A Brave New World: An Anglo/American – Nazi War Aftermath

Or will they pull both Taiwan and South Korea since Taiwan was still part of China but the cabal as it was in the original either will or not run the KMT China and of course, there will be a vast refugee crisis happening across the shores of the Atlantic where refugees from Europe has swarmed into North America, the United Kingdom, and Latin America but don't forget that Australia, New Zealand, and the Philippines will be the most candidate to take refugees from Europe.

The Philippines already took Jews from Europe in 1939.

In OTL, the Philippines also took White Russians, Chinese, Vietnamese/Hmong/Lao boat people, and East Timorese refugees. The same thing can happen ehre.
Speaking of refugee waves, will Southern Africa try to attract White settlers?

Ok, I've decided to try something new. I'm going to start every chapter with music to try and catch the mood of the update. I've edited Chapter 1 to start with "Over the Edge" by the Kinks.

The next chapter may take a while since I'm focusing on the next chapter for my other timeline "War Makes for Strange Bedfellows", but the next update for this timeline will come after that.

Ok, I've decided to try something new. I'm going to start every chapter with music to try and catch the mood of the update. I've edited Chapter 1 to start with "Over the Edge" by the Kinks.

The next chapter may take a while since I'm focusing on the next chapter for my other timeline "War Makes for Strange Bedfellows", but the next update for this timeline will come after that.
Perhaps Muzak, Easy Listening, or Traditional Pop can set the mood.

Chapter 2 – Last Man Standing
Chapter 2 – Last Man Standing
World Overview (1)

United States of America

In 1939, the world had seven great powers [1]. By 1960, India had been added to the list whilst all others besides Britain and America had either been demoted or outright destroyed as functioning states. Of the three remaining great powers of Great Britain, the United States and India, only the latter two could project power globally in their own right. Of those two, only America was part of the Western world. Over 20 years of war had left the United States of America as the last man standing among the western great powers. This was the undeniable truth by the time the Nuremberg garrison surrendered (well, almost all of it anyway).

The Americans had weathered the storm of war better than much of Europe. In just over 20 years, 800,000 Americans (military and civilian) had died of war-related causes [2]. Whilst the largest death toll in American military history, it was less than French casualties in the 4-year long First World War and less than total British and Commonwealth combined casualty figures.

Those 20 years had an immense impact impact upon American culture and the American psyche. The nation that in September 1939 had urged restraint had also been the one to devise the "Oxcart Directive". Those once considered innocent civilians had become little more than "collateral damage" in military eyes. On the other hand, the "Burn it All" attitude as expressed in the 1959 directive had been the product of many long and hard years of war and had resisted for several months at the behest of President Kennedy, himself guilt-ridden over the fate of Japan in 1945-46.

1674412482083.png

Joseph P. Kennedy Jr., 34th President of the United States [3]

Other aspects of American cultural shifts were far from as brutal as "Shermanite" [4] tactics employed in the end stages of the Pacific and European theatres. Desegregation of the Armed Forces had been undertaken in 1948 shortly after the end of the Pacific War and segregation finally outlawed nationwide with the largely bipartisan Civil Rights Act of 1952 [5]. Tensions over the bill's implementation with Southern governors were finally put to rest with the St. Patrick's Day Raids just under two years later.

One other cultural biproduct of the Warm War was a large standing army kept semi-mobilised within America. These soldiers found it hard to find work in the event that they would be called back to the front. This wasn't enough to prevent a reasonable-sized baby boom between 1947 and 1950, largely driven by Pacific veterans. By then, millions of women had entered the workforce with as much as 70% of the workforce in the aviation industry being female [6]. For those with soldier husbands, an arrangement was made in millions of American households where the husband would remain at home to look after the kids while the wife went to work in the factory or (less commonly) shipyard. "Home Front Service" or "The Kitchen Campaign" as it became affectionately and sometimes sarcastically known became a staple of early 50s American culture, forcing the American people into the world of the Stay-at-home Father.

Over 3 million American soldiers were based in Europe on V-E Day, as part of four huge army groups. There job was far from enviable, having to deal with insurgencies across Germany, France and Poland staged by "Werewolf" militants, Waffen-SS remnants and other Nazi and Fascist guerrillas such as the French Milice-I [7].

1674432848014.png

3rd Infantry Divisions in of Kraków, September 1959
The remnants of the former Polish capital were destroyed by Waffen-SS units of the Dirlewagner Brigade
The destroyed areas were the areas used to house Polish slave labourers, the Razing of Kraków was finally suppressed by the US Army by August 5th [8]

Domestically, this was election year. President Kennedy's second term was in the cards. The impending return to a peacetime economy awaited the American people dizzy on victory juice. The old New Deal Coalition was fragile, some said on the verge of splitting, despite its loyalty to the person of President Joseph P. Kennedy.

At home. Abroad. Things were going to get interesting.

Welcome to the new world America.

Footnotes
- [1] United Kingdom, France, Germany, Japan, United States, Soviet Russia & Italy. In no particular order.
- [2] As stated by CalBear.
- [3] CalBear said HERE that Truman served three terms, meaning Kennedy would be elected in 1956. I hope I got this right.
- [4] I term I invented myself to cover the end stages of TTL's Pacific and European wars, name derived from General William T. Sherman and his tactics in Georgia. I believed it fits well with the American context.
- [5] CalBear mentioned that progress on civil rights is far faster than its OTL speed with the 1950s rather like OTL's 1970s. I did some mental maths and guessed this world's Civil Rights Act would be passed sometime late in the Warm War, near to the upcoming Presidential election.
- [6] Wikipedia says that 65% of aviation industry workers were women by 1943, I just levelled it up due to the longer war and greater army sent to Europe in the 50s.
- [7] I will cover this more in future updates.
- [8] A little story I made up myself to make you all cry a bit more.

Sources

Last edited:
At least it will be even more egalitarian than the OTL postwar world.

I know this message is three months old now but thanks for providing these sources.

I can see how persistent you are at trying to get a response to it. I’m sure they’ll be useful.

BurkeanLibCon

I don’t think it was ever mentioned in the original TL but in light of Krakow’s razing what happened to Dirlewanger himself ITTL? IOTL he died in custody after being captured and is suspected to have been beaten to death by Polish guards.

Regarding generations, I can see the generation born from 1940-1960 being called "The Wartime Generation" and those from 1960-1985 being called "The Atomic Agers" (named after the hegemony of the Atomic Four).

Of the three remaining great powers of Great Britain, the United States and India, only the latter two could project power globally in their own right. Of those two, only America was part of the Western world.
I feel like I have to question this bit, I'm sure it'll be expanded upon later but I can't see how Britain couldn't globally project power in 1960 after the AANW on its own. Cal mentions the RN got the Lions and the Malta classes and continued building up naval strength during the warm war (and while I do have some issues with the lack of inclusion of the RN in the original story especially with the death of the kreigsmarine in the north sea being an almost exclusively american affair...). And seeing how the A4 basically enforces peace at the point of a sword I find the idea there would be a lack of political will to project power to be a bit baseless.

If its more like "Britain couldn't do whatever it wanted or else America would pull a suez currency threat on them" then I don't see how India cant also be threatened into submission with nukes and thus also be unable to "project power in their own right"

Otherwise good chapter. Keep it up!

Last edited:
I don’t think it was ever mentioned in the original TL but in light of Krakow’s razing what happened to Dirlewanger himself ITTL? IOTL he died in custody after being captured and is suspected to have been beaten to death by Polish guards.
You’re right, the Razing of Krakow was my own creation. Direlewagner himself, well I haven’t decided on the amount of mercy that scumbag deserves in death.

I feel like I have to question this bit, I'm sure it'll be expanded upon later but I can't see how Britain couldn't globally project power in 1960 after the AANW on its own. Cal mentions the RN got the Lions and the Malta classes and continued building up naval strength during the warm war (and while I do have some issues with the lack of inclusion of the RN in the original story especially with the death of the kreigsmarine in the north sea being an almost exclusively american affair...).
Perfectly reasonable objection. What I meant was that Britain is able to project power as of 1960 - but not without help. I mentioned that only America and India could do it on their own. Britain is very much under America’s umbrella.

And seeing how the A4 basically enforces peace at the point of a sword I find the idea there would be a lack of political will to project power to be a bit baseless.
The A4 nations won’t be THAT punitive here (i.e. no space rocks). Conventional - especially naval, given Anglo-American sea power - plus nuclear will play a greater role. This isn’t a more detailed version of CalBear’s post-war canon, but my own take on things.

I don't see how India cant also be threatened into submission with nukes and thus also be unable to "project power in their own right"
India and the Anglo-Americans are still on good terms here as of 1960.
Also, power projection isn’t just hard power, as much of it is informal (diplomatic, financial, information) as it is gunboat-based.

Otherwise good chapter. Keep it up!
Thank you.

What I meant was that Britain is able to project power as of 1960 - but not without help.
This is the part I'm disagreeing with though. What help does Britain need in 1960 in projecting power that India doesn't? It doesn't lack for ships, or planes, or nukes, or bases/territories around the world. Even today Britain is one of three nations that can project power world-wide, I can't see how that ability would have been lost despite being on total war footing for two decades straight.

Sure its army would likely be smaller than the US and India (unless you include commonwealth forces) but as a certain conflict is showing us in real time having lots of warm bodies doesn't equal greater strength or ability to project power

But as you say this is an AU of AANW I will reserve further judgement until you cover it in more detail.