A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

Ah true but it's remain the same familly also concerning her legitimacy is contested because technically it should have Philippe of anjou that should inherit of the realm by his mother Marie-Thérèsa of Austria but because the Treaty of the Pyrenees, he was excluded of the sucession line however as long as the dowry problem is not solved, people could still contested and declared this disposition void. In reality because Philippe IV declares Maria as his successor and because the Spanish didn't want a Bourbons as king she will have not problem but still her legitmacy would be contested during her reign and if her act to harshly some could revolt and support Philip of Anjou as king.

also the Nueva Planta decrees happened after the sucession war, after Philippe destroyed the rebellion and imposed his legitimacy and had the french to back-up him so technically it could be really more ashy especially if the french would support the rebellion.
you are wrong here. Maria Antonia and her mother Margarita before her were the recognized heiress to Spain. Sure Margarita Teresa was the younger sister but her line was still higher than the one of Marie-Thérèse if the unpaid dowry put her back in the succession line and everyone, including Louis XIV knew that. OTL nobody thinked to talk about the Spanish succession while Maria Antonia was still alive and the first partition treaty still recognized her son as the main heir of Spain and Carlos II also named him only heir of all his empire. The line of Margarita and Antonia was the only one with full recognition and indisputable legitimacy of his rights to the Spanish crown

you are wrong here. Maria Antonia and her mother Margarita before her were the recognized heiress to Spain. Sure Margarita Teresa was the younger sister but her line was still higher than the one of Marie-Thérèse if the unpaid dowry put her back in the succession line and everyone, including Louis XIV knew that. OTL nobody thinked to talk about the Spanish succession while Maria Antonia was still alive and the first partition treaty still recognized her son as the main heir of Spain and Carlos II also named him only heir of all his empire. The line of Margarita and Antonia was the only one with full recognition and indisputable legitimacy of his rights to the Spanish crown

After i'm not an expert of the spanish sucessions law and their inheritance custom, i only knew that Margarita Teresa was the younger sister but after few research it seems that you're right, I was wrong in my assertion.

Oh yeah he will find any loophole to claim some territories, the french king made a lot of conquest by using dubious legal arguments.

By example it seems that when Maria Antonietta was betrothed with Maximillian she renounced his right to the spanish sucession, however the cortes never recognized this. But french jurist, could say that her renunciation was valid, and the renunciation of Marguerita Theresa was invalid because the dowry problem, yeah it totally spurious and nobody would recognize this but here he still get a valid reason to claim some territories backed by the parliament of Paris. He could also claim some territories to pay the dowry, or use any kind of obscure law, all he needs is a semblance of legality.

Last edited:

VVD0D95

Banned
Oh yeah he will find any loophole to claim some territories, the french king made a lot of conquest by using dubious legal arguments.

By example it seems that when Maria Antonietta was betrothed with Maximillian she renounced his right to the spanish sucession, however the cortes never recognized this. But french jurist, could say that her renunciation was valid, and the renunciation of Marguerita Theresa was invalid because the dowry problem, yeah it totally spurious and nobody would recognize this but here he still get a valid reason to claim some territories backed by the parliament of Paris. He could also claim some territories to pay the dowry, or use any kind of obscure law, all he needs is a semblance of legality.

I think Maria’s renunciation only happened on her death bed,and even then it was dubious. But he could claim the Spanish Netherlands as a dowry

VVD0D95

Banned
So it seems that leopold forced her to renounce her claims during her marriage, but the Spanish Cortes never accepted that. I wonder if leopold would ever mention this if he gets annoyed with her

Chapter 76: Diplomacy Is A Sham

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 76: Diplomacy Is A Sham

“If we have understood you correctly, you are telling us that the Princess of Asturias has convinced the King of Spain to implement reforms that have taken away the sovereignty of the kingdoms of Aragon and Navarre, and replaced them with the one rule edict from Madrid?” Louis asked.

“Yes Your Most Catholic Majesty. The word is that the Princess put pressure on the Queen to do it, and the King was roused from his stupor to sign the order that gave her the power to do it. This has not gone down well in the relevant kingdoms as you can imagine, for instance, the nobles of Aragon led by the Duke of Aliaga has expressed his concern that this will impede on their traditional rights and privileges, and as such they have placed an embargo on various goods from Castile.” Le Tellier said. “As such it seems that the grandees of both Aragon and Navarre are working together to try and bring about a more coherent rebellion strategy.”

“And how have they responded to our suggestion that they might find favourable terms at our side?” Louis asked. The thought of taking away two Kingdoms that made up Spain and taking their territories alongside them made him salivate.

“So far, they have responded positively though with caution. Aliaga does not seem sure if he wants to go into full rebellion, or if this is simply something that he wants for the short term. There is an impression that the Queen will soon back down if they show enough force. Already sources are reporting that the Princess of Asturias is considering stepping down on the reforms.” Tellier replied.

“And how true are these reports? We all know that there are times when these people shift between truths and half truths. Never knowing whether they are being completely honest.” Louis said, reminded of the rumours that had finished the War of the Pyrenees some years ago.

“From what we have learned, they are quite true. The Duke seems to think that if he can convince the Princess of Asturias that things would be better with gradual reform, rather than outright reform from the get, then she shall agree that they need to be peeled back. However, I believe there is room for us to get involved.” Tellier responded.

Intrigued, Louis asked. “What do you have in mind?”

“We can play on the rivalries between Aliaga and Alba, both men are powerful and both want to expand their powerbases. What we can do is ensure that Aliaga’s fear that his power base is threatened by Alba is proven to be justified. Money, whispers and the odd word to Alba through our sources at court in Madrid could well do that.” Tellier responded.

Louis thought over this then asked. “How is the King of Spain keeping? Is he likely to remain in his current state for long?” That was the crucial bit, if they could have him either remain as he was, or if he could slip away to meet God, then things would be fine.

“I believe he will die soon, Sire. There will be chaos when he does die.” Tellier said, that last bit was unneeded they all knew that.

“Then see to it.” Louis replied. He then flicked through a document and asked. “What of Sultan Ahmed has he agreed to finally go through with the attack on the Balkans?” That was important for keeping the Austrians distracted.

“He has recently negotiated a peace agreement with the Persians, Sire. I believe his men are tired but the people demand more war to reclaim territory they had previously lost. Emperor Leopold’s alliance with the Poles and the Tsar of Russia suggests that is his focus for now.” Tellier said.

“Very well, reassure the Sultan that we shall continue with our trading agreements, if he continues with his promise of an invasion.” Louis said. Tellier made a note of that, Louis then said. “Send word to my nephew at the border, tell him to prepare his soldiers. We shall have him engaged before the year is out.” Once again Tellier nodded and made a note of it. Louis looked at the map spread before them and smiled, soon he would have what was rightfully his.

Now the question. Arises, will Louis be successful, will leopold focus more on the Turks or not

All depend of how many allies Spain could get, in this period France could raise 350 000 man on the field, more that the army of Austria and Spain combined.
And even if the ottoman stay neutral, leopold should let a part of his army to protect the border and the Spainsh army is in a pitiful state.

Here less power want to help the Habsburg because they are more sucessful, they kept Spain and take Poland now people are wary of them especially the little state in the Holy Roman Empire, however if louis XIV is too successful some power could choose the Spanish side to try to stop Louis XIV but if Louis XIV start to loose badly some power would come in his side to save him, they need France like a counter power to the Habsburg.

Chapter 77: Death, Scheme

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 77: Death, Scheme

Windsor was always a nicer place for them during the summer. Whitehall became quite stuffy and humid, as the temperature inevitably rose. Court came with them, alongside a myriad of officials, dancers and other people hoping to make some mark on them. George always seemed to get better, or feel better when he was in Windsor during the summer, away from the stuffiness and hot air. Indeed, they were far more able to go on walks during their time at Windsor than at Whitehall.

They were on one such walk now. Anne wanted to discuss a great many things, but most importantly she wanted to discuss their children. “I think that Mary should be married as soon as Charles of Sweden is ready. He has been ruling independently for two years now, our ambassador there speaks of how he rules with an iron fist. With the way things are looking now, I think that we should push for the marriage to happen as soon as possible.”

George said nothing for a moment, Anne knew he was considering her words, he had always been thoughtful like that. “Mary is only fifteen, my dear, she has some time yet to grow and to prosper. Besides, I do not think it would do us any good to rush into such a marriage. We have the betrothal, but I am not sure whether Charles of Sweden means to see it through.”

Anne looked at her husband, wondering what he was thinking. “You mean to say, that you think that the Swedes will not hold true to the marriage?” That was not something she had considered, she had long thought that the Swedes would need them, after all, George had been responsible for pulling the Holsten Gottorp family away from them.

“It’s not the Swedes per say that I am worried about.” George replied. “It is their King. From all accounts, Charles seems like his father’s son in terms of military practice. But in terms of marriage, well, he hasn’t even had a mistress.”

Anne narrowed her eyes then. “What are you suggesting, dear? That the King of Sweden might swing to the other side?” Such a thought was scandalous, she was not sure if she wanted to have her daughter, her eldest at that, married off to such a man. But then, who were the other candidates?

“I do not know, my dear. But I do know that we should be careful. If there is to be a war in Europe, then yes of course we should bring Sweden into the fold and away from the French, and that would require a marriage, otherwise, I think perhaps we should wait.” George said.

Anne sighed, she would perhaps have to bring this up with Sunderland and the Cabinet. Yet, the thought of doing just that made her skin crawl. “You know the moment I mention this to the cabinet, Sunderland will opine for a French marriage, or a French client marriage, and Shrewsbury will oppose him for that direct reason. Perth will try and suggest some sort of middle ground, and the others will simply bleat. I do not think Sunderland truly cares what the situation is anymore, so long as he can spite Shrewsbury.” That was something that had long irked her. Sunderland had served her father and uncle so very well, and now in the twilight of his years he seemed to have lost that drive.

“And of course you do not want to ask him to leave, in case that brings Shrewsbury right to the door?” George asked, though it wasn’t really a question, they both knew her thoughts on Shrewsbury.

“No, definitely not. Shrewsbury is good with what he does, but some of his views are still quite aligned with Devonshire. I do not want to lean too closely toward the Dutch Republic, not with their interests so close to impeding on our own. I will have to ensure Sunderland understands this and everything else that stands before us.” Anne replied.

“Indeed it would see so.” George said. They walked along for a little while long before stopping when they heard a messenger calling out at them.

“Your Majesty, Your Majesty!” A boy, perhaps no older than their eldest son James stopped before them panting. “Your Majesty, I bring a message from the Earl of Sunderland.”

“Well, out with it boy.” Anne commanded.

The boy took a moment to get his breath back, then in one go spoke. “There has been word from Madrid, King Charles of Spain is dead.”

Anne looked at the boy, then at her husband, a sinking feeling in her stomach. She knew what that meant. They both did. She gave the boy a coin, and then hurried back to the main building.

VVD0D95

Banned
So, Carlos is dead, Anne and George aren't sure whether Charles of Sweden will stick with the marriage. What next?

VVD0D95

Banned
So now, of course I must ask, what next? Is Louis going to declare war on Spain for some juicy territories

So now, of course I must ask, what next? Is Louis going to declare war on Spain for some juicy territories
He's already basically set to do that. He's pushed his legal claim to the Spanish Netherlands as part of the unpaid dowry. Spain, if I remember correctly, is having internal issues over the autonomy of Aragon and Nevarre. France already dealt with being surrounded by an opposing alliance, and nominally succeeded. So it isn't like Louis has learned his lesson, especially if he knows Russia, Poland-Lithuania, and Austria are building up to go to war against the Ottomans.
So, Carlos is dead, Anne and George aren't sure whether Charles of Sweden will stick with the marriage. What next?
I actually agree with Anne here. I understand George not wanting to marry his daughter too early, or to a king who appears remarkably ambivalent regarding marriage. However I'd actually think forcing the marriage early would be best. Charles is still young enough he'd be more easily pressured now than he might in a few years. He's also very religious, and breaking a marriage that has already occurred is far harder than denying to carry out a betrothal. In turn Mary's age isn't terrible, and if Charles prefers to...delay certain aspects that just gives her more time to settle into Sweden as Queen.

Charles also might be more malleable once the War of Spanish Succession breaks out, or if. He's a warrior king, if you haven't partially butterflied that. If Sweden doesn't find itself attacked by Russia or PLC like OTL, Charles will almost certainly jump to use Swedish military power and project influence into the WoSS. That is best done in coordination with the English or Dutch. That will probably be the best time to say 'you are betrothed to Princess Mary. What better way to encourage cooperation between our forces than to have that marriage go through?'

Unless George and Anne are willing to break the betrothal or have another acceptable option for Anne-which they don't based on the 'But then, who were the other candidates?', then any suspicions they have over Charles breaking the betrothal in the future would likely only force them to try and apply pressure to prevent this.

VVD0D95

Banned
He's already basically set to do that. He's pushed his legal claim to the Spanish Netherlands as part of the unpaid dowry. Spain, if I remember correctly, is having internal issues over the autonomy of Aragon and Nevarre. France already dealt with being surrounded by an opposing alliance, and nominally succeeded. So it isn't like Louis has learned his lesson, especially if he knows Russia, Poland-Lithuania, and Austria are building up to go to war against the Ottomans.

I actually agree with Anne here. I understand George not wanting to marry his daughter too early, or to a king who appears remarkably ambivalent regarding marriage. However I'd actually think forcing the marriage early would be best. Charles is still young enough he'd be more easily pressured now than he might in a few years. He's also very religious, and breaking a marriage that has already occurred is far harder than denying to carry out a betrothal. In turn Mary's age isn't terrible, and if Charles prefers to...delay certain aspects that just gives her more time to settle into Sweden as Queen.

Charles also might be more malleable once the War of Spanish Succession breaks out, or if. He's a warrior king, if you haven't partially butterflied that. If Sweden doesn't find itself attacked by Russia or PLC like OTL, Charles will almost certainly jump to use Swedish military power and project influence into the WoSS. That is best done in coordination with the English or Dutch. That will probably be the best time to say 'you are betrothed to Princess Mary. What better way to encourage cooperation between our forces than to have that marriage go through?'

Unless George and Anne are willing to break the betrothal or have another acceptable option for Anne-which they don't based on the 'But then, who were the other candidates?', then any suspicions they have over Charles breaking the betrothal in the future would likely only force them to try and apply pressure to prevent this.
Agree with you there, louis will definitely be looking to take what he thinks is rightfully his. Or rather his son’s.

As to Charles, again agree with you there, he’s seventeen now, Mary fourteen, plenty of time for a marriage and for them to get to know one another. If Charles got involved would it be mainly in Germany that he’d be operating?

Chapter 78: Invasion

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 78: Invasion

Philippe looked at the field before him, the town walls were taking an absolute pounding. As commander of the army sent to take the border towns of the Spanish Low Countries, he had decided he would take the lead on taking Mons, having defeated a Spanish defensive force quite easily and prevented any survivors from making it back to the town. He had sent his cousin Vendome out to take Charleroi, in an order to prevent encirclement. Philippe was quite confident at this.

His uncle, the King had decided he wanted to take the Spanish Low Countries as part of the dowry he was owed for Aunt Maria’s marriage, some time ago. The Spanish had expressed no desire to pay anything-though according to his father, they had nothing to pay- and therefore here he was. The Spanish and the Dutch would not be happy, and no doubt the Britannic people wouldn’t be either. But then they never were happy. So, what of it? Another cannon ball hit the wall and Philippe cheered alongside his men as part of it fell.

“How many more are there?” Philippe asked his aid, wanting to know just how much powder they’d need to use before it became necessary to storm the town. The King wanted the town taken without too many casualties.

“I would say another three to four goes of it should do it, Your Royal Highness. We do not want to extend it too much.” Came the reply from his aide Bonton.

The ground shook as another cannon hit the wall, there were three big walls around the city, Philippe had decided to attack the main one, where all the goods and services entered. The other two were far too high and sturdy to take down, and he didn’t want to waste gun powder. He watched as the defenders on the walls, rallied and fired back. An exchange played out, where one would fire, and then another would respond. Over and over this went on, before eventually the guns on the walls of Mons stopped. A shattering crash sounded, as the final part of the main wall fell. Philippe calmed his horse and then drew his sword. “Into the city!” He cried, he rode hard and fast, when they got to the wall, he spurred his horse over the debris, and felt satisfied when the horse landed smoothly.

There were a few guardsmen left standing who put up a bit of resistance, but by and large there was little in the way of opposition. After wetting his blade, the town surrendered. Philippe soon found himself barking out orders for his men to guard the walls, and for other men to take stock of everything they’d found. He rode his horse toward the town hall, where the commander of the city stood waiting for him. Philippe remained ahorse as the man and his congregation got down on one knee and said. “We, the people of Mons do pledge allegiance to His Most Catholic Majesty, King Louis of France, we recognise him as our rightful overlord, and sovereign. By the Grace of God.”

For a moment Philippe forgot the words he was supposed to say in response, he’d been practicing them on the way over. Then, he remembered them. “We, Philippe of France, representative of His Most Catholic Majesty, King Louis of France, do hereby recognise your oath of fealty, and bid you rise.” He waited until they had risen before he dismounted. He towered over the commander, something that gave him great pleasure. “Walk with me, Sir.” He commanded and ventured into the town hall.

There were paintings of the Spanish Kings dating back to Philip II, there were paintings of noblemen and noble women, one of whom caught Philippe’s eyes, he suspected she was still alive, given the writing under her painting. He would find out who she was later. As they walked through the hallway, Philippe, allowed the man to stew in fearful silence, it was always the best method, he had found. When they got to the main hall, he stopped and spoke. “What do you know of the defences of the other cities?”

The man looked surprised, and Philippe knew the man thought that he didn’t know anything, he could tell there was a desire to play a trick floating through his mind, but he thought better of it. “They are lacking, there hasn’t been a consistent plan since the last war, Your Royal Highness.”

Philippe nodded, that was good news if true, yet he was not sure that it was. Deciding to probe a little further he asked. “And, do you think the Dutch are likely to get involved immediately?” It was a bit too open, but he had to know.

“Yes, but not as they did before. Reports suggest they are not wealthy enough.” The commander said.

Philippe knew the man was lying then, but he nodded all the same. “Thank you.” With that he turned and walked out of the hall, to find his bed, and a woman.

VVD0D95

Banned
And here we have the start of what I'm calling the War for the Spanish Empire.

How will Spain, Britannia, the Dutch Republic, France and the Holy Roman Empire respond to this French victory and its implications?

Chapter 79: Give Me More

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 79: Give Me More

“Sire, we have received positive reports coming from the Spanish Low Countries.” Louis le Tellier, his Minister for War said. “His Royal Highness, the Duke of Chartres has taken Mons, and Steenkirk. Whilst His Grace the Duke of Vendome has taken Charleroi and Fleurues. So far the response from the Spanish has been slow, the forces of the governor have not been well organised or even well arranged. According to the His Royal Highness, the governor of Mons informed him that there is division amongst the cities over how the governance of the region has been going.”

Louis nodded, that was good news, for it meant that the Spanish would have to over exert themselves when they finally got their things together to fight. “And what has been the response from within Spain itself? As well as from the Dutch?” He asked, he knew that the Dutch were the greater threat here.

“Sire, our reports show that William of Orange is having great difficulty convincing the States General to raise the necessary money for a proper defensive war. It seems that Your Majesty’s plan has worked. The States General are divided between the Republican faction and the Organist faction. One wants peace, and to let the Spanish handle the mess themselves, whilst the other wants war, for fear of what could spill over.” Tellier replied.

“They fear we could go for their colonies?” Louis asked, truth be told that was not something he had considered, he was more concerned with affairs in Europe than in the New World, that was for others to worry about.

“Yes Your Majesty, they worry that such a thing would destroy their standing and that of their leader.” Tellier replied.

That was interesting, Louis had never thought that William of Orange and his party of flamboyant dandies would rely so heavily on the power of the foreign countries they controlled to keep power. He had always thought it rested on William’s own might as a soldier and commander. That and the death of de Witt. “Would they be able to rally in time to defend Brussels itself?” Louis wanted a quick war, take Brussels force the Spanish out and then take what was his.

“I do not think so, Sire. I think they might appeal to Britannia for support.” Tellier replied.

Pontchartrain, Minister for the Navy spoke then. “The Britannic fleet has already been mustered and is patrolling the Channel, Sire.”

Louis looked at the man and asked. “Who commands it?”

“The Duke of Cumberland, it seems the Queen of Britannia has given him permission.” Pontchartrain responded.

Louis nodded, now that was interesting. “Send word to the King of Denmark, remind him of our friendship, and the possibility of more land gained from Sweden should he intervene against his foolhardy brother.” Tellier nodded, it would be important to keep Sweden and Denmark fighting one another, to ensure neither could ally with the Dutch. “And what of Spain, how has Queen Maria responded?” The woman seemed to be brittle and frail, he had never met her, but his spies had reported as such.

“She has had her hands full with Aragon, Sire.” Tellier reported. “The nobles there have played right into our hands, they are looking for aid of course, for they know they cannot complete this for long.”

“Send Marshal Tourville, with the fourth, fifth, eighth and tenth regiments into Aragon to aid our friends there.” Louis commanded. He then looked at his son, the Dauphin, a singularly uninspiring man who Louis could not quite comprehend as his own son, when he compared him to the boy’s own son, the Duke of Burgundy. “Tellier, prepare the twentieth, twenty-first and twenty-second regiments for service under the command of our grandson, the Duc de Anjou. They shall march through our ally Savoy’s territory and aim for Milan.”

There was some surprise evident on the faces of different ministers, but this was something Louis had been considering for a long time. Either he took the Spanish Low Countries or he took another region, either way he would get what was his. “Yes Sire, will there be a Marshal accompanying His Royal Highness?”

“Yes, Marshal Catinat.” Louis said. “We want orders sent for them to be ready to march before the week is over.” With that he rose and walked out of the council chamber, he had other things to attend to.

VVD0D95

Banned
So, my main query here is this, would Louis ally with Denmark here, or try to anyway, or convince Sweden to side with him, given their historical ties?

An alliance with Swedish would be counterproductive because it will push Brandeburg and the Dannish in the Spanish side, or Louis XIV know that the Swedes couldn't fight both power in the same time, so so he will seek an alliance with the Swedes only if the Danish or Brandeburg choose the Spanish side.

After i don't know the relation between Christian V and Louis XIV, but an alliance with the Danish could be really useful, because if they goes in war against the Swedes, Brandeburg would surely joins them because they desesperently want Swedish Pomerania and if the french are on their side, a victory is more likely that the last time. Or if Danish and Brandeburg are in the french side, many germans prince could not join the Spanish side because they will be surrounded by ennemies and doesn't want to fight them it will suicidal for them, instead some of them could even join the french side, feeling the Dutch blood (Munster, Cologne, ...).