A Blunted Sickle - Thread II

Archibald

Banned
That the French Army recruited Sartre alway startled me. He had exotropia, for God sake (as we say in French, un oeil qui dit merde à l'autre)
Every time I imagine Sartre with a gun, I'm reminded of that german soldier in La Grande Vadrouille, the one that shoot the Fieseler Storch at the end of the movie
(3:11 in the video)

la-grande-vadrouille-1542.jpg

err_3713_1.jpg

That the French Army recruited Sartre alway startled me. He had exotropia, for God sake (as we say in French, un oeil qui dit merde à l'autre)
Yes, but he was a meterologist. I don't know if the OTL US Military would have taken someone with exotropia for such a position, but it wouldn't surprise me.

On a more interesting point back to the Pope and the Jews.

From the Wikipedia article about the Lateran Treaty...

Violations
Italy's anti-Jewish laws of 1938 prohibited marriages between Jews and non-Jews, including Catholics. The Vatican viewed this as a violation of the Concordat, which gave the church the sole right to regulate marriages involving Catholics.[24] Article 34 of the Concordat had also specified that marriages performed by the Catholic Church would always be considered valid by civil authorities.[25] The Holy See understood this to apply to all Catholic Church marriages in Italy regardless of the faith of those being married.[25]

Might the Vatican push harder for removal of the prohibited marriages clause iTTL? Would the Jewish Community *want* it removed?

Yes, but he was a meterologist. I don't know if the OTL US Military would have taken someone with exotropia for such a position, but it wouldn't surprise me.

He is an Army meteorologist and a draftee so an un or semi skilled bloke, not much on what he did but one online bio has him deploying meterological equipment between 29 and 31. So he could just be toddling around on a pushbike taking readings or humping mobile weather stations behind the lines.

For that matter when they figure out who they drafted he could be teaching the Philosphical phenomenology of applied area bombardment.

TBH those with exotropia, or more colloquially a squint, are actually more than capable of being soldiers. I knew a Rifles Corporal who was a damned good infantry soldier and had exotropia, though he referred to it as "a dodgy eye".

Put it this way, when you're aiming your rifle, how many eyes do you use...

He gets drafted into the French nuclear weapons program. His mission is to teach the bomb phenomenology. He later writes about his experience in 'Etoile Noire'.
The idea of Sartre dealing with a bomb brings to mind the various situations in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy where Marvin talked to various machines involved in trying to kill our main characters (or otherwise) only to have the machines commit suicide.

The idea of Sartre dealing with a bomb brings to mind the various situations in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy where Marvin talked to various machines involved in trying to kill our main characters (or otherwise) only to have the machines commit suicide.

Not the Hitchhiker's Guide, this one ...

I wonder: How possible/practical would it be for the Germans to bomb/shell/sabotage the dikes in order to stop the British from draining the waterline? To me that sounds like a plausible method of stopping the offensive.

Or, if we're still quoting the Old Guard: "A French soldier dies but does NOT surrender."

Except of course, Cambronne , the man that is supposed to have said that (or the less lyrical alternative) DID personally surrender.

and far from being pulled out of a pile of wounded bleeding from many injuries was found alone in the rout

By midnight he was sitting outside Wellingtons bedroom, under guard because though he had given his parole
he had also made a break for it and had to be pulled down again.

Saphroneth

Banned
I wonder: How possible/practical would it be for the Germans to bomb/shell/sabotage the dikes in order to stop the British from draining the waterline? To me that sounds like a plausible method of stopping the offensive.
I think it'd be very hard to do that - simply because the Water Line is, as I understand it, pumped full/empty at this time.

Except of course, Cambronne , the man that is supposed to have said that (or the less lyrical alternative) DID personally surrender.

and far from being pulled out of a pile of wounded bleeding from many injuries was found alone in the rout

By midnight he was sitting outside Wellingtons bedroom, under guard because though he had given his parole
he had also made a break for it and had to be pulled down again.

Cambronne didn't "surrender" (at least voluntarily) to the British. There are several stories about him but all of them certified that he was wounded and unsconscious. "Waterloo demythifié" ( a 2014 french history book about the battle) gives the most likely hypothesis: the man was wounded by a bullet which damaged his temple: the wound by itself wasn't mortal but Cambronne passed out nonetheless. He was then captured by a Hanoverian battalion under the command of William Halkett.