A Blunted Sickle - Thread II

You mean, that corsican cheese ?

asterix_corse.jpg
Yes. That corsican cheese exactly.

With nukes - the Swedish A-bomb program was stopped by their own initiative, but in this type of scenario a nuclear-armed Union is more or less bound to happen.
See my earlier concerns on where a European power without "colonies" tests their bombs...

See my earlier concerns on where a European power without "colonies" tests their bombs...

In this case, in Finnish Lapland where there is essentially uninhabited space a plenty. The Union could also use a ship, like Fats suggests, maybe out in the Arctic Sea.

EDIT: dang, I've browsed "fromage dément corse" on google and this thing actually exists https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu

I wonder if anyone ever put together a buffet out of the most questionable dishes the EU has to offer, like casu marzu and surströmming, and then offered it to a visiting American gourmand as traditional European foods. It would be definitely worth it, IMO. And of course it would be extremely impolite not to at least try everything...

Artaxerxes

Banned
I think the table would melt...

Deep fried Mars bars or haggis for Scotland, Marmite for England I guess?

Last edited:
I think the table would melt...

Deep fried Mars bars ot haggis for Scotland, Marmite for England I guess?

Maybe some mämmi for Finland. The taste is not particularly objectionable (I actually like it, with liberal amounts of sugar and cream), but it looks rather funky.

Last edited:
In this case, in Finnish Lapland where there is essentially uninhabited space a plenty. The Union could also use a ship, like Fats suggests, maybe out in the Arctic Sea.

I wonder if anyone ever put together a buffet out of the most questionable dishes the EU has to offer, like casu marzu and surströmming, and then offered it to a visiting American gourmand as traditional European foods. It would be definitely worth it, IMO. And of course it would be extremely impolite not to at least try everything...
Now, now. I think this has a good chance of being forbidden by some kind of international convention due to being a biological weapons test.

Saphroneth

Banned
Hm, here's an interesting question... what's the view of battlecruisers TTL? Without Hood exploding in Denmark Strait I wonder if they'll be seen as fundamentally sound if a bit of a gamble, as all three of the BCs which exploded TTL were blown up during the same battle and due to turret-magazine flash.

In this case, in Finnish Lapland where there is essentially uninhabited space a plenty.
Uninhabited or habited only by Lapps?
Also, two other questions, if the first test is above ground (as most nation's were iOTL), A) would that be visible from the USSR? B) which way is downwind?

27th August 1941

Viscount Ōkōchi orders Dr Yoshio Nishina to investigate the possibility of Japan building nuclear weapons, and to report back through him to the Army Minister by the end of the year.

John Curtin is formally sworn in by the Governor General and receives the Letters Patent appointing him as the thirteenth Prime Minister of Australia. The appointment is the first that the public are aware of Menzies' resignation, and while there is some surprise at the unexpected resignation the general tone is one of pride, with many newspapers implying that Menzies will be Churchill's designated successor and deputy.

Skirmishing breaks out along the border between Ecuador and Peru after the breakdown of last-ditch talks mediated by Archbishop Fernando Cento, the Papal Nuncio to both countries. Both sides blame the other for starting the fighting – the Peruvians blame the conflict on Ecuadorian troops and armed civilians attacking a Peruvian police station in Aguas Verdes, while the Ecuadorians say the fighting started when they came across some Peruvian civilians clearing jungle on their side of the Zarumilla and were attacked by Peruvian police when they tried to evict them. Whatever the cause of the fighting, it rapidly grows over the course of the day soon involving the vast majority of the 13,000 Peruvian and 1,800 Ecuadorian troops in the region.

28th August 1941

The British Army places an order for 2,000 French Mle 37 MAC 9mm heavy machine guns to start replacing the Bren guns on their scout cars and on some of the smaller armoured cars. The weapon itself weighs only 45 lbs and is magazine-fed, looking rather like an overgrown Bren gun but despite this is capable of penetrating half an inch of armour at 200 yards – enough to go right through most German armoured cars.

Fighting intensifies along the Peruvian-Ecuadorian border, with the first dogfights between the Peruvian NA.50 and Ecuadorian CR.42 fighters taking place. The fighting in the air is in fact the only bright spot for Ecuador – on the ground they are badly outnumbered and have lost all the skirmishes to date with the Peruvians, although the Peruvians have completely failed to press their advantage afterwards.

The disappearance of Rudulf Hess is announced on Reichssender Berlin with the following statement:

Rudulf Hess has disappeared while piloting an aircraft from Munich to Hamburg. A letter which he left behind unfortunately shows by its distractedness traces of a mental disorder, and it is feared he was a victim of hallucinations. The Fuhrer at once ordered the arrest of the adjutants of party member Hess, who alone had any cognizance of these flights, and did not, contrary to the Fuhrer's orders, of which they were fully aware, either prevent or report the flight. In these circumstances, it must be considered that party member Hess either jumped out of his plane or has met with an accident.

It would not especially surprise me if the Brits gave aid (as in technical help) to the Union nuclear program for reasons of giving the Soviets a much more hefty speedbump on their NW frontier.
Possible but unlikely - if they do provide assistance it will be more in the nature of letting them take atmospheric samples after a test than a masterclass in how to build a nuclear bomb.

EDIT: dang, I've browsed "fromage dément corse" on google and this thing actually exists https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu
Apart from the magic potion Asterix was generally pretty good with using things that existed, even if they were a bit out of time.

Deep fried Mars bars or haggis for Scotland, Marmite for England I guess?
Oyster Stout for England. Nowhere else would think that grinding up raw shellfish and adding them to beer is a good idea, and indeed a few sips will demonstrate exactly why it isn't. Even after 8 pints of good stuff I couldn't finish a half of that :confounded:

Maybe some mämmi for Finland. The taste is not particularly objectionable (I actually like it, with liberal amounts of sugar and cream), but it looks rather funky.
I was thinking salmiakki would be a more likely candidate...

My parents honeymooned in the U.K forty years ago and my father did tried haggis. My mother still distinctly remember the aspect and smell of the thing.
For some inexplicable reason, my (American) wife loves the stuff, even makes Lasagna with it on occasion.

Hm, here's an interesting question... what's the view of battlecruisers TTL? Without Hood exploding in Denmark Strait I wonder if they'll be seen as fundamentally sound if a bit of a gamble, as all three of the BCs which exploded TTL were blown up during the same battle and due to turret-magazine flash.
I suspect the view at the time will be simply that battlecruisers and dreadnoughts were the predecessors of the modern fast battleship, and that both had flaws which needed correcting. Hood will probably be seen as the first of the fast battleships, and only professional naval types will be aware of her flaws.

Ah. Radio Caroline then...:D
What have you got against Frinton?

Uninhabited or habited only by Lapps?
For testing purposes, there isn't much of a difference - a small nomadic population are easy to move on, and if they don't vote easy to ignore.

Also, two other questions, if the first test is above ground (as most nation's were iOTL), A) would that be visible from the USSR? B) which way is downwind?
a) Probably not, depending on the exact site selected.
b) The prevailing winds are directly towards the USSR.

Something is happening in South America in a TL not focused entirely on South America! What is this madness?
A photograph of this cat inspired me to read a bit more, and it turns out that a number of European butterflies would have influenced it.
cat.jpg

Oyster Stout for England. Nowhere else would think that grinding up raw shellfish and adding them to beer is a good idea, and indeed a few sips will demonstrate exactly why it isn't. Even after 8 pints of good stuff I couldn't finish a half of that :confounded:

Which brings up the fact, Why is there not a world wide court against such crimes against beer.

Something is happening in South America in a TL not focused entirely on South America! What is this madness?

:p
And with Butterflies (if non-obvious ones) delaying the outbreak of the war from 5 July to 27 August. The question is whether the OTL Rio Protocol ending the war (signed in January 1942) will still occur if the US is not so anxious to have a united American continent since the US isn't in a war.

For testing purposes, there isn't much of a difference - a small nomadic population are easy to move on, and if they don't vote easy to ignore.

a) Probably not, depending on the exact site selected.
b) The prevailing winds are directly towards the USSR.
Ah, the Australia/Algeria Model. :)

So the USSR may find out simply through Geiger counters...

Figuring how long it takes the other powers to get Nukes after the the Entente will be interesting (and whether anyone else will be actively working on it without proof that it can be done.