A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

Chapter 287: A Cambridge Sunset

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 287: A Cambridge Sunset

March, 1747

“The King wants to shake up the council a little.” James, Duke of Cambridge said.

His wife Philippine looked at him, eyebrows raised. “Why?”

“He thinks it’s filled with old men and there’s not enough development happening.” James replied.

“Is he wrong?” His wife asked.

“No.” James said. “In fact I think that’s the most right he’s been since he took the throne.” He took a breath then continued. “The council’s main architects are all old men. Uncle York has barely left Holyrood since the last election, Wyndham is dying, I’m convinced Cotton is going senile and then there’s Wynn who is holding on by sheer force.”

“So, who would you replace them with?” Philippine asked.

“Younger men.” James answered.

“Such as yourself?” Philippine suggested.

James smiled. “Well, if the offer were made I would not be opposed to it.”

Philippine laughed and then said. “There will need to be others brought in also.”

“Naturally.” James concurred. “I was thinking perhaps Lord Barry, he’s given some very impassioned speeches in the Commons and he’s done some excellent work as part of the Treasury Committee.”

“Wouldn’t the fact he’s Irish stand against him?” Philippine asked.

“Not at all.” James said. “The Duke of Ormonde was able to ascend through the army and become a senior military official because of his skill, the fact he came from Ireland didn’t hamper him. I think it will be the same here.”

His wife nodded. “On that note, then I would suggest the Viscount Bulkeley be suggested also. He’s got a good head on his shoulders from what you’ve told me.”

“Agreed.” James replied. “Then we need an Englishman as well. I think perhaps the Earl of Bedford.”

“Bedford makes sense.” Philippine agreed. “He’s always been partial to the policies His Majesty favours.”

“I thought so as well.” James agreed. “It would also help deal with those pesky rumours The Independent started.”

“You don’t think anyone actually believes the rumours, do you?” Philippine asked.

James shook his head. “I would hope not, but you can never be too sure. The Independent has become an increasingly radical paper over the years and I’m not sure why the King allows it to remain standing.”

“Probably because it would make the rumours that they’ve started now pale in comparison to what rumours they would start were he to try something like that.” Philippine pointed out.

“This is true.” James said. “Still, I don’t know what that idiot Fane was thinking talking to the Independent.” William Fane, relation to the Earl of Westmorland had apparently gotten very drunk at a society function a few weeks ago and opened his mouth to someone who just happened to be a writer for The Independent, about so called cuts to the army. Naturally this had drawn a stink and they were still trying to put out that fire.

“Who knows, but Bedford could help stem the tide. He has ties to The Independent does he not?” Philippine asked.

“Partial ties, yes. I think his cousin owns a stake in the paper.” James said.

“That could be useful come the next election.”

“Yes, yes it could.” James agreed.

Nice to see Phillipine inheriting some of political smarts of her father - despite having to suffer the SAME voes her grandmother had in early years of her marriage.
Otherwise, nice update.

It would be nice to see other branches of Royal Family (the Gloucesters, the Cumberlands etc.) shown.

VVD0D95

Banned
Nice to see Phillipine inheriting some of political smarts of her father - despite having to suffer the SAME voes her grandmother had in early years of her marriage.
Otherwise, nice update.

It would be nice to see other branches of Royal Family (the Gloucesters, the Cumberlands etc.) shown.

I'#ll definitely be getting to them very soon, especially the Gloucesters given the prominent role James of Gloucester holds :)

Chapter 288: A King's Commands

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 288: A King’s Commands

July, 1747

“It is quite simple really, we are at odds with almost every Kingdom in Europe.” Louis said looking at both his sons. “They are threatened by our prosperity and power, and thus will seek to prevent us from growing any further.” He should know, he’d had a series of angry letters from both Brussels and Vienna over his planned road expansion a few months ago, letters which he’d very much ignored.

“How are we to keep them at bay then?” His son the Dauphin asked. “After all, there are more of them than there are of us.”

“A good question.” Louis replied. “One that needs to be broken down into a few simple parts.”

He cleared his throat and then continued. “Firstly, we have a much superior army to anyone else in Europe. That means we can fight on multiple fronts. Of course, there are limits to how long we can fight for, therefore it is important that we recognise what our objectives are from the beginning.”

“Once that has been recognised, we must seek out allies. In the past, Bavaria would have been a natural ally, but their closeness to Spain means that they are unlikely to betray them, therefore we must look elsewhere.” Louis said. “On that front there are other possible states that could be considered. Wurttemberg has increasingly expressed a policy independent from Vienna and as such could be willing to work with us in this regard. Another is Prussia, yes they are potentially tied to the British, but they also need allies against the ambitions of both Sweden and Vienna. We would recommend allying with them and promising to renew the financing of their armies that our grandfather, your great-grandfather gave them.”

Louis saw both his sons sit up at that, Prussia’s army was steadily improving, even if it hadn’t yet reached the heights that Louis knew it could. “Thirdly, we must recognise that our navy is not yet at the stage where it can openly challenge Britannia’s navy for a long period of time. Therefore, we will need to avoid as many naval engagements as possible.”

“Would that not simply serve to demoralise the navy though?” The Dauphin asked.

“It may, or it may give them the time they need to improve the ships.” Louis said, the slow progress that the ship building had taken did not please him at all.

“Finally,” Louis continued. “we must realise that a long war is not within our interests. The burden of taxation that would be required for such a war would fall unnecessairily on the peasantry and the merchant class, and as such must be avoided if possible. However, that does not mean we abandon attempts to bring change.” With that Louis took a sip of wine, then continued. “We must ascertain the ability of our administrators to enforce a tax on the nobility.”

This had been a plan of his for many years, he’d only very slowly started implanting it after the last war, and so far, there had been a positive response, but the gains from it weren’t coming in quick enough.

The Dauphin spoke then. “Do you not think they will resist?”

“They will, but they must be reminded of where they get their authority from.” Louis said.

“And of course, if the Parlements are completely abolished then their chances of opposing any taxation reforms is significantly reduced.” The Dauphin said.

“Exactly, of course, there needs to be a build up to the abolishment of the Parlements. It cannot happen in one fell swoop.” Louis said. “We all know what the nobility is like.”

“So, what would you recommend?” The Dauphin asked.

“Perhaps start off with the smaller Parlements?” Louis’ second son, the Duke of Anjou said. “Remove those Parlements, see what the response is and if it is neutral or positive, go from there.”

Louis smiled. “Exactly.” His sons weren’t so foolish after all, it seemed age had improved them.

Abolishing Parialements is probably not going to have a effect the French Kings might actually like one thinks...
Depending on the Parlements, it could cause discontent. Maybe not with the smaller ones, but more important ones risk reacting differently.

VVD0D95

Banned
Depending on the Parlements, it could cause discontent. Maybe not with the smaller ones, but more important ones risk reacting differently.

This is v ery true, though of course, if Louis XVI, or his son XVII abolished the Parlement of Paris and never recalled it, would people riot?

This is v ery true, though of course, if Louis XVI, or his son XVII abolished the Parlement of Paris and never recalled it, would people riot?
I'm not sure. Actually, I was more thinking of the provinces, some wouldn't like to have their Parlements - and so their customs and privileges - abolished. With Paris it could be different of course.

Chapter 289: In The Navy

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 289: In The Navy

October, 1747

George, Duke of Gloucester and Lord High Admiral looked around the room and noted that he’d need to make some changes to the wallpaper and to some of the paintings. Admiralty House just off of the Palace of Whitehall had started to grow slightly stale in the years since the last war, and whilst George appreciated the need to keep costs down during peace, he couldn’t afford the symbolism to grow too pronounced. He made a note to speak with the King after this meeting and then cleared his throat.

“Gentlemen, thank you all for coming. In recent months, it has been brought to my attention that there are some things that we as the Board of Admiralty need to discuss, and therefore, I feel we should start with the most pressing issue. Are our ships capable of fighting a prolonged naval war?”

It seemed like an odd question to ask, especially as they were the premier naval power in Europe, but still, things were changing and they had to keep on top of them.

His deputy, Vice Admiral of Britannia, Charles Beauclerk, Duke of St Albans spoke then. “In terms of the quality of our ships? Yes, Your Royal Highness. We’ve got fifty first rate ships of the line currently operational, eighty second rate ships of the line and ninety third rate ships of the line. Alongside the fourth and fifth rate ships of the line and countless unrated vessels that are equipped for war.”

George nodded, that was encouraging, it was generally considered a safe bet that if you had more than thirty first rate ships of the line, you’d be able to sustain yourself for a naval campaign of longer than a year. “And in terms of mobility, how soon could we get those ships out to the colonies?” He knew they had perhaps ten ships of the line out in the New World just now, alongside merchant vessels, and he was also aware that future naval engagements were likely to take place in the northern part of the New World as both Britannia and France vied for supremacy there.

“I would say perhaps two to three months at most.” The Vice Admiral said.

“Would that be enough time to counter any French manoeuvring though?” Was the question that George Anson, Vice Admiral of the Blue and Chief of Naval Personnel asked. “After all, we know that the French have begun a rapid programme of construction.”

George nodded, Anson raised a valid point. He looked at St Albans who smiled and replied. “The French are busy building first rate ships of the line, which are by their very nature slower and less easy to manoeuvre through the waters of the Atlantic. We would need to deploy third and fourth rate ships of the line to the New World to comfortably deal with them.”

“Assuming of course that the French dispatch these first-rate ships to the New World.” George said. “The chatter is all that they are focused on the Mediterranean and the Channel.”

“Of course, Your Royal Highness.” St Albans replied.

“That is good to know.” Anson said, but then he added. “That doesn’t mean that we will find the numbers to bolster the crews on existing ships, or on new ships that are coming off the line.”

George raised an eyebrow at that and asked. “What makes you say so?”

“We are at peace now; the signs of a war are not there. His Majesty the King is focusing on domestic issues, hence why expenditure is down, as Your Royal Highness has said before. Unless we can suddenly get an increase in expenditure, our ability to convince the people of the need to join the Navy goes down.” Anson said.

George bit back a sigh. He knew Anson was right, even if he didn’t want to admit it, so instead he simply said. “I shall speak with His Majesty and let him know our concerns.”

There was a brief pause, as George considered bringing up the actual reason he’d summoned the Board, not to discuss the strategies but to mention his forthcoming retirement. He was tired and he wanted his cousin St Albans to get a chance at ruling the roost before he too had to retire. But something prevented him from doing so, and so, instead he simply said. “Unless there is anything else, gentlemen, I think we are done for now.”

He saw a look pass over St Albans face but ignored it, as the others murmured that they didn’t have anything more to say, he waved a hand, signalling that they were dismissed. They got up and left, apart from St Albans who stood by the door looking at him. “You didn’t do it.”

George looked at him and sighed. “I know.”

“Why?”

“I…I do not know. I think I need to speak to the King first before I do anything else.” George replied truthfully.

St Albans sighed and said. “Fine, but do not take too long. Or before you know it Rowley or Anson will be demanding your job.”

“I know.” George replied, nodding as Albans walked out.

Does the Navy not have shipyards in the New World?

Would have thought naval bases all along the coasts and rivers would be a thing and thus Yards using the New World's copious lumber...

VVD0D95

Banned
Does the Navy not have shipyards in the New World?

Would have thought naval bases all along the coasts and rivers would be a thing and thus Yards using the New World's copious lumber...
In Jamaica, and Antigua they've got dockyards, but for the big works in the new world? Not on a big scale.