better than direct annexing kingdom. Also, it's can pressure Maratha to reform administer structure in India to effectively control Mughal and India. And help India to quickly have an industrial revolution which can change the whole world history because from a develop India never going to leave Afghanistan, Tibet, Australia, South Africa to western power.By doing this they efficiently going to make Indian ocean to their backyard.

Afghanistan is a hell hole to hold onto, they'd be smart to let it go. South Africa is too far away from India to be of any use to it, and it's already under Dutch rule.

Afghanistan is a hell hole to hold onto, they'd be smart to let it go. South Africa is too far away from India to be of any use to it, and it's already under Dutch rule.
Indian are always gold digger of the world. If they know about South African gold mines then they going to capture for it. And dutch are nothing in front of Indian kings, in otl at 1740 they defeated by King Marthanda Verma (otl Kerala king) .

VVD0D95

Banned
Indian are always gold digger of the world. If they know about South African gold mines then they going to capture for it. And dutch are nothing in front of Indian kings, in otl at 1740 they defeated by King Marthanda Verma (otl Kerala king) .

I'm not convinced, South Africa is too far from their interest sphere in my view, and furthermore, they're going to have their hands full with other such things

You disagree?
ya, when you consider industrial revolution then there is nothing left from your interest, the politics of the world upgraded from continent level to the whole world.
due to a vast network of River in India traveling to the inner part of India by boat is much simple. India always was a pool of World Trade with help of this revolution Indian River network taboo of Ocean water can easily destroy and for Indian gold is much important than anything in the world, Indian have world largest iron ore mine and second largest coal mine.

VVD0D95

Banned
ya, when you consider industrial revolution then there is nothing left from your interest, the politics of the world upgraded from continent level to the whole world.
due to a vast network of River in India traveling to the inner part of India by boat is much simple. India always was a pool of World Trade with help of this revolution Indian River network taboo of Ocean water can easily destroy and for Indian gold is much important than anything in the world, Indian have world largest iron ore mine and second largest coal mine.

Indeed it would, but would they want to expend energy on a colonial empire when managing their own inner workings would be hard?

Since Indian history is a deep dark forest to me... I wonder how a different TTL dynamics in India and Ottoman Empire affects Persia (which is indirectly also necessary for modeling TTL 1720ies Russia which I volunteered to help with). I only know that TTL costly Russo-Persian war (with conquests being reversed in the next reigns) is unlikely to happen, since 1720-1725 would be the case of Moldavian tail wagging the Russian dog, requiring to be friendly with Persia against Turks, and Alexis II would likely avoid costly wars altogether whenever possible.

VVD0D95

Banned
Since Indian history is a deep dark forest to me... I wonder how a different TTL dynamics in India and Ottoman Empire affects Persia (which is indirectly also necessary for modeling TTL 1720ies Russia which I volunteered to help with).

At present? The Mughal Emperor is waging a war against Afghan rebels, who are being funded by the Shah of Persia, soon they're going to be at war with one another, which might bring about the fall of the Mughal dynasty, or it might strengthen it. In the Ottoman Empire, the Sultan is currently trying to hold onto everything his ancestors worked for and reform structures

At present? The Mughal Emperor is waging a war against Afghan rebels, who are being funded by the Shah of Persia, soon they're going to be at war with one another, which might bring about the fall of the Mughal dynasty, or it might strengthen it. In the Ottoman Empire, the Sultan is currently trying to hold onto everything his ancestors worked for and reform structures
The second item being made increasingly difficult with 2nd War of Holy League on the horizon.

Chapter 173: Berwick's Questioning

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 173: Berwick’s Questioning

July, 1716

James cleared his throat and looked at the men sat opposite him. They were gathered in a room in the Palace of Westminster, and the sun was beating in through the windows. It was damnably hot, but James did not bother showing any discomfort, he was an army man and he knew that doing so would give them what they wanted. The men before him had summoned him-he still found that quite funny- to a Parliamentary hearing over his appointment as Commander in Chief of the Forces. The King had gone into a rage when the missive had come. Indeed, James remembered the King saying something along the lines of. “I should have each and every one of them done for treason.” Indeed, it was quite odd that this committee had been called by James agreed with the Queen. It was necessary given he had once been a Catholic.

The chair of the Committee was the Earl of Devonshire the leading Whig in Parliament. “We are gathered here today to hear testimony from the Commander in Chief of the Forces, His Grace the Duke of Berwick, following his appointment after the resignation of His Grace the Duke of Marlborough.”

His uncle had had to resign after a stroke he’d had at court three weeks ago. It had come as quite the blow, but time was changing. James was simply glad he had been given the role and not Ormonde, the man was smart but he was not what the King would need for his vision. “Thank you, my lords.” James said simply.

Devonshire nodded and then said. “Your Grace, we are going to ask you several questions now, and we hope that you will answer them to the best of your ability. Where interests of national security conflict with the questions you are of course allowed to ignore the question. Is that understood?”

“Yes.” James replied simply.

The Earl nodded. “Very well, I believe I shall start.” There was a brief pause and then the man continued. “You have been appointed as Commander in Chief of the Forces and promoted to full general following the retirement of His Grace the Duke of Marlborough. Before his retirement, the Duke was working on plans to reform the army, do you believe these reforms are necessary and essential to the good workings of the Britannic military?”

James did not answer immediately, instead he did as his wife had suggested and took a moment to think through his answer. The reforms his uncle and the King had been discussing before his uncle’s retirement had been quite controversial, but he had also been invited to sit in on their discussions and he knew they were needed. “I believe that with the way things are changing on the continent, and with the shifting of alliances, and the way the last great war was fought, the reforms are essential to the good working of the military.”

“How so?” the Earl of Devonshire asked.

James cleared his throat. “The reforms involved will ensure that our cavalry units are able to ride without some of the previously cumbersome equipment they had been saddled with. Thus, ensuring that they can better mobilise their weapons on the offensive campaigns that I believe will become the future of warfare on the continent. Furthermore, the improvement in handguns and the subsequent changes to lock and loads, will ensure that our infantry regiments are now no longer simply there for slaughter.” James paused he remembered the disasters of the Eight Years War campaign and shuddered slightly, before continuing. “This will be essential to ensuring a proper balance on campaign. We know possible frontiers for war will be the Archduchy of Flanders, the Italian peninsula, and Spain, we need to be prepared for such movements.”

The Earl went to speak, and then the Duke of St Albans, a cousin, spoke. “General, you said that these reforms are necessary due to the future of the campaigns that will be fought. However, on that note, the King has recently concluded a non-aggression pact with both Spain and France, how, then can there be war with either of those two countries, or indeed in the Archduchy of Flanders, when to have war would be to break the pact?”

James thought about the question, he knew what the Duke was trying to do. The man had wanted his wife, and had been angry when his wife had chosen him instead, and as such had never been his greatest friend. He was no doubt trying to trip him up over some wording or the other. James replied carefully. “Of course His Majesty has as you have said agreed to a non-aggression pact with both Spain and France. That does not however, negate what I have said. The next war will be fought in the aforementioned countries and therefore it is our duty to ensure we have tactics and the army ready to fight in those wars. Be it now, or in ten years’ time.”

“And what if the techniques used by the Kingdoms in Europe change by the time of the next war? It seems to me that you are modelling the reforms on current methods.” The Duke of St Albans asked.

“Then we shall adapt accordingly.” James replied simply. Knowing there was some sort of trick there waiting for him.

“And do you think spending the current amount for the reforms of the army over this long a period of time when there is no guarantee that there will indeed be war, a good thing?” The Earl of Orford and a former member of the cabinet and naval board asked.

“Gentlemen, I believe that the defence of this country is not something that ever stops. Nor do I believe it is something that can be put into cost. We know the cost of being left with a defunct military and we also know what happens when we do not do enough to keep things running. The cost is more than worth the results.” The Duke of Berwick said.

“And what will you do if they are not?” the Earl of Devonshire asked.

“Then I will hand in my resignation to the King.” James answered simply, he knew it was a bold and dangerous move but it seemed to appease them, or rather shock them into silence.

Chapter 174: Leopoldine

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 174: Lepoldine

October, 1716

He would be thirty in three months’ time. Thirty and still without much real power. Oh, yes, as Prince of Asturias he had some influence over procedures and in his own domain, but real political power? That remained with his mother and father. It was as if they were both terrified he might do a better job than them. Which wouldn’t surprise him, given that the nobles of Aragon loved him, and the merchants of Castile praised him. His mother was tolerated and his father was hated. Clearly they didn’t want him present. And it frustrated him. He was a father, for the Lord’s sake, he was not the ambitious foolish youth of eight years ago. He wanted to learn.

That was why he had asked to meet with his mother and father. He had things he wanted to discuss. And a meeting was the only place they could be discussed. His father sat back and looked at him, whilst Mother simply stared at him. Leopold cleared his throat. “I met with several members of the Aragonese Cortes three days ago. And they told me that they are concerned that our standing within trade circles will dim considerably should we not act on the news that has come through regarding Britannia and France.”

“And what news is that?” Mother asked.

“The news that they are about to renew their trade alliance and shut us out of the lucrative trading in Ohio County and deals with the Indians.” Leopold said. Why his mother had never considered setting up a company to handle things in the east he did not know. It made the most sense to him.

“And do you think the nobles have not brought this concern to us?” Mother asked.

“I know they have. What I wanted to ask, was why have you not acted on it, Your Majesty.” Leopold said.

“You have a lot to learn, Leopold.” Father said. “The nobles are concerned yes, but they would have us take action that would in the long term prove damaging to everyone in Spain.”

I only have a lot to learn because you never bothered to include me in most of the discussions. Leopold thought bitterly, though all he said in return was. “And what sorts of things would those be? They are not asking for war, they are only asking that we try and get involved in this trade agreement.”

“And in doing so we would awaken old suspicions.” Mother said. “That Spain is not dead and weak as they thought it was, and that we are a threat to be taken seriously.”

“And are we not dead and buried?” Leopold asked.

“Far from it.” Father responded. “Indeed, for the first time in about fifty years, we are finally moving out of debt.”

“So, why are we not getting involved?” Leopold asked. He was not seeing the answer here, which his parents seemed to think was so simple.

Mother sighed then and that was when Leopold felt his hackles truly begin to rise. “We are not getting involved because the British and the French have a free trade agreement. That means it is only between the two of them. Should we try and get involved, they would no doubt be curious as to why we are suddenly interested in getting involved, and would try and slap tariffs on us. Tariffs which we cannot afford if we wish to avoid getting back into debt.”

Leopold thought on this and then asked. “So, why not try to start a free trade agreement with another Kingdom?” He thought for a moment and then said. “Such as Portugal.”

“Portugal is under Britannia’s thumb. They would not agree, for fear of offending their new overlords.” Father said.

“Surely they are not that far gone.” Leopold asked. He had thought the Portuguese still held dominance in the East compared to the British or the French.

Mother waved a hand. “It does not matter if they are or not. No, the point is that we shall not engage in any activities that might cause us to need to go to war again. Not until we are completely out of debt.”

Leopold knew that would not do well with those who were counting on him and so he asked. “And how long will that be?”

“Anywhere between a year to eight years.” Father replied.

“That long?” Leopold gasped. “But we’ve not spent past the budget for twelve years.”

“Indeed, and yet there was a war until eight years ago, and we had to pay off that debt.” Father said.

“And before you say it, we cannot get involved in Naples.” Mother added.

Leopold sighed. “Very well.”

Mother took his hand then and said. “I know you want to help, dear, but trust me, this will take time, and you are still young.”

Chapter 175: King Of The Romans

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 175: King Of The Romans

January, 1717

Leopold stretched his legs and then sat down. His father the Emperor and Eugene of Savoy, the main military commander in the Empire were sat down as well. That he had been called to attend this very private meeting was a sign to Leopold that he was finally being accepted by his father as a man. It was only right, after all, he had gotten married two years ago to Antoinette, and their son Joseph had been born perhaps six months ago. Antoinette was with child once more, but they had yet to tell anyone besides Father and Mother. He had also helped negotiate a treaty with Naples, so perhaps his father felt it right to include him in on this conversation.

The emperor spoke first as always. “We have received word that the British and the French are to renew their free trade alliance. This is something that would perhaps have concerned us two to three years ago, but given the uncertainty over whether or not the King of Great Britannia’s son will actually marry King Louis’ daughter or not remains, we are not so sure if we should be concerned about it.”

“I think, Your Imperial Majesty that keeping a cautious eye on it would be for the best. The French might not be looking for war right now, but it is within their nature. Sooner or later they will come searching for it.” Eugene of Savoy said.

“Indeed, this is very true. However, we do not wish to needlessly antagonise the French. Not with the peace having been so hard won.” The Emperor said.

Leopold spoke then. “If I might, Your Imperial Majesty?” His father nodded for him to continue. “If the British and the French are renewing their trade alliance would it not be wise for us to also perhaps considering a new alliance?”

Leopold regretted using the word new alliance the moment it left his lips, but his father seemed intrigued. “What did you have in mind?”

“Well, the Dauphin is a few years younger than Maria Josepha, and is a few years older than Maria Theresa, why not propose a marriage between the Dauphin and one of them?” Leopold suggested. “It would bring about some measure of confidence between our two nations as to where we stand, and it would ensure the future King of France has Habsburg blood.”

Prince Eugene spoke then. “Your Majesty, with the greatest of respect. A marriage might not solve anything. Especially if it is a daughter of Austria to a French Dauphin. Such marriages have been done before and all they have done is produced more war.”

“Then perhaps we must look to see if the King of France has any daughters who we can marry to our own son?” Leopold suggested.

The Emperor spoke then. “The King of France has a daughter who is three years older than our grandson. This might perhaps be a potential suggestion. Knowing Louis of France, he would delight in having a daughter be a future Empress.”

A look passed between the Emperor and Eugene of Savoy, for Savoy then said. “And that could likely buy us a few years of peace at least. It would certainly convince the King of France not to get involved in the dispute in Parma.” Leopold smiled. Parma would be a headache but one for someone else to handle. He didn’t want Imperial troops marching for some forgotten Duchy somewhere far away.

“Very well. We shall write to our ambassador in Versailles and ask that he put forward this proposal.” The Emperor said.

“There was another thing, Your Imperial Majesty.” Leopold said. Knowing he had to bring this up now or risk something terrible happening later.

“And what is that?” The Emperor asked.

“The Russian Ambassador came by my rooms yesterday,” Leopold began. “And he mentioned that the Tsar is interested in an alliance. He said that he had not yet approached you for some reason or the other. But as we spoke to him I learned that the plans that the Tsar has are sensible.”

The Emperor looked curious. “And what are those plans?”

“He wishes for a joint invasion into Ottoman controlled Wallachia and Moldavia. He wishes to see those territories broken up between the two of us. I believe it is a sensible plan as it would give us access to the Danube and it would further weaken the Ottomans, therefore securing our control of Serbia and Hungary.” Leopold said. The thought of a buffer with the Turks was reassuring, especially if they were directly controlling them.

“The Ottomans are currently fighting their own civil war at the moment, Sire.” Eugene of Savoy said. “They are weak and distracted.”

“Summon the ambassador to the audience chamber today, we shall hear him speak and then make up our minds.” The emperor commanded.

“Yes Your Imperial Majesty.” Leopold replied.

I haven't read this TL in a while and Anna dying was a surprise because last time I read it James 3 had just been married.

The Guardian

VVD0D95

Banned
The Guardian

Protecting The Realm

Earl Of Devonshire Betrays Workers

In a move that will surprise nobody, that pompous oaf, the Earl of Devonshire has found himself responsible for the failure of the “Work Hand’s Act,” the act which was introduced by Sir Robert Walpole and received a thumping majority in the Commons, was meant to improve the wages of farm hands. The Earl of Devonshire however, in a six hour long speech filibustered the bill, due to his proposed disagreements with it. The man refused to table amendments and instead allowed his own prejudices to prevent hard working people from getting their rightful reward.

After his speech, a recess was declared for the Easter month, due to the length of his speech and the unwillingness of the Lord Chamberlain to have the vote at so late an hour.

The consequences of this man’s single minded selfishness has been to see the wages for farm hands kept at a national rate for a further year. Meaning that should there be a bad harvest this winter, they will starve. Such selfishness is unparalleled, even the Earl’s father would never have stooped to such levels.

This writer managed to interview His Royal Highness the Duke of Gloucester after the speech: “Today we have seen why the Earl sits on the opposition bench. He has not thought for his countrymen, only for his selfish desires.” Comments echoed by the Earl’s fellow Whig peer the Earl of Essex who remarked. “I see no reason for what he did, simple foolishness. I shall be writing to His Majesty to demand justice.”

Will His Majesty put the Earl on trial for contempt? It remains to be seen.

1st May to be start of cricket season!

In a decision that many have believed would be coming for many months now, His Majesty the King has formally declared the 1st May to be the start of the cricket season. The first game will be between His Majesty XI and His Royal Highness Duke of York’s XI, in Kensington Park.

Cricket, a sport played between two teams of eleven players, has increasingly become a popular sport in the royal court, with the King seemingly being quite a capable batsman, whilst even His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales has quite the arm as a bowler.

It has reached this writer’s attention that the sport has also reached the colonies in the new world. With the new governor of Virginia Sir William Washington declaring it to be the sport for the wealthy and for the higher classes.

Reports have reached us that they are even trying to spread the game amongst those native populations and tribes.

Perhaps in time even the French might learn such a sport. Imagine defeating them at sport as well as war!