A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

VVD0D95

Banned
And so ends the reign of the Sun King. He reigned from 1643-1712, and brought France to her greatest power. Will his son and grandson be able to continue his hard work?

mv_2109_008.jpg

Chapter 153: Carolus Rise

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 153: Carolus Rise

October, 1712,

Stargard was a town that had defensive walls and a hefty store of gunpowder. And for that Charles was grateful. But everything else about the town depressed him. It was somewhere on the region of middling to shit. Quintessentially Prussian in its outlook, the people looked as if they wanted to kill him whenever he ventured out of the castle. He had taken to standing at the window, watching and assessing just what was happening. Charles suspected that sooner or later the towns under his command in Farther Pomerania would revolt, unless he conquered the entire region and showed his true strength.

“We need to keep moving forward, Sire.” Carl Adolf, his chief commander in this region said. “We are going to be moving one way and then another otherwise. Right now, the Prussians are struggling to keep balance. The Bridgend that we control is keeping them buried, but I am unsure of how long we can keep that going.”

Charles looked at the map. “The Prussians are in the villages south of here are they not?”

“They are, Sire.” Carl Adolf said.

“Then we must lure them out from there. We must have a big battle that resolves this matter once and for all.” Charles said. He could tell that his generals were unsure of what he meant so he continued. “The Prussians are currently relying on the winter that is approaching to slow our advance through their half of Pomerania. They know that come the spring if we have not taken everything up to Kolberg, we shall be finished here. Therefore, we must draw them out into battle.”

Carl Adolf looked at the map and sighed. “Sire, I am not sure that such a thing is possible. Elector Frederick is not someone who is given over to rash decisions. If his son was in command, then perhaps we might have the chance to make things interesting. I would suggest that we write to the Polish King and ask that he make more movement into Ducal Prussia.”

Charles waved a hand. “The Polish King will do whatever it is he wants, he will not listen to our requests.” That was the simple truth, King Karl was an oaf. “No, we think we have the solution to this problem.”

“Sire?” Carl Adolf asked.

“We must use bait, to ensure that the Elector thinks that we are going to go on a suicidal mission.” Charles answered. At the quizzical looks from his generals, he continued. “We send out a unit under the command of Adolf Frederick, and we make it seem as though he is going to attempt an attack on their location. The elector is far too prideful of a man to allow such a thing to stand.” Charles smiled. He had read the Elector correctly, he hoped. He knew that his brother in law was a fool, but on occasion he had his uses, this would be one of them.

There was a moment of pause where his generals looked at one another and then at him, and he briefly wondered if they thought him mad, then Carl Adolf said. “I think that could very well work, Sire. Though of course one would need to ensure there is an actual general there, to ensure that His Highness does not completely ruin things.” There was some nervous laughter at that.

Charles grinned. “Of course. Gustaf, you shall command the host in our brother by marriage’s name.” Gustaf Clemens, a man Charles was convinced was his father’s bastard, was a harsh man but one who had defeated the Prussian reserves earlier in the year to secure control over Stargard, nodded.

“It would be my honour, Sire.”

“Good.” Charles said. He knew discussions about the Russian capture of Ingria would need to be discussed soon but for now, Prussia was the bigger concern.

As he was about to rise, an attendeant burst into the room. The man was panting. “Sire… Sire…I bring news from Brandenburg.”

“Speak.” Charles commanded.

The man took a moment and then said. “Elector Frederick has declared himself King in Prussia, Sire. A move which has received the backing of Vienna.”

Charles looked at his generals and laughed. “How bold of him.”

His father, his cousin and father’s wife, his brother Berry, his father’s other children, and his own wife and their children. The King looked at them all, with unseeing eyes.
A small question I've missed since I'm not reading French part of TL close. Did the Grand Dauphin (non-morganatically) remarry TTL? And if yes, then to whom?

This TL seriously needs a genealogic table detailing the ATL Royal matches and progeny for all countries affected by butterflies so far.

Chapter 154: A Queen's Misery

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 154: A Queen’s Misery

December, 1712

Anne rarely felt pleasant anymore. The gout was preventing her from walking, it prevented her from sleeping unless Abigail was with her. It was making her life a living hell, and she just wanted it to end. Of course, there was an issue with her son, her firstborn and the pride of her life. James was not happy about something and she wasn’t sure what. His wife and their children visited her regularly, but he did not. Indeed, it seemed he spent more time at Hampton Court Palace now than anywhere else, and that confused her. It also worried her. Still, he had come to visit her now and she wanted to speak with him frankly.

Anne looked at her son, noted the bags under his eyes and said. “We see that you are not sleeping properly. Why?”

Her son looked at her and sighed. “Your Majesty, it is because I am having to work overtime to correct the mistakes that Lord Harley is making.”

“Mistakes?” Anne asked, looking behind her to Abigail. “What mistakes?”

“He is pushing too hard to allow for a proper and open alliance with France, to the detriment of all else.” James replied.

Anne was confused by this. “Surely that is a good thing? We are to be tied with France through marriage, so surely it should be wise that we seek to have an alliance with them.”

Her son shook his head. “Marriage does necessitate open alliance, Mother. If we are to be allied with France, when next they venture into open warfare we will then have to make a decision. It is not good form to break an alliance.”

“And why are you so sure that France will break into warfare again, Your Royal Highness?” Abigail asked. There was something in her voice that Anne did not like.

Her son’s face twisted slightly into a look of barely concealed disgust. “Because it is France, Madam. Louis the Sun King might be dead, but his grandson the Dauphin is just as ambitious as him. He will not just settle in one way or another, the Duchy of the Netherlands will be in his sights. We cannot allow that.”

“So, you would risk another war, for something that has not even happened yet?” Abigail asked.

Her son was getting visibly more irate. “I would be smart about it, Madam. We can trade with France whilst still building up our arsenal for the next war.”

Abigail came to kneel before her. “Your Majesty, please listen to me, if you allow Lord Harley to do as he is doing now, you can be sure that there will be no war for us to fight. The money saved can then be used on the things you wish.”

Anne looked at Abigail, felt her hand slipping onto her leg, and she then looked at her son. “Abigail is right, darling. Sir Robert is being smart about this.”

“Madam, you cannot be serious!” James retorted. “Sir Robert is leading us down the path of irrelevancy, we will be abandoning our oldest allies to appease French warmongering and the class of politicians in this country who never fight.”

“You were the one advocating in favour of the French marriage, might we remind you, Sir.” Anne said.

Her son sighed. “Yes, Your Majesty, I was. Because I believed the dowry that was promised would aid in the ultimate goal.”

“And what is that ultimate goal, if not peace?” Anne asked.

“To eclipse the French as the power on the continent, Madam.” James replied. “If you were to allow me to fulfil my proposals, our dominance of the waters would be completely unquestioned, we would also have an army that could be deployed at a moment’s notice. We could then take the colonies in America that the Spanish hold and ensure our dominance is complete.”

Anne’s eyes widened. “Such a thing would cost a fortune. We are not an Empire building nation, Sir, we are a trading nation.”

“Her Majesty is right, Your Royal Highness. Such proposals as you put them would cost the people an arm and a leg.” Abigail said.

“You are not a member of the council, my lady, I suggest you keep your mouth shut.” James said to Abigail.

“Apologise, at once!” Anne commanded of her son.

Her son looked at her and said. “I cannot, Your Majesty. Not to that whore.”

She leaned across and slapped her son across the cheek, something she had never done before. “Then leave.” Anne said.

James bowed and then straightened. “As you wish, Your Majesty.” With that her son turned and stalked out of the room.

VVD0D95

Banned
She is really annoying I will not envy her when James ascends to the thrown and is looking to settle scores. I keep thinking of Emma Roberts from The Favorite when Abigail talks too ha

Lol, she played her quite well. James is definitely waiting for the time he can get his own back. Expect there to be a long conversation between him, his wife Caroline and a certain Henry St John and Robert Walpole

VVD0D95

Banned
Also just realised something under imperial law the eldest son must inherit, which means the prince of Asturias is also in line for the throne of Bavaria after maxi died. This presents issues naturally. Is it possible that one could see the emperor grant a special instance to allow maxi abd Maria Antonias second son to inherit Bavaria instead or no?

@isabella @Valena

Also just realised something under imperial law the eldest son must inherit, which means the prince of Asturias is also in line for the throne of Bavaria after maxi died. This presents issues naturally. Is it possible that one could see the emperor grant a special instance to allow maxi abd Maria Antonias second son to inherit Bavaria instead or no?

@isabella @Valena
I think is more likely who Antonia’s eldest son (aka the Prince of Asturias) will sign a renounce to the Bavarian lands or they will be forced to sign some pact who guarantee separation between the Spanish Crown and the Bavarian electorate

We're still, what, a year and a half away from Anne's OTL death date (August 1714)? And she might live longer ITTL.

Could be a difficult period politically if there's an open rift between the monarch and the heir.

The youngest son of TTL James III is Charles, Duke of Cumberland and Avondale? The font is too small.