Like but for one thing. A 1535-6 PoD could easily butterfly James the 5th's death leading to a son circa 1542-3 which means Mary Stuart would have a less eventful life.
Can happen or not… Things like that can always change from a tree to a more developed scenario…

I think that's I will do.
Because, if you think papacy and English Catholics will support Anglican kings who persecute Catholics, I actually see nothing more to say.
As I do not remember the Catholic church EVER officially naming Mary Stuart as legitimate Queen of England or she trying to invade England for claiming that crown in OTL, when Elizabeth’s status was clearly the one of an illegitimate daughter of Henry VIII, who had rights on the Crown only for her father’s will, I can not see Henry VIII worried for Mary Stuart‘s shaky claim to the English crown (as England’s laws and costumes were against the succession to the Crown of foreigners) at the point to need absolutely to marry her to his heir when he has spares to offer for her and Scotland would be interested in one of them as King Consort.

Elizabeth and her rule were accepted by the majority of the English Catholics, so I can not see for what reason a brother of Elizabeth, seen by everyone as legitimate and likely ruling an England still under an Henrician church (who was basically a Catholic one without Papal supremacy and with English bible and mass) would need to worry who his younger brother would try to invade England saying who he and his siblings are bastards without any right to the Crown and who his Scottish wife is the legitimate Queen of England instead of remaining in Scotland as King Consort.

1. b) Elizabeth (b. 1533) married Philip II, King of Spain (b. 1527) in 1549
Would Philip marry a notorious heretic's daughter? Would very Protestant Queen Anne accept the marriage of her daughter to a fanatical Catholic?
  1. b) Henry IX, King of England (b. 1536) married Eleanor of Austria (b. 1534)
Would the Emperor (and the Pope) send a Princess to a heretic realm?
NOTES: Mary Stuart for the third son instead of one of the older boys can look strange but Henry here, with available spares, do not need absolutely to marry Mary to his heir AND Scotland like better the youngest boy as King Consort for reducing the chances of an union with England.
Excellent point. No "Rough Wooing"? Then MQoS is raised Protestant.

Last edited:
Would Philip marry a notorious heretic's daughter? Would very Protestant Queen Anne accept the marriage of her daughter to a fanatical Catholic?

And no way is Anne accepting her daughter's marriage to ANY of Katherine of Aragon's relatives...especially as it serves zero purpose, since Henry broke with Rome to marry her...

Under Henry VIII the English Church was practically a Catholic Church who do not recognize the Pope and with English mass and bible…
Anne would have little to no agency in that and Habsburg matches were in cards since Catherine‘s death as England was again shifting to an alliance with Spain
I think who at this point the Pope would have learned to not anger the Habsburgs…
No way, she will be raised Catholic by her mother and her husband-to-be will be sent in Scotland.
And no way is Anne accepting her daughter's marriage to ANY of Katherine of Aragon's relatives...especially as it serves zero purpose, since Henry broke with Rome to marry her...
Anne will accept as that would be a win for her, plus Charles V recognized her as Queen of England as soon Catherine was dead. And political alliance existed and matches between Elizabeth and Philip or Joanna of Spain and Edward VI were seriously taken in consideration by Charles V and Henry VIII.

Last edited:
Under Henry VIII the English Church was practically a Catholic Church who do not recognize the Pope and with English mass and bible…
Anne would have little to no agency in that and Habsburg matches were in cards since Catherine‘s death as England was again shifting to an alliance with Spain
I think who at this point the Pope would have learned to not anger the Habsburgs…

No way, she will be raised Catholic by her mother and her husband-to-be will be sent in Scotland.

Anne will accept as that would be a win for her, plus Charles V recognized her as Queen of England as soon Catherine was dead. And political alliance existed and matches between Elizabeth and Philip or Joanna of Spain and Edward VI were seriously taken in consideration by Charles V and Henry VIII.
Who exactly will MQOS marry for him to be shipped to Scotland?
And why would it be a win for Anne?? She and Henry did their absolute best to CUT TIES with the Habsburg/Trastamara dynasty that Katherine represented.

Who exactly will MQOS marry for him to be shipped to Scotland?
William Tudor, Duke of Richmond who is Henry VIII’ s THIRD son and will be King Consort of Scotland
And why would it be a win for Anne?? She and Henry did their absolute best to CUT TIES with the Habsburg/Trastamara dynasty that Katherine represented.
Absolutely FALSE. England was AGAIN allied with Spain after the death of Catherine of Aragon

Anne getting the Hapsburgs, and by extension the Catholic political powers across Europe, to not only recognise the legitimacy of her marriage but the political importance of her children via an alliance between the only son of her political rival and the daughter she gave birth to during the lifetime of Catherine of Aragon is admittance that she was right. Remember, Anne was a reformist, not a full on Protestant, and while she and Henry would up splitting from the Church, it was never the main plan. It was simply the only way in. A double Hapsburg match for her two eldest children means no one will ever call her queenship into question again.

I personally think that Elizabeth marrying Philip II of Spain is a interesting scenario but an unlikely one. Remember that there were numerous catholic marriage proposals for Henry VIII none of them were successful and before you would start talking about how potential brides did not want to marry a 50-year-old king who had his wife beheaded put in mind that Francis I of France was almost excommunicated for planning to arrange his son's marriage to a protestant princess. Also, Anne would never agree for her daughter marrying someone related to the Hapsburgs or Trastámara unless Henry VIII dies in 1547 making his 11-year-old-son King of England and if he was rebellious then he could try to farm an alliance with Charles V against Henry II of France. Elizabeth would probably had a protestant upbringing so she would be reluctent for the marriage unless there was a betrothal between her and Philip when they were kids so she could be raised as a Catholic. Put in mind that Germany had over 50 ruling familes most of whom were protestant and pretty rich so Henry VIII/IX might would want to marry his sisters to some Protestant princes and he could also marry a German princess. I agree with your opinion about Denmark-Norway and Sweden as excluding Germany they were one of few Protestant countries in Europe which could lead to an alliance being formed.

I personally think that Elizabeth marrying Philip II of Spain is a interesting scenario but an unlikely one. Remember that there were numerous catholic marriage proposals for Henry VIII none of them were successful and before you would start talking about how potential brides did not want to marry a 50-year-old king who had his wife beheaded put in mind that Francis I of France was almost excommunicated for planning to arrange his son's marriage to a protestant princess. Also, Anne would never agree for her daughter marrying someone related to the Hapsburgs or Trastámara unless Henry VIII dies in 1547 making his 11-year-old-son King of England and if he was rebellious then he could try to farm an alliance with Charles V against Henry II of France. Elizabeth would probably had a protestant upbringing so she would be reluctent for the marriage unless there was a betrothal between her and Philip when they were kids so she could be raised as a Catholic. Put in mind that Germany had over 50 ruling familes most of whom were protestant and pretty rich so Henry VIII/IX might would want to marry his sisters to some Protestant princes and he could also marry a German princess. I agree with your opinion about Denmark-Norway and Sweden as excluding Germany they were one of few Protestant countries in Europe which could lead to an alliance being formed.
Henry VIII’s Church was pretty much Catholic in worship and that would made Catholic matches far likelier for them respect to a truly Protestant nations. Henry stopped pretty early to listen his wives on the matter of political alliance and weddings of his children (Mary was engaged to the Dauphin of France and Catherine hated the French and wanted Mary to marry one of her relatives). At this point Henry was already going back to the Spanish alliance and the wedding between Philip and Elizabeth was proposed… While in OTL both Clements VII and Paul III excommunicated Henry VIII, neither will go so far to menace to excommunicate Charles V over an English match for his son or made the same manage to Charles or Ferdinand for a wedding between an Archduchess and the Prince of Wales/King of England…
Henry wanted prestigious matches and so would still search to marry his heir to an Habsburg girl, as England at this point would be allied with Spain (as Catherine’s death removed the last obstacle for the renewal of that alliance) and Anne, unlike what you think, would accept such matches because they secured her children succession (guaranteeing who Mary will NOT receive any foreign support). Sure Anne would have liked better French matches for her children, but they have none of the right age for them so…