A Blaze of Glory: An Alternate History Timeline of the NHL

Introduction
INTRODUCTION
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"If you had told people that the sport of hockey could catch on in the deep south back when the NHL made the decision to expand in '72, never mind be home to one of the most important and successful franchises in the league, most people would have thought you were beyond crazy. They would have told you they would probably gotten relocated at the first sign of trouble like the Scouts or had gone under like the Golden Seals did after two disastrous years in Cleveland. Especially given that the NHL only expanded to block out the WHA. If a team like the St. Louis Blues, which was once the southern most franchise in the NHL outside of California, were on the verge of being moved to Saskatoon then what hope did a team in Dixie have of lasting? There was no expectation that the Atlanta Flames could last as a hockey franchise without being moved to a place up north and the Calgary negotiations almost made that a done deal. It's why Flames fans, as well as many people in the league, will always be forever grateful for Ted Turner for saving the team and, in turn, growing the sport. Without Ted Turner, Atlanta would not be the hockey capital of the South." - Ed Snider, owner of the Philadelphia Flyers, From ESPN's 30 for 30 "Blaze of Glory"
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"One final note here tonight. I want to take time tonight in this Coach's Corner to tip my cap to Ted Turner for his recent induction US Hockey Hall of Fame for his contributions to hockey. I remember when I heard he stepped in to block the Flames moving to Calgary, and you were here Ron when I was a guest that night, being just absolutely livid. I thought that the league shouldn't have allowed him to block the team moving to Calgary at the 11th hour. Blocking a market in Canada that would have supported the team given their attendance woes. I thought Commissioner Ziegler was crazy for allowing this to happen under the table when it seemed that the deal was done, especially when he would go on to block the Blues moving to Saskatoon. All that said, for what Ted has been able to do for the Flames franchise and growing support for the sport down there I have to give the man his due for being willing to build a successful franchise in a non hockey market." - Don Cherry during a Hockey Night In Canada in 2009 before a Flames-Canadiens game.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"It's midnight on May 29th, 1989. We're live at the Omni Coliseum in Atlanta, Georgia. The Atlanta Flames and Los Angeles Kings are tied 2 to 2 in overtime in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup playoffs. Both teams have been competing in an absolute classic to finish one of the most exciting Stanley Cup Final series to send off the 1980s. If the Kings win, Wayne Gretzky further cements himself as the most dominant player in all of hockey and will have done so away from the Oilers dynasty of which he was a critical piece alongside Mark Messier, Grant Fuhr, Glenn Anderson and Paul Coffey. If the Flames win, the Omni will erupt in pandemonium as they will have brought the city its first pro sports championship and legitimize the sport of hockey in the South. What's about to come next will set the tone for how the league will be going into the beginning of the next decade and be a defining moment in the minds and memories of many hockey fans to come all on the back of one play that helps define it all. But how did we get to this point? How did one of the greatest players of all time leave a multi cup dynasty to join a team in LA? How did we manage to get into overtime with these two high scoring teams tied at two goals a piece? How did the city of Atlanta become a hotbed for hockey in the United States? To answer these questions, we need to rewind." - snippet from SB Nation's Rewinder episode "The Game Winning Goal in the 89 Finals between the Kings and Flames needs a deep rewind"
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited:
This is my first attempt at a timeline and I would appreciate any input as possible so it doesn't become ASB and that people can enjoy it as much as I will when trying to write this.

Edit: Inspiration for this timeline came from @Pellegrino's Dawg Pound Dynasty thread.

Last edited:
True...but there are many ways Seattle could get a team. 😁
The apple of discord was the county didn't want to sponsor a new arena, again they choose wisely, the safeco field was better...if just the sonics got a better owner(maybe Balmer got them? or mr gates itself?)

Chapter One
Chapter 1: Billionaire Ted Buys a Team

"The funny thing to me about all of this was I had been offered to also buy the Flames before in '77 when I purchased the Atlanta Hawks from Cousins and I turned him down. I remember thinking at the time, and it was foolish of me in retrospect, that there was no possible way to sell the sport to a television audience. The main things being that viewers had a tough time trying to see the puck, which is important as the audience needs to know who has possession, and I personally wasn't keen on the problem the NHL had at the time of bench clearing brawls that got out of control with a big sticking point being that Bruins-Rangers brawl where players from Boston went into the stands. We all thought in 2005 that the incident in Detroit between the Pistons and Pacers was absolutely ludicrous and yet that was almost the norm in the NHL then. Add in my personal bias at the time in favor of sports like baseball as well as pro wresling and that the Flames were constantly teetering to stay profitable, I just saw it as a money pit that wouldn't work. That all changed when I saw the sport live on March 15, 1980 and I never will forget that day. I remember that earlier in the day I was conducting meetings with organizers at the Omni discussing scheduling decisions for upcoming and future events. Cousins was in the meeting as the Flames were in a playoff race at the time and he wanted to see if he could secure open dates for round one. After the meeting I remember Cousins invited me to join him in his suite to watch the game between the Flames and Flyers that night and continue the discussions about scheduling playoff dates, which I accepted. And I'm glad I took him up on that because it was that night watching that game in person where it all clicked for me with the sport of hockey." - Ted Turner, Founder of TBS and Atlanta Flames owner, From ESPN's 30 for 30 "Blaze of Glory"

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Excerpt from
"Rink of Dreams: Growing Hockey in America's Sun Belt" by Scott Burnside

"When Ted told me after that Flyers game that he reconsidered on purchasing the Flames, I was astonished," Cousins told me. "And I had to say to him 'You know Ted I would love to you to keep the team here and would give you the team for free if I could, but this is out of my hands.' Because at time, the NHL had found buyers in Alberta to bring the team to Calgary and wanted me to advance talks with them as soon as possible. They figured they gave Atlanta a chance but the league wasn't going to take on another franchise to save, especially with the mess going on with St Louis, when there was a market in Canada willing to take on and unquestionably support a team."

And there was no better time than now for a team to be put in Calgary. Alberta's economy was surging off the back of high oil prices that saw unlimited amounts of money coming into the province and an influx of new people with dispensable income ready and willing to support a NHL team. Furthermore, unlike Atlanta at the time, Calgary had a rich history of supporting hockey at multiple levels of play going all the way back to the 1920s with the Calgary Tigers of the old Western Canadian Hockey League to as recent as the Calgary Cowboys of the recently dissolved WHA. It would be foolish for the NHL not to put a team in Calgary when the city was ready and willing to support a pro team that would easily be an instant rival for the up and coming Edmonton Oilers and their collection of young superstars.

"I was also very skeptical about how much he cared about the future of the team here, given my past offers to Ted that went nowhere and yet all of a sudden finally wanting to keep the team," Cousins added. "So I was shocked that after I told Ted about the current situation he completely changed his tone, looked me dead in the eye and said, 'Tom, I don't care what it will take, what it will cost or how many hoops I have to jump through. Just tell me what I need to do and who I need talk with at the NHL, because I will be damned if this city loses this team.' And at that moment I knew Ted was serious about saving the Flames. This wasn't about him taking them on because he needs to fill extra dates at the Omni. He really wanted to see the Flames stay here in Atlanta and thrive."
"I think the thing that sold the sport to me the most was the energy and the atmosphere I felt when taking in a game live. Seeing how many people from the city were in the stands of the arena, getting into the game, and how people in this city became invested as true fans of the sport and built a real grassroots fan base for the team," Turner told me. "I was in absolute disbelief. Add on the fact that I was able to see the beautiful side of the game of hockey with the playmaking from guys like Nilsson and Chouinard, it made me understand, both from a fan and a television producer perspective, why the city had adopted this sport as its own and that allowing this team to be taken away from Atlanta would be detrimental to the fans who had stuck by the team for years and the growth of hockey in the South as a whole."

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Article from The Atlanta Constitution from May 30th, 1980

Flames Here to Stay! Turner Saves Team at 11th Hour From Moving to Canada.
by Furman Bisher

It is a great day to be a hockey fan in the city of Atlanta. While there was many doubts about preventing relocation, those fears have been put to bed as Ted Turner's last minute ownership bid to keep the Flames in Atlanta was approved by the NHL Board of Governors last night over a bid from an ownership group in Calgary led by businessman Nelson Skalbania and oil trader Harley Hotchkiss that would have moved the Flames to Calgary. While the state of Georgia has traditionally been more synonymous for its College Football fandom and the Masters Tournament in the sporting world, Canada's national pastime of Ice Hockey has come south of the border and into the hearts of many in the state through the success of the Atlanta Flames. However, finances have not been kind to the team despite the product on the ice making many in Empire City of the South hockey crazy and turning out for games. Lack of partnerships with Atlanta based businesses such as Delta along with concerns about the quality of the Omni Coliseum's facilities also were an impetus for the NHL to suggest former majority owner Tom Cousins to consider selling the team out of state, and possibly even out of the country, to an ownership group that would take the team out of the state of Georgia. Multiple investors from American cities such as Dallas, Houston, and Seattle had approached Cousins on a deal to give a landing spot for the team that would allow him to maintain a stake in the team but discussions with all of those groups fell apart around mid February. It was at that point that NHL Commissioner John Ziegler stepped in and gave Cousins a deadline to make a deal with the Calgary ownership group if a local ownership group could not be found before June 1st.

The future of the Flames staying in Atlanta looked bleak in spite of many fans coming to games with banners reading "Save our Flames" and pleading with the NHL to not take away the team from Atlanta, with the movement reaching a fever pitch in the team's last home game of the season when the Flames got eliminated by the New York Rangers in the first round of the playoffs. When asked about the protests by Flames fans to not have the team moved on CBC's Hockey Night in Canada, Commissioner Ziegler responded with "We understand the frustration of the people of Atlanta not wanting a team they rooted for getting uprooted. Many in the league are sympathetic to the fact that they don't want to see a team, especially one as competitive as the Flames, have to move. The fact of the matter is this is still a business and there hasn't been adequate offers made by local ownership groups to cover the financial debts of the team and the NHL is not in a position to assist a third team with financial woes." Ziegler also reiterated the missed opportunities to make a deal in the middle of the season and stated "Unless Cousins can find someone in the city that can adequately take care of the financial health of the team, then he has to get a deal done with the city of Calgary because we can't allow this to stay in a state of limbo for another season." With many Flames fans were praying for a miracle, they got an answer to their prayers as developments in early May saw billionaire Ted Turner take a massive interest in the team and keeping them from moving. The owner of TBS put in a competitive bid that rivaled the ownership group in Calgary which would cover the teams debts and a commitment to invest in improvements to the Omni Coliseum. While the deal was agreed upon by Turner and Cousins, many in the NHL's Board of Governors were skeptical on giving their stamp of approval. The main sticking point being prior attempts to offer to ownership groups involving Turner falling through. Furthermore, negotiations from the Calgary ownership seemed to hold more sway with Board of Governors as part of their pitch was the guarantee of a new arena being built as one of the facilities coinciding with the 1988 Winter Olympics bid being made by Calgary. The area, being called the Saddledome, is said to seat at least 20,000 people, more than what the Omni Coliseum can currently seat, and will come with state of the art amenities and plentiful amounts of luxury boxes and club seating. Something that many in the world of sports see will become more necessary for arenas in the future to remain viable and produce revenues for teams.

The bid to keep the Flames in Atlanta was all in vain, but a meeting between Commissioner Ziegler and Turner two weeks ago discussing the current bidding war between his ownership group and Calgary's seemed to be what have tipped the scales in the favor of Atlanta in the eyes of the Board of Governors. According to sources, the promise by Turner to not just upgrade the current facilities of the Omni Coliseum and covering the team's debts, but also offering a major television rights agreement with Turner Broadcasting System to air NHL games of the regional broadcasts of the Atlanta Flames as well as possibly do select national broadcasts of games on Wednesday nights and Saturdays. While the details on the latter are still unclear, the leveraging of his cable empire was confirmed to be a big decider in the NHL granting the ownership of the Flames to Turner. "This was an important deal to get done for me and my ownership group," said Turner in a media conference call after getting the news from Toronto, "The Flames have built such a following and bond with the community of Atlanta and to have this team ripped away from the city and not do anything to stop it is something I could not live with. And while I hope the fine people of Calgary get another chance at an NHL team, I am happy to say that the Flames are here to stay and this is not the end of hockey down in Georgia, but rather it is just the beginning."

Last edited:
Why am I not surprised at Ted Turner's involvement--wonder what butterflies this will have...

Without giving too much away, given how Ted saved the Flames one would have to assume there is going to be some anger and resentment on Calgary's end that needs to be smoothed over.

Last edited:
I just had a terrifying thought: If Turner still buys WCW ITTL, we could very well have Vince Russo booking Holiday on Ice with chimpanzees.

Chapter Two
Chapter 2: The Calgary Screwjob

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Clip from the 1997 WWF Survivor Series Main Event live at the Molson Centre in Montreal, QC, Canada

"What happened? What happened? Did Hart give up to the Sharpshooter?" - Jim Ross

*ring announcer declares Shawn Michaels the winner via controversial submission as Michaels grabs the belt and walks away from ringside with Triple H visibly upset with fans throw garbage at him.*

"I didn't see a tap JR." - Jerry Lawler

"Oh man, you wanna talk about controversy. This crowd is absolutely livid and rightfully so. Shawn Michaels beat Bret Hart with a sharpshooter and is the WWF champion as Bret Hart stands in the middle of the ring in complete disbelief." - JR

*Michaels exits the arena as the camera pans to ringside and shows an angry Bret Hart glaring at Vince McMahon as Hart proceeds to spit on him and then grabs a microphone to cut a scathing promo for those in attendance*

"This is bullshit. You just couldn't let your ego get out of the way could you Vince ? You just had to kiss Shawn's ass. And yet I shouldn't be surprised. It's not like this is the first time a rich billionaire from the States screwed over Canadian sports fans. Why would it be any different this time?" - Bret Hart

"If you're still bitter about that, then why are you going to Atlanta to sign a contract at the CNN Center?" - Lawler

"Will you stop it King?" - JR

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"I can't say that, if I was in my predecessor's shoes at the time, I could have made a better choice that would have pleased both sides given the circumstances. Both Calgary and Atlanta deserved to have teams in the NHL. Both cities had ownership groups capable of financially supporting and maintaining a stable franchise and both had fanbases that were hockey crazy and willing to come to games to cheer on a team. Not only that, given how we have handled the growth of the league since, it was clear that taking a team away from Atlanta would have made what we have been able to accomplish now a lot more difficult. That said, the one thing I know that I would not have done as commissioner in the entire Flames fiasco is playing those two ownership groups off each other in the first place the way Ziegler did. Doing that almost cost the league not just one, but two markets that are important to the health of the National Hockey League both in Canada and the United States." - Gary Bettman, NHL commissioner, From ESPN's 30 for 30 "Blaze of Glory"
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Article from the sports section of the Calgary Herald from June 9th, 1980

NHL Fans across Canada Threaten Boycott after Calgary loses out to Atlanta

The business side of sports is not something many fans ever want to think about when it comes to whether or not a city gets a team. Unfortunately, that is what is at the forefront of many angry Canadians minds after news broke last Friday that the city of Atlanta would be holding on to the Flames when Ted Turner stepped in two weeks before team owner Tom Cousins' deadline of June 1st to find a new owner for the franchise. Many in Calgary thought that Turner had come in too little to late and that Cousins would have to agree to the relocation bid put forward by the city of Calgary that was headed by Harley Hotchkiss and Nelson Skalbania, largely on the back of the construction of the 20,000 seat Saddledome that will be part of Calgary's bid for the 1988 Winter Olympics and would have been the new home of the Flames after the arena would be completed by fall of 1983 after a temporary stay in the 7000 seat Stampede Corral. However, this would not come to pass as Turner raised the stakes when he is rumored to have packaged as a part of his ownership agreement an exclusive television rights contract in the States between Turner Broadcasting and the NHL that was announced last Wednesday. The agreement would see TBS giving the NHL $9 Million a season from now until 1985, in which the network would exclusively air select NHL games nationally in the United States on both a Thursday night primetime slot and Saturdays on top of TBS' promise to cover all the Atlanta Flames' games in all of TBS' Southeastern regional affiliates. Commissioner Zieger described the agreement between the NHL and TBS as "a landmark deal that finally gives us a stable television presence here in the States" as the NHL has bounced back and forth between NBC and CBS for coverage of its games. When asked by reporters about how much did Turner's television empire had to play with the Flames staying in Atlanta, the Commissioner did not give a concrete answer only saying that Turner's dedication to giving a stable television partner was a big step in drawing new eyes to the sport south of the border.

One person who was not quiet over Calgary getting snubbed was Harley Hotchkiss, who was absolutely stunned when he got the news from the league offices on May 30th in Toronto that the NHL would favor keeping the Flames in Atlanta rather than having them move to Calgary. "The fact that the NHL can play favorites and pass over an ownership group that was clearly a more stable situation than the one in Atlanta and act like TV money wasn't a deciding factor in all of this is ridiculous," Hotchkiss told Calgary media Wednesday following the league's announcement of their new television agreement. "Not only did we have a clearer business plan for the future of the franchise, we had a better arena plan too, and we were getting a bigger drive for season tickets. Of the 7000 seats we would have to fill in Stampede Corral, we had at least triple that in terms of people who were willing to make deposits. Add in all the small business support we had and we should have been a shoe in. But I guess the NHL's decided chasing the American dollar is more important than the Canadian one. It's a real shame." Another person who was vocal in his displeasure over Turner's purchase of the Flames is Don Cherry. The former NHL coach did not hold back his opinions following the news of Calgary being denied a team while on what was supposed to be a NHL Draft special of Hockey Night in Canada over the weekend as a guest commentator for CBC. In a tirade that made headlines in both Canada and the United States, Cherry vented his frustration saying the league blocking Calgary was "a national travesty and betrayal" by the league and that Commissioner Ziegler and the Board of Governors should be investigated by Canadian parliament for collusion. "For this league to undercut a Canadian city that clearly had the ability to support a team and would have had a modern arena for them to play in over a need for television revenues is a disgrace," Cherry shouted on CBC, "How the Board of Governors could possibly in good conscience allow this Southern yokel Ted Turner, that's right a yokel, to keep a team that he didn't want two to three years ago at the last minute and the way they strung the good people of Calgary along is absolutely disgusting!" Cherry's emotional sentiments, while over the top, struck a chord with many Canadian hockey fans both in and outside of Alberta. Fans of Canadian based NHL teams showed their distaste for the league's decision by protesting outside of team arenas calling for the firing of the Commissioner for what many see as a mishandling of the situation with the Flames with some even calling for people to sell off season ticket packages and boycott the league. Even some political leaders weighed in on the matter, albeit light heartedly, as Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau in a press conference jokingly weighed in saying that, "I have been following that and its unfortunate the NHL handled it the way they did, considering it is our national sport. However, to be honest I'm not surprised that the Flames didn't come up north to Calgary. Ever since 1812, Americans haven't really been too keen on bringing fires up to Canada." When we reached out to the NHL for comment about the fan protests in Canada, they released a statement stating they understand the frustration that the people of Calgary and others were feeling about how Calgary lost out on the Flames and that they will be in talks with the ownership group headed by Hotchkiss about the future prospects of the city getting a team.

Last edited:
I just had a terrifying thought: If Turner still buys WCW ITTL, we could very well have Vince Russo booking Holiday on Ice with chimpanzees.

giphy.gif

An NHL time-line?

One where the league grows to become a full fledged member of the Big Four audience-wise?

Instantly watched.

Also: I know that this is perhaps a bit too far ahead of where we are right now, but I can't help but feel that for the Flames to become an even bigger success, they'd need a geographic rival, something they very much lacked once the NHL made it clear neither the Aeros nor the Bulls would be let in. Heck, even with Gretzky and the cup run, 1993 marked a significant upturn in the aforementioned Kings' attendance IOTL because they now had The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim right around the corner to force a rivalry.

IOTL, the Rockies would end up moving from Denver in 1982. I wonder if Houston or Tampa make it so Russo can't wear that Devils jersey here...

Last edited:
An NHL time-line?

One where the league grows to become a full fledged member of the Big Four audience-wise?

Instantly watched.

Also: I know that this is perhaps a bit too far ahead of where we are right now, but I can't help but feel that for the Flames to become an even bigger success, they'd need a geographic rival, something they very much lacked once the NHL made it clear neither the Aeros nor the Bulls would be let in. Heck, even with Gretzky and the cup run, 1993 marked a significant upturn in the aforementioned Kings' attendance IOTL because they now had The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim right around the corner to force a rivalry.

IOTL, the Rockies would end up moving from Denver in 1982. I wonder if Houston or Tampa make it so Russo can't wear that Devils jersey here...

It sure would make for some intense playoff series to have another team in the South.

Last edited:
Chapter Three - Part One
Chapter 3: The 1980 NHL Draft – Part 1: A Slow Burning Tension

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
“While the Flames have grown to become the flag bearers for hockey in the South, them being here almost didn’t happen. And I don’t mean in the Stanley Cup Finals, I mean playing in the city of Atlanta in general. Despite a decade of decent seasons and consistent playoff appearances in A-Town, the future of the Flames in Fulton County looked bleak after hostile competition from the WHA saw the team’s finances dip into the red. These crippling debts led to owner Tom Cousins scrambling to find a buyer by 1979-80 season and if he couldn’t make the sale on his own before June 1st, the league would step in on his behalf and complete the sale with an ownership group in Calgary. Being on the verge of moving to Canada to, Ted Turner swooped in the final month before the deadline and won an intense and controversial bidding war to keep the team in Georgia. While this led to many hurt feelings between the league and Calgary and the rest of Canada that would need to be ironed out at the draft, the city of Atlanta rejoiced as Turner promised that this was just the beginning of hockey’s growth in the state and a promise to give the fans a serious contender. These promises would be backed up with the moves the Flames would make during the 1980 NHL Draft, which helped build the foundation for the team going into the decade.” – Snippet from SB Nation’s Rewinder EpisodeThe Game Winning Goal in the 89 Finals between the Kings and Flames needs a deep rewind”
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Excerpt from "Rink of Dreams: Growing Hockey in America's Sun Belt" by Scott Burnside

With the dust settled and Atlanta’s future as an NHL city secured, focus around the league quickly shifted from the future of the Flames to the start of the offseason with the NHL Draft. An offseason that were rough waters for legendary Flames General Manager Cliff Fletcher and then Head Coach Al MacNeil to navigate through due to the uncertainty around the team’s future home. At the height of the ownership bidding war, many players on the Flames expressed concern about the situation with some even asking the front office to get traded before June so they could have a guarantee of where they were going to be ahead of the start of the 1980-81 season. Despite not knowing the fate of the franchise brought about from the bidding war between Turner and Hotchkiss, Fletcher and MacNeil kept the team headstrong and was able to manage the tension and panic players had as they and the rest of the Flames’ front office pressed on and continued planning what the team was going to do to improve the team starting with the 1980 NHL draft. “I don’t know how MacNeil and I were able to make it through that offseason without having an aneurysm,” Fletcher said jokingly. “I mean, planning out what you are going to do in a normal offseason can be stressful enough as it is. Add in the fact that you don’t know where your team will be based and players are calling you about wanting out because they don’t know if they need to pack up and move their family or not, it’s enough to make a man turn to the bottle.”

“Cliff and I were definitely in a tough spot because, while we were just as much out of the loop as the players were on this, we had to be the voice of calm for the boys in the locker room and the staff,” MacNeil said. “The fact is none of us knew what would happen. We (Cliff and I) got bits and pieces from Cousins but nothing that was ever 100% official you know. So at the end of the day, all of us had to just keep our heads down and carry out the offseason as usual like nothing was going on. The team couldn’t just hit pause because of a change in ownership and I made that clear to the guys in the locker room that they couldn’t focus on something they had no control over. All that we could do was build upon last season, work hard in preparation for preseason in September and show the new bosses that this was a team worth investing in.”

While many players and staff in the Flames organization rallied behind Fletcher and MacNeil’s message, one player that broke with the group and showed open discontent was Goalie Jim Craig. A member of the US Olympic Hockey team who won the gold medal in 1980 and a stand out at Boston University, Craig was selected by the Flames in the 1977 Draft. After the Olympics, Craig was brought up to the NHL by Cousins to help boost ticket revenues and attract business partnerships for the team. This would turn out to be a disaster, as Craig played horribly in four games going 1-2-1 while giving up almost four goals a game on average and was not able to move the needle for the team to gain greater ticket and sponsorship revenues. As a result of his poor performances, Craig would find himself being the third wheel to the goalie duo of team legend Dan Bouchard and journeyman Pat Riggin as the Olympian found himself most nights sitting the owner’s box then on the bench or in the crease. This snub angered Craig throughout the rest of the season as he felt he wasn’t being given a fair shot, causing a persistent wave of trade rumors involving Craig going into the playoffs. After the Flames lost to the Rangers in the first round, Craig gave an exclusive interview of Flames’ management to Sports Illustrated’s editor Gil Rogin weeks after the Flames’ elimination that openly criticized out MacNeil as a “bush league coach.”

“If you put that team led by that joke of a coach against the Olympic team I played for under Coach Brooks, we would have handed them an embarrassing loss. No doubt in my mind. And don’t try and tell me that’s unrealistic because of the fact that they’re pros and we were amateurs, okay? We played against pro caliber players in Lake Placid that played for the USSR and beat them handedly on our way to a gold medal. Most of the teams in the NHL can’t do that in exhibition games and this team I’m on now certainly couldn’t. Why? Because we actually had a guy behind the bench who knew what he was doing unlike this bush leaguer from the minors!”

While Craig’s comments became a focus of the Flames offseason early on, they would fade into the background as the calendar went from April to May. However, tensions between Craig and the team were just warming up and would not reach fever pitch until the week of the draft.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Clip from The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, aired September 1st, 1980

"I'd like to welcome on my next guest on the show tonight. This man was a key part in the US Olympic hockey team beating the Soviets and winning the gold medal during the Winter Olympics. Ladies and Gentlemen, Jim Craig!" - Carson

*crowd applauds and Carson's band plays music as Jim Craig makes his way to onto the set and sits next to Carson*

"Thank you so much for having me on Johnny. " - Craig

"Thank you for coming on. It's a pleasure to have an excellent Olympian, now turned pro athlete like yourself on the show." - Carson

"It's an honor to be invited." - Craig

"I certainly hope so. I wouldn't want to have this go sideways and have you call up the New York Times saying we're a bush league show." - Carson

*Craig and the audience bursts into laughter as Carson begins to grin*

"Because I don't know if I could live with myself if that was out there in the press quite frankly. So if there is anyone you want me to fire, tell me right now and they'll be gone." - Carson

*Craig and the audience continues to laugh*

"I think I echo the opinions of everyone in America when saying this Johnny, there is no way you could be considered to be bush league." - Carson

"Well that's a relief." - Carson

Last edited: