A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

Oh? What makes you say they’re a spent power?
I mean to say logically it is far better to use the marriage with others to consolidate power, one way or another they will fight them, so why to give them a chance to delay the outcome. Both of them want control over India, their goals are same, there are no place for peace or compromise here.

VVD0D95

Banned
I mean to say logically it is far better to use the marriage with others to consolidate power, one way or another they will fight them, so why to give them a chance to delay the outcome. Both of them want control over India, their goals are same, there are no place for peace or compromise here.
Dangle the stick

Chapter 123:Sweet Caroline

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 123: Sweet Caroline

March, 1707

Caroline traced the scars on her husband’s chest and wondered how he had gotten them. She snorted, she knew how he had gotten them. Tales of her husband’s bravery had reached her in Whitehall, and her brother William had mentioned it to her when she had arrived. It felt good to be in his arms again, she had missed him terribly during the past three years. They had been reunited earlier that day, and then had lunch and then made love to one another. Now her husband was safe with her and she listened as he spoke.

“How are you, my dear?”

Caroline smiled against him. “You already asked me that.”

“I know, but I wanted to ask again.” Her husband replied.

“I am well, better now that I am with you.” She replied.

“And our son? How is young George?” James asked.

“He is also well, he is talking and walking, Her Majesty is delighted with him. She says he reminds her a lot of you as a child.” Caroline replied.

James laughed. “Oh good, I look forward to meeting him again.” There was a sadness in his voice that hurt her, she knew he had missed much.

“He looks forward to meeting you as well, he asks about you all the time.” Caroline said, it was the truth, their son had started asking about James from the moment he knew who he was.

“Does he now?” James mused aloud. He shifted to be able to look directly at her. “And how are you keeping? Your last letter mentioned something about a fall out between my mother and the Duchess of Marlborough?”

Caroline sighed. “It was a heated argument. The Queen wished to venture to Hampton Court Palace because it is better for Prince George’s health, however the Duchess argued that doing so would open Her Majesty up for criticism from her enemies. Mainly the Duke of Devonshire. She argued it would be better to send the Prince away himself, and that she remains in Whitehall. There was a large argument, and afterwards the Queen barred the Duchess from seeing her for some time.” Caroline had heard the argument and it had quite heated.

James sighed. He stroked her hair. “That woman has always had ideas above her station, and to actually demand something of her sovereign? Simply unforgivable. If the Duke were not such a fine commander I might suggest he be removed for his wife’s impudence.”

“I do not think the Duke should suffer for his wife’s actions. His wife has surely learned by now that this is not the way to do things. She spoke with me, you know, after her argument. She is trying to get things moving with the future generation.” Caroline said.

James snorted. “There is nothing that woman won’t try. Her daughters are just as dangerous.”

“I know, her eldest tried to charm William into bed.” Caroline said.

James roared with laughter. “And I’m sure William told her where to go.”

“That’s why he’s being sent off to come here to serve.” Caroline said.

James sat up. “Wait, my brother is being sent to the front because he turned down the Duchess of Marlborough’s daughter?”

“Yes. It seems the Duchess convinced the Queen to do this as she thought it would be a fitting lesson.” Caroline replied.

James swore. “He is only eighteen, he’s barely learned how to shave.”

“You were a year younger than him when you went off to the front, and you had just had a son.” Caroline pointed out.

“Yes, but I am the heir, it is expected of me. This is not right.” James said, he made to sit up. “I will write to Mother and get her to undo this foolishness.”

Caroline looked at her husband then, really looked at him. “Do you want to spend so much time at the front that you forget your own wife?”

James stopped then. “No, but my brother should not have to suffer for the actions of a woman.”

“He won’t. Not if we play our cards right.” Caroline said.

“What do you mean?” Her husband replied, and she was reminded of just how young he truly was.

“Speak to the Duke of Marlborough, ask him to request William to be stationed with his general regiment, or with the Duke of Berwick. That way he will be under the supervision of an ally, not someone opposed to you. William is a smart lad, and he is a good fighter, he will be okay.” Caroline said.

Her husband got back into bed. “I’ve missed having you by my side.”

“And I’ve missed you.” Caroline replied.

“I cannot wait for this infernal war to end. I think the Prince of Orange has lost track of everything.” James murmured against her hair.

“Why do you say that?” She asked.

“He is ageing, we have been chasing a ghost for the past year. Orleans is not going to try to break through to get to Brussels. His focus is on luring us away from the line and in trying to take our own supply lines. Five times I’ve had to command battles against his forces and we’ve won each one.” James said, though she got the feeling there had been great suffering along with those victories.

“So, write to Her Majesty propose something. Or cultivate a relationship with the Prince of Orange and make him see that this war is not going to end unless he makes it end.” Caroline said.

“How? He does not like me.” James replied.

“Then you must make him like you. Find out what his interests are and go from there. You are going to be a King soon, you cannot simply rely on martial prowess to win the day every time.” Caroline said.

James looked thoughtful for a moment, his lips pursed, then he leaned over and kissed her. “You’re right, as always.”

VVD0D95

Banned
And here we see the relationship between James and Caroline, this is going to be an important marriage for Britannia and Europe, keep an eye out.

Chapter 124: Sunset King

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 124: Sunset King

June, 1707

“Sire, it is my belief that we must make a decision one way or another. We cannot continue the fight on all fronts without losing somewhere. I would recommend changing the strategy so that we put our focus on the Spanish Netherlands and ensure we can finally break through the defensive line. If that means we must lose Lorraine then so be it. Lorraine is nothing compared to the Spanish Netherlands.” Louis Francois said.

Phélypeaux spoke up then. “Sire, I disagree. We must keep Lorraine to ensure that the Austrians do not come within an inch of our borders proper. We must keep Lorraine to show Joseph of Austria that we are superior to him. The Spanish Netherlands have been nothing but a drain on our resources for the past seven years. We have achieved nothing there but corpses. Lorraine is essential to our defences.”

“If we give the Spanish Netherlands up, we are allowing ourselves to be surrounded once more. Maria Antonia of Spain has already decided that her daughter is marrying Archduke Charles. And that man has been fighting with Grand Alliance throughout the war. We must defeat the alliance and take Brussels, otherwise we are surrounded.” Louis Francois retorted.

“How many more bodies need to be lain down on the ground, before you accept that we cannot defeat the Alliance there? Orleans might be a good commander but he is not better than the three commanders that they have.” Phélypeaux responded.

Louis spoke then. “So, you doubt our nephew’s capabilities, is that correct, Phélypeaux?”

The man hesitated before speaking, that was good, Louis might be old and his hearing might be reduced, but he could still intimidate his advisors. “No Sire, that is not what I mean.”

“Then say clearly what you mean. We do not like these riddles.” Louis demanded.

The man swallowed. “Sire, it is only that we have sent thousands of men to their deaths in the Spanish Netherlands, we have not advanced beyond Steenkirk, and I am not sure whether we ever will. His Royal Highness has tried many things to break through the defensive line, including luring the British away from their fronts, and has not succeeded. I do not think this will end well if we continue pursuing such a strategy.”

“And yet, the Spanish Netherlands is directly on our door. If we allow it to go, then we are sending a signal that we are weak and cannot take it. That in of itself will do more to damage our standing than anything else.” Louis replied.

There was a moment of silence as his ministers considered this, then his grandson, the Duke of Burgundy spoke. “Sire, if I may?” Louis nodded for the lad to go ahead. “I propose that instead of considering pulling out of either place, we strengthen deployments within the Spanish Netherlands. There are some ten thousand men stationed at Denain, and another ten thousand men stationed near the border with Spain. Combine those two forces and send them into the Spanish Netherlands. Not to our cousin of Orleans, but under an independent command toward Ramillies, and then from there pursue a third front against the Alliance. Furthermore, we must strengthen our hand, and look for allies elsewhere. Saxony might well be considered a possible ally should it come to that, and we must look to draw the Prussian strength away from Austria’s alliance. A proposal for support to Sweden if they fight the Prussians would do wonders.”

Louis considered this proposal. “It will take far too much time for the defensive force near Spain to march across country to get to where we need them to be. Instead, we shall send the forces currently stationed at Lille northward.” He looked at his grandson and said. “You shall command those forces, take both hosts of ten thousand forward and progress from there to Oudenarde and make your move from there.”

His grandson did not look too happy with that but he nodded all the same. “Yes, Sire.”

Louis then turned to Francois and asked. “And what of our grandson in Naples, how fares he?”

“He is doing well, Sire, he has received Papal recognition and has secured his ports and the cities. Indeed, it seems he wishes to take Milan back from the Austrians and as such is preparing a military expedition to that effect.” Francois replied.

“Write to him and tell him that such a move would be ridiculous and costly. He cannot afford to go off pretending to be some sort of crusader.” Louis replied. Francois nodded and made a note of that. Louis then rose, as did the rest of his ministers. “Now, with that done, we must bid you farewell, there are other things we must attend to.” He was feeling tired and fatigued, but admitting such weakness would not do him well.

Chapter 125: Machinations

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 125: Machinations

September, 1707

“Sire, the Mughal ambassador continues to push forward for an answer to the proposal of marriage made by Emperor Bidar.” Dilbar, the chief official for the court said. “He wishes to know whether or not he should give a positive or negative answer to his master.”

“Remind us again, what is this Emperor offering to ensure that there is some form of worthiness to our giving our granddaughter to him?” Sambhaji asked.

“An extra three hundred guns, two hundred elephants and several chests filled with gold and gems.” Dilbar replied.

“And as regards the Gond, what does he say?” Sambhaji asked.

Dilbar shuffled slightly. “He made no mention of it, Sire.”

Rajaram spoke up then. “The Gonds continue to strengthen their hold over their Kingdom, Sire. I do not think this so called Emperor ever intends to recognise your claim to the land.”

Sambhaji nodded, he knew his brother was eager for war, that his pacification of the tribes to the south had not fed his appetite. “And what of the other Mughal Emperor, what does he offer?”

“He offers his daughter for the Crown Prince, Sire.” Dilbar responded.

“How old is the girl?” Rajaram asked.

“Fifteen, Your Royal Highness.” Dilbar responded.

“Far too young for the Crown Prince.” Rajaram said. “She would be more appropriate for my boy.”

Sambhaji looked at his brother, not saying the words he desperately wanted to say, that Rajaram’s son was a drunken idiot, not fit to continue their bloodline. He did not say it though, his brother was a prickly bastard at the best of times. “What else does this so called Emperor offer?”

“Three hundred tonnes of silver, and the alliance of the Afghan tribes, alongside a chance to take more of Northern Frontier.” Dilbar replied.

Sambhaji leaned forward. “How much?” If they got a foothold into the northern frontier, they could eventually take the capital and then finally do what his father had dreamed of doing for so long.

“From Alwar toward Churu.” Dilbar replied.

Rajaram snorted. “That is nothing, our army could take that.”

“The pretender is planning on declaring war on his brother and invading before the year is out, Sire. Whilst Bidar Bakht does nothing but reform the administration.” Dilbar said.

Sambhaji considered this. He turned to look at his chief general. “Jadhav, what say you?”

His Chief General was fit as ever, though perhaps not accustomed to the new changes coming to the army. “I think that we would be best to play both sides against one another. Let them fight one another and then when they are tired and bloodied, we should march and take Delhi.”

“I agree with Jadhav.” Shahu said, his son rarely spoke during these meetings but it seemed he had grown more confident.

“I think we should march now.” Rajaram said ever the impatient one.

“March now, and we shall face the combined might of the Mughal Empire. We need them divided, and we need scarred.” Shahu said. His son was right.

“And how are we to get them to fight without them suspecting that this is what we are doing?” Rajaram shot back.

Sambhaji looked at his brother and said simply. “We offer them money, and supplies. We suggest that we are going to support them, we get them to offer up information and then we bring it to the other side, with some covert changes. We raise our men and have them perform minor raids on enemy territory.”

“Such as in Ajmer?” Rajaram asked, Sambhaji repressed a sigh, he knew his brother did not like the Raja there, but it was becoming a pain to hear about it constantly.

“Yes, if the need arose.” Sambhaji said simply.

“Then why are we not doing this already?” Rajaram asked. “Why have you waited so long?”

“We wished to assess the situation further.” Sambhaji replied simply.

“And?” Rajaram asked. “What have you decided?”

Sambhaji found his patience with his brother truly beginning to run thin. “We have found conditions to our liking.” He then looked at Dilbar and said. “Respond to the Mughal ambassador and tell him that we shall be happy to accept his offer, but that there should be only a betrothal now. A marriage may happen when the children are of age.” Dilbar nodded.

“What of the other Mughal ambassador?” Shahu asked.

“Rajaram shall meet with him to discuss tactics.” Sambhaji said simply.

Chapter 126: Sweeping Swedes

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 126: Sweeping Swedes

November, 1707

“I cannot just sit here and do nothing. The country is doing perfectly fine. The revolt by those noblemen in Livonia was easily crushed.” Charles said, looking at his wife, the only person he truly trusted. She did not seem convinced. “And I know what you are going to say, but the people are hungry for war. Every time I step outside, someone asks me when we are going to deal with the Prussians. They are stepping on our toes and they know it.”

“Do you think that you can defeat the Prussians and the Danish and whoever else joins them?” His wife, Mary asked.

“Why would the Danes join them? Their King has no interest in war now? I know for a fact that the French have told him outright that they will not support him in any war.” Charles responded. “Furthermore, the Duke of Oldenburg has promised me that he will declare war should the Danes do anything.” That was a bold move that would get the Emperor involved, but Charles was certain that his friend would handle that.

“The Danes want revenge for their defeats in earlier wars, you yourself told me this.” Mary replied. “Furthermore, the Prussians know that Bremen and Further Pomerania are yours, they won’t give them up easily. How do you think the Emperor would respond to your own growing influence within his lands?”

Charles hesitated before replying, his wife was, as always right. Joseph would not respond well to him expanding his reach within the Empire. From what he knew of the man, he tolerated his presence in Pomerania as a counterbalance to Prussian hopes, but with the Prussians aiming for a crown, and a kingdom, Pomerania was a natural link between the two. Charles did not know whether the Emperor would rather give the land to someone he could control, or to someone who was foreign. He looked at his wife and then asked. “What do you suggest I do then?”

Mary looked at him and sighed. “I’d ally with the King of Poland, he might be the Emperor’s uncle, but he also knows that if he allows the Prussians to get their own Kingdom, then his position is challenged. Ally with him and perhaps suggest a marriage between our daughter and his son.”

“And if he refuses? He will go to the Emperor and explain what I offered him and that could bring Imperial might down on us. We are powerful, but we are not that powerful.” Charles pointed out.

“The Emperor is busy with the French and keeping the Ottomans at bay, and I do not truly think that the Polish King would reject the offer. It is too good for him.” Mary replied.

Charles nodded though he also knew that King Karl was someone who would think many times before ever giving a straight response. That was the reason why he said. “Would you mind writing to your mother, Mary? Ask her to have a word with your father and perhaps we can keep the Danes out of this.” He did not know how much Prince George had over his nephew but it was worth trying.

Mary thought for a moment and then said. “I can try. I do not know how much worth it will be though. From everything Father has said, he has more influence with the King’s other brothers than with the King himself.”

Charles sighed. “I suppose then we would be better served leaving it as it is.”

His wife took his hand then and asked. “What will you do?”

Charles looked at his wife. “Call a meeting of ministers and then make plans to attack. I cannot be the one to make the first move, I must poke the Prussians into being the first ones to go.” His wife nodded.

“Smart.”

That it does, though what could force Frederick I to declare war on Sweden.

Without having much knowledge of Frederik as a person. A percieved weakness I think it is the most likely during this age. Simply due to the earned reputation Sweden have currently.

VVD0D95

Banned
Without having much knowledge of Frederik as a person. A percieved weakness I think it is the most likely during this age. Simply due to the earned reputation Sweden have currently.

Agreed which means Prussian troops are now moving away from the border with France.

VVD0D95

Banned
So I have a question for you all, in the soanish Netherlands France hasn’t been able to break through for about four years now, and they’re draining money. Would,Louis look for peace? After all Felipe his grandson now sits as king of Naples, and Lorraine is still his.

So I have a question for you all, in the soanish Netherlands France hasn’t been able to break through for about four years now, and they’re draining money. Would,Louis look for peace? After all Felipe his grandson now sits as king of Naples, and Lorraine is still his.

IMO he would sign a peace. Louis XIV wanted to win a quick victory he was not fond of a longer war, the condition allow him to technically win the war (at least he could still pretend this) and Spain should not be in condition of prolonging the war, so they would willing to negociate.

VVD0D95

Banned
Perhaps let Marlborough do one last piece of strategic genius that forces him to the table?

I like it, another Blenheim perhaps?
IMO he would sign a peace. Louis XIV wanted to win a quick victory he was not fond of a longer war, the condition allow him to technically win the war (at least he could still pretend this) and Spain should not be in condition of prolonging the war, so they would willing to negociate.

And agreed, the Spanish are in no fit state to fight economically, they can bear the loss of Naples and Sicily for now.

If I remember in this war Spain never receveid French economic support, they still receveid an English support but in the form of loans and with the need to put a strong garrison in Spanish Netherlands, I think that in the next years Spain will get bankrupt.