A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

Interesting thing - the extensive rebuilding of Hampton Court Palace which was undertaken by William and Mary OTL would likely be ordered by James III TTL given that it's his favourite residence TTL.

VVD0D95

Banned
Interesting thing - the extensive rebuilding of Hampton Court Palace which was undertaken by William and Mary OTL would likely be ordered by James III TTL given that it's his favourite residence TTL.
For sure! I’m a little unsure if it should become the de facto residence of the crown or if thay should remain Whitehall

Chapter 161: October Wedding

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 161: October Wedding

October, 1713

Wearing the uniform of a naval officer, George knelt before his mother, the Queen. He had wondered how long it would be before he too was called to marry. At twenty-one he thought he’d managed better than either of his brothers, James married at seventeen and William at twenty. It was something that he thought he might avoid, given Mother’s desire to keep him close. But Abigail Masham had been dismissed from court, and things were slowly returning to normalcy though Mother’s condition continued to get worse. He was almost taller than her, and he was kneeling, yet she remained in her chair.

“We knight you, Sir George, and confer upon you the titles Duke of Gloucester and Strathearn, Earl of Newcastle and Baron Cork. We name you to the Order of the Garter and confer upon you the honour of the Order of the Thistle. Do you swear to uphold your vows as a knight of the Order and as a Royal Prince?”

“I do.” George answered, he knew that the marriage to Henrietta would give him lands and estates enough to ensure he didn’t need to reside at court so often. That the girl was someone he liked was a benefit as well.

“Then rise, and be ready.” The Queen commanded, she moved back.

George rose, he bowed before the Queen and then straightened. The Queen was wheeled out of the room toward the coach, the Duchess of Somerset pushed the chair. George looked at his brothers both of whom had come to attend this ceremony and even his sister Sophie who was soon to be married to the heir to the Princedom of Orange. He smiled and said. “Well let’s get on with this.” He walked out and made his way to the carriage, he got in and sat down, his brothers accompanying him, Sophie would be with their mother.

As the carriage made its way out of the palace toward Westminster Abbey, William asked. “What rank did you get given?”

It was custom it seemed for the brothers to be promoted on their marriage. William had been made a Major upon his marriage, and James, well the Prince of Wales was a Colonel, and likely to be Brigadier General soon enough. “Commander.” George replied smiling. “Her Majesty thought it fit.”

“What sort of ship will you be commanding?” James asked.

“Twenty-one gun.” George said. “Will be deployed as part of the Channel Fleet.”

“Quite the promotion.” William said.

“Aye.” George said. They fell silent then, passing the journey in a companionable silence form their youth. They were no longer young though, not any of them. James had ruled the country effectively since Father’s death, William had got the Duke of Argyll and the West of Scotland to convert to Episcopalism, and him? Well he’d be deployed soon enough. The French would need to be reminded of who ruled the waves.

They got to the Abbey, and the carriage door opened. “Groom first.” James commanded. George smiled and got out. He straightened out and then advanced to the doors of the abbey.

“Has the Queen arrived?” He asked.

“Yes, Your Royal Highness.” The guard said. “Her Majesty is sat at the front.”

“Excellent.” George commented. The doors opened and he strode in. The eyes of the people in attendance turned to him, he saw some of his friends from court, the Pelham brothers and that mad man St John, and others as well. Cousin Grafton was there with his wife and children, and that idiot Alban, and of course cousin Berwick. The Marlboroughs were there. George flashed a winning smile at their youngest daughter and then he was there standing near the Archbishop. Mother had specifically asked for the Archbishop to perform this ceremony, why he did not know, but he didn’t care.

He stood there for some time, and then the doors opened, he turned and watched as his bride to be entered the Abbey. The closer Henrietta got, the more nervous he started to feel. Eventually she was stood before him and he smiled at her. She smiled back at him. The Archbishop cleared his throat. “Let us begin.”

The Abbey fell silent. “We are gathered here today to see these two-people married before the eyes of God and Her Majesty the Queen and before you all. Marriage is a sacred duty before God. A commitment between a man and woman to serve one another and to provide for one another, to protect one another and their children. It is not something to be taken lightly.” A pause, and then the Archbishop said. “The groom and bride have their vows.”

George began. “I, George, do hereby take you Henrietta as my lawfully wedded wife. I do swear before God, that I shall love you and protect you from this day until our last. I shall help you and encourage you, and be a good father to our children.” He finished and fought the urge to sneeze, it was too dusty in the damned abbey.

“I, Henrietta, do hereby take you, George, to be my lawfully wedded husband. I do swear by God that I shall love you and obey you from this day until our last. I shall help you, and bear your children and be a good mother and wife.” Henrietta smiled.

The Archbishop spoke then. “Is there anyone here who believes that these two should not be married?” Nobody came forward. The Archbishop turned to them then and said. “I now pronounce you husband and wife, you may kiss.”

George leaned forward, lifted the veil and pressed his lips to hers. As he pulled away he whispered. “Welcome to the family.” He took her hand and led her to the pews as music began to play.

that idiot Alban
A typo for St.Albans or?
Re. St. Albans, I thought you've sent him as envoy to the court of Hannover (though he could have been recalled by now), and his son Earl of Burford from our previous discussion is unlikely to be referred by George as "idiot", being his friend who shares his interests in naval matters.

Last edited:

VVD0D95

Banned
A typo for St.Albans or?
Re. St. Albans, I thought you've sent him as envoy to the court of Hannover (though he could have been recalled by now), and his son Earl of Burford from our previous discussion is unlikely to be referred by George as "idiot", being his friend who shares his interests in naval matters.
Recalled for the wedding, and meant more an idiot in the friendly sense aha

VVD0D95

Banned
Going by my peerage tables, found a thing with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Granville,_2nd_Earl_of_Bath
Another peer who would need an ATL (second) marriage there. Thinking to whom he may marry.

Interesting as he stands to inherit the Dukedom of Albemarle by the will of 1st Duke sometime in early 1690ies (in OTL the will was ignored by William III, TTL this is likely not the case).

Oh interesting, hmm he committed suicide in 1701, because of the debts his father left him, so, how might one go about convincing him not to?

If 1st Earl of Bath is created 1st Duke of Albemarle of 2nd creation, Frances Thynne will be preferable second wife for his heir, and given how highly Thynnes married OTL... I'll add this to table.