A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

IOTL Poles used Catholic settlers from Franconia to resettle lands devasted by Great Northern War, their descendants called Bambrzy (Bambers) named after town of Bamberg, still live around Poznań.

Wittelsbachs would be most successful if concentrate on their private domains and not provoke nobles with impatient moves, day for making reforms would came one day with increasing level of education among nobility (like it happened IOTL but in worse international situation and 3 May Constitution coming in worst possible moment, when it was associated with French Revolution) especially educated class of administration workers is needed first. It should be achieved earlier ITTL without destruction of GNW, which was as bad for PLC as Deluge.

It's also why I suggest a peaceful buying up land, including on the eastern frontier (where land are cheap), expand taxation against Jews (and other group without powerful backers) and share these taxes with the nobility.

VVD0D95

Banned
Query. Should Tuscany remain with the Medici or go to someone else? How likely is it that the powers that be would allow Anna de Medici to inherit it and after her her son with the duke of Modena

VVD0D95

Banned
So for Poland, the Neuburg should expand their own private domains seizing land that’s gone without a lord etc? Build up their portfolio there the. Strike?

Query. Should Tuscany remain with the Medici or go to someone else? How likely is it that the powers that be would allow Anna de Medici to inherit it and after her her son with the duke of Modena

I would say that Tuscany would only go to Annade Medici, if France and Austria decides the duchy isn't worth a war, and neither is in a position to browbeat the other to accept it gaining it and there doesn't exist a potential trade, where one power gain it against the other power gaining something else another place. I personal think the Austrian Habsburg controlling Tuscany, Milan and the Two Sicilies at once would be interesting.

VVD0D95

Banned
I would say that Tuscany would only go to Annade Medici, if France and Austria decides the duchy isn't worth a war, and neither is in a position to browbeat the other to accept it gaining it and there doesn't exist a potential trade, where one power gain it against the other power gaining something else another place. I personal think the Austrian Habsburg controlling Tuscany, Milan and the Two Sicilies at once would be interesting.
Interesting you don’t think that either Ferdinand or Gian could produce an heir? Especially for Gian If he married someone interesting?

Chapter 74: William, Hold Your Head Up

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 74: William, Hold Your Head Up

The Hague was dull and grey, rain hammered at the windows. Autumn had come in full force after the joys of summer. William, Prince of Orange, and Stadholder of the Netherlands kept his eyes trained on the men in front of him, though his mind wandered toward his children, who were growing so very quickly. Deciding that he needed to get things going, he spoke.

“My lords, we have been sat here for three hours already and yet we have not even come a consensus about what to do with the taxation levels. I find that to be quite disappointing and surely in need of change.” It was the beginning of the working week, and already William wanted to return to his estates.

The Grand Pensionary a man who William despised, replied. “Your Highness, surely you must appreciate that we cannot rush through something as complicated as this. There are three to four things that need resolving. The allocation of funding for the military the allocation of funding for poor relief and finally rebuilding the castle fortresses alongside our border with the Spanish. We cannot simply grant more money to these ventures. Not without taking money from elsewhere.”

“I understand that, my lord.” William replied, usually he and the Grand Pensionary got along just fine, but recently the man had been more and more obstinate. “And I believe and I am sure you will agree with me, that with France looking evermore hungrily at the Spanish Low Countries we must maintain a strong army. Indeed, we must if necessary take control of the border fortresses with France, from the Spanish. We cannot, in good conscience let the invalid King overrule us there. As to the need for taking money from elsewhere, that is not true. I have looked at the books and have seen that we are more than within a surplus of treasury funds. Indeed, we are benefitting from the current peace and trade with Russia, to have enough money to leave for war.”

“So, you would rather endanger that peace, and the stability of the continent for something that might well be inevitable?” The Pensionary responded. “I would rather the funds were focused on the navy instead of the army. We can deliver several blows to the French on sea. Whilst on land we would need to rely on the Emperor and the Spanish. Both of whom are not reliable. Furthermore, we must display to the Britannic people that we are not weak. They are already looking at taking our colonies.”

William ran a hand over his head, they had been discussing this one point for the past hour. “You know something, my lord? I think that you are more concerned with keeping your own investments secure than the interests of the republic. I believe the time has come for us to actually discuss France instead of your own interests.” The Pensionary looked quite offended at that, but remained silent. William continued speaking. “We have an alliance with Russia sealed through the betrothal of my daughter with the Tsarevich, however, Russia is too far away to be of help with France. Therefore, we must strengthen ties with Britannia. They have a strong fleet, and a strong army, they demonstrated solid capabilities during the Six Years War. I would suggest that a member of my family marry into theirs.” He looked at his cousin and said. “Cousin, perhaps your daughter could marry Queen Anne’s son the Duke of York, they are of an age are they not?”

His cousin, who served as an advisor, pertaining to William’s good favour nodded. “Indeed, I believe that is true, Your Highness.”

The Pensionary spoke then. “Why not marry your son to the Queen’s daughter, Your Highness? Surely that would be more beneficial and would bring a dowry instead of sending one off.”

“I have plans for my son’s marriage.” William replied. “A more continental marriage, one that might actually strengthen our hands in terms of handling France.” That was a bluff, in truth he wanted to see how the Pensionary responded to this suggestion.

“I do not think that would be wise, Your Highness. Britannia has emerged from the last war, a growing power. We need the money and the connections, and with no ill meaning to the Prince Henry, but I do not think that his daughter would be a suitable bride to offer here.” The Pensionary said.

William looked at his cousin, who remained mute, William smiled then. “And there you have it. My lord, we must first offer the marriage of my cousin’s daughter, before we offer my son. We cannot offer the prize before offering the bait. The Britannic people are a proud lot, yes, but the Queen is well aware of how things stand between our two nations. We can bring them to table over various issues, including France and the colonial disputes.” It was a rough shot in the dark, but he hoped it would work.

The Pensionary was silent for a moment, seemingly unsure whether to believe him, then gradually he sighed. “Very well, Your Highness, I consent.” William smiled, this would be an interesting time.

VVD0D95

Banned
And here we have William trying to get things to go his way, all the while people worry about the inevitable war to come.

VVD0D95

Banned
So what do people think, should Williams son marry Anne’s third daughter, Sophie Amalie, or should a daughter of Henry Casemir marry William duke of York?

So what do people think, should Williams son marry Anne’s third daughter, Sophie Amalie, or should a daughter of Henry Casemir marry William duke of York?
Why not both? Though Duke of York has less issues with contemporary bridal market than his older brother. A British Princess of Orange is pretty much a tradition by now considering William's mother and first wife.

VVD0D95

Banned
Why not both? Though Duke of York has less issues with contemporary bridal market than his older brother. A British Princess of Orange is pretty much a tradition by now considering William's mother and first wife.
This is very true.

Given that Anne wouldn't want the Duchess of York be of nobler pedigree than Princess of Wales, and stepdaughter of Elector of Saxony is among the best offers (the Danish girl, while interesting, is about the same as French Mademoiselle de Conti - yes, technically both of her parents are related to ruling family, but her line is so cadet nobody would in their right mind consider it a solid offer on international marriage market), the Dutch Duchess of York is quite likely.

VVD0D95

Banned
Given that Anne wouldn't want the Duchess of York be of nobler pedigree than Princess of Wales, and stepdaughter of Elector of Saxony is among the best offers (the Danish girl, while interesting, is about the same as French Mademoiselle de Conti - yes, technically both of her parents are related to ruling family, but her line is so cadet nobody would in their right mind consider it a solid offer on international marriage market), the Dutch Duchess of York is quite likely.
Agree with you there

Interesting you don’t think that either Ferdinand or Gian could produce an heir? Especially for Gian If he married someone interesting?
Gian Gastone will likely have children if he marry anyone else than his OTL wife (match impossible TTL because the different match for Anna Maria)...
If Gian Gastone marry late maybe she can be a viable candidate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleonora_Luisa_Gonzaga
Ferdinand married as OTL? Who is the husband of Anna Maria?

VVD0D95

Banned
Gian Gastone will likely have children if he marry anyone else than his OTL wife (match impossible TTL because the different match for Anna Maria)...
If Gian Gastone marry late maybe she can be a viable candidate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleonora_Luisa_Gonzaga
Ferdinand married as OTL? Who is the husband of Anna Maria?

Oh Eleonora could be quite interesting. Ferdinand is indeed married as otl. As for Anna Maria she's married to Francesco II, Duke of Modena

Chapter 75: Princess of Asturias

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 75: Princess of Asturias

Maria shifted slightly, the dress she was wearing was very uncomfortable, but as it was the expected dress at court, and as she was the heiress apparent she put up with it. She couldn’t wait for when she was Queen then she would remove these ridiculous dresses for something less formal. She banished that thought by chastising herself, the King was ill not dead, not yet anyway. Maria focused as the Queen spoke.

“We have been focusing on reforming the system of taxation and as such it appears that we have reached an agreement with the Cortes of the different Kingdoms, that make up our husband’s kingdom. Alba, if you would?”

The Duke of Alba was a solider and a politician and slightly dashing, he had formed a steady friendship with her own husband, Maximilian. “Thank you, Your Majesty. After much negotiation, the Cortes of Aragon and Navarre have agreed that subject to certain terms being met, they will encourage the raising of taxes by three percent for all those with the appropriate amount of land within their possession. The terms that they wish met are an increased presence of troops on the order with France, and the proper splitting up of the silver from the colonies.”

The Queen seemed quite pleased with this, and that was not something that Maria could understand. “What do you make of this, Princess?” the woman asked her. The Queen seemed at once to be deferential to her, given her rank, but also quite uncourteous to her due to their differing positions. Maria supposed to had to do with the fact that she had arrived in Spain quite quickly after the invitation had been sent out.

“I think that this is perhaps a middling idea, that could work well if one wished to keep the different kingdoms separate from one another. However, this council has mentioned before how it wished to integrate the different kingdoms together under one common banner and one union and Cortes. Therefore, I feel that this compromise is not good enough, indeed it seems that we are surrendering the keys without getting anything in return.” Maria said. She took a breath then continued. “The French are a clear threat to both Navarre and Aragon and at each turn during the wars of the last three decades, it has been troops from Castile who have gone to save them. They can demand more troops, but that is an inevitability. They cannot however, demand more silver from the colonies when those colonies belong to Castile and not to them. They would only benefit from them under a union of one crown, not the separate entities.”

There was silence in the council chamber, the Queen looked quite surprised. It appeared that she had expected Maria to simply agree with everything that she had said. The Queen took a moment then replied in a tone that showed her anger. “Well, that might be one consideration, yet the Cortes of Aragon and Navarre had long protected their independence in personal matters. I do not think they would willingly give up that without something else being offered. Truth be told, we cannot afford to alienate them, not with what happened the last time.”

Maria sighed. “I do not think it would be alienating them, instead it would be showing them that we will no longer be pushed around.” She took a look at the members of the council, assessing their mood. The Duke of Alba seemed intrigued, the Queen seemed angry, the Cardinal Portocarrero seemed unimpressed. She continued on regardless. “We must offer a firm hand. For too long now we have danced around and offered nothing of substance. Castile is the dominant power, and our debts are in the name of Spain. The burden must be shared out, and in return for that, then and only then can they consider getting anything of benefit from the colonies. They must have their debts melded into Spain’s and from there we can discuss. That means dissolving their Cortes.”

The Cardinal spoke then. “Her Royal Highness is right to suggest this.” Maria looked at him, unsure of whether or not he was being sincere. “France is a threat that won’t go away. They are going to look toward taking the Spanish Netherlands, and that is something that would harm us greatly. Therefore, we must solidify the power of Spain under one entity, one Cortes not three, and not more than that.”

“How do you suggest we get them under control to agree to that?” the Queen demanded.

Maria spoke then. “We offer them the chance at having their individual debts written off through the merger with Castile into one single political body. In return they shall get free access to the Spanish military, without worries over paying the fees for them. And they will get access to the colonies. Furthermore, we shall also present a united front against the French, thus preventing the wider problem of the French using dissenting masses of nobles against us.”

The Queen seemed hesitant, as if she liked the idea but something was preventing her from publicly admitting to doing so. Eventually, she nodded. “Very well, we shall see how this progresses. Maria, I want you to be part of these talks.”

Maria nodded. “It would be my pleasure.” Perhaps now she could get the chance to show the lessons she had learned.