A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

Might work, unless the Brits have already promised the Wabanaki Confederacy something?

Maybe the Brits have made a treaty with the natives they might honour (this time!) regarding land use and expansion space- a native ‘colony‘ ala Rhode Island with boundaries and such?

Anyone moving into that space knows they have changed ‘state’ like in the original 13? Or is this too unlikely in 1745 thinking re natives?

Still if they tried it and it worked it would be something new!

VVD0D95

Banned
Might work, unless the Brits have already promised the Wabanaki Confederacy something?

Maybe the Brits have made a treaty with the natives they might honour (this time!) regarding land use and expansion space- a native ‘colony‘ ala Rhode Island with boundaries and such?

Anyone moving into that space knows they have changed ‘state’ like in the original 13? Or is this too unlikely in 1745 thinking re natives?

Still if they tried it and it worked it would be something new!

All I say is right now, the Brits are moving into Ohio Country and whoever stands in their way, may not get such a good deal....which will come back to bite them in the arse in a few hundred years.

Chapter 281: It's A Hit

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 281: It’s A Hit

June, 1745

Peter sat down with a sigh. Another long meeting, another discussion where he felt he wasn’t being heard. His father considered him a fool, of that he was sure, and even though the old man was slowly dying, he refused to give up even an inch of power. It was frustrating to say the least.

He looked at his cousin Leopold, who had attended the council meeting and said. “We’re going to be marching off into an endless war.”

Leopold raised an eyebrow. “You think so?”

“I know so.” Peter said. “The areas which the Tsar’s generals and ministers want us to fight in are dead zones. We will be like hens in a fox house.”

“So, why is the Tsar agreeing to it?” His cousin asked.

Peter sighed. “No doubt he wants to take what he thinks is rightfully his. And truth be told were it to be something that was done on our own initiative I’d agree with him, but I think the fact that the Ottomans are offering us the Caucauses in return for assistance in this war smacks of something else.”

“You think they will use this ploy against us later?” Leopold asked.

“I do not think, I know.” Peter said. “We both know how cunning the Sultan is. It would not surprise me if he ends up keeping an account of how much we took to his offer.”

“So, what would you do?” Leopold asked.

Pete sighed. “I do not know, but I do know that I wouldn’t get involved in this war. Not with the Ottomans wanting Mesopotamia, the Indians taking the land west of the Kabul Kandahar corridor and a bunch of other tribesmen all wanting their part of the pie.”

“Why didn’t you say anything in the council meeting then?” Leopold asked.

Peter raised an eyebrow. “What would I have said? You know the Tsar doesn’t listen to me.”

“No, but others might have. You are the Tsarevich after all. Your voice carries weight.” Leopold said.

Peter was about to reply when there was a knock on the door. “Enter.” He called, the door opened and he found his brother in law standing there. “What is it?” He asked.

“It’s the Tsar, Sir.” His brother in law said.

“What about him?” Peter demanded.

“He’s dead.” His brother in law said.

“Dead?” Peter exclaimed, that couldn’t be possible he’d seen the Tsar a few minutes ago, how could he be dead?

“He suffered a heart attack, Sir.” His brother in law said.

Peter sighed, a crushing weight now pressing against him. “Very well, I am coming.” He would need to see the body himself and then deal with everything else.

Chapter 282: Decline

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 282: Decline

October, 1745

“So, what you’re telling me is that the Ottomans managed to push back our army at the Lake. The same army that was able to defeat them a month ago?” Tahmsap asked.

“Yes, Sire.” Rajab Ali Khan his Grand Vizier said.

“How?” Tahmsap demanded.

“Luck, Sire.” Khan replied.

“Luck?” Tahmsap said. “I do not think it was luck that ensured they knew where our men would be or how to outdo them. No, I think there was something else at play there.”

“Sire?” Khan asked sounding worried.

“I think there is a traitor in the army.” Tahmsap said.

“Sire?” Khan replied.

“Think about it Rajab!” Tahmsap snapped. “Nader Afshar has betrayed us. He has sided with the Indians; it would not be too much of a stretch to believe that he has given information about how the army works to the Ottomans. After all he was the one who had ensured they were trained in the manner.” He had never liked Afshar seeing him as an opportunistic tribesman who lacked the refinery needed to be a good commander.

“But how would they get that information to the Ottomans, Sire?” Rajab asked. “We stand between them and the Ottomans.”

“Through the sea.” Tahmsap said. “There are ports in India that can bypass anything we could possible hope to achieve.”

Khan sighed. “This is true.”

“So, then the answer is simple, we must stop Afshar and his Indian supporters before they are able to pass more information over to the Ottomans.” Tahmsap said. “We must find them in the hills and mountains and we must destroy them.”

“I will ensure that the commanders know this, Sire.” Rajab said.

“Ensure that nobody but those who you trust are aware of the information.” Tahmsap said.

“Of course, Sire.” Rajab replied.

Another thought came to him then. “How much longer can we keep fighting on two fronts?”

“Another year, Sire.” Rajab replied.

“Those are figures that you are certain of?” Tahmsap asked.

“Yes, Sire.” Rajab replied.

“Very well, go, tell who you need to tell.” Tahmsap said waving a hand to dismiss the man.

I don't really understand the changes to OTL in the Indian posts due to my lack of knowledge, but I do know fighting on 2 fronts is usually bad idea...

VVD0D95

Banned
I don't really understand the changes to OTL in the Indian posts due to my lack of knowledge, but I do know fighting on 2 fronts is usually bad idea...
Essentially the Mughals were overthrown by a local dynasty the Marathas who now rule India in a much more stable manner

Chapter 283: Prussia

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 283: Prussia

January, 1746

Karl Wilhelm, Minister of State to King Frederick of Prussia looked at his master and when the man nodded, he spoke. “Sire, there have been some positive developments in the dispute with Poland.”

The King looked at him and said. “Continue.”

“It appears that the King of Poland is willing to allow some of the subjects that he considers to be disreputable to move into Prussia in exchange for some small trading concessions.” Karl said.

“And what would those concessions be?” The King asked.

“A lowering of the annual tariff from eight percent to five percent.” Karl Wilhelm said.

“Is that a reduction that we can afford?” The King asked.

“Yes, Sire. With revenues from taxation increasing year on year, we should be able to make up the difference.” Karl Wilhelm said.

“Should or will?” The King asked.

“Will.” Karl Wilhelm replied.

“Very well.” The King said. “And what about our proposal regarding Sweden?”

“As regards Sweden, they were a bit more cautious, especially given the renewal of the Britannic Swedish alliance.” Karl Wilhelm said.

“We see.” The King replied. “Very well, we shall simply need to approach the Emperor in that regard then. We are sure he would prefer it if Pomerania was under the control of a state of the Empire and not a foreign state.”

“Of course, Sire.” Karl Wilhelm said. “Though that does risk alienating France.”

The King snorted. “France? The state that has lost the last war to Britannia on the waves and only about managed to deliver something other than complete defeat in the field through a chance peace agreement?”

“Yes, Sire.” Karl Wilhelm said. “France has slowly started redeveloping her navy and remains the dominant military power on land. I think it would be a grave mistake to try and antagonise them now.”

“So, what do you suggest instead?” The King asked. “After all, we both know that it won’t be long before another war starts in Europe.”

“I would recommend slowly retraining the army, Sire.” Karl Wilhelm said. “There are some techniques which I know the French and the British are using, it would be good to implement them. Build up the financial capital within the Kingdom to ensure that we are not reliant on French subsidies, so either way when war does come, we can operate as a free Kingdom.”

The King considered this and then sighed. “You are right of course. Very well.”

There was a brief silence as the King seemed to contemplate something, eventually he said. “We know our son Frederick is young, but we wish to see who he might be betrothed to to strengthen our alliances either within the Empire or without it.”

“There is Princess Elisabeth of Britannia, Sire. She is of a similar age to the Crown Prince and it would not hurt to have ties to Britannia.” Karl Wilhelm said.

“And is there anyone else? We know of the Princess, but we do not wish to be tied too closely to the British.” The King said.

“There is of course, a Princess of Hanover also, or a Princess of Saxony who could help as well.” Karl Wilhelm suggested.

“Approach Dresden.” The King said. “We shall see what they have to say.”

Karl Wilhelm bowed. “Of course, Sire.”

Missed opportunity there, Princess Elisabeth would have been a good catch!

Would Prussia consider a Russia Princess?

What's going on across North Africa at this time?

VVD0D95

Banned
Missed opportunity there, Princess Elisabeth would have been a good catch!

Would Prussia consider a Russia Princess?

What's going on across North Africa at this time?

Oh I wouldn't count the British out just yet in that marriage game.

And I'm not sure, religion might be a big issue, plus lack of suitable Princesses.

And I'm not sure, religion might be a big issue, plus lack of suitable Princesses.
Plus that would be a second cousin marriage (Friedrich II is married to 1st cousin of Peter II, a Couronian princess). Though second cousin match with half-sibling descent from common ancestor was OK as far as Orthodox Church requirements go.
But as for issue of Peter II... let's say, we have some plans.

VVD0D95

Banned
Plus that would be a second cousin marriage (Friedrich II is married to 1st cousin of Peter II, a Couronian princess). Though second cousin match with half-sibling descent from common ancestor was OK as far as Orthodox Church requirements go.

Yes indeed ;)

Only first cousins match are not OK for Orthodox Church (but that prohibition was hardly an impediment if the Zar wanted some matches or was amenable to an exceptio)

That said, Russian court is up to a major family drama soon (those who saw tables may have this spoiled), which would be lamented by TTL althistorians as the cause of "major crisis leading to male line Romanovs losing Russian throne").

Chapter 284: Old Man

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 284: Old Man

May, 1746

He was dying, Felipe knew that. He had known that for some time. It was incredibly hard for him to breathe, and whenever he walked down a flight of stairs in the Palace he was always short of breath. Some part of him wanted it to be over quickly, and another part of him was terrified of it ending too quickly. He had lived a long life, and he had achieved much, but he knew his time was coming to an end.

To that extent he looked at his heir Ferdinand, the man who shared so much of Felipe’s characteristics sometimes it physically hurt to look at him, and said. “We must know what the Spanish are doing.”

“They have been gathering a small presence on Sicily, Sire.” Ferdinand replied. “It seems they took the news of both our illnesses as a sign that something might happen.”

Their illnesses, whatever they had been had hit them and kept them both bedridden for a very long time, before slowly they had recovered. “And?”

“And as of now nothing yet has happened for them. The Sicilians are not in the mood to attack Naples right now.” Ferdinand said.

Felipe exhaled, feeling the rattle rather than hearing it. “Good. We cannot let them get too comfortable there.”

“What would you suggest, Sire?” Ferdinand asked.

“That we must start preparing the fleet in case the Spanish send more resources from their Kingdom. We must also start communicating with Versailles more and working together to prevent Spain from crossing a line it cannot come back from.” Felipe said.

“Do you think the King of France will agree to that?” Ferdinand asked. “He has been seeking to reach an agreement with Spain for some time now.”

“We are sure of it.” Felipe said. “Louis may want an agreement with Spain but he respects the family compact more.” Of that Felipe was sure, they had been raised to value one another both anything else, and as such Felipe was determined to remind his brother of that.

Ferdinand bowed his head in acceptance. “Very well, Sire, shall I draft the letter?”

“No,” Felipe replied shaking his head. “We shall do it.” There was a brief pause and then Felipe asked. “And what of the economy?” He had introduced several new measures a few years ago to try and stabilise things within the Kingdom, whether they had actually succeeded or not he didn’t really know, Ferdinand was the one who kept a close eye on the books.

“The economy is finally balancing out, Sire.” His son said. “People have more money to spend than they did five years ago.”

“Good.” Felipe said. “That will ensure that Louis cannot claim we are being irresponsible.” His brother was obsessed with financial matters sometimes to the detriment of all else.

There was a brief pause and then Felipe said. “Send word to Carlo.”

“Carlo?” Ferdinand asked.

“Yes, he must be prepared for any action the Spanish or the Austrians take. We do not know when they will take it, but they will take action.” Felipe said. His son said nothing, but nodded all the same.

So the seeds of another War where sown?

Not necessarily, taking a look at the post from the Spanish perspective "Chapter 279: A Spanish Lesson" , it mentions preparations for war in case both the Neapolitan King and Heir died of illness as that would leave the Duke of Parma in charge.

However reading this post here, although the King may not survive, based on these lines:

To that extent he looked at his heir Ferdinand, the man who shared so much of Felipe’s characteristics sometimes it physically hurt to look at him, and said. “We must know what the Spanish are doing.”

“They have been gathering a small presence on Sicily, Sire.” Ferdinand replied. “It seems they took the news of both our illnesses as a sign that something might happen.”

Their illnesses, whatever they had been had hit them and kept them both bedridden for a very long time, before slowly they had recovered. “And?”

“And as of now nothing yet has happened for them. The Sicilians are not in the mood to attack Naples right now.” Ferdinand said.

I did take this to imply that Ferdinand, the heir has recovered to an extent that he is not in danger anymore. Unless the 'they' being discussed was the King and his Godly side as monarchs use 'we' rather than 'I' to give orders. If the heir has recovered and stays alive, then for now war is averted unless someone does something rash.

Meanwhile, while there could be a war if Ferdinand drops dead, that he has survived might mean the Duke of Parma could die before him or that Ferdinand cold sire an heir. While it does not mean the prescience of war is entirely gone. It does mean there will not be a war in Naples right now.