A Blank Map Thread

@msmp here are the blank maps you wanted.

These are blank versions of a map by @Bob Hope with the first one (the one with the frame) having some additions like the tip of Italy, southern Sardinia, and a scale (I'd say that the scale is pretty accurate, but I'm not sure if its 100% perfect, I resized a map of France with a scale to pretty much perfectly fit this map, and then traced and expanded the scale)

Anyway, if you need a nice blank map if Central Europe (the greater German area, Italy, and most of Poland, France and the Balkans), like msmp seems to, these might be what you're looking for.

[edit: this is specifically a pre-1600 map. It shows no Dutch land reclamation. I might do another one where the land has been reclaimed but I can't make any promises.]

L6Q7mig.png

h11yl46.png

Attachments

• central Europe Immense.png
    255.6 KB · Views: 276
  • central Europe Immense better.png
    330.4 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
I appreciated your earlier maps with rivers because they show early transportation routes and likely places to find fertile land.
Secondary are maps showing mountain ranges because mountain ranges are obstacles to trade and military invasion.

Straight borders are amusing because they are often drawn by long-dead white men who never toured the terrain.
For example the border dividing Alberta and British Columbia is straight line (pointed north) above the latitude of Edmonton.
It looks like land surveyors/map-makers got tired and never toured the north-east corner of B.C. If they had toured, they would have realized that th the Peace River originates in B.C. then drains into Northwestern Alberta. Today, while the upper Peace River District maybe governed by Victoria, most transportation and commercial links are with Edmonton.

Straight lines are rough approximations across desert or arctic tundra.
Sadly, straight borders in Africa often bisected traditional tribal areas and forced small sects of two or three different tribes into a single country.

@msmp here are the blank maps you wanted.

These are blank versions of a map by @Bob Hope with the first one (the one with the frame) having some additions like the tip of Italy, southern Sardinia, and a scale (I'd say that the scale is pretty accurate, but I'm not sure if its 100% perfect, I resized a map of France with a scale to pretty much perfectly fit this map, and then traced and expanded the scale)

Anyway, if you need a nice blank map if Central Europe (the greater German area, Italy, and most of Poland, France and the Balkans), like msmp seems to, these might be what you're looking for.
these are historic maps of europe, looking at the situation in the netherlands, i'd say pre-1600 at least, since it shows no land reclaimed.

Oof. Well I'm too lazy to fix that right now. Damn. Maybe I should. Someone should do an ISOT TL that makes this the situation in 1600.
easiest fix would be the top right modern situation, can alter it to approx 1200AD situation, and then the map can function as a 1200AD map
old map of that situation can be found on the dutch wiki

bit like this:
correction.png

(can paste it onto yr map)

Last edited:
This is a blank map of Germany, with all districts (Kreis) and Regierungsbezirke. Feel free to use it.

Note: the thinnest borders represent boundaries among different Kreise. One unit thicker, borders among current Regierungsbezirke (in NRW, Bavaria, BW, and Hesse currently). The thickest ones represent borders among Länder and countries bordering Germany, as well as coastlines.
DeutschlandBRKarteW.png

As some sort of follow-up, here's a blank map of France, with all of its departments and regions (including outside of Europe) shown. Feel free to use it.
FRDepmap.png

Hi again! This is a follow-up, this time with a blank map of Russia. White means it's Russian territory, without disputes. Light grey means disputed (Crimea and South Kurils). Thin border means a possible future merger of federal subjects. In Yakutia, the thin border simply indicates all historical time zone boundaries since 1991. Light grey borders within federal subjects mean that that federal subject used to be 2+ separate federal subjects. Feel free to use it.

MapRU.png

I'll be posting a map of the Philippines here, combining elevation and political maps as one. This one includes rivers. Unfortunately, due to the file size, I'll be posting it in multiple parts.