A Blank Map Thread

Here's a challenge:

An equirectangular map with political borders, primary and secondary subdivisions (as of 2017), topographic boundaries in North America, Europe and Australia and the following changes:

1) Widen the Atlantic by 1350 miles, putting the Prime Meridian in Lisbon instead of Greenwich. Which creates a landbridge that connects Asia to North America, erasing the Bering Strait off the map and shrinking the Bering Sea. To that extent, it would be like turning the Russian urban locality of Egvekinot (66.3205 degrees North and 179.1184 degrees West) into the next-door neighbor of Teller, Alaska.

2) Drag Australia so far down southward that the distance between it and Antarctica is cut by half.

Anyone want to make a 2m sea level rise map? That's roughly the estimate for 2100, which makes it a could amount to have.

I would make it, but I have lots of schoolwork, so it wouldn't be ready for a while.

Anyone want to make a 2m sea level rise map? That's roughly the estimate for 2100, which makes it a could amount to have.

I would make it, but I have lots of schoolwork, so it wouldn't be ready for a while.

According to the UN IPCC AR5 report (the most recent UN climate change report, representing the scientific consensus), the sea level will rise by 0.45-0.85m by 2100 (see page 1180 at the link), assuming a "business as usual" approach (RCP8.5). Assuming absolutely nothing is done to combat global warming, sea level rise will not reach 2m until 2200 at the earliest (5% confidence) or 2300 (50% confidence) (page 1188).

That being said, this is my favorite resource. Set it for 0.6 or 0.9 meters (default is in feet, for some reason) and check it out!

EDIT: A 1m sea level rise is here, courtesy of @Woolly Mammoth. More than the UN estimate, but pretty close.

Last edited:
According to the UN IPCC AR5 report (the most recent UN climate change report, representing the scientific consensus), the sea level will rise by 0.45-0.85m by 2100 (see page 1180 at the link), assuming a "business as usual" approach (RCP8.5). Assuming absolutely nothing is done to combat global warming, sea level rise will not reach 2m until 2200 at the earliest (5% confidence) or 2300 (50% confidence) (page 1188).

That being said, this is my favorite resource. Set it for 0.6 or 0.9 meters (default is in feet, for some reason) and check it out!

EDIT: A 1m sea level rise is here, courtesy of @Woolly Mammoth. More than the UN estimate, but pretty close.

Thanks (though I swear a number of things put it at 1.5m with business as usual, and 2m as a pessimistic option).

Another quest for y'all though. I found this amazing elevation map of Quebec, and get the impression they exist for all provinces... but I can't find any (other than NB). Anyone able to help? (Found here if that helps)

Thanks (though I swear a number of things put it at 1.5m with business as usual, and 2m as a pessimistic option).

Yeah, the models still have fairly high systematic uncertainties. Your observation of a number of reports saying 1.5-2m is likely an artifact of reporting bias. If a new projection indicates a sea level rise of 0.2m by 2100, it is unlikely to be reported by the popular press, while an estimate of 2m is much scarier and much more likely to be reported. The UN IPCC assessments take all reputable estimates published in reputable journals and performs a meta-analysis (of sorts) to find the "consensus" estimate.

Sorry to geek out on you like this, but the statistics of climate change models is one of my (weirdest) hobbies.

Yeah, the models still have fairly high systematic uncertainties. Your observation of a number of reports saying 1.5-2m is likely an artifact of reporting bias. If a new projection indicates a sea level rise of 0.2m by 2100, it is unlikely to be reported by the popular press, while an estimate of 2m is much scarier and much more likely to be reported. The UN IPCC assessments take all reputable estimates published in reputable journals and performs a meta-analysis (of sorts) to find the "consensus" estimate.

Sorry to geek out on you like this, but the statistics of climate change models is one of my (weirdest) hobbies.
It wasn't general reporting, but a graph showing high, low, and medium estimate ranges... it was also a rather long term one, and possibly a bit older.

Might need a little refining on my estimate there; since I made the map I think I have seen a more accurate slightly smaller increase in the Caspian Sea particularly where it encroaches into Kazakhstan in the north. Also the Netherlands flooding is unlikely to actually occur in most scenarios because they have the socio-economic coping capacity to afford mitigation efforts.

These estimates are way conservative.

They ignore the tipping point that could accelerate the melting of the ice caps of Greenland and Antarctica. Several things could suddenly happen- the oceans warm enough that the dissolved methane bubble out and/or the arboreal forests warm and the methane bubbles out of the previously frozen ground.

Huh, I had read a report that argued that there was a (small-tiny, actually) chance that there could be 2.5 meters of sea level rise by 2100, due to the fact that the West Antarctic Ice Sheet is less stable than previously thought.Even so, it said it was more likely that sea levels would be between 1 and 1.5 meters.

I'm currently trying to find it again, but I thought it was intriguing.

EDIT: Here it is: http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/aa6512/meta

It's assuming a worst-case scenario though.

Last edited: