A Blank Map Thread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Matt, Dec 22, 2005.

1. wietze Figment of my own Imagination

i recall some of those maps being posted in this thread

2. Don Quijote Orange leaf eating giraffe

Europe and East Asia from the wiki. Unfortunately it doesn't look like you can merge them, and I don't think there's a whole world version. There's another version of the Europe map here, but with more of North Africa included. Also try searching for 'ck2 map'; you'll get quite a lot of similar style maps to the one you have, but with larger provinces.

3. Me! "HJ" -Aron McNoob

born, raised and reside in the state of Michigen
    hello! i am new here and i was requesting a blank map of the Spanish States, please and thank you!

4. Eli.is.crazy #synthsarepeopletoo

Go on the MBAM main thread and look for europe @Me!

5. Me! "HJ" -Aron McNoob

can i have a link please

6. Eli.is.crazy #synthsarepeopletoo

dood, go to the forums, click on MBAM main thread, and look for the europe map

7. Me! "HJ" -Aron McNoob

ok

8. NolanFoster Your dystopia is my playground

Ten thousand thanks. It looks like I might have to commission something, then. Those maps have the density of provinces I want (too many for the northeastern parts of European Russia). But in a fresh start I would lay down these rules:

-provinces should follow all historical international borders from 1790-Present (excepting the HRE's minor internal borders and bizarre stuff).
    -provinces should follow major internal federal or administrative divisions(i.e. US states, Russian republics)
    -provinces should follow notable territorial claims.
    -provinces should follow the historical borders of unrecognized states.
    -provinces should follow all major geographic boundaries (mountain ranges, mid-sized to large/notable rivers, boundaries between climate zones, etc.)
    -provinces should follow historical ethnic/linguistic/religious boundaries from 1790-Present.
    -provinces should follow interesting/plausible border possibilities.
    -provinces should be shaped in a way so that adding or taking away a province from a nation shouldn't make an ugly border in most cases. No super weird shapes. Those maps from the wiki actually do this well for part of Europe.
    -major cities should correspond to one province. Exceptions to this could be cities which have been divided historically, like Berlin and Jerusalem.

I'm sure there would be other rules, like format, projection, etc. It's a tall order, yeah. But I think something like this would be an invaluable resource to the whole forum. Maybe this could be a collective commission with a gofundme? I would donate $50 to that.

9. Miner FLAGS FLAGS FLAGS

Here's one from Lascupa0788.

[​IMG]

10. Yanranay Baron of Leuk

I have recently stumbled across a map for a DH mod that might fit your description.
    It is absolutely massive however (talking about 30000x12000 for the entire map) and doesn't include northern Siberia, northern Canada and Antarctica, as most other Paradox maps.
    This is only Europe, if you are interested in the rest of the map and think your computer can handle it, let me know.
    https://imgur.com/a/pJAEN

Otherwise I've been interested in creating such a map for quite a some time now but never had the drive to make a list of all the relevant borders and provinces that would be required. If you would specify some of your criteria for a certain region (i.E. Western Europe or similar) I can give it a shot on a smaller scale and we'll see how to go on.

11. Eli.is.crazy #synthsarepeopletoo

EcuEp.jpg

12. Don Quijote Orange leaf eating giraffe

Unfortunately the ones I linked to are all random internally, although they roughly follow international borders. Have you thought about using a hex map?

13. Yanranay Baron of Leuk

Well its not supposed to be a jpg. Seeing that the image is about 10000x6000 it might just be the imgur preview messing up. Try downloading it.

14. Yanranay Baron of Leuk

E3Map - blank map of Europe v1.0 Kopie [www.imagesplitter.net]-0-0.png E3Map - blank map of Europe v1.0 Kopie [www.imagesplitter.net]-0-1.png E3Map - blank map of Europe v1.0 Kopie [www.imagesplitter.net]-1-0.png E3Map - blank map of Europe v1.0 Kopie [www.imagesplitter.net]-1-1.png
    @NolanFoster
    Alright it should be editable now. You'll have to recombine them on your own since this site and imgur won't handle the entire image correctly.

15. Rex Anglorum A white knight in the most literal sense

A blank map of Great Britain with borders of the Anglo-Saxon Heptarchy. Sussex, Essex, and Middlesex are shown as part of Wessex. Please refrain from complaining about inaccuracies.
    heptarchy.png

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    JJohnson and Ddmkm122 like this.
  16. Alex Richards Member of the Tepid Water Party Donor

Um, why not? If the map's supposed to for others to use, then absolutely they should be made aware where there are mistakes, if it's for personal use, then fine but still a bit odd.

I mean for starters, why have you merged Essex and Sussex into Wessex (Middlesex was probably part of Essex for the most part and not a separate Kingdom). And what date is this supposed to be of?

17. Rex Anglorum A white knight in the most literal sense

The year is 802, a time in which Essex, Sussex, and Middlesex were under Wessex' hegemony.

If there are so many inaccuracies in my map, just make your own. Every computer comes with Microsoft Paint.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  18. merkmuds Singularitarian/Transhumanist

Don't you want to improve your work?

19. Alex Richards Member of the Tepid Water Party Donor

Well, the former is at least a valid explanation but would have been useful to know before.

As for the latter point, I can't work out the attitude- if the map's just for your use, why post it here (rather than the normal Map Thread) if you don't want improvements. If it's for others to use, why be so defensive about errors.

20. Rex Anglorum A white knight in the most literal sense

I’m working on a new version right now.

Ddmkm122 likes this.